Mystery over death of Irish man in Buriram

webfact

third world country ,where the police main interest is to stop you for speeding to get 200 bt ,if your speeding or not ,about time the world press started to report on all these strange deaths in thailand ,exodus ,does this happen in all asian countries

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think instances such as this are a real tragedy and a loss to us all, especially the families and friends, and to look at them in the light of what they might do to the tourism figures (as some here usually do) is to demean and degrade the death of our brothers and sisters in this tragic manner.....gone before their time.

This kind of thing just keeps on happening, starting to make me wonder why anyone would consider residing in Thailand.

sounds like an inside job , was the apartment or any property in joint names ? or money in joint names ? and did his wife or girlfriend know or have a relationship with a police officer ? if the answer is yes to any of these its obvious what the answer is , also any DNA of other people in his room ? did his wife or girlfriend disappear to the family home while all this was happening ? and is now partying every night with the local police chief ? your absolutely right why would anyone consider residing in thailand especially out in the wilds of burriram i myself only stay in civilization of bangkok or pattaya where there is plenty of witnesses and after trhe winter months are over go back to real life about april in england.

One doesn't sustain extensive head injuries from a fall in ones home unless you possibly fell off of the roof of course. extensive head injuries would seem to suggest a battering of the head ,

I have over the years years as a policeman seen such injuries, indeed there are reasons to suppose all is not as we have been told.

Falling over in the shower, tripping up getting in or out of a bath, falling off a step ladder or from standing on a chair or table to reach something, tripping up on a loose mat and hitting head on the floor or hard object, falling down a flight of steps or stairs, slipping on a wet floor and the list goes on.

Sounds very suspicious to me, extensive injuries, (plural) sounds more like multiple injuries, generally if people fall they crack their head once, and it's all over usually from a height, however I did have a neighbour in Aus, who was so drunk one night, he fell over backwards, and hit the side of his head ,falling onto the edge of a very sharp shovel, and he bled out through the night. I'm glad he is being taken back to Ireland for a proper autopsy. RIP and my sympathies to the family, and friends for their loss

And the mysterious and unexplained deaths just keep coming.

Must say that, yes, it seems that way, BUT:

I am wondering how many farang deaths of those who were staying long term in Thailand or even just visitors have been reported and proven to have died from long term illnesses, sudden heart attacks, traffic accidents or a ripe old age compared with the reported deaths of farangs by suicide, murder, death by misadventure, mysterious disappearances, drug and or alcohol abuse?

I doubt that we are given the whole picture here and in my opinion without actually conducting a thorough investigation, obtaining records and details of every farang death in Thailand over the last 20 years, then making any assessments of whether most of these farang deaths are over and above what could be described as the explainable deaths is impossible.

Headlines - Farang eventually dies of natural causes.

Read the local papers and you may find that many Thai people also come to their end in mysterious and questionable circumstances.

Rest in Peace Irish man of Buriram.

Beetlejuice post # 11

Falling over in the shower, tripping up getting in or out of a bath, falling off a step ladder or from standing on a chair or table to reach something, tripping up on a loose mat and hitting head on the floor or hard object, falling down a flight of steps or stairs, slipping on a wet floor and the list goes on.

Read that which was in the O.P and that which was in my post Extensive head injuries.

Just stop being an apologist creep of the week for the Thai police farce force in which you so proudly proclaim your sons serve in.

One doesn't sustain extensive head injuries from a fall in ones home unless you possibly fell off of the roof of course. extensive head injuries would seem to suggest a battering of the head ,

I have over the years years as a policeman seen such injuries, indeed there are reasons to suppose all is not as we have been told.

Thirty years US firefighter/medic. I say 'not likely'. RIP, and may your family find real closure.sad.png

How much do the BIB pay for press releases, or are you just a groupie?

coffee1.gif Yes, I too share your profession. 30,000 responses, appx, and this is not likely to be as reported.sad.png

I responded to thousands of medical aids as a firefighter/fire chief/paramedic supervisor, and I new saw anyone with more than minor head injuries from a fall in a dwelling. However, I did see a lot of major head trauma that those around the person wanted to blame on a fall!!!

Assuming they can stop the police from burning the body, sending it home to Ireland seems the best option.

Unlike our English counterparts, the Irish government will take an interest in their citizens. If it proves to be true that he was assaulted, the Irish government will let it be known. We tend to not step around these things unlike the UK embassy.

Was he married?

RIP old man. My thoughts are with you and your family.

RIP and condolences. 68 year old's can fall and anyone can die when their head his the ground when falling, as countless who are punched only once have.

However as one poster says extensive head injuries warrants further investigation or clarity of the descriptions. Especially in a country where deaths of foreigners, tourists and expats seems a very regular occurrence.

I would hope any government would look after their citizens interests, but many seem not to. Do you have some examples of where the Irish government have acted robustly in other such cases? I'd like to know how they achieve this with no economic, military, or international clout.

The government of the UK is British btw, But yes, by and large indifferent to the citizens welfare as long as they pay any taxes owed. It would appear other governments are the same, as many nationalities have died here, and it's usually quickly confirmed as suicide, accident or natural causes. often in strange circumstances but then left to fade away.

Get a gun licence and gun.. Helps avoid falls that result in head injuries.

While it won't stop all falls it may help break your fall.

Also helps preventing suicide.

That would involve considerable expense and overcoming difficulties for a farang.

Even if well connected to "ease" the formalities what do you expect the reaction would be to a farang shooting a Thai for any reason whatsoever?

I don't think a farang would get away with saying it went off accident which cleaning it in at the dinner table,

The words are "extensive head injuries" except for falling down stairs any of the other scenarios you mention should have only 1 blow to head not multible wounds.

Assuming they can stop the police from burning the body, sending it home to Ireland seems the best option.

Unlike our English counterparts, the Irish government will take an interest in their citizens. If it proves to be true that he was assaulted, the Irish government will let it be known. We tend to not step around these things unlike the UK embassy.

Was he married?

RIP old man. My thoughts are with you and your family.

I don't think the police can order anyone to be cremated without the consent of the family of the deceased.

There are not only mysterious deaths in Thailand. Laos has also seen an incline the last few years but for some reason these deaths don't reach this forum or Thai news. A Scottish friend who traveled up to Vientiane last September was found dead in his hotel room by hotel staff, supposedly an OD but strangely enough his 8000 Pounds or so in cash was missing. The Laos police didn't release his body until he had been dead for 1 week already. They needed time to balsam the body, so they claimed, even though the family requested his body to be sent to Bkk immediately and from there on back home for a postmortem. When his body arrived home after 12 days the coroner said it was way too late to do a postmortem and the body had been compromised due to the effect that balsaming has on the dead body. Just another case of mysterious deaths. When there is a delay in releasing the body for a postmortem it gives the police enough time to cover up the evidence. If the BiB can make a farang murder look like a suicide they will. It saves a lot of hassle and bad publicity.

"extensive head injuries"

It would take probably two of these occurencys or a single one twice to produce 'injuries'.

You'd think that following a spate of suspicious deaths, and the subsequent international media interest, that somebody upstairs at Police HQ would write a simple memo to police officers: Treat all deaths as suspicious until proven otherwise. Seal-off all potential crime scenes. Search for and collect ALL evidence not just that which supports the most convenient theory. Investigate before reaching conclusions. Do NOT spew unsupported theories to the media.

However simple it might be, it's probably not going to happen. Thai's in general, and it would seem Thai police officers in particular, suffer from a condition known as 'ility-blindness': credibility, responsibility, accountability etc.

RIP John Brett, thoughts with your family and friends

So you are suggesting that they do the job they are paid to do instead of taking the easy way out?

I really do not think they would want to do this.:) Would take up too much of their valuable time and there is no money in it for them unless they are receiving back handers to not investigate the issue.

Those type of falls/accidents normally sustain A head-wound, not multiple head-wounds or extensive head-wounds. The head might hit the floor, a table/chair or shower base but normally just the once.

Deaths of Farang residents are in the news far to often now. You used to never see anything like this. Not to mention all the tourist that are dieing in tour bus, or Van crashes and swimming and boating mishaps. Thailand is truly becoming a dangerous place for Farangs and Thais alike. Its not like the old days where Thailand was probably the safest country in the world.

A friend of mine was together with a girl up Khon Kaen way. He'd built what can only be described as a mansion. He gave jobs to her family but after one episode where the girly went Thai on him he had to leave and leave everything behind. Her brother is a local top-cop and she'd told him all types of nonsense. Now her whole family are enjoying his home. He knew he would be dead and gone if he'd stayed. A lot of people think it's handy having a copper in the family and it is, until something goes wrong in the relationship. Take heed friends...

This kind of thing just keeps on happening, starting to make me wonder why anyone would consider residing in Thailand.

And it's one of the underlying reasons I left along with many others who finally came to the conclusion that Thailand is no place for a foreigner. When you finally make the move you realise just how less stressful life it ... no more annual visas, no more 90 day reporting like a common criminal, no more suffering at the hands of violent and greedy Thais ... oh yes life is much sweeter when not living in Thailand.

We all need to take care out there.Don't upset the locals if you can avoid it.

Easier said than done.

Not upsetting these immature bunch of half wits..

If they think you are looking at them the wrong way can easily get you killed.

And oh so easy to get away with killing a foreigner here

We all need to take care out there.Don't upset the locals if you can avoid it.

Amazing how many expats know the real truth about Thailand and fear for their safety on a daily basis and yet moronically remain in Thailand. The only sensible thing to do is to get out and there's lots of choice if South East Asia is your bag ... Malaysia, Vietnam or what about Cambodia? Surely anything is better than Thailand and certainly less discriminatory.

Yes, you can hit your head when falling off a ladder or chair. But extensive head injuries? And no mention of a ladder or chair? As Siamlpolee says, EXTENSIVE HEAD INJURIES would seem to SUGGEST a battering of the head.

Archived