What can you do? So frustrated.

dont think i've been late for work in my life. ever in about 30 years. it's not difficult. coffee1.gif

That may be so .. But in your own country would you turn up an hour early for free or do an hour or so's overtime to make up for the pointless meeting for free. Would you work on bank holidays or Sunday for no additional OT payment ?

I'm not a late person either but we had a motto "no friends at home time"

The missus works for a private kindergarten and it's the same as most private education centers .. Withholding 200b for a couple of months for a couple of late days ( anything over 1-2 mins is late ) then having to perform some extra cleaning duty to get it back, yet, they have a weekly 2 hour meeting where the owner waffles on instead of addressing the main points that could be covered in 15 minutes. All unpaid.

Cleaning on public holidays instead of employing a FT maid - normal rate because that's the only day when the kids aren't there.

Hell! They even gave them a day off to go on a New Years trip, only to claim the day back two months later and had the cheek to remind the teachers how much the event cost at a later meeting.

Opening a new branch, instead of wasting money hiring external staff everyone works until 11.00 pm for a couple of weeks - unpaid - but they supplied some sticky rice and satay sticks.

Husbands can all advise their partners to move on, but the truth is - every private teaching gig is pretty similar - the wife likes the job along with her colleagues.

Yeah, it's easy to say "move on" but all the private institutes are the same, plus the months salary bond means you can only resign in March or sacrifice it.

Being docked a day for 10 minutes lateness is totally unacceptable.

She should just find a new job and quit or suck it up. The key is to find the particular Thai bull poo one can actually live with.

We've just recently interviewed some teachers, who're seeking a new teaching position, because many of them are/were treated like pigs.

And the directors of all bigger schools just buy their positions. It's ridiculous to see 45 year old teachers bowing down, then kneel down on their knees, just to serve this prick an orange juice.

But as you've already pointed out, even deducting five baht for being late for "gate duty's" just insane. facepalm.gif

Do you mean kneeling literally? If it were me they would be wearing that orange juice...

Have you not witnessed this ? Bowing down getting below his head to distribute a drink !!

I understand Thai culture to a point where a teachers head should always be higher than the student, but does buying a directors job make you more worthy than a mere teacher ?

dont think i've been late for work in my life. ever in about 30 years. it's not difficult. coffee1.gif

That may be so .. But in your own country would you turn up an hour early for free or do an hour or so's overtime to make up for the pointless meeting for free. Would you work on bank holidays or Sunday for no additional OT payment ?

In my career I would regularly turn up early and work late. When working abroad, would work bank holidays, evenings and weekends if it meant that I would get the job done better or something just needed to be attended to. That's how you get promoted and achieve responsibilities. Now that wasn't in Thailand, but IMHO there is a world of difference working additional hours under pressure to that of being forced by a line manager to do nonsense stuff. General admin, filling in forms, do it and get on with it. But, multi-choice answers in order of length tells one that the academic director is an unpleasant piece of work that one should not work for, not to mention that stuff should be handwritten rather than word-processed. Working under such a person is dangerous for one's health. Just prepare to find another job. This isn't about some quaint Thainess.

• Like 1

You may know already...Being the head of anything in Thailand has nothing to do with being smart, skilled or talented. It's all about who your daddy is or who you paid to get your position. In Thailand, it's not the "cream" that rises to the top.

You might as well ommit, "In Thailand". It's universal, or do you think "W" was a smart president, Kurry a smart Secretary of State, or Palin a smart Repulblican running mate?

• Like 1

Having worked in private schools, I sympathise with your wife. Some of the owners just treat their staff like chattels rather than humans. I've seen some teachers having to walk around schools hawking snacks to students for the benefit of the owners, made to come in on weekends just to sit around or sweep the grounds or repaint the school during term time.

These owners are manipulative a-holes without a thought for their staff. When the coup happened last year I was instructed to come in even though the military ordered all schools to shut. I was the only teacher not to show my face and when I went in the next day I was told I'd lose a day's pay. I told the owner I'd walk if she dared dock me a day's pay and she backed down. I understand Thai teachers cannot or will not stand up to their bosses but unless that ever changes they will be used and abused for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

This has been a pain for all my years working in Thailand schools. In my many years, I have found that the least capable and intelligent ones are the directors. Some maybe good. Unfortunately, I have not met them yet. It is a power thing to them and they do not care about quality. Only about quantity and a pretty display. Jealousy and back stabbing is very prevalent. Farangs make too much!

To Crocbait, I liked your post. And RPCguy, if that means what I think it does, so am I. Group 32.

Let's hope things get better.

• Like 1

You're weird.

I've been days late before i.e going in on a Wednesday, thinking it was Monday.

I bet you haven't been working in Thailand for those years.

This will never change until the Thai teachers organize and demand fair treatment . Of course they're never going to do that, so they'll continue to be treated little more than cogs in a machine to be worked as much and as hard as possible, and replaced when they begin to squeak.

Yeah, until they grow spines and stop being subservient to authority figures, ain't nothing gonna change. Heck, virtually all of them would die to be the Puu Yai, top-dog, manager/owner themselves. How can you change a system where 'brown-nosing' is institutionalize, right along with patronage, and nepotism.

OP. Take you wife to your home country, put her though University to get her BEd or MEd and teaching credentials, and have her teach in Western school. Then if you come back, she can teach in an International school where there is a bit more sanity.

Personally, that's why I limited my teaching here in the LOS to private English language schools. You couldn't pay me enough to put up with the BS that teachers are subjected to in Thai school systems. And arrogant Puu Yais, for me personally, are just the type of people I love to mindf***. They don't understand sarcasm and cynicism, they don't get any overt respect from me other than the polite niceties that I offer to everyone else, and I question authority whenever it spouts stupidity. That why most schools have a farang manager to act as a buffer between the farang staff and Thai administration. Not necessarily to protect the farang staff, but more to keep irate farang staff for sitting down with some 'holier-than-thou', puu yai administrator and start questioning them about the rationale behind their idiotic policies. I generally had more respect for the Thai support staff than I did for Thai management.

Edited by connda

We have the same thing at the uni where I teach, although the foreigners get out of a lot of it because we are "weird" and "don't understand." I sort of get the temple stuff more than the paperwork (I mean, cool, you are Buddhist, great...go do your thing, but stop filling out all these papers!).

In short, though, everything where I work is about appearance and next to nothing is about substance. I only have control over my actual classes. And, as a final note, arguing that teachers should focus on teaching will just get you smiles and nods here with absolutely no change. Take advantage of her low interest loans and get a nice car or something, haha. In the meantime, she will have to waste her time like everyone else.

I recommend the following technique:

Doing anything logical, like trying to explain why it would be better to preserve the integrity of tests/paperwork/etc. by emphasizing quality over "this looks neat!" will only end badly. Nothing will change, you'll be pinned as a subversive, squeaky wheel, and things will go downhill.

So, my method of emulating the "Thai" way of doing things is this: Smile, nod, and agree with everything.

"Oh yes, clearly I must re-order the multiple choice options by length. It's the only sensible thing to do!"

"I'm happy to oblige your request for my entire year's worth of lesson plans. For a set of classes that I haven't even been assigned to yet. With no curriculum guidelines, books, worksheets, or resources of any kind whatsoever provided by you."

"Yes, obviously since the director's dog died 17 years ago today, I was remiss in not wearing black mourning clothes, even though I didn't even know that the director had ever had a dog until today. I'll make a note of it so I can be sure to comply next year!"

And after turning off the part of your brain that would normally prevent you from smiling, nodding, and spouting that sort of drivel, pick the most half-assed way to comply with the easiest 10% of the crap you "agree" to. Using those examples above, I would "agree" to the first but then "forget" to actually do it until I had been asked at least 15 times. For the second, I'd do about the same, except after maybe 5 times or so I'd print out a stack of sample plans from a google search or old lesson plans that apply to a book that no longer exists or whatever else; they could be lesson plans for entirely different subject and it won't matter as long as they look "neat". The third one would be the only one I'd comply with on the first request; although I'd probably actually inform whoever was harping at me that due to the extreme gravitas of the situation I clearly need to go home and put on a black shirt... Please allow 3-4 hours for me to run home and change into the appropriate garb.

Lol, yes...good advice.

It's actually me that's been doing the typing for her to help her out. For the length of line thing, I just add extra spaces, wherever I can, hahaha. I also make up the distractors...of course most have to be serious options, but as it's out of 5 choices (a-e), I can always put in one silly one. There's quite a few answer options that refer to Mars, going out for coffee, or some other irrelevant nonsense.

She told me that she is about to give up. The last test she set, she had 30 (multi choice) questions, but the answer sheet had 40 squares. 90% of the students answered 40 questions with a, b, c, d, or e!!! She concluded that they are all not even reading the questions, just putting random answers on the answer sheet. I think she's right.

• Like 1

Doing anything logical, like trying to explain why it would be better to preserve the integrity of tests/paperwork/etc. by emphasizing quality over "this looks neat!" will only end badly. Nothing will change, you'll be pinned as a subversive, squeaky wheel, and things will go downhill.

So, my method of emulating the "Thai" way of doing things is this: Smile, nod, and agree with everything.

"Oh yes, clearly I must re-order the multiple choice options by length. It's the only sensible thing to do!"

"I'm happy to oblige your request for my entire year's worth of lesson plans. For a set of classes that I haven't even been assigned to yet. With no curriculum guidelines, books, worksheets, or resources of any kind whatsoever provided by you."

"Yes, obviously since the director's dog died 17 years ago today, I was remiss in not wearing black mourning clothes, even though I didn't even know that the director had ever had a dog until today. I'll make a note of it so I can be sure to comply next year!"

And after turning off the part of your brain that would normally prevent you from smiling, nodding, and spouting that sort of drivel, pick the most half-assed way to comply with the easiest 10% of the crap you "agree" to. Using those examples above, I would "agree" to the first but then "forget" to actually do it until I had been asked at least 15 times. For the second, I'd do about the same, except after maybe 5 times or so I'd print out a stack of sample plans from a google search or old lesson plans that apply to a book that no longer exists or whatever else; they could be lesson plans for entirely different subject and it won't matter as long as they look "neat". The third one would be the only one I'd comply with on the first request; although I'd probably actually inform whoever was harping at me that due to the extreme gravitas of the situation I clearly need to go home and put on a black shirt... Please allow 3-4 hours for me to run home and change into the appropriate garb.

Lol, yes...good advice.

It's actually me that's been doing the typing for her to help her out. For the length of line thing, I just add extra spaces, wherever I can, hahaha. I also make up the distractors...of course most have to be serious options, but as it's out of 5 choices (a-e), I can always put in one silly one. There's quite a few answer options that refer to Mars, going out for coffee, or some other irrelevant nonsense.

She told me that she is about to give up. The last test she set, she had 30 (multi choice) questions, but the answer sheet had 40 squares. 90% of the students answered 40 questions with a, b, c, d, or e!!! She concluded that they are all not even reading the questions, just putting random answers on the answer sheet. I think she's right.

If the average score was about 20% correct, then they're guessing at random. She's probably forced to grade on a curve. Average score of 20% correct! Everyone passes!!!

Edited by connda

The people that are late have always been late because they are both inept and inconsiderate.

There is no reason other than an accident to be late and if you planned accordingly, you should have taken even this into considetation.

Nothing but disdain for perpetually late people, they are just a fraud. They know it and we (people that kerp our time) know it.

Always excuses. 35 even 50 year old people msking excuses about being late like they were in grade school themselves. Pathetic.

Lol, yes...good advice.

If the average score was about 20% correct, then they're guessing at random. She's probably forced to grade on a curve. Average score of 20% correct! Everyone passes!!!

A student didn't turn up for the test. Normally, she has to give the student a chance to sit at a later date, but the student still didn't turn up. She gave zero grade. Academic head ordered her to assign the student an assignment...."make a decorative page or something" and give the student a grade above zero (at least she wasn't ordered to pass the student).

A decorated page of work!!! May just as well give all students 10 marks for turning up and getting their names right.

The people that are late have always been late because they are both inept and inconsiderate.

There is no reason other than an accident to be late and if you planned accordingly, you should have taken even this into considetation.

Nothing but disdain for perpetually late people, they are just a fraud. They know it and we (people that kerp our time) know it.

Always excuses. 35 even 50 year old people msking excuses about being late like they were in grade school themselves. Pathetic.

People that are always late, yes, that's tardiness, but accidents are not the only reason for occasional lateness.

You can not plan for unusually heavy traffic, broken traffic lights, a bank robbery and road-block....the list is endless and does not reflect on the employee.

People that are always late, yes, that's tardiness, but accidents are not the only reason for occasional lateness.

You can not plan for unusually heavy traffic, broken traffic lights, a bank robbery and road-block....the list is endless and does not reflect on the employee.

Then there is the occasional road block because someone important is planning on driving by. But on those occasions, it's usually a lot of students and teachers that are late.

I know a tenured Thai English teacher at a small village school (P1-4, I think and only a few hundred students). They got a new director and she insists on all teachers queuing outside in the sun to greet Her Eminence. Some think they walk on water. All that power gets to their head.

OT: some kids never even start a written test. Have you noticed? For whatever reason... (am talking P4-6 here). Am urging them to treat it as a race and not answer a single question beautifully, omitting all the others. We want them to speak up and not worry about a missing word, grammar or something, JUST DO IT!

Hope your wife can get a transfer. It must be a miserable existence where she is now.

My Theory:

In Thailand, the people in charge are ALWAYS worried about holding onto their position (as can be seen in politics as well as teaching and business). Accordingly, these "bosses" will make up all sorts of silly rules simply to remind the underlings who is who. It's a form of "social control".

Why? Perhaps because there is no tradition of democracy (i.e. checks and balances, chain of command, etc) to keep things fair and so a power vacuum develops which encourages a wild west mentality. Just my two cents worth...