British man in hospital after fight in Phuket bar

webfact

Just for the record, I am the British man in question, Chris Stark and I would like to set the record straight about the incident that led to my hospitalization and an operation on my fractured skull back in January,2015.

The report of the incident was initially made by the Phuket News and was not only inaccurate but false in every detail, a fault which the editor of the newspaper-rather grudgingly - acknowledged by retrospectively altering the details of that report which now languishes in the archives.

A more accurate version of the incident appeared in the 'Phuket Gazette'" and they at least followed up the initial report with further updates.

However,these are the most important facts.:-

1 My skull was badly fractured by at least one ferocious blow to my head(temple) with a baseball bat.

2 There is no record of any hospitalization of the assailant nor were there any marks on his face.

3 My assailant"s case- that he acted in self-defense- collapsed almost immediately following the police investigation.The police were already aware of his record as a drug-dealer and a history of violence so he was advised to pay up or serve a lengthy prison sentence.

4 He admitted liability and paid compensation of 200,000 baht to cover my medical bills and loss of income.

5 The official police report records that the incident was an "an assault", not a "brawl".

6 The hospital report showed that there was virtually no alchohol in my blood.

7 On the basis of the latter,my insurance company agreed to pay compensation for the assault.

8 One year on ,I am in reasonable health, although my speech and editorial skills are still impaired.(This post took a lot of editing!)

I have read through the comments in the forum and would like to thank those that vouched for my good character and those that at least questioned the plausibility of the report. For those that were taken in by the "British yobbo beats up hapless Thai Bartender" line, I forgive you but please remember the classic and wise saying"never believe what you read in the newspapers".

I hope that a forum which is supported by the Phuket News-which doesn't emerge with much credit here-has the courage to post this, bearing in mind that if this had happened in England I would have a cast-iron case for "defamation of character".

However, this SHOULD be a kind of closure. All of the above numbered points are attestable FACTS.

Thank you for posting this. I hope you get better soon ...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for the record, I am the British man in question, Chris Stark and I would like to set the record straight about the incident that led to my hospitalization and an operation on my fractured skull back in January,2015.

The report of the incident was initially made by the Phuket News and was not only inaccurate but false in every detail, a fault which the editor of the newspaper-rather grudgingly - acknowledged by retrospectively altering the details of that report which now languishes in the archives.

A more accurate version of the incident appeared in the 'Phuket Gazette'" and they at least followed up the initial report with further updates.

1 My skull was badly fractured by at least one ferocious blow to my head(temple) with a baseball bat.

2 There is no record of any hospitalization of the assailant nor were there any marks on his face.

3 My assailant"s case- that he acted in self-defense- collapsed almost immediately following the police investigation.The police were already aware of his record as a drug-dealer and a history of violence so he was advised to pay up or serve a lengthy prison sentence.

4 He admitted liability and paid compensation of 200,000 baht to cover my medical bills and loss of income.

5 The official police report records that the incident was an "an assault", not a "brawl".

7 On the basis of the latter,my insurance company agreed to pay compensation for the assault.

8 One year on ,I am in reasonable health, although my speech and editorial skills are still impaired.(This post took a lot of editing!)

I have read through the comments in the forum and would like to thank those that vouched for my good character and those that at least questioned the plausibility of the report. For those that were taken in by the "British yobbo beats up hapless Thai Bartender" line, I forgive you but please remember the classic and wise saying"never believe what you read in the newspapers".

I hope that a forum which is supported by the Phuket News-which doesn't emerge with much credit here-has the courage to post this, bearing in mind that if this had happened in England I would have a cast-iron case for "defamation of character".

However, this SHOULD be a kind of closure. All of the above numbered points are attestable FACTS.

Well done Chris.

Now that the TVF cynics have got the full story, no doubt they will be lining up to offer their apologies for rushing to libel you - yeah right!

No doubt there will be some that will try to keep stirring the pot, even after reading your account of what happened. Sad innit?

Good to see there are some decent folks on here who wish you well after your ordeal.

Catch up soon mate.

Well done Chris.

Now that the TVF cynics have got the full story, no doubt they will be lining up to offer their apologies for rushing to libel you - yeah right!

No doubt there will be some that will try to keep stirring the pot, even after reading your account of what happened. Sad innit?

Good to see there are some decent folks on here who wish you well after your ordeal.

Catch up soon mate.

Let's be honest, he didn't really give a FULL account of what happened, did he?

Like yourself, I wish him a full recovery, but I doubt he was batted over the head, in the middle of a restaurant, by a staff member, in some sort of random attack.

Obviously, the Thai guy went way over the top, but my question to Chris is, what started the altercation?

Well done Chris.

Catch up soon mate.

Like yourself, I wish him a full recovery, but I doubt he was batted over the head, in the middle of a restaurant, by a staff member, in some sort of random attack.

Obviously, the Thai guy went way over the top, but my question to Chris is, what started the altercation?

"No doubt there will be some that will try to keep stirring the pot, even after reading your account of what happened. Sad innit?"

I rest my case. facepalm.gif

So the wife of the perpetrator, MS Dian is gonna take care of the british victim in the hospital, nice of her rolleyes.gif

It is the Thai custom to visit, preferably carrying a bunch of flowers, the victim. Failure to do so reflects very badly on the perpetrator, perceived or otherwise, of a crime and could affect the result of any 'negotiations'. Caring for on a daily basis is above and beyond.

Well done Chris.

Catch up soon mate.

Yes, this was glaringly absent from the British guy's lengthy number pointed post. Well, Chris?

Well done Chris.

Catch up soon mate.

Yes, this was glaringly absent from the British guy's lengthy number pointed post. Well, Chris?

(Excerpt from Post #73) Christopher Stark, a 64-year-old English teacher at Phuket Montessori progressive school, told police that he was attacked by Sarawuth Kongphat, 37, at the Green Leaf Bar in Rawai at about 11pm last Thursday, after the man discovered that Mr Stark was short of cash to pay for the two drinks he had ordered.

“Mr Sarawuth confessed that he attacked Mr Stark because he failed to pay his bill.

It's glaringly obvious that Daguerreotype and NKM can't be bothered to check back through this thread for the explanation, or maybe they're just trolling?

You've got your explanation guys. Now leave the man alone. He's still recovering from his ordeal and really doesn't need your constant nit-picking.

(Excerpt from Post #73) Christopher Stark, a 64-year-old English teacher at Phuket Montessori progressive school, told police that he was attacked by Sarawuth Kongphat, 37, at the Green Leaf Bar in Rawai at about 11pm last Thursday, after the man discovered that Mr Stark was short of cash to pay for the two drinks he had ordered.

“Mr Sarawuth confessed that he attacked Mr Stark because he failed to pay his bill.

It's glaringly obvious that Daguerreotype and NKM can't be bothered to check back through this thread for the explanation, or maybe they're just trolling?

You've got your explanation guys. Now leave the man alone. He's still recovering from his ordeal and really doesn't need your constant nit-picking.

They sound as though they are desperate to blame the drunk foreigner - even though it has been clearly explained in several posts\sources.

They just trollin' Chainsaw.

@ Chainsaw and Mr Tee

I'm not trolling.

I would simply like to know what happened between being presented with the bill for two drinks, say, around 160 baht to 240 baht, and waking up in hospital with a fractured skull.

Obviously, an argument ensued over payment / non-payment.

Why did it escalate to an assault?

Hardly troll questions.

@ Chainsaw and Mr Tee

I'm not trolling.

I would simply like to know what happened between being presented with the bill for two drinks, say, around 160 baht to 240 baht, and waking up in hospital with a fractured skull.

Obviously, an argument ensued over payment / non-payment.

Why did it escalate to an assault?

Hardly troll questions.

Lurk more.

read the thread.

It's been answered!

They sound as though they are desperate to blame the drunk foreigner - even though it has been clearly explained in several posts\sources.

They just trollin' Chainsaw.

I know MrTee but some folks have such sad lives that the only excitement they get is by trolling in a forum.

All questions regarding the incident have been answered in full NKM. If you think you need more details I suggest you go and ask Mr Sarawuth.

Maybe he will oblige by doing a re-enactment of the incident with you standing in for Mr. Stark!

It's obvious that you and / or Mr. Stark refuse to discuss the motive for the attack, this leads to suspicion.

Archived