Need help in finding a temporary place to stay (minimum 1 month)

Hey Guys,

It looks like things are moving forward with my plan to move to Thailand to teach English!

Letter of resignation has been handed in, landlord notified that I won't be renewing my lease and only a "million" other things left to do, lol.

As I have not spent much time in Bangkok on my previous trips, I was hoping some members could offer some recommendations for inexpensive hotels/condos to stay for a minimum of 1 month in the Bangkok "area".

I'll need to stay here while I look for a school to teach at. I'm thinking that Bangkok would be the place where there is the most chance of finding employment (but I will be open to other places if I see something interesting).

My requirements for the hotel/condo are something that it is relatively inexpensive. I am more familiar with Pattaya's prices and know I can find condo/hotel rentals for under 10k baht/month. I am not sure what Bangkok (or" just outside" Bangkok, whatever that means) has to offer.

It should be near the skytrain, clean and safe with A/C. I don't need anything fancy, a studio apartment with bathroom/shower facilities inside the room would be great.

On my past trips, I was on vacation and I stayed at the Sofitel Hotel and paid around 6,000 baht/night. I am NOT on vacation this time around!

Any recommendations would be a great starting place for me to continue my research.

On a side note, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I AM ACTUALLY GOING TO DO THIS!!! :)

Thanking everyone in advance,

Gilligan

Most independent hotels will give you a sometimes substantially discounted rate if you pay a month upfront, especially if it is not high season.

Many options close to the BTS and MRT lines.

thanks dddave,

can i ask a silly question?

if i am looking at renting a studio condo/apartment, what would be the differences between renting a "discount" or independent hotel and renting a studio condo?

i assume that it is price? anything else that i am missing here?

Just use agoda, book a night or so to test it out, if its ok go have a chat with the manager for a month stay discount, hotel is a good option because then you get your room cleaned daily,

Loft 77 is a nice place I did just that at when I first lived in Bangkok see :

http://www.agoda.com/loft77-sukhumvit-bangkok/hotel/bangkok-th.html?asq=v0rS0a1OqoRQ7bXy1Mh94p2kCzVRB2sXBxqcn4ezepFozvPhdPOUT08nHla2fPuM

The rooms are really nice, standard price is around 700 bhat a night which when you see the rooms is very cheap, however have a word with the manager and he will do you it at 500bhat a night

Other hotels to choose from, the reason I mention this one is because I stayed here for a month and it was really nice, plus it has a little gym/pool

Good luck

Nothing to do with temp lodging, but the school year here starts on 1 May, so you need to be here looking for a job before then. If not you might only be able to find one in East Timbuktu Province at the end of a dirt road in the middle of corn and sugar cane fields! Gee that's where I live and I love it!

Most independent hotels will give you a sometimes substantially discounted rate if you pay a month upfront, especially if it is not high season.

Many options close to the BTS and MRT lines.

thanks dddave,

can i ask a silly question?

if i am looking at renting a studio condo/apartment, what would be the differences between renting a "discount" or independent hotel and renting a studio condo?

i assume that it is price? anything else that i am missing here?

A studio/condo/apt. will generally have some sort of cooking facilities, sink, hob, fridge, ect. Most hotel rooms will have a small fridge and some even a microwave but they tend to discourage cooking in the room.

Also, a hotel will usually provide you with bed and bath linens and periodic cleaning whereas a studio/apt./condo usually doesn't. Some can make separate arrangements for those services at additional cost.

If negotiating a monthly hotel rate, make sure you understand if electricity is included or not. Many hotels will ask a guest staying month to month to pay electricity based on usage. If you use AC a lot, this can really add-up. Also; if they do charge elect. separately, find out the rate per unit. Normal is B5-6 but some will charge B8-10.

Most apartments/rooms also mark-up electricity so again, check their rates.

Edited by dddave