Chiang Mai / Pai Visa Runs

Maui John

Aloha,

I have done searches for this but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

For expats living in Chiang Mai / Pai, where do they do their visa runs? Is it correct that Mae Sai can only give the 30 day stamp and is not able to issue a 60 day tourist visa (extendable to 90)? Do they give you the 30 day stamp over and over, or is there a limit?

Where is the nearest consulate?

How do long term expat residents who don't qualify for the retirment visa nor want to work in Thailand handle their visa issues? Do you have to travel to Kuala Lumpur? How much does such a trip cost from Chiang Mai and how long does it take (both air and by land)?

Thanks,

John

Aloha,

For expats living in Chiang Mai / Pai, where do they do their visa runs? Most do Mae Sai or Mae Sot, by far, Mae Sai is easiest.

Is it correct that Mae Sai can only give the 30 day stamp and is not able to issue a 60 day tourist visa (extendable to 90)? Mai Sai can stamp any passport with a Thai Visa.. Now, what does your visa say?If it is 30 days, then you must get it restamped every 30 days. If it is 60 or 90 days, then it will say if you have extensions, and how many (up to 3), you must get the extensions stamped) at the border, then after you have used your extensions, then you must get a new visa outside of Thailand. The only exceptions here are 30 day and one year visas

Do they give you the 30 day stamp over and over, or is there a limit? No limit (for now)

Where is the nearest consulate? Thai? In Penang, Malaysia

How do long term expat residents who don't qualify for the retirment visa nor want to work in Thailand handle their visa issues? 30 days, or a 60-90 days visa

Do you have to travel to Kuala Lumpur? Last I have heard, Penang is easier

Aloha,

For expats living in Chiang Mai / Pai, where do they do their visa runs? Is it correct that Mae Sai can only give the 30 day stamp and is not able to issue a 60 day tourist visa (extendable to 90)? Do they give you the 30 day stamp over and over, or is there a limit?

How do long term expat residents who don't qualify for the retirment visa nor want to work in Thailand handle their visa issues? Do you have to travel to Kuala Lumpur? How much does such a trip cost from Chiang Mai and how long does it take (both air and by land)?

Thanks,

John

You can fly direct to Kuala Lumpur from Chiang Mai using Airasia. Online bookings at airasia.com. Lucky if you can book about 3 months in advance and get a fare of about 3,000 baht return with taxes included. Average prices are about 5,800 baht return (taxes included).

If not mistaken I think Langkawi Island has a Thai Consulate as well. Not sure really but Penang does for sure as Ajarn mentioned. No direct flights to Penang though, have to stop by Bkk.

Aloha,

Thanks,

John

You can fly direct to Kuala Lumpur from Chiang Mai using Airasia. Online bookings at airasia.com. Lucky if you can book about 3 months in advance and get a fare of about 3,000 baht return with taxes included. Average prices are about 5,800 baht return (taxes included).

If not mistaken I think Langkawi Island has a Thai Consulate as well. Not sure really but Penang does for sure as Ajarn mentioned. No direct flights to Penang though, have to stop by Bkk.

Make sure you do NOT show signs of being disabled/in a wheelchair, as this worthless airline will not allow these people to fly on their O So Wonderful Airline///// You can count on the same from NOK Air and Tiger Airlines/////

Cannot fly the unfriendly Skies

Maybe they should put up a sign saying

NO DISABLED

Gonzo

Aloha,

Thanks,

John

Make sure you do NOT show signs of being disabled/in a wheelchair, as this worthless airline will not allow these people to fly on their O So Wonderful Airline///// You can count on the same from NOK Air and Tiger Airlines/////

NO DISABLED

Gonzo

I'm in a wheelchair, and I've not had any problems- yet. :o

Aloha,

Thanks,

John

NO DISABLED

Gonzo

I'm in a wheelchair, and I've not had any problems- yet. :o

Interestingly, I am doing this research for a friend whom I'm helping to move to Thailand in October, who is in a wheelchair. She will be turning 50 w/in 6 months thus will eventually be able to do the retirement visa.

In quizing the Samui and Phuket forums I've learned that Samui is terrible for wheelchairs while Phuket is much better. How is Chiang Mai for wheelchair accessibility?

Thanks again.

Interestingly, I am doing this research for a friend whom I'm helping to move to Thailand in October, who is in a wheelchair. She will be turning 50 w/in 6 months thus will eventually be able to do the retirement visa.

In quizing the Samui and Phuket forums I've learned that Samui is terrible for wheelchairs while Phuket is much better. How is Chiang Mai for wheelchair accessibility?

Thanks again.

Not so much sand in Chiang Mai....better for wheelchairs. Footpaths are crap.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Aloha,

Thanks,

John

NO DISABLED

Gonzo

I'm in a wheelchair, and I've not had any problems- yet. :D

Thanks again.

Though I rarely use my wheelchair in town, my feeling is 'no problem' :o

Aloha,

Thanks,

John

NO DISABLED

Gonzo

I'm in a wheelchair, and I've not had any problems- yet. :D

Thanks again.

Though I rarely use my wheelchair in town, my feeling is 'no problem' :o

Just avoid Thapae Road! :D

Thanks again.

Chiang Mai would rate poor in my opinion. Lack of wheelchair ramps except maybe for the major hotels and shopping centers, try going to McDonalds Night Bazaar in a wheelchair!. And most curbs are high and some dangerously steep, holes and cracks in the sidewalk, and thats after avoiding all the traffic!!

Thanks again.

Chiang Mai would rate poor in my opinion. Lack of wheelchair ramps except maybe for the major hotels and shopping centers, try going to McDonalds Night Bazaar in a wheelchair!. And most curbs are high and some dangerously steep, holes and cracks in the sidewalk, and thats after avoiding all the traffic!!

All true.. I've been here over 20 years, so some of the things taken for granted in other countries (wheelchair ramps), I don't think of... I said 'no problem' because of the traffic, both people and cars, being very kind here towards people in wheelchairs, but yes, the curbs here can be a problem for a wheelchair, but then again, traveling in a wheelchair is always a pain....

Edited by Ajarn

In short, I don't think it's better or worse than Phuket.

(NB: When people speok of Phuket I'm always in this doubt as to if they mean Phuket Town or some beach somewhere.. It's a pretty big province with many different environments. Same can be said of Chiang mai of course but when people say 'Chiang Mai' you can be fairly sure they mean the city. )

FYI , any bordercrossing around Thailand gives you only the 30day entry stamp or you will get a activation of your existing multi-entry Tourist or Non Imm Visa.

For any visa you need to visit a Consulate (Penang) or a Embassy (KL/Singapore) .The 3 mentioned are said to be easiest .

Avoid PP and Vientane by all means.

As an addon:

Do NOT try to get new tourist visas at the Thai Embassy in Singapore if you already have one or more in your passport.

Singapore is fine with Non Immigrant Visa applications, but follow closely the recommendation that people with more than one tourist visa in their passport have to stay out of Thailand for at least 3 months before they can apply for a tourist visa from Singapore again.

For tourist visas, try Kuala Lumpur or Penang.

As an addon:

Do NOT try to get new tourist visas at the Thai Embassy in Singapore if you already have one or more in your passport.

Singapore is fine with Non Immigrant Visa applications, but follow closely the recommendation that people with more than one tourist visa in their passport have to stay out of Thailand for at least 3 months before they can apply for a tourist visa from Singapore again.

For tourist visas, try Kuala Lumpur or Penang.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!