Mystery over death of Irish man in Buriram

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why do so many posters think every time some one dies it is foul play?
Several years ago, when i lived in Prakonchai near Buriram.
A french man who lived near me , was found dead in his bathroom .
He lived alone . Doors /windows locked from inside.
He was found in the shower DEAD fell in shower struck head.
No foul play nobody else involved just a tragic accident

Allegedly

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised no one else on here knows him? The farrang community in Buriram is quite close knit and many that I speak to frequent this forum.

A second post mortem could conclusively prove he was beaten to death if the body is re-patriated quickly. However whats the point? Does anyone think the Buriram police will actually apprehend the killer? Odds are they already know who it is and are protecting him.

My Mrs hails from Buriram and we visit once or twice each year. My observations of the police there -

- The biggest house in each village is usually a cop despite their tiny wages.

- I always keep plenty of 100 baht notes handy. Unlike in Bangkok (where it is much more rare) ill be forced to pay a bribe at least 2 or 3 times in a stay of a week.

They are even worse than their Bangkok counterparts and I actually didn`t think that was possible.

Blimey, I must get out more. I drive easily 600Km a week into and around Buriram and have never yet paid a 'fine' in the three years I am here.

Once in 6 years. Last month in Buriram, 200 Baht for not wearing a seat belt.

Just going from Jimmy's Sports Cafe to Makro and I forgot to put it on - fair cop.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No foul play nobody else involved just a tragic accident

Allegedly

Exactly catman. How do you know there was no foul play involved colinneil? Because the BiB said so? Or did it say so in the newspaper? It's easy to lock the doors/windows from the inside and still leave the house. Google it.

It would be useful to know how many farangs die in TH annually. How many of them are actual suicides or natural deaths? Even more interesting would be the amount that are covered up murders. Must run in the 100's. This information is probably not released, too sensitive. Imagine if it would come out; 100's of foreigners murdered in TH yearly but covered up by the cops to make it seem like suicides/natural deaths. It is becoming more evident that TH has been covering up crimes against fellow farangs to save their own face/pocket. Sad situation. Greed is the main motive

No foul play nobody else involved just a tragic accident.

To aid your conspiracy theories and conjecture....I knew this man well.

What was misquoted was that he did not have extensive head injuries ie those that can be gained from a fall. What he had was 'an unrecognisable face'...clearly not gained from a simple fall in his house!

I'm not at liberty to say more right now I'm sorry. And know it's not a troll post.

RTP don't know how to investigate.

RTP don't like to investigate.

RTP don't want to investigate.

These are people who can't deal with complex issues. These are people who can't quite understand cause and effect.

Assuming they can stop the police from burning the body, sending it home to Ireland seems the best option.

Unlike our English counterparts, the Irish government will take an interest in their citizens. If it proves to be true that he was assaulted, the Irish government will let it be known. We tend to not step around these things unlike the UK embassy.

Was he married?

RIP old man. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Don't know if he was married but he was 'friendly' with the

local chief plod's daughter. Met at chapel. Bit risky that one.

Mocking the DEAD is catching - Bad Karma mate

Maybe a hint of pedo humour there too!bah.gif

One doesn't sustain extensive head injuries from a fall in ones home unless you possibly fell off of the roof of course. extensive head injuries would seem to suggest a battering of the head ,

I have over the years years as a policeman seen such injuries, indeed there are reasons to suppose all is not as we have been told.

While I bow to your police experience, their is potential he could suffer life threatening injuries due to a seizure related occurrence, particularly if it occurred somewhere like a bathroom with hard and sharp objects to fall against.

The above post is Nonsense. The poor man was attacked. A blind man could see it. Don't understand why there are so many on here trying to suggest otherwise!

You obviously have no idea what a seizure is, let alone the damage someone can do to themselves during one. BTW one of the characteristics of being a blind person is that they cannot see, or are you not aware of that?.

One doesn't sustain extensive head injuries from a fall in ones home unless you possibly fell off of the roof of course. extensive head injuries would seem to suggest a battering of the head ,

I have over the years years as a policeman seen such injuries, indeed there are reasons to suppose all is not as we have been told.

While I bow to your police experience, their is potential he could suffer life threatening injuries due to a seizure related occurrence, particularly if it occurred somewhere like a bathroom with hard and sharp objects to fall against.

Sorry but no. Anyone that has different opinions to siampolee regarding these cases he considers as an apologist creep, plus he considers the Thai police and anyone that has connections with the Thai police as something to be ashamed of and a load of crap.

Perhaps Thailand should hire the services of ex Inspector siampolee of the Yard to show them how criminal investigations should really be done?

It seems to me that a lot of these happen in more tourist areas, but I mentioned not long ago that Buriram seemed dodgy to me. It was just a feeling I got after having lived a lot of years. I was very happy to leave there.

RIP and I hope someone figures out what happened.

By dodgy do you mean mafia held ... ? so Buriram is another Koh Tao ?

Khmer Rouge enclave - I know we tracked them in '73 and they disappeared into Thailand - yep you guessed it - Buriram..........remember the song 'They smile in your face' well, I always got chills the way the Khmer old men in Buriram looked at foreigners. I once helped a girl from Nana relocate back home to Buriram (forget the town) her brothers, uncles, Father and every other old man came out to help unload my truck - she made no bones about - "it was time for me to get back to Bangkok, not safe here"

Never been back since. some of the cutest girls I have seen though, and ugliest women.

Beetlejuice post # 100.

Sorry but no. Anyone that has different opinions to siampolee regarding these cases he considers as an apologist creep, plus he considers the Thai police and anyone that has connections with the Thai police as something to be ashamed of and a load of crap.

Perhaps Thailand should hire the services of ex Inspector siampolee of the Yard to show them how criminal investigations should really be done?

Sorry but no.

Anyone that has different opinions to Beetlejuice regarding this case and others too in his eyes those persons are Thai bashers when they consider the Thai police somewhat corrupt and inefficient and less than honest and anyone that has those opinions are in the minds of Beetlejuice talking a load of crap.

Perhaps Thailand should hire the services of Beetlejuice the shill of the Thai police farce force to show them how criminal investigations should really be done and how to project a positive image from a tarnished mirror ?

P.S.

Beetlejuice, yes, I do live in Thailand and have done so for some 24 years too.

The only virtue I have is that linked to the acronym A.C.A.B.!!

I was and am an ex professional copper (S.B.) and poster here, thus being originally born out of wedlock, I don't have to work at it like some people!!cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

It seems to me that a lot of these happen in more tourist areas, but I mentioned not long ago that Buriram seemed dodgy to me. It was just a feeling I got after having lived a lot of years. I was very happy to leave there.

Khmer Rouge enclave - I know we tracked them in '73 and they disappeared into Thailand - yep you guessed it - Buriram..........remember the song 'They smile in your face' well, I always got chills the way the Khmer old men in Buriram looked at foreigners. I once helped a girl from Nana relocate back home to Buriram (forget the town) her brothers, uncles, Father and every other old man came out to help unload my truck - she made no bones about - "it was time for me to get back to Bangkok, not safe here"

Never been back since. some of the cutest girls I have seen though, and ugliest women.

Another load of rubbish. I have been living in a Khmer village for 16 years. Never had a problem. Why make such sweeping comments?

I first set foot in my village in Southern Buriram 30 years ago. I can't be sure of course but it wouldn't surprise me if I was the first falang to set foot in the place. Yes at first I was treated with suspicion after all the locals had only seen farangs on the television (if they were lucky enough to have one) and had probably never seen one in the flesh.

It took no time at all however for them to realise that I was just another human being although rather strange. They were delighted when I started to learn to try and speak Thai even though the local language is Khmen. Nowadays of course I'm just part of the furniture, there are many farangs about including a couple who live in the village periodically.

As far as the Police are concerned, its 35 years since I was a copper but you don't forget your training . Even without the modern police investigative techniques such as DNA and forensic I reckon I could still do a damn sight better job of doing an investigation than the RTP. To put it blumtly they are hopeless.

Not trying to be pedantic but, after 30 years, you probably know that the Cambodian language is Khmer rather than Khmen (which seems to be a fictional language labeled by local Thais who cannot pronounce their "R's").

I believe that "Poot Khmen dai" should really be "Poot Khmer dai" :)

Follow the money.

(but if the police are complacent, or even worse, complicit, who will do the following?)

Ahh, but that's the place where nothing will stick.

This was already "fixed" with money.

Too little to late. Any money found in the wrong hands will be attributed to a relative from overseas who had recently sent it. Papers are drawn up on this quite easily.

A little slant on the Money Laundering Issue. Some local banks are still into that.

Unless it gets proven otherwise, through eye witnesses, or a "jilted" accomplice that did not get his cut...

this will just be a case of a man who fell down and bumped his head.

T.I.T.

Not trying to be pedantic but, after 30 years, you probably know that the Cambodian language is Khmer rather than Khmen (which seems to be a fictional language labeled by local Thais who cannot pronounce their "R's").

I believe that "Poot Khmen dai" should really be "Poot Khmer dai" smile.png

Wrong. You are transfixing an English word onto a different language. What we call the language in English has no bearing on what it is called in a different language.

It`s no different than French people calling English "Anglais."

Wrong. You are transfixing an English word onto a different language. What we call the language in English has no bearing on what it is called in a different language.

The language is known locally, in Thai, as Khmer. The difference in pronunciation is that in Thai language the symbol for "R" is actually pronounced as an "N" if it happens to be at the end of the word.

If we were using the English word then we would say "Cambodian".

Another load of rubbish. I have been living in a Khmer village for 16 years. Never had a problem. Why make such sweeping comments?

He asked, I answered - wouldn't want everyone to think the Mafia controlled the place now would I?? I also lived in Phnom Penh for two years, 95-97 and have visited Cambodia a dozen times since then - you mention Burirum to them and the first words out of their mouth is "Aaah, Pon Pot, Khmer Rouge" sorry about the ugly women comment - they do seem to get old very fast around there, must be somthing in the water. I stand by the rest of the rubbish.wai.gif

Falling over in the shower, tripping up getting in or out of a bath, falling off a step ladder or from standing on a chair or table to reach something, tripping up on a loose mat and hitting head on the floor or hard object, falling down a flight of steps or stairs, slipping on a wet floor and the list goes on.

And how many of those events worldwide ever end in death, except in Thailand?

(You forgot slipping on the side of the swimming pool)

Unfortunately not Tully.

It is the general Thai inability to pronounce R's and 'L's' at the end ie it is why we get Aresenon and Footbon - solely because the Thais can't get to grips with the word. Khmerrrrrrr is the same.

Ironically, in Buriram province they are better at pronouncing R's - my missus can roll her R's perfectly............... (as in Khmerrrrr!)

Cambodian translates as Khmer (there is no such word Khmen) but it is spoken as Khmen for the reasons pointed out by 'youravinalaff' who is a local cunning linguist.

2. เขมร speaker_sm.gif khaL maehnR adjective Cambodian

I have been threatened twice with intent to kill in my time in Buriram. On both occasions the Police wrere called and were present within minutes. And they handled the individuals appropriately as to the circumstance. Why is it that only the negative is too often promoted on these forums? Are you disappointed that your choice for s low budget lifestyle has not afforded you some superior western advantages?????? If a Thai dies in questionable circumstance do you care? Take the thought onboard,,,,,,

This kind of thing just keeps on happening, starting to make me wonder why anyone would consider residing in Thailand.

I don't know why someone with money would retire to Thailand. If you have money you're better off in Malaysia

Too much islam in Malaysia.

Yes, you only ever want a sprinkling of Islam.

Unfortunately not Tully.

It is the general Thai inability to pronounce R's and 'L's' at the end ie it is why we get Aresenon and Footbon - solely because the Thais can't get to grips with the word. Khmerrrrrrr is the same.

Ironically, in Buriram province they are better at pronouncing R's - my missus can roll her R's perfectly............... (as in Khmerrrrr!)

Cambodian translates as Khmer (there is no such word Khmen) but it is spoken as Khmen for the reasons pointed out by 'youravinalaff' who is a local cunning linguist.

2. เขมร speaker_sm.gif khaL maehnR adjective Cambodian

This thread is about some poor chap that is dead. NOT about the spelling of one word. WAKE UP. Condolences to his friends and family.

Assuming they can stop the police from burning the body, sending it home to Ireland seems the best option.

Unlike our English counterparts, the Irish government will take an interest in their citizens. If it proves to be true that he was assaulted, the Irish government will let it be known. We tend to not step around these things unlike the UK embassy.

Was he married?

RIP old man. My thoughts are with you and your family.

I know you have to be Irish to get into the parlour but isn't it Scotland where everything's better?

Archived