'Good Samaritans' rob Phuket bike crash victim

webfact

'Good Samaritans' rob Phuket bike crash victim
Eakkapop Thongtub

1422242317_1-org.jpg
Thalang Police officers finally arrive to take the victim's statement.

PHUKET: -- Two men who stopped, supposedly to help a third who had crashed his motorike last night (January 25), had larceny more than assistance in mind.

Akarapon Chumnamanee, 27, was on his way home at 11.30pm when he crashed his bike in Baan Muang Mai on Thepkrassattree Rd, injuring his right arm, banging his head and breaking a couple of fingers.

Two men on another bike stopped as if to help him. But then, instead of helping, they threatened him and then robbed him of his wallet, containing B10,000 in cash and an ATM card, and also took two mobile phones.

Thalang Police were alerted by a friend of Akarapon’s, Pienchai Thepabutr, 53, but relatives said that the officers had responded very slowly.

They called Phuket police commander Pol Gen Pachara Boonyasit to complain that they had been waiting “too long” for officers to arrive at the emergency room of Thalang Hospital to speak with Mr Akarapon about the robbery.

Gen Pachara promptly ordered Thalang Police to send someone immediately to the hospital.

This they did, taking a statement from Mr Akarapon, who was then transferred, at the family’s request, to the Mission Hospital for further treatment.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/good-samaritans-rob-phuket-bike-crash-victim-50731.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-26

• Like 1

If I wasn't living here and have first hand experience, reading all these articles, I would never have come to Thailand.

I'm lucky enough that I just have to read about these things on TVF and never come across situations like this.

But unfortunately.....they do exist.......

• Like 2

If these two guys are prepared to rob a Thai, who is in desperate need of medical attention, I can only imagine how many other "jobs" they pull, everyday, on unsuspecting tourists.

Preying on the extremely vulnerable shows no morality at all.

They need to be caught and taken out of the community.

Edited by NamKangMan

I was robbed of a few hundred baht by the first responders after a motorcycle accident a few years back. Although the sum was paltry at best and not worth a moments worry, the fact that these guys who are supposed to be there helping you are actually stealing from you IS worth more than a moments worry.

I was robbed of a few hundred baht by the first responders after a motorcycle accident a few years back. Although the sum was paltry at best and not worth a moments worry, the fact that these guys who are supposed to be there helping you are actually stealing from you IS worth more than a moments worry.

Are you saying the emergency workers robbed you, not people passing by?

I remember an incident back in 1970 in Korat when I was stationed there, where one of our fellow airman got killed in a motorcycle accident an the Thai's stripped him of every valuable he had on him. We thought that was just a terrible thing to do, but I guess the Thai's figured he wasnt going to need a watch,ring,necklace,wallet,or shoes where he was going

I had a friend who lived alone in Phuket. When he died the locals were into his house the same day and stripped it bare like locusts, even taking the sheet off his death bed. And they drove off in his SUV. Many Thais, not all, are morally bankrupt and the only thing they care about is money.

Evil, soulless scum.

No...this is Thailand.

Either learn to live with it, or leave..

It would take another 10,000 years of (focused) evolution to breed this out of the people here.

"TIT" is no accidental phrasing.

Don't you just these people who come out with the old chestnut of 'leave if you don't like it'. Just abandon family (as so many Thai men do), or selfishly take them away from their own country to yours. Jeez!

I remember an incident back in 1970 in Korat when I was stationed there, where one of our fellow airman got killed in a motorcycle accident an the Thai's stripped him of every valuable he had on him. We thought that was just a terrible thing to do, but I guess the Thai's figured he wasnt going to need a watch,ring,necklace,wallet,or shoes where he was going

That's strange, because Thai's are incredibly superstitious people, especially back in the 70's, when western influence wasn't so much.

I would have thought using / wearing the items of a deceased person would have been considered as bringing bad luck, or bad karma, to the recipient, even more so if they were stolen..

Maybe they sold the property straight away, and turned the bad karma into lucky cash. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Prey that you are never in a serious accident and picked up by the local privatized ambulance.

They are known to drive you around for hours waiting for you to expire as it is worth more to them bringing in the dead than the seriously injured.

If you don;t believe that just wait until it happens to one of your loved ones as it did to my wife fairly recently. If it happens to you it probably won't matter to you after your dead.

One of our relatives worked for these guys and quit when he realized what they were doing. Oh yea, if you do arrive dead or alive you will be missing most all of your money and jewlery.

Prey that you are never in a serious accident and picked up by the local privatized ambulance.

They are known to drive you around for hours waiting for you to expire as it is worth more to them bringing in the dead than the seriously injured.

If you don;t believe that just wait until it happens to one of your loved ones as it did to my wife fairly recently. If it happens to you it probably won't matter to you after your dead.

One of our relatives worked for these guys and quit when he realized what they were doing. Oh yea, if you do arrive dead or alive you will be missing most all of your money and jewlery.

This is almost more animal than human.

Ah, the novelty of living in a primative culture.

Quite the anthropaligical study.

Make no mistake, this has been a conscious choice.

Evil, soulless scum.

No...this is Thailand.

Either learn to live with it, or leave..

It would take another 10,000 years of (focused) evolution to breed this out of the people here.

"TIT" is no accidental phrasing.

Don't you just these people who come out with the old chestnut of 'leave if you don't like it'. Just abandon family (as so many Thai men do), or selfishly take them away from their own country to yours. Jeez!

He didn't say that at all. He said 'Learn to live with it' because it's exactly what you have to do. It's not going to change. I don't like the corruption which goes on here one little bit - but the country has plenty more to offer if you can arrange your life so you have minimal exposure to it. You just have to take the rough with the smooth .. same as any country.

• Like 1

The last time I had a bike accident, a friendly Thai man drove me to the nearest pharmacy and bought me the things I needed to clean and bandage my wounds. He refused to accept any money from me.

There are a lot more good Thai people out there than bad, in my experience.

• Like 1

its sad to read that the above has already about 5 persons with first hand experiences of the exact same thing. Very sad indeed@!

What is just as sad is people who exaggerate, there are 3 first hand reports so far, not 5.

Really? You think it's just as sad to exaggerate as it is to steal from helpless, injured victims?

• Like 1

My biggest worry is the loss of the travel insurance card, not the wallet itself. If I'm in an accident and become unconscious I fully expect to be robbed blind and that could very well cost me my life.

Edited by MZurf