Thaksin Reaches A Political Dead-end : The Nation

george

The Nation Editorial:

Thaksin reaches a political dead-end

After struggling to cling to power for the past seven or eight months, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra now appears to be heading towards what his critics describe as an imminent political dead-end.

One outgoing senator, who asked not to be named, said: "Five years ago, Thaksin's popularity was as wide as an eight-lane superhighway. No one could beat him. However, his karma is approaching an end because of his improper deeds since the start of this year.

Analysis

"Now, his popularity is dwindling rapidly, and Thaksin has probably entered into a dead-end with no way out, due to his own miscalculations."

The senator, one of 70 to 80 non-partisan members of the Upper House, said Thaksin was now being pressured on several fronts to quit politics.

"First, Pinij Charusombat, the caretaker public health minister and leader of a Thai Rak Thai Party faction, has publicly announced that he and caretaker deputy premier and Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripitak will not accept posts in a new Thaksin Cabinet.

"Second, Thaksin is anxiously awaiting a Criminal Court ruling on whether a perjury case against him while he was still the chief executive of a cable-TV firm will be accepted. The final ruling is due on October 16.

"Third, the Constitution Court will soon deliver a verdict on whether the Thai Rak Thai Party will be dissolved due to its alleged hiring of small parties to field candidates in the April 2 election," the senator said.

In addition, the next election is unlikely to be held on October 15 as scheduled because the Senate will be unable to select five new election commissioners by next Thursday's deadline.

The senator said September 5 was probably the earliest date by which all five new members of the Election Commission would be selected.

"All caretaker senators have agreed that we need a total of 20 days to examine the background and qualifications of the 10 nominees for final selection of the EC members.

"As a result, we won't have these new commissioners by the August 24 deadline and the decree for the next poll to take place on October 15 will probably be null and void. A new election date will have to be scheduled later.

"In this scenario, Thaksin and his Thai Rak Thai Party will have a reduced advantage at the polls. The later the polls are held, the more difficult they will find it to win as many votes as before," he said.

Meanwhile, a Thai Rak Thai source said it was likely that Somkid would be Thaksin's successor, if the latter eventually decides not to take up the premiership.

"Politicking inside the TRT has intensified," the source said. "A large faction of 120 former MPs together with a smaller faction of 20 MPs have backed Somkid as the next premier in the event that Thaksin is forced to step aside.

"These two factions want Thaksin to announce an early decision that he will not accept the premiership, because they believe Thaksin can no longer govern, even though Thai Rak Thai might win the next poll.

"In such an event, Somkid is probably the best choice as Thaksin's successor because other choices may be seen as Thaksin's puppets," the Thai Rak Thai source said.

At this juncture, it remains difficult to read Thaksin's mind, because his final decision on whether or not he will take up the premiership will be based on the number of Thai Rak Thai candidates that win in the next election.

Nophakhun Limsamarnphun,

Somroutai Sapsomboon

-- The Nation 2006-08-18

Now I know its nice to have money and it's more comfortable to not lose face but surely you lose more face by sliding down the greasy pole by your fingernails than walking away with dignity?

Can someone explain the mindset to me here. Somewhere along the line face has become aligned with power.

Where is the dhamma teaching in all this? I presume at one time face meant wisdom, dignity, self respect and maybe a little pride.

Where and when did it become "he with the most marbles?"

A senator who asked not to be named? That must be the only politician in Thailand with manners and with a shred of honesty. Although the not naming thing, shows that he still likes to grap a bit of money in the lobby circuit. Wake up! It does not matter if you get bitten by a dog or a cat, they are all scum!

Now I know its nice to have money and it's more comfortable to not lose face but surely you lose more face by sliding down the greasy pole by your fingernails than walking away with dignity?

Can someone explain the mindset to me here. Somewhere along the line face has become aligned with power.

Where is the dhamma teaching in all this? I presume at one time face meant wisdom, dignity, self respect and maybe a little pride.

IS THAT WHERE THE CLICHE "HE'S LOST HIS MARBLES" CAME FROM. Wake up//'dude's' arrogant, corrupt, etc. follow my link to get YOUR OWN OFF FOR 'SURE' BANK A/C.

Can someone explain the mindset to me here.

my guess is mr 't' s missus understands that the family require at least another term of a government that will be loyal to the shinawatra clan so as not to risk losing the financial gains made by the family in the last 6-7 years. political expediency might entail throwing mr moneybags to the wolves , which I am sure she does not want..

..Where is the dhamma teaching in all this? I presume at one time face meant wisdom, dignity, self respect and maybe a little pride.

Well, you're not really serious, are you?

And that thing with the marbles goes way back far beyond Ceasars times.....he probably needs sleeping pills every night, is on Prozac, name it and don't worry if he isn't paying right now - he'll be paying any time soon - for the rest of his little forsaken life, all clad in gold and silk...he's megalopowermaniac and this will consume him one day, why worry?

We hear a lot about the criminal psychopath but little about the political psychopath.

Thaksin is clearly a psychopath and meglomaniac who knows no boundaries in his efforts to stay in power.

His need to stay in power now only relates to protecting the Shin deal and receiving the rest of his cash.

His pathetic hope selling in the North East shows he is above all a cunning bastard who knows where the votes lie.

The traits of the psychopath are a lack of empathy, remorse or guilt for their actions.

They will constantly plan, scheme, plot and play mind games to further their own warped agenda.

Mahathir in Malaysia is another one who thinks the world will stop spinning if he is not around to run things.

Today on Thai TV, Lee Quan Yu from Singapore was on. This reptile is 85 and still running the show from behind the scenes.

In Thai they use the term "thaae kae" to describe the Chinese patriarchal leader of a family or clan. This is blown way out of proportion with the likes of Thaksin who wants to control the whole country like it is his own private company or family.

Hardly democratic is it?

Then there is talk of Barnharn resurfacing. Now he is very short. Now short men and their problems is another story indeed..............

Oh no! Not Banharn again?!? :D:D Amazing how much power these little mafia types wield here.

They obviously know where all the bodies are buried / loot is stored. Give the little man credit though, he's done pretty good for an illegal immigrant. :o

Tacky is on the way out, he's upset the old money crowd too much. Expect to see this whole pre-electoral shower of sh;te played out in some Isaan backwater; with these wonderful people dressed condescendingly in farmer shirts, and throwing coloured beads out to rustic simpletons from the back of a truck. :D