British man in hospital after fight in Phuket bar

webfact

British man in hospital after fight in Phuket bar
Darawan Naknakhon

1422261944_1-org.jpg
Ms Dian at the hospital yesterday.

PHUKET: -- A British man was admitted to Vachira Phuket Hospital in the early hours of Saturday morning (January 24), suffering from head wounds he sustained during a brawl with a Thai man at a bar in Rawai.

According to police – who were notified of the incident by staff at the hospital only late on Saturday afternoon – at around 1am that morning Christopher Michael Stark, 50, got into a fight with Sarawuth Kongpat, 37, a resident of Patong, in the Banana Bar in Soi Samakee, Rawai.

Ms Dian, the owner of Banana Bar and Mr Sarawuth̕s wife, told police that Mr Stark had refused to pay his food and drink bill when Mr Sarawut asked him to.

Mr Stark got annoyed when Mr Sarawut persisted in demanding he pay the bill, so he punched Mr Sarawut in the face.

In retaliation, Mr Sarawut grabbed a nearby piece of wood and whacked Mr Stark twice on the head.

It is believed that Mr Stark will remain in hospital for at least seven days. He is currently being cared for by Ms Dian, who is visiting him regularly.

Police will interview him when he has recovered enough to speak.

Mr Sarawut was also admitted to Vachira Phuket Hospital, but was discharged after doctors treated him for minor facial injuries.

So far no charges have been filed against either man.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/british-man-in-hospital-after-fight-in-phuket-bar-50741.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-26

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the injured Brit will reflect and learn from this mistake.

Maybe quit the drink.

Could have ended up in the morgue.

"Hopefully the injured Brit will reflect and learn from this mistake.

Maybe quit the drink."

Nice to read your expression of optimism and faith in human nature ... but ...

article-1353163906711-1613ae8c000005dc-3

Note there is no mention of why he refused to pay the bill perhaps it had more padding than the seat cushion.

having a guess I would say that sounds feasable ..... probably added a few on and thats why he wouldn't pay.

however, not sure it's worth being hit over the head with a piece of wood .... twice .. ouch !!! unsure.png

So without having any clue about what happened we have now deduced the bar staff/owner added to the bill which is why he refused to pay.

The only reasonable post here so far is number 5, better wait with any judgement till we have the full story.

I'm just amazed it was only one Thai (albeit with a chunk of wood) versus one farang. Happy Holidays.

That's got to be a first hasn't it?

Thought Thai tradition was to get all your mates over and beat the guy into an unconscious bloody pulp.

Really not very Thai of him at all.

What is the point of this posting? Trying to show that farangs do not pay their bills? Trying to show what happens when they do not? Move this to the tabloid section please...

No, just providing another opportunity for gratuitous Brit bashing.

It's astonishing how many expats I have met in Phuket, who feel the need to openly express how tough they are - not to be trifled with.

Any ideas why so many tough guys end up in Thailand ? They seem to be in far greater numbers than in their country of origin, be it England, Australia, etc..Moreover, why do most of them sport a veritable plethora of tattoos?thumbsup.gif

'Ms Dian, the owner of Banana Bar and Mr Sarawuth̕s wife'

Im lost here. Is this 3 people ? Or is Ms Dian the wife of Mr Sarawuth who also happens to be the owner of the Banana Bar ?

OK. Assuming Ms Dian is the owner of the bar, AND Ms Dian is also Mr Sarawuths wife and that Ms Dian is now looking after the Brit while he is in hospital...........

Is this REALLY a fight over an unpaid tab ?

This story has more kinks than telephone cable.....

It's astonishing how many expats I have met in Phuket, who feel the need to openly express how tough they are - not to be trifled with.

Any ideas why so many tough guys end up in Thailand ? They seem to be in far greater numbers than in their country of origin, be it England, Australia, etc..Moreover, why do most of them sport a veritable plethora of tattoos?thumbsup.gif

Because this behaviour is not tolerated in their country and they end up being alone with no friends. Even their family frowns on their behaviour.

Getting a bill here in Thailand is always going to be interesting, thats why I insist on paying as I go.

I have been living and working in Asia for almost 50 years, and I go out frequently and spend lots of money. I do not pay as I go, unless the establishment demands it. I rarely encounter incorrect bills and I rarely loose the presence of mind to know what I owe. However, I do see far too many yayhoos, who get so polluted they cannot remember what they drank and, invariably, they argue about their bills. Perhaps paying as you go is sound advice.

So the wife of the perpetrator, MS Dian is gonna take care of the british victim in the hospital, nice of her rolleyes.gif

Hold on her husband wasn't the perpetrator.

All the guy did was present the bill and get punched in the face.

Ok so he wrapped a piece of wood around his head. If it was me in my restaurant I would have wrapped an iron bar around his head.

I think there is much much more to this story than what is here.

Maybe the Brit had some other problem.

She is doing what she does not have to do.coffee1.gif

So without having any clue about what happened we have now deduced the bar staff/owner added to the bill which is why he refused to pay.

The only reasonable post here so far is number 5, better wait with any judgement till we have the full story.

Agreed. The irony is that he will now have a hefty hospital bill if he is to remain there for 7 days.

Archived