Large Snakes in and around house

I have just lost my wee Chilli (Jack Russell) to 2 mtr cobra. I was in the 24 hours vet in 10 minutes only to be told the have run out of antyvenum, I had a fast drive through the city (Suratthani) to by antyvenum at the private hospital. We administered 2 lots of antyvenum put my babby on life support machine her wee hart stopped 8 hours later.next day my own vet told me you need at least 4 or 5 lots of antyvenum and keep injecting it all the time. Most of the vets in Thailand are no good if the ones in Suratthani and Samui are anything to go by. I love my Chilli and miss her so much

I feel greatly for you at the loss of your beloved dog. I too lost my best friend to a tiger snake in Australia many years ago but still remember the horror rush to the vet and then her death.

I like to think of a heaven that when I die all my dogs will be waiting to greet me and rush into my arms.

So now animals are all going to heaven too. Geez Louise. Say hello to Santa Claus for me when you see him. And I sure hope they don't give the last dose of antivenin to a dog only to have a kid with a snake bite need one 10 minutes later. This stuff is not easily produced and is always in short supply as it has a shelf life. Heres and article below that explains it well. As far as the OP ridding himself of snakes first, identify the snake positively. This is especially important in the case of a bite. In fact, if at all possible it is advisable to bring the snake to the hospital with the bite victim for positive confirmation (preferably dead). Then see if a local will come by once a week and hunt them for you. Som Tum Ngoo is popular in some regions. My family in Ubon has promised to take me cobra hunting next visit. Then leave a few tuna cans out until you have the local cats frequenting your garden. The cats will kill the small snakes and probably keep larger ones at bay. The cats will also, more importantly, eliminate the food source of the snakes. Frogs, mice, other snakes all will run from the cats. Worst case scenario, one of the street cats goes down fighting. Pour out a little beer for him and put out a fresh can of tuna. One last thought. If you are so near the zoo, why don't you stop bye and ask them. As you are in the same neighborhood, they may have specific experience in this area.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/med-tech/how-to-make-antivenom-why-the-world-is-running-out#slide-1

If you think the OP has it bad take a look at this guys cobra infestation

Geese poop repels snakes? Not in a million years....hahah but thats a good one! Its the geese themselves walking around and patrolling and making noise that repels snakes. Geese are great watchdogs arent afraid of anything and are big in the eyes if small snakes, Goose poop....that's too funny.

Must admit, since keeping geese, we have seen a dramatic reduction in snake sightings !!

Geese are a little noisy when disturbed or threatened but are very loyal and fun to keep.

Not such a good idea if you have neighbours close by but if Thai neighbours then they probably won't notice the noise ?

Get geese :)

i'll always remember the time my dog in texas got bit twice by a water mockasin or coperhead, we didn't realize she was bit until like 4 hours later, we took her to the vet and the vet at that place loved dogs so much he sat up all night nursing her and she barely made it but she ended up with a full recovery.

To this day I think that was staged.

I have just lost my wee Chilli (Jack Russell) to 2 mtr cobra. I was in the 24 hours vet in 10 minutes only to be told the have run out of antyvenum, I had a fast drive through the city (Suratthani) to by antyvenum at the private hospital. We administered 2 lots of antyvenum put my babby on life support machine her wee hart stopped 8 hours later.next day my own vet told me you need at least 4 or 5 lots of antyvenum and keep injecting it all the time. Most of the vets in Thailand are no good if the ones in Suratthani and Samui are anything to go by. I love my Chilli and miss her so much

I feel greatly for you at the loss of your beloved dog. I too lost my best friend to a tiger snake in Australia many years ago but still remember the horror rush to the vet and then her death.

I like to think of a heaven that when I die all my dogs will be waiting to greet me and rush into my arms.

So now animals are all going to heaven too. Geez Louise. Say hello to Santa Claus for me when you see him. And I sure hope they don't give the last dose of antivenin to a dog only to have a kid with a snake bite need one 10 minutes later. This stuff is not easily produced and is always in short supply as it has a shelf life. Heres and article below that explains it well. As far as the OP ridding himself of snakes first, identify the snake positively. This is especially important in the case of a bite. In fact, if at all possible it is advisable to bring the snake to the hospital with the bite victim for positive confirmation (preferably dead). Then see if a local will come by once a week and hunt them for you. Som Tum Ngoo is popular in some regions. My family in Ubon has promised to take me cobra hunting next visit. Then leave a few tuna cans out until you have the local cats frequenting your garden. The cats will kill the small snakes and probably keep larger ones at bay. The cats will also, more importantly, eliminate the food source of the snakes. Frogs, mice, other snakes all will run from the cats. Worst case scenario, one of the street cats goes down fighting. Pour out a little beer for him and put out a fresh can of tuna. One last thought. If you are so near the zoo, why don't you stop bye and ask them. As you are in the same neighborhood, they may have specific experience in this area.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/med-tech/how-to-make-antivenom-why-the-world-is-running-out#slide-1

If you think the OP has it bad take a look at this guys cobra infestation

Poor snakes. We destroy their natural environment more and more, and yet somehow we view ourselves as the victims.

I feel you are very right.

We have a huge garden, and we have area's where we not cut or do anything. For the birds, snakes and other animals. We use round-up in a few, very limited area's, as I do not see an other way to control the weeds there.

Snakes also never attack a dog or human from their own. We know our dog is attacked by the snake because the dog attacked the snake first. But that does not mean that we still miss the dog.....

We have now one dose of the anti venom in stock. Even the hospital ran out of stock. The shelf live is four year. We are quite we will need it within that time. (we have 9 dogs left)

Arjen.

Poor snakes. We destroy their natural environment more and more, and yet somehow we view ourselves as the victims.

I feel you are very right.

We have a huge garden, and we have area's where we not cut or do anything. For the birds, snakes and other animals. We use round-up in a few, very limited area's, as I do not see an other way to control the weeds there.

Snakes also never attack a dog or human from their own. We know our dog is attacked by the snake because the dog attacked the snake first. But that does not mean that we still miss the dog.....

We have now one dose of the anti venom in stock. Even the hospital ran out of stock. The shelf live is four year. We are quite we will need it within that time. (we have 9 dogs left)

Arjen.

Please, do not use round up. Not only does it harm all birds, butterflies, bees, snakes etc, but you and your dogs will be ingesting it too one way or the other and it's a very toxic substance.

I realise it's not easy to get rid of weeds without a fair amount of effort, but for your health (if nothing else) and everything around you, you need to think again. Covering the area with a good mulch of coconut or something similar will keep the weeds down and am sure there must be other products that are organic.

I have heard that using sulphur powder will deter snakes, but I have never tried it.

I have an ex Soi dog who regularly kills the snakes that come onto our property. He's killed 4 cobras already and a multitude of other snakes, both venomous and non. I am always afraid he will get bitten or spat at in the process, but he snaps them from side to side so fast they don't have a chance to take hold. Keeping fingers crossed it stays that way.

• Like 1

Please, do not use round up. Not only does it harm all birds, butterflies, bees, snakes etc, but you and your dogs will be ingesting it too one way or the other and it's a very toxic substance.

I realise it's not easy to get rid of weeds without a fair amount of effort, but for your health (if nothing else) and everything around you, you need to think again. Covering the area with a good mulch of coconut or something similar will keep the weeds down and am sure there must be other products that are organic.

I have heard that using sulphur powder will deter snakes, but I have never tried it.

I have an ex Soi dog who regularly kills the snakes that come onto our property. He's killed 4 cobras already and a multitude of other snakes, both venomous and non. I am always afraid he will get bitten or spat at in the process, but he snaps them from side to side so fast they don't have a chance to take hold. Keeping fingers crossed it stays that way.

You encourage or allow your dog to kill snakes, and presumably any other ground living creature, yet "advise" against using Roundup.

Roundup is considered to be a most benign herbicide, does not accumulate in mammals and has a short activity.

Perhaps some knowledge before commenting would not go amiss, and also rethink your standards as obviously your dog is more of a hazard to the wildlife than any application of Roundup.

Edited by Felipesed

You encourage or allow your dog to kill snakes, and presumably any other ground living creature, yet "advise" against using Roundup.

Roundup is considered to be a most benign herbicide, does not accumulate in mammals and has a short activity.

Perhaps some knowledge before commenting would not go amiss, and also rethink your standards as obviously your dog is more of a hazard to the wildlife than any application of Roundup.

I don't see any encouraging in mls' post. And you don't allow a dog to kill snakes. Some dogs just do it.

One of our ex dogs did the same. She was the main bitch of the house and killed all snakes she came by. I have no idea how I should have disallowed her from killing cobras.

And I totally agree about not using Roundup/Glyphosate. There's absolutely no need to spread that in out invironment.

• Like 1

I don't see any encouraging in mls' post. And you don't allow a dog to kill snakes. Some dogs just do it.

One of our ex dogs did the same. She was the main bitch of the house and killed all snakes she came by. I have no idea how I should have disallowed her from killing cobras.

And I totally agree about not using Roundup/Glyphosate. There's absolutely no need to spread that in out invironment.

Thanks Tormok and no, I do not encourage my dog to kill snakes or anything else for that matter. I try to rescue and remove as many snakes as possible before he gets to them, but I don't watch him every second he's out and it's his natural instinct.

And actually Felipesed I have done my research on Roundup/Glyphosate and it may be considered to be the safest weedkiller, but it is toxic and there is gradually more and more research proving it to be so. Monsanto may wish to prove otherwise with their vast gagging ability, but there are many people trying to ban it's use to protect the environment and those of us who care about it.

• Like 1

Thanks Tormok and no, I do not encourage my dog to kill snakes or anything else for that matter. I try to rescue and remove as many snakes as possible before he gets to them, but I don't watch him every second he's out and it's his natural instinct.

And actually Felipesed I have done my research on Roundup/Glyphosate and it may be considered to be the safest weedkiller, but it is toxic and there is gradually more and more research proving it to be so. Monsanto may wish to prove otherwise with their vast gagging ability, but there are many people trying to ban it's use to protect the environment and those of us who care about it.

Yes, toxic to broad-leaved plants, but not much else.

Less toxic to snakes than your dog!

Are these the same people who managed to effect a ban on DDT after reading a badly-research novel, which is why there is a malaria epidemic now?

Yes, toxic to broad-leaved plants, but not much else.

Less toxic to snakes than your dog!

Are these the same people who managed to effect a ban on DDT after reading a badly-research novel, which is why there is a malaria epidemic now?

I'm one of the people worrying about what the cocktail effect of all these herbicides, insecticides, additives and you name it, will do to us and our environement.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 1/29/2015 at 7:05 PM, JDGRUEN said:

Cats are very effective at killing snakes ... just google cats killing snakes -- even rattlesnakes in America... The large cobras might not be affected but cats can keep the snake population down as the smaller younger ones emerge. I recently saw an average sized cat back down a huge 2.5 meter very aggressive rat snake only a few weeks ago.

Maybe true but they also attract larger snakes. Had a mate who tried keeping a pet cat but it kept attracted large pythons to his yard. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2015 at 5:59 PM, nickcar said:

I chose geese becuase my family has a few when i was a kid to protect the fruit orchids

I started with 3 and often have to sell or eat them when there are to many. I once had as many as nineteen.

When owning geese, don't you also have to have industrial rated ear plugs?    ????