Motorcycle and car battery business

hlfourie

Hi everyone, I have just invested in a large industrial charger and battery testing machinery. My idea is to start a battery refurbishing shop that will service and restore old liquid acid batteries, around 90% of batteries can be restored using my method, that I will resell with a six months warranty. Do you think this will be a workable idea? And also does anybody know the details for the larger new battery suppliers here in Ubon, who might be interested in placing consignment batteries batteries in my shop for new battery sales.

Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hi thanks for the reply, if you read my post, you would notice I did not ask if it's a workable idea, I asked for some ideas and opinions as I know it is workable, just hoping for some input from some business savvy people that probably make it more workable. Errrr understand now?

• Like 1

Hi thanks for the reply, if you read my post, you would notice I did not ask if it's a workable idea, I asked for some ideas and opinions as I know it is workable, just hoping for some input from some business savvy people that probably make it more workable. Errrr understand now?

quote '' Do you think this will be a workable idea?''

​is that not a quote from your OP, asking for ideas and with an attitude, you are going to get lets of positive feed back here

You gonna refurbish dead batteries?

I suggest you take a patent on that as quickly as possible, because nobody in the world has ever been able to do that.

You gonna do that aside of your Whisky franchise?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/789233-whiskey-franchise/

I suggest, don't give up the teacher job.

once the whisky making flops he could use the still to make the distilled water for the batteries.

Hi thanks for the reply, if you read your post, you would notice that you did infact ask if it was a workable idea.

Errrr understand now?

Yesterday I had to get my car battery replaced roadside. After chatting to the mechanic here's what I learned.

Here in the Middle East, car batteries don't last very long due to high temperatures. Generally, they last about 1 to 2 years before needing replacement.

Used car batteries are not allowed to be resold here in UAE because they were often refurbished for nefarious reasons. However there is free zone company that refurbishes and exports them to Afghanistan, India and Pakistan, hopefully not for bad reasons.

The company I called have a fleet of 10 roadside assistance trucks, operating on a 24 hour schedule. Each mechanic handles about 6-10 call outs a day with an average gross of about $100/service. Service includes battery, roadside assistance, replacement and battery disposal.

When I crunched the numbers in my head, I realized there is a sustainable business model here. Of course this company has competition too, but with efficient reliable service they set themselves ahead of the pack (not difficult to do here in the gulf where services are not so reliable).

I know that this isn't exactly the business that you are in but I guess a roadside assistance battery replacement business wouldn't be too hard to do in Thailand. Cars need maintenance everywhere that there are cars. I'm sure these companies exist, I never really looked into it.

Consider starting with a small town or district and gradually expanding to other territories. Build up a good reputation and strong branding and all the good stuff.

Good luck. Don't be put down by negative comments.

if don mega can't find fault, how will he fun?

it is very workable.

Hi everyone, thanks for the posts. Three days now into the battery industry, new to me but has started beyond expectations. Oh and by the way my wife's whisky business is booming, so not a bad investment at all. If you guys need any direction or business advice advice, please don't be shy to contact me.

Hi everyone, thanks for the posts. Three days now into the battery industry, new to me but has started beyond expectations. Oh and by the way my wife's whisky business is booming, so not a bad investment at all. If you guys need any direction or business advice advice, please don't be shy to contact me.

How about some advice regarding trolling, seems you have a master degree in that.

Trolling? Is there something wrong with your head, I was speaking about my success and was kindly offering advice to people like you, never mind you are obviously American so that explains your lack of brain cells and ability to just be humble and ask for advice when offered. Have a great day now

Good to hear it has proven to be a sound business idea and a success, you should consider selling franchises.

what is the average cost of a refurbished scooter battery and warranty does it come with?

Edited by Don Mega

It is not exactly refurbishing, more like an battery exchange. You have a bust battery, I will exchange for another a second hand one, depending on the condition, if it looks like I can fix the battery and you want a working battery. I'll give 100baht for the dead battery and charge 300 for the second hand one that I have rejuvenated. Sorry, don't want to go into to much detail, many idiots on this forum.

It is not exactly refurbishing, more like an battery exchange. You have a bust battery, I will exchange for another a second hand one, depending on the condition, if it looks like I can fix the battery and you want a working battery. I'll give 100baht for the dead battery and charge 300 for the second hand one that I have rejuvenated. Sorry, don't want to go into to much detail, many idiots on this forum.

I was talking scooter batteries.

My car is automatic, hell will freeze over before I expose myself to the possibility of being stranded due to being cheap and buying a secondhand battery..... yes I know new batteries also die but as general rule of thumb they will provide reliable power for atleast 18 months.... your secondhand battery might only last 18 days and your 6 month warranty will be useless to me if iam 1000's of KM away from you on a trip..... unless of course your warranty allows for re-reimbursement of a new battery replacement.

Edited by Don Mega

So revenue is 200 baht per battery, minus investment and labor?

Mate you gonna be rich in no time.

Rejuvanating old batteries by desulfation is possible but you have no way of knowing how far gone a battery is and if it can be coaxed back into life. You would normally cut the top off and get the debris out after the process and clean it out before plastic welding it back on. If not you run the risk of shorted cells and there goes the battery you just paid 100 baht for. That is what the indians do as another poster mentioned.

Then you have the fact that most thais are untrusting of any farang business of this type and they already know how to get the most out of a battery. I assume your wife will be running the business? You are going to be doing the desulfation process yourself? Of course you run the risk of having immigration catch you out or are you going to set up a company, work permits etc for a 200 baht profit on each car battery? (maybe one a day)

Btw. If you have no experience in batteries i hope you know what safety precautions to take. Uncle somchai bending over to peer at a battery being heavily charged will make quite a mess of the surroundings.

• Like 1

Hi Bung thanks for the detailed post. I have experience in the industry and it is possible to check the individual cells of the battery to see that there are no dead cells, because then I won't buy it. My wife's sister will be running the business I will train her to do the desulphation. She will also be doing general motorcycle repairs. She is not the feminine type of female, so will be quite capable.