Windows 8 product key

sumrit

You must have got the Windows 7 Family pack which was available for a limited time when Win 7 was first released and could be installed on up to three different computers. With the release of Win 8 Microsoft did not provide a family pack version to the best of my knowledge. Summary: Win 8/8.1, one product key for one computer.

• Like 1

Why not wait till Windows 10 is released in a few months? All Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users will be offered a free update the first year after Windows 10 is release. It's all over on the web. Microsoft made the announcement just a few days ago at the Windows 10 Preview event.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies

Firstly I bought a new laptop in the UK about 4-5 years ago and that had windows 7 pre-installed. I was also able to use the product key from that laptop on two more devices. Also, a German friend friend bought a genuine windows 7 disc here in Thailand a couple of years ago and, again, was able to install it on two more PC's using the same product key.

I'll try to explain why I'm asking. A friend has just bought his girlfriend a new laptop but, of course here in Thailand the operating system isn't installed. He also intends buying a new laptop for himself in about 2-3 months while he's back in the UK. Again, the operating system will be pre-installed.

My thoughts were, if once he's bought his own laptop if he could add his product key to two more PC's I would get windows 7 (with my genuine product key) installed on his girlfriends laptop as a short term thing now, then upgrade it to his operating system once he had his genuine product key.

Thus saving the cost of buying a genuine window operating system for his girlfriends laptop.

Hope this made sense.

All Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users will be offered a free update the first year after Windows 10 is release

Thanks for this BB1950. If this is correct she'd get a free upgrade if I get a genuine windows 7 installed anyway.

Edited by sumrit

Just because you managed to reuse a product key doesn't mean its legal..

Your friend may come unstuck at a later date if he needs to re-install Windows and the key has been used on different devices - activation will fail.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/activating-windows-faq#1TC=windows-7

You may well be right but when I bought my laptop I bought it from Currys/PC World in the UK and was told in the shop that I could could use the same product key to upgrade my desktop PC.

Now I'm well aware of the reputation Currys have got and the bulls**t some of their staff can come out with sometimes because I worked for the company...............but the person advising me in the shop was a friend and work colleague who had no reason to tell me that if it wasn't true.

I did upgrade my Desktop PC using the same product key. That was 4-5 years ago and have had no problems concerning legally at all.

Edited by sumrit

Your friend may come unstuck at a later date if he needs to re-install Windows and the key has been used on different devices - activation will fail.

You may well be right but when I bought my laptop I bought it from Currys/PC World in the UK and was told in the shop that I could could use the same product key to upgrade my desktop PC.

Now I'm well aware of the reputation Currys have got and the bulls**t some of their staff can come out with sometimes because I worked for the company...............but the person advising me in the shop was a friend and work colleague who had no reason to tell me that if it wasn't true.

I did upgrade my Desktop PC using the same product key. That was 4-5 years ago and have had no problems concerning legally at all.

I may or may not be right .. Check out Microsoft's own documentation..

Your friend may have been telling telling you yeah you can "use the same Product key" but that doesn't mean its legal and unless you have a licence for multiple installations then undoubtedly it is not not legal!

Strange as though it may seem, even a company as generous as Microsoft do not give free copies of its flagship products to be as freely as you desire.

If you want "free" use Linux..

+1

BTW, we're just talking about THB 4,000 = USD 123...

coffee1.gif

I may or may not be right .. Check out Microsoft's own documentation..
Your friend may have been telling telling you yeah you can "use the same Product key" but that doesn't mean its legal and unless you have a licence for multiple installations then undoubtedly it is not not legal!

Strange as though it may seem, even a company as generous as Microsoft do not give free copies of its flagship products to be as freely as you desire.

If you want "free" use Linux..

most computers with windows preinstalled do not use the product key on the afixed label, they instead use a manufacturers product key. so in lots of cases the afixed key remains unused, so could be used to activate a new installation on a different machine maybe.

+1

4000 baht is a lot of money to a lot of Thais. This girl has just had a 15000 baht laptop given to her and doesn't want to ask her boyfriend to pay for a genuine operating system as well (I think he originally thought, like the UK, it came pre-installed). But she can't afford 4000 baht herself. I'm just trying to help and find a cheaper way for her, but still be legal.

Depends on how you define "lot of money"

In this case, go for Linux...

coffee1.gif

+1

4000 baht is a lot of money to a lot of Thais. This girl has just had a 15000 baht laptop given to her and doesn't want to ask her boyfriend to pay for a genuine operating system as well (I think he originally thought, like the UK, it came pre-installed). But she can't afford 4000 baht herself. I'm just trying to help and find a cheaper way for her, but still be legal.

Generally MS allows you to install the software a number of times but its not legal its just if you need to reinsall on the same pc, 1 license is allowed for 1 pc, there was talk about being able to install on multiple machines but current that is only available for office 365 subscriptions.