Tottenham Thread

chonabot

• Replies 31.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fulham 2-1 Arsenal

Brian McBride (left) gave Fulham an early lead

Fulham claimed their first win over Arsenal in 40 years as the visitors never recovered from a nightmare start.

Brian McBride's header and a tap-in by Tomasz Radzinski put Fulham ahead, with Robin van Persie's free-kick being Arsenal's only first-half plus point.

In a thrilling second half, Philippe Senderos was sent off and Luis Boa Morte and Theo Walcott hit the woodwork at either end.

Jens Lehmann ended the match in attack but Fulham held on for a famous win.

After an assured start by Arsenal, McBride gave Fulham a shock lead when he headed in Claus Jensen's corner.

Mathieu Flamini could have headed the ball off the line but Lehmann's touch pushed the ball from him.

Ex-Gunner Boa Morte then increased his old team's agony as Fulham, who had lost their last two games, opened up a shock two-goal lead.

He showed deft footwork on the left before firing across an open goal to Radzinski, who tapped in his first goal of the season at the far post.

Lehmann did well to stand up to Boa Morte and deny Fulham a third as the Arsenal defence was cut to ribbons by Michael Brown's optimistic ball forward.

Van Persie's stunning free-kick after Liam Rosenior's foul on Alexander Hleb kept Arsenal in the game.

But Jensen and McBride both came close to restoring Fulham's advantage before half-time.

Arsenal showed more intent after the restart, with Thierry Henry finding the net only to be denied by an off-side flag.

Senderos' way of dealing with the ever-dangerous Boa Morte was to bring him down and earn a second yellow card.

Lehmann was left counting his blessings after seeing the resulting free-kick rattle the underside of the bar, only for Arsenal's Theo Walcott to go up the other end and hit the foot of the post.

It was then Boa Morte's turn to be denied by an off-side flag as the sides kept the pace up in a highly entertaining game.

In a frantic finale, Henry failed to connect with Justin Hoyte's cross and Lehmann went forward for a corner, but to no avail, as Arsenal suffered their third away defeat in a row.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fulham manager Chris Coleman:

"At half time we said we can't sit back, we have to ask more questions andd take the game to them. Over the 90 minutes we deserved it.

"Arsenal are at their best when the opposition attack so we said when we do make sure we're tight at the back.

"You need a bit of luck against Arsenal and if we've had it then we earned it."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger:

"The game was played at a high pace, I can't fault the team but it's difficult when you're 2-0 down early on.

"We're playing many games at the moment but the team showed great spirit and reactions, we fought until the end but it just doesn't seem to be going for us at the moment.

"Of course we are down and disappointed, but it's part of your job to cope with that - if you want to play at the top level, sometimes it doesn't got your way.

"We have character and we will respond, don't worry."

Fulham: Niemi, Volz, Christanval, Knight, Rosenior, Brown, Boa Morte, Radzinski (Routledge 46), Diop, Claus Jensen, McBride (Helguson 76). Subs Not Used: Lastuvka, John, Zakuani.

Booked: Brown, Rosenior, Boa Morte, Helguson.

Goals: McBride 6, Radzinski 19.

Arsenal: Lehmann, Hoyte, Toure, Senderos, Flamini, Rosicky (Walcott 61), Song Billong (Fabregas 46), Silva, Hleb (Djourou 65), Henry, Van Persie. Subs Not Used: Almunia, Adebayor.

Sent Off: Senderos (66).

Booked: Song Billong, Senderos, Rosicky, Van Persie, Flamini.

Goals: Van Persie 36.

Att: 24,510

Ref: H Webb (S Yorkshire).

Oh YESSSSS!!!!

Can't wait for the game now!!! :D:o:D

MASSIVE GAME

It will probably be the game that defines Spurs' season.

A win may set off a run that projects them into the top four.

A loss will probably condemn them to a mid-table finish.

Unfortunately, the defeat at Fulham will probably make Arsenal even more determined not to suffer another defeat...

....but on th other hand, maybe they've developed the losing habit :o

I always put the jinkx on Spurs if I watch them play - so I promise to keep the TV off (unless the are 3 nil up at half time :D )

Aaaahh <deleted>.... :D

And to think that if there were the benefits of instant replays it would have been 0-0 :D:D

No we deserved to lose , absolutely crap at times.

:D

I agree, but the goal was offside. First penalty wasnt, 2nd penalty Van Persie handballed it first

Spurs were still s#ite though :o

Sorry guys,

I watched the first five minutes, and then realised I'd better stop as my jinx was alive and well.

Alas! too late :o

This season is going down the tube if we're not careful.

I like Jol, but I do worry about him sometimes.

Was last year just a flash in the pan?

Will it be another 30 years of hurt?

Aaaahh <deleted>.... :D

And to think that if there were the benefits of instant replays it would have been 0-0 :D:D

:D

I agree, but the goal was offside. First penalty wasnt, 2nd penalty Van Persie handballed it first

Spurs were still s#ite though :o

The good news is, City moved up to 11th and Tottenham moved down to 12th because of goal difference. And we didn't even play yesterday. Wish every week was like that :D

I am still gutted

That was the WORST performance i have seen fron a Spurs side vs Scum, ever, we were gutless, our Midfield was over run far too easily, for me, Davids and Huddlestone in the middle and why he didnt play Defoe, i dont know, really pissed off, looking at there team on paper prior to KO, i was so excited, No Henry, perfect i thought.

Wank performance, ref was shocking, but we just didnt turn up and deserved NOTHING

Still in shock

Aaaahh <deleted>....

I concur!

And to think that if there were the benefits of instant replays it would have been 0-0

I concur!

I concur!

I agree, but the goal was offside. First penalty wasnt, 2nd penalty Van Persie handballed it first Spurs were still s#ite though

I concur!

A lickle bit of cheer for a change!

Tottenham 2-1 Middlesbrough

By Saj Chowdhury

Keane celebrated his goal in typical fashion

Robbie Keane's late strike helped Spurs to all three points at the expense of Middlesbrough in a match that saw both teams finish with 10 men.

Spurs took the lead thanks to a fine volley from Bulgarian Dimitar Berbatov early in the second half.

Robert Huth equalised for Boro with a fierce strike inside the area, before substitute Keane smashed in a superb shot from 25 yards out.

Didier Zokora and George Boateng saw red after a mass brawl late on.

Interview: Spurs boss Martin Jol

The incident provided a bitter end to what was an entertaining and, largely, tame affair.

It seemed like it would not be Tottenham's day following a first half that saw the north London side miss a plethora of chances that came their way.

606: DEBATE

Tom Huddlestone has to start for Tottenham every week. He is exceptional

JC

606: Have your say

Spurs hot-shot Jermain Defoe twice came close, but his 20-yard free-kick dipped too late and then his stinging shot was palmed away by Mark Schwarzer.

His team-mate and England Under-21 star Huddlestone also went close on a couple of occasions and must have impressed national team coach Steve McClaren, who was in the stands.

The teenager anchored the Spurs midfield superbly, but also had the energy to venture forward and test the Boro goalkeeper, with a 20-yard strike that flew narrowly over followed by a surging run and slightly wayward shot.

Defoe's partner in attack, Berbatov, often frustrates, and he did so in the opening 45 minutes.

But just a minute after the restart, he found his touch, executing a wonderful piece of skill to send the home fans delirious.

Huddlestone dinked in a free-kick from the left edge of the area to Chimbonda on the right who nodded the ball into the path of the Bulgarian striker.

Berbatov swivelled and in a single action placed his volley beyond the reach of Schwarzer.

If it was not for the Boro keeper, the score could have been more handsome for Tottenham.

Defoe was twice denied after the break by the Australia international, who rushed out of his area to block point-blank.

At the other end there were few chances of note.

A Huth free-kick had to be punched away by Paul Robinson, while the follow-up saw James Morrison sweep his shot just wide of the keeper's left-hand upright.

The storm after the calm

Spurs were cruising until they suffered the jitters. The home defence failed to clear Stewart Downing's free-kick from the left and Huth made them pay, thrashing in from six yards.

Boro hardly had time to celebrate, when Keane, who had just been brought on, was fed by Huddlestone's quick free-kick and lashed in a stunning shot.

Game set match, yes, but the drama was not over.

Spurs midfielder Aaron Lennon, lively throughout the match, was a little too lively when he appeared to push over Boateng.

The Dutch player rose to retaliate, but before he could reach Lennon, Zokora rushed in to take matters into his own hands.

Their team-mates soon became involved in an ugly melee before referee Mark Halsey stepped in and brandished red cards to Zokora and Boateng.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tottenham boss Martin Jol:

"If you waste six or seven chances to score the second goal then it's always going to be difficult.

"A 1-0 lead is never enough. I would have been upset if we had not won."

Boro boss Gareth Southgate:

"There's a challenge between George (Boateng) and one of their players. Then George gets bundled over.

"I don't think he was doing anything other than stopping people running at him. Hopefully, the referee will have another look at the incident."

Tottenham: Robinson, Chimbonda, Dawson, King, Lee, Lennon, Zokora, Huddlestone, Malbranque (Keane 81), Defoe (Tainio 89), Berbatov, Keane (Murphy 90).

Subs Not Used: Cerny, Stalteri.

Sent Off: Zokora (88).

Goals: Berbatov 48, Keane 84.

Middlesbrough: Schwarzer, Xavier, Huth, Woodgate, Pogatetz, Taylor (Arca 46), Cattermole (Viduka 57), Boateng, Downing, Yakubu, Christie (Morrison 46).

Subs Not Used: Jones, Parnaby.

Sent Off: Boateng (87).

Booked: Arca, Huth, Pogatetz.

Goals: Huth 80.

Att: 34,154

Ref: M Halsey (Lancashire).

Source BBC

Chonabot news

Well we are 10th , only 3 points off 3rd place by golly. :D

1 Man Utd 16 6 1 1 17 3 7 1 0 18 5 27 41

2 Chelsea 15 6 1 0 14 3 5 1 2 11 5 17 35

3 Arsenal 15 4 4 0 16 4 3 0 4 9 8 13 25

4 Portsmouth 16 5 2 1 14 6 2 2 4 7 8 7 25

5 Liverpool 16 6 2 0 14 3 1 2 5 5 12 4 25

6 Reading 15 5 1 2 11 9 3 0 4 6 9 -1 25

7 Everton 16 5 2 1 13 5 1 4 3 7 10 5 24

8 Aston Villa 16 4 3 1 12 7 1 6 1 7 8 4 24

9 Bolton 16 4 1 3 8 7 3 2 3 7 8 0 24

10 Tottenham 16 6 1 1 12 6 0 3 5 3 14 -5 22

Let's step it up you yids and get some big points behind us.

[No offense to Thaipauly :o] But even fkn Reading and Portsmouth are beating us so far^^&^%&^(...

Nuff said.

:D:D

Yeah we needed that win , big time

I got up at 3am to watch the game on the net, got to see about half the game as i kept on having to refresh the page!!! got the goals but missed the fight!!! 2 great goals and a poor fight, why didnt Zakora show that last Sat???

Why cant we just win 3-0, the times we let teams back in!!!

I do hope we smash Charlton on Sat, and its on LIVE ESPN, yess

C O Y S

Having recovered from the disaster, witnessed jointly with house, of the dirty arse and Englands answer to Mr Magoo, Graham Poll, I am pleased to see the result against M'boro. Unfortunately, I missed that one, being on a flight to UK and am going to miss Sat, as I am now in the UK, you seemingly cannot see, er, English football on the telly at 3pm, saturday...

Never mind, prayers, buddhist chanting etc for a win!

But.. Keane out for six weeks, Jenas 4... :D

Lucky we have a big squad.... :o

Having recovered from the disaster, witnessed jointly with house, of the dirty arse and Englands answer to Mr Magoo, Graham Poll, I am pleased to see the result against M'boro. Unfortunately, I missed that one, being on a flight to UK and am going to miss Sat, as I am now in the UK, you seemingly cannot see, er, English football on the telly at 3pm, saturday...

Never mind, prayers, buddhist chanting etc for a win!

But.. Keane out for six weeks, Jenas 4... :D

Lucky we have a big squad.... :o

Don't think we will miss Jenas too much, Huddlestone is playing very well at the moment and we have no shortage of mid fielders! :D

However Robbie is another story........... :D

Keano , yep its a shame but it will give Defoe and Berby time to gel in what i think is our best 2 up top. Our Midfield is deep, so not worried about loosing Jenas

Lennon has to step up, the past 3 games he has been quiet although against Boro was better

Big 3 points on Sat , enjoy the game , its live.

Fingers crossed for a 5-0 or a 3-0, lets just beat a team proper!!!

C O Y S

Tottenham 5-1 Charlton By Sam Lyon

Spurs striker Berbatov celebrates his second with Huddlestone

Dimitar Berbatov struck twice as Spurs produced a clinical display to beat Charlton and move into seventh spot.

The visitors had actually started well before Berbatov poked home and Teemu Tainio struck from range as Spurs got two in two minutes on the half hour.

Charlton came back before half time when Michael Dawson slid into his own net, but Spurs were rampant thereafter.

Steed Malbranque volleyed his first for the club and Defoe drilled in, before Berbatov's cool finish wrapped it up.

While the victory extended Tottenham's recent run to six straight home league wins, it left Charlton languishing in 19th spot and just a point off the bottom of the Premiership.

But the result seemed most unlikely in an opening half hour that was dominated by the visitors.

With Souleymane Diawara shackling Defoe closely and Berbatov typically flitting in and out of the game early on, the visitors were able to dominate possession.

They deserved to lead in the opening stages, Amady Faye and Reid both going close from range, before Lloyd Sam's goal-bound snap-shot was deflected wide by Ledley King's tackle.

But all their efforts came undone thanks to a splendid Tottenham goal on the half hour.

The impressive Tom Huddlestone collected in midfield and slid to Aaron Lennon, whose reverse pass found Berbatov in the box and the Bulgarian coolly poked into the corner for his eighth of the season.

Tainio celebrates his first goal for Tottenham in almost a year

To rub salt into Charlton's wounds, Tainio doubled that lead moments later, firing low into the net via the slightest of deflections to give Spurs a two-goal cushion.

Charlton have scored more than one goal in a league game just twice this season, but to their credit they refused to buckle.

And they were handed a lifeline before half time when Reid came back to haunt his previous employers, dancing around Huddlestone on the left and firing in a fine cross that Dawson could only poke past Robinson.

Buoyed by their earlier successes, Charlton boss Les Reed put another forward in Dennis Rommedahl on eight minutes into the second half, but just minutes later Malbranque restored Spurs' two-goal cushion.

The French midfielder chested down Berbatov's knock-down and volleyed low into the corner from 18 yards.

Suddenly, Charlton's early-game belief had evaporated and a fourth was not long in coming.

Lennon closed Bryan Hughes down 50 yards out and the ricochet fell to Defoe, who took a touch before rifling into the top corner from 20 yards.

There was still 27 minutes remaining at that point and Charlton were left struggling to keep the score down - something they failed to do as Berbatov strode onto Paul Robinson's long throw and waltzed into the box before firing through Scott Carson's legs.

There was still time for Huddlestone to come close to capping another fine display when he drilled inches over in the last few minutes but, despite their second-half collapse, even a five-goal margin would have been harsh on the visitors.

And, if only to prove it was not Charlton's day, Robinson produced two superb saves in the dying minutes, firstly when Darren Bent was clear on goal and then from Rommedahl's ambitious cross-shot, before Faye somehow screwed wide of an open goal in stoppage time.

Tottenham: Robinson, Chimbonda (Stalteri 82), Dawson, King, Lee, Lennon, Huddlestone, Tainio, Malbranque (Murphy 70), Berbatov (Mido 76), Defoe.

Subs Not Used: Cerny, Ghaly.

Booked: Dawson, Malbranque.

Goals: Berbatov 31, Tainio 33, Malbranque 55, Defoe 63, Berbatov 66.

Charlton: Carson, Young, Diawara, El Karkouri, Hreidarsson, Sam, Kishishev (Rommedahl 53), Faye, Hughes, Reid (Hasselbaink 67), Darren Bent.

Subs Not Used: Myhre, Holland, Fortune.

Booked: Hughes, Reid, Sam, Diawara.

Goals: Dawson 43 og.

Att: 35,565

Ref: M Dean (Wirral).

Source BBC

Yes!!!!!!!!

Keano , yep its a shame but it will give Defoe and Berby time to gel in what i think is our best 2 up top. Our Midfield is deep, so not worried about loosing Jenas

Lennon has to step up, the past 3 games he has been quiet although against Boro was better

C O Y S

Spurs 5 - 1 Charlton

Dimitar Berbatov struck twice as Spurs produced a clinical display to beat Charlton and move into seventh spot.

The visitors had actually started well before Berbatov poked home and Teemu Tainio struck from range as Spurs got two in two minutes on the half hour.

Charlton came back before half time when Michael Dawson slid into his own net, but Spurs were rampant thereafter.

Steed Malbranque volleyed his first for the club and Defoe drilled in, before Berbatov's cool finish wrapped it up.

While the victory extended Tottenham's recent run to six straight home league wins, it left Charlton languishing in 19th spot and just a point off the bottom of the Premiership.

But the result seemed most unlikely in an opening half hour that was dominated by the visitors.

With Souleymane Diawara shackling Defoe closely and Berbatov typically flitting in and out of the game early on, the visitors were able to dominate possession.

They deserved to lead in the opening stages, Amady Faye and Reid both going close from range, before Lloyd Sam's goal-bound snap-shot was deflected wide by Ledley King's tackle.

But all their efforts came undone thanks to a splendid Tottenham goal on the half hour.

The impressive Tom Huddlestone collected in midfield and slid to Aaron Lennon, whose reverse pass found Berbatov in the box and the Bulgarian coolly poked into the corner for his eighth of the season.

To rub salt into Charlton's wounds, Tainio doubled that lead moments later, firing low into the net via the slightest of deflections to give Spurs a two-goal cushion.

Charlton have scored more than one goal in a league game just twice this season, but to their credit they refused to buckle.

And they were handed a lifeline before half time when Reid came back to haunt his previous employers, dancing around Huddlestone on the left and firing in a fine cross that Dawson could only poke past Robinson.

Buoyed by their earlier successes, Charlton boss Les Reed put another forward in Dennis Rommedahl on eight minutes into the second half, but just minutes later Malbranque restored Spurs' two-goal cushion.

The French midfielder chested down Berbatov's knock-down and volleyed low into the corner from 18 yards.

Suddenly, Charlton's early-game belief had evaporated and a fourth was not long in coming.

Lennon closed Bryan Hughes down 50 yards out and the ricochet fell to Defoe, who took a touch before rifling into the top corner from 20 yards.

There was still 27 minutes remaining at that point and Charlton were left struggling to keep the score down - something they failed to do as Berbatov strode onto Paul Robinson's long throw and waltzed into the box before firing through Scott Carson's legs.

There was still time for Huddlestone to come close to capping another fine display when he drilled inches over in the last few minutes but, despite their second-half collapse, even a five-goal margin would have been harsh on the visitors.

And, if only to prove it was not Charlton's day, Robinson produced two superb saves in the dying minutes, firstly when Darren Bent was clear on goal and then from Rommedahl's ambitious cross-shot, before Faye somehow screwed wide of an open goal in stoppage time.

Tottenham: Robinson, Chimbonda (Stalteri 82), Dawson, King, Lee, Lennon, Huddlestone, Tainio, Malbranque (Murphy 70), Berbatov (Mido 76), Defoe.

Charlton: Carson, Young, Diawara, El Karkouri, Hreidarsson, Sam, Kishishev (Rommedahl 53), Faye, Hughes, Reid (Hasselbaink 67), Darren Bent.

Ref: M Dean (Wirral). (as opposed to Mr Magoo... :o ) /edit bkkandrew

Source: BBC

Brilliant win. Shame not on the TV in England!

C O Y S

C O Y S

Spurs 5 - 1 Charlton

Ref: M Dean (Wirral). (as opposed to Mr Magoo... :o ) /edit bkkandrew

Source: BBC

Brilliant win. Shame not on the TV in England!

Sorry Chonobot, we were both racing to post the same thing. No wonder the flow control was going mental at me!!

I am going to get very very very drunk tonight on some very very very good red wine :D

No worries, wish I could have a few, working nights............................. :o

Sorry Chonobot, we were both racing to post the same thing. No wonder the flow control was going mental at me!!

I am going to get very very very drunk tonight on some very very very good red wine :D

No worries, wish I could have a few, working nights............................. :o

You'd better have your friends locked and double locked Chon, I need to have a good nights sleep tonight, particularly after a few chilled Chardonay's :D

Have a good night

Good Luck

Moss

Yeah, played pretty well last night but let's not lose sight of who the opposition were. Charlton are a VERY poor side!

Losing Keano for a while could be a blessing, it will give Daffy a real run in the side without worrying about his place and also means he won't press for a move in January. Good to see Berby settling in finally and hitting form. Plus, did anyone notice how the midfield looked a lot better without Zokora?? For me, he hasn't really done it yet and I need convincing a bit more.

Chimbonda settled well, good player. Not sure about Tainio but Huddlestone looks a superb talent. If The Jolly Man doesn't tinker too much at the end of the season then over the next few years we will be a real threat. All we need is a classy left back and a genuine world class central midfielder and I reckon we're there.

Daws and King Ledley - Is there a better pairing in the league..?? I don't think so!

Southend coming up soon so should go through to Carling Cup semis no probs.

COME ON YOU SPURS!

Archived