Mystery over death of Irish man in Buriram

webfact

Mystery over death of Irish man in Thailand

BURIRAM: -- QUESTIONS have been raised over the circumstances surrounding the death of an Irish man in Thailand.

Sligo native John Fintan Brett (68) was found dead at his apartment in the provincial capital of Buriram, about 220 miles north east of Bangkok yesterday.

Mr Brett is understood to have suffered extensive head injuries.

While Thai police are claiming the death came as a result of a fall, a friend has questioned their version of events.

John Porteus, and IT manager based in Thailand, has called for Mr Brett’s body to be returned to Ireland to allow a full post mortem to take place here.

“Police are trying to say he just fell over. None of his friends believes the police story”, Mr Porteus told The Star.

Full story: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mystery-over-death-of-irish-man-in-thailand-30936941.html

-- Independent 2015-01-27

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One doesn't sustain extensive head injuries from a fall in ones home unless you possibly fell off of the roof of course. extensive head injuries would seem to suggest a battering of the head ,

I have over the years years as a policeman seen such injuries, indeed there are reasons to suppose all is not as we have been told.

Assuming they can stop the police from burning the body, sending it home to Ireland seems the best option.

Unlike our English counterparts, the Irish government will take an interest in their citizens. If it proves to be true that he was assaulted, the Irish government will let it be known. We tend to not step around these things unlike the UK embassy.

Was he married?

RIP old man. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Assuming they can stop the police from burning the body, sending it home to Ireland seems the best option.

Unlike our English counterparts, the Irish government will take an interest in their citizens. If it proves to be true that he was assaulted, the Irish government will let it be known. We tend to not step around these things unlike the UK embassy.

Was he married?

Don't know if he was married but he was 'friendly' with the

local chief plod's daughter. Met at chapel. Bit risky that one.

One doesn't sustain extensive head injuries from a fall in ones home unless you possibly fell off of the roof of course. extensive head injuries would seem to suggest a battering of the head ,

I have over the years years as a policeman seen such injuries, indeed there are reasons to suppose all is not as we have been told.

Falling over in the shower, tripping up getting in or out of a bath, falling off a step ladder or from standing on a chair or table to reach something, tripping up on a loose mat and hitting head on the floor or hard object, falling down a flight of steps or stairs, slipping on a wet floor and the list goes on.

You'd think that following a spate of suspicious deaths, and the subsequent international media interest, that somebody upstairs at Police HQ would write a simple memo to police officers: Treat all deaths as suspicious until proven otherwise. Seal-off all potential crime scenes. Search for and collect ALL evidence not just that which supports the most convenient theory. Investigate before reaching conclusions. Do NOT spew unsupported theories to the media.

However simple it might be, it's probably not going to happen. Thai's in general, and it would seem Thai police officers in particular, suffer from a condition known as 'ility-blindness': credibility, responsibility, accountability etc.

RIP John Brett, thoughts with your family and friends

It seems to me that a lot of these happen in more tourist areas, but I mentioned not long ago that Buriram seemed dodgy to me. It was just a feeling I got after having lived a lot of years. I was very happy to leave there.

RIP and I hope someone figures out what happened.

Falling over in the shower, tripping up getting in or out of a bath, falling off a step ladder or from standing on a chair or table to reach something, tripping up on a loose mat and hitting head on the floor or hard object, falling down a flight of steps or stairs, slipping on a wet floor and the list goes on.

Yes they may give you a bang on the head but not extensive head injuries

It seems to me that a lot of these happen in more tourist areas, but I mentioned not long ago that Buriram seemed dodgy to me. It was just a feeling I got after having lived a lot of years. I was very happy to leave there.

. Out of Curiosity, What's Bugs you about Buriram

By dodgy do you mean mafia held ... ? so Buriram is another Koh Tao ?

Was he married?

Don't know if he was married but he was 'friendly' with the

local chief plod's daughter. Met at chapel. Bit risky that one.

Mocking the DEAD is catching - Bad Karma mate

Yep, I still check under the bed every morning.....

Good idea about waiting for some FACTS to hopefully figure out exactly what happened.

All of what you describe above would usually result in a possible single blow to the head rarely resulting in death, falling down stairs could be an exception

Nobody here really knows what they mean by extensive head injuries but if it refers to multiple heavy blows resulting in extensive injury and death then I would be very sceptical about it being an accident - anyone here ever tried to beat themselves to death

I have seen extensive head injuries and they are either the result of a fall from a high floor - a motoring accident - a gunshot - or a severe beating, slipping in the bath doesn't cut it

It has reached the point where reporters must have a template for reporting the news.

HEADLINE: Mystery over death of (Nationality) (Gender) in Thailand.

(Victim Name) (Age) was found dead (at his apartment, in front of bar, on beach) in (city name) yesterday.

(Victim Name) is understood to have died from (extensive head injuries, death by asphyxia, drowning, suicide).

A complete investigation has been completed and foul play is not suspected.

*** Is it just me, or am I seeing these ...like ... every day now?

Archived