Tottenham Thread

chonabot

GHALY'S REGRET

Hossam Ghaly has expressed deep regret over his actions on leaving the pitch on Thursday night when he was substituted against Blackburn Rovers.

The Egyptian international, himself a 28th minute replacement for the injured Steed Malbranque, saw his number being held up by the fourth official after an hour to allow for the introduction of Robbie Keane. He responded to the cheering of the crowd over the change by removing his shirt and throwing it to one side before heading straight down the tunnel.

"I am just so angry with myself," said the midfielder. "I have always considered it an honour to wear the Tottenham shirt and I never intended to show any disrespect.

"I knew things weren't happening for me out there, my play was terrible and I could hear the crowd jeering me. I was so upset at the fans' reaction. I have enjoyed playing in front of the Club's supporters all season and I felt I had given of my best all the time and played some decent football. It is always hard to accept being substituted after such a short period of time and I was upset and taken aback by the cheering. I am a player who plays with my heart.

"I know my reaction was totally wrong. I have apologised to the manager and I also want to apologise to the fans. I hope they don't judge me on this incident alone. I have tried hard for the Club this season.

Jol has decided that Hossam will not be involved in the final game of the season on Sunday against Manchester City

I think that will be his last!

• Replies 31.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tottenham 2-1 Man City

By Sam Lyon

Keane volleys home the opener to set Tottenham on their way

Robbie Keane marked his 200th Tottenham appearance with a goal to set the hosts on the way to a narrow win that sealed them fifth spot and a Uefa Cup place.

The Irishman turned delightfully in the box to volley Jermaine Jenas' clipped pass into the net for the opener.

And Dimitar Berbatov notched his 23rd of the season when he slammed home.

Emile Mpenza's header reduced the arrears and City threatened a leveller, but Jermain Defoe should have sealed it late on only to see his penalty saved.

Interview: Tottenham head coach Martin Jol

Interview: Man City boss Stuart Pearce

The victory brought huge cheers from the home crowd, who delighted in their club matching last season's league finish, but City will rightly feel aggrieved at not getting anything from a game they dominated at times.

Tottenham certainly started the brighter, Aaron Lennon going close to an opener when he cut inside the box and shot straight at Andreas Isaksson.

606: DEBATE

Well done to Martin Jol, Chris Hughton and the lads

GM

And a fine passing move brought them their first minutes later, Berbatov and King combining well to find Jenas, who clipped a delightful ball over the top which Keane swivelled under and volleyed home.

City claimed offside but replays suggested Keane had been kept marginally onside by Nedum Onuoha at right-back.

However, as is so often the case for a team playing without the pressure of needing a result, the visitors were proving obstinate opposition.

With Stephen Ireland and Michael Johnson pressing well in midfield, only a superb reaction Paul Robinson save from Darius Vassell's snap-shot kept Spurs ahead.

It was not long before Tottenham made it two, though, as Berbatov latched onto Lennon's fine dummy, bundled his way into the box and slammed low into the near corner.

It should have brought about a procession for Spurs, who were playing some fantastic football at times, but City deservedly reduced the deficit before half-time when Mpenza headed Hamann's precise cross home totally unmarked from six yards.

Keane and Berbatov again proved the difference for Tottenham

And it should have been 2-2 moments later, Mpenza forcing Robinson into a sprawling save from the angle and Johnson heading the rebound over with the goal at his mercy.

Any thoughts that Spurs would emerge from half-time a more secure outfit were dispelled in the opening exchanges as City upped the tempo.

With Mpenza causing the home defence problems, the visitors pinned Spurs back in their own half as the likes of DaMarcus Beasley and Ireland dominated possession.

And Robinson again proved Spurs' saviour on the hour mark when Beasley rose highest to send a looping header towards the top corner that the England number one tipped over the bar on the stretch.

Spurs boss Martin Jol reacted by replacing the tired Lennon with Steed Malbranque and it almost had the desired effect late on, only for Dunne to slide Berbatov's low cross away with Keane looming.

It should have been 3-1 late in the piece after Dunne was harshly adjudged to have shoved Didier Zokora - the initial contact was outside the box - but substitute Defoe's tame penalty was saved and he blazed the rebound over.

It mattered little, though, as Spurs saw out the closing minutes without alarm to secure victory and £7,738,000 in prize money for their fifth-placed finish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tottenham boss Martin Jol:

"We are absolutely delighted and rightly so. For this club to finish fifth two season on the trot is a big achievement.

"Credit to Manchester City, they came at us and never gave up. This was our third game in six days and they pressed us really well, but we had some heroes out there and our quality told.

"We are fifth again and we are celebrating. This club wants to be top six, in Europe every season, and we've done that. Now our aim is to get a trophy because that is what we deserve.

"As for Dimitar Berbatov - the answer is very clear. Of course he will be here next season. He's got a very long, very good contract. He's a sensitive lad, he loves the fans, they love him and he's extremely happy here."

City manager Stuart Pearce:

"We did not deserve to lose that. We stuck in, were resilient and did brilliantly away from home to be honest. Not to mention the fact that both Spurs goals were offside if you ask me.

"We created chances but, much like the whole season, we've just not had the goals in us. We need to go out and make sure we address that during the summer.

"We're possibly on the onset of a takeover and this club needs investment. There will be speculation about me and my players, of course, but that's football."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tottenham: Robinson, Chimbonda, Dawson, King, Gardner, Lennon (Malbranque 75), Jenas, Zokora, Tainio, Keane (Defoe 81), Berbatov.

Subs Not Used: Cerny, Huddlestone, Assou-Ekotto.

Booked: Gardner.

Goals: Keane 10, Berbatov 32.

Man City: Isaksson, Onuoha, Dunne, Distin (Hamann 28), Jordan, Vassell, Jihai, Johnson, Ireland, Beasley (Samaras 81), Mpenza.

Subs Not Used: Weaver, Dickov, Laird.

Booked: Vassell.

Goals: Mpenza 40.

All in all a decent season for my beloved Spurs!

Hopefully we can make top 4 and win the UEFA cup in 2008, but we need a left winger and a fit Ledley to even think about it !

COYS!

By some miracle we made it to 5th Place again. Bloody great! :D

Personally, I can’t help feeling there was a lot of luck that enabled us top reach that elevated position. There were quiet a few games we won, which by rights we probably should have lost. If luck had gone against us, we could have easily ended up 8th and out of Europe.

Last year, it was the opposite – we threw away a lot of games we should have won, and there is no doubt that we should have ended up 4th.

Earlier in the season, I bemoaned the managerial skills of Martin Jol, and was subsequently forced to eat my words as he put a series of wins together that took us a long way in Europe and in The FA cup – and ultimately to 5th Place.

I suppose I should eat humble pie, and say ‘Well done, Jol’. But I won’t.

One of the pundits on ESPN feels that Jol has taken Spurs as far as he can, and we now need a more inspirational manager if we’re ever going to break into the top 4 and get some more silverware.

I agree. I think Jol lucked out this season and may well take us backwards next year – despite having an excellent squad at his disposal.

I know I’m being controversial, but it’s good to have a nice, intelligent debate. :D

What say you Spurs supporters out there? :o

Mobi

(50 years plus, long suffering, supporter…..)

Personally, I can't help feeling there was a lot of luck that enabled us top reach that elevated position. There were quiet a few games we won, which by rights we probably should have lost. If luck had gone against us, we could have easily ended up 8th and out of Europe.

Last year, it was the opposite – we threw away a lot of games we should have won, and there is no doubt that we should have ended up 4th.

Earlier in the season, I bemoaned the managerial skills of Martin Jol, and was subsequently forced to eat my words as he put a series of wins together that took us a long way in Europe and in The FA cup – and ultimately to 5th Place.

I suppose I should eat humble pie, and say 'Well done, Jol'. But I won't.

One of the pundits on ESPN feels that Jol has taken Spurs as far as he can, and we now need a more inspirational manager if we're ever going to break into the top 4 and get some more silverware.

I agree. I think Jol lucked out this season and may well take us backwards next year – despite having an excellent squad at his disposal.

I know I'm being controversial, but it's good to have a nice, intelligent debate. :D

Mobi

sawadee cap Mobi , although I'm not a spurs supporter ( Liverpool 'till I die !! :D ) , I wouldnt mind saying a few things about spurs.

Without doubt , they have one of the most talented squads in the prem and the front quartet of Berbatov , Keane , Defoe and Mido is arguably the best in the prem.

Were I think spurs are struggling is at the back and have been for a long time ( bring back Mabbutt !! ) and Martin Jol has had plenty of time to see that.

It's all down to the summer , if Jol can some how hang on to Berbatov and spend wisely ( Rocha ?? ) by bringing in a world class centre back and a couple of full backs , then he should be given 'till christmas to see how the team fares. If spurs are'nt doing that well then I reckon it's bye bye Jol and time for spurs to bring in a top continental coach.

sawadee cap Mobi , although I'm not a spurs supporter ( Liverpool 'till I die !! :D ) , I wouldnt mind saying a few things about spurs.

Without doubt , they have one of the most talented squads in the prem and the front quartet of Berbatov , Keane , Defoe and Mido is arguably the best in the prem.

Were I think spurs are struggling is at the back and have been for a long time ( bring back Mabbutt !! ) and Martin Jol has had plenty of time to see that.

It's all down to the summer , if Jol can some how hang on to Berbatov and spend wisely ( Rocha ?? ) by bringing in a world class centre back and a couple of full backs , then he should be given 'till christmas to see how the team fares. If spurs are'nt doing that well then I reckon it's bye bye Jol and time for spurs to bring in a top continental coach.

Sawasdi Krap to you too scousemouse :o

To return the compliment, I have been a bit of a closet Liverpool supported since the 60's, although I wasn't too keen on the Dalgleish era - a bit too dour for my liking - (to say nothing of Souness) - but a great admirer of Shankly and the like, and I'm quite fond of dear Raffa. I'll be rooting for them next week.

I suspect you've probably got it about right about Spurs. No manager who achieves 5th in the EPL is going to get the push, but woe betide Jol if we aren't way up there come Christmas.

Sawasdi Krap to you too scousemouse :o

To return the compliment, I have been a bit of a closet Liverpool supported since the 60's, although I wasn't too keen on the Dalgleish era - a bit too dour for my liking - (to say nothing of Souness) - but a great admirer of Shankly and the like, and I'm quite fond of dear Raffa. I'll be rooting for them next week.

I suspect you've probably got it about right about Spurs. No manager who achieves 5th in the EPL is going to get the push, but woe betide Jol if we aren't way up there come Christmas.

So you'll be rooting for the right team on wednesday then Mobi :D:D ,cheers for that , BTW , I do hope spurs keep hold of Berbatov !!.

Personally, I can’t help feeling there was a lot of luck that enabled us top reach that elevated position. There were quiet a few games we won, which by rights we probably should have lost. If luck had gone against us, we could have easily ended up 8th and out of Europe.

One of the pundits on ESPN feels that Jol has taken Spurs as far as he can, and we now need a more inspirational manager if we’re ever going to break into the top 4 and get some more silverware.

I know I’m being controversial, but it’s good to have a nice, intelligent debate. :D

What say you Spurs supporters out there? :D

Mobi

On the contrary. I feel more positive now that in any close season for 17-odd years. One should think about how you would feel after successive 5th places, with good domestic and Euro cup runs to boot, during past regimes (Hoddle/Graham/Gross etc.) Yes, it would have been a fantasy, but now it is reality. Even the dour Alan Hanson said on the final premiership MOTD of the season, that Spurs were the only club able to break into the top four next season...

Myself, I think third or fourth a year from now... :o

A PLAYERS PLAYER

Chris Hughton summed up Dimitar Berbatov's impact in his debut season by describing him as a player fellow professionals admire.

Snapped up from Bayer Leverkusen last summer, the Bulgarian hitman scored 23 goals in all competitions in his first campaign at the Lane, including 12 in the Premiership.

That haul included seven in our run to the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup – just one off the Club record of eight in a single European campaign held by Martin Chivers (1971-2 and 72-3) and Martin Peters (73-4).

In April, he was one of only three non-Manchester United players to make it into the PFA (Professional Footballers Association) Premiership Team of the Season.

He was then named Player of the Year, 2006-07, by our Club Members and this week, his goal at Charlton on May 7 was voted Goal of the Season by fans on our official website.

“What more can you say about Berba?” smiled coach Chris at Spurs Lodge. “Whenever you bring a player in, even though you might regard him as a good player, you are never quite sure how well he'll do.

“Berba has just got better and better as the season has gone on.

“He's a different type of player than I've seen here. He has such an awareness around him, physically he's quite strong and when he wants to keep the ball, he can keep it.

“He is a player that fellow players admire. It was his first season and he deserves the accolades he's been given – now we're all looking forward to next season.”

• 2 weeks later...

Tottenham deal sweet for Sugar

By David Bond

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy strengthened his grip on White Hart Lane yesterday by agreeing a deal to buy Sir Alan Sugar's 12 per cent stake in the north London club for £25 million.

In a surprise move, Sugar, star of the BBC1 show The Apprentice, decided to cash in on the surging value of Tottenham shares which have soared in recent months on the back of persistent takeover speculation.

Levy's ENIC International will pay Sugar's holding company, Amshold, 113.6 pence a share to take his stake in Tottenham from 54 per cent to 66 per cent.

Although ENIC owned more than 29.9 per cent before yesterday's deal with Sugar, Levy and Spurs had agreed a waiver with the Takeovers Panel which prevented ENIC from making a full bid for the company, as is required by company law.

In raising their holding in the club to such a high level, however, ENIC must now make the same offer made to Sugar to all shareholders. That values the club at £210 million, slightly less than the amount paid by American businessmen Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jnr to buy Liverpool.

But Tottenham sources indicated that it was unlikely that a significant number of shareholders would take up ENIC's offer. The only other significant shareholder is Polys Haji-Ioannou, brother of Stelios Haji-Ioannou, the founder of easyJet, who has a nine per cent stake in the club.

Sugar's decision to sell up marks the end of an era at White Hart Lane. The 60-year-old first bought into Tottenham in 1991 when he acquired 42 per cent of the club as part of a takeover deal with Terry Venables. He became chairman and one of the most influential figures in the game. His relationship with Sky owner Rupert Murdoch played a major part in the formation of the Premier League in 1992 but he fell out with Venables later, sparking a bitter legal dispute.

Despite winning that, Sugar became increasingly disillusioned with the way football was run. In February 2001, he sold 27 per cent to Levy for £21 million. His new deal with Levy has guaranteed him a profit of £38 million, not bad for a club he once described as "a complete waste of time".

A spokesman for Sugar refused to comment last night when asked why he had decided to sell now. But it looks like the millionaire computer and electronics tycoon simply decided to offload his shares at a time when the market is at an all-time high. In the last six months shares in Tottenham have risen by a staggering 89 per cent. In the last month alone they have gone up by 14 per cent.

But Levy's motives for buying Sugar's stake are less clear. In a statement issued to the Stock Market yesterday, ENIC International reiterated their long-term commitment to Tottenham. However, some City sources suggested that Levy was consolidating his position at the club before selling out to a new owner.

The club have been the subject of takeover talk for months, though Tottenham and ENIC have repeatedly insisted that they have received no approach and that Levy does not want to sell and wants to guide the club into the Champions League.

"Tottenham Hotspur has made significant progress in the six years since the ENIC Group first became a shareholder and we believe its future prospects are encouraging," said ENIC in a statement.

The key to Levy's strategy seems to be the plans for the future of White Hart Lane. His advisers believe that once a ground strategy is developed - a report is due early in the new year - ENIC might be able to sell the club for double the present market price.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm expecting a top 6 , we have the quality now to do even better than that, but these things take time.

Welcome to the Football forum mate !

ps I deleted a post after yours from some knob called Big Blue.

The Berk doesn't realise that this forum is moderated by a Spurs fan..... :D

Typical Chelski fan , no brains and a big gob...... :o

read the spurs thread with much interest. Im a newbie to Thaivisa but an avid Spurs supporter and will be joining in from now on. I cant beat 1954. My first match at the Lane was 1958 and been following them ever since. I remember the glory days and have a feeling they are just around the corner again. How often have we said that and been dissappointed. Still the two new signings sound promising and we are in europe for the second year running. When did that last happen. My best mate is a blue. We call him two bums cause he sits on one and talks out the other

• 2 weeks later...

Tottenham have confirmed the signing of Darren Bent from Charlton in a £16.5 million deal.

The striker has agreed a deal of "up to six years", according to the club's announcement on the Stock Exchange and the transfer fee will be paid over the next three years in instalments.

Spurs complete Darren Bent signing

Record signing: Bent has become Spurs' most expensive player

It is understood the final £1m of the deal is performance-related and the fee for Bent, 23, comfortably beats the club record £11m paid for Sergei Rebrov.

Bent said: "Tottenham have a lot of young English players and it's a young squad, it's a squad going forward and that's the direction I wanted to take.

"They seem to be getting better and better every season and I would love to be part of that.

"It helps a lot that I know a few of the lads from England internationals and I'm sure they will help me settle in. It's exciting times for me and the club, hopefully I'll show what I can do at Tottenham and we'll go on to win things."

Tottenham have been favourites to sign the England striker since reportedly agreeing a deal in principle back in the January transfer window.

Their position became stronger recently when Bent turned down a lucrative move to London neighbours West Ham, who were willing to offer a £75,000-a-week salary as well as matching Charlton's £17m valuation.

Charlton chief executive Peter Varney said that the club could not have stopped Bent leaving after they were relegted.

"He's done a great job for us here and we wish him all the best," Varney said. "But being an England international he's keen to stay in the Premiership.That's the reality when you get relegated.

"I know fans will be disappointed but I think they are also realistic. We will strengthen the squad with the money we're getting."

Spurs sporting director Damien Comolli said: "The two signings we've completed so far in Darren and Gareth Bale offer us massive improvement in terms of the squad, players with great potential whose best days are in front of them."

The transfer to Tottenham represents a huge profit for Charlton on the £2.75m they paid Ipswich two years ago, and will give manager Alan Pardew some much-needed funds as he attempts to restructure his squad after relegation.

Ipswich will also benefit to the tune of £2.7m as a sell-on fee negotiated when the Cambridge-born player left Portman Road, where he made his name as a fast and prolific young striker. He took that form into the Premier League with 22 goals in his debut season and another 13 league goals last season, despite often playing as a lone striker as Charlton struggled.

Bent's impressive scoring record has helped him become one of the most sought-after players in English football this summer. Liverpool were also interested, but have now turned their attentions to Fernando Torres.

The move to Tottenham, who have finished fifth in the Premiership in the past two seasons and are in Europe again, could also enhance Bent's chances of finally earning regular international honours after a frustrating 18 months on the fringe of the England set-up.

Bent's arrival could spell the end of fellow England striker Jermain Defoe's career at Tottenham, with several Premiership clubs alerted.

West Ham and Portsmouth have both expressed an interest in the striker, who was signed for £7m in January 2004.

Tottenham have confirmed the signing of Darren Bent from Charlton in a £16.5 million deal.

The striker has agreed a deal of "up to six years", according to the club's announcement on the Stock Exchange and the transfer fee will be paid over the next three years in instalments.

Spurs complete Darren Bent signing

Record signing: Bent has become Spurs' most expensive player

It is understood the final £1m of the deal is performance-related and the fee for Bent, 23, comfortably beats the club record £11m paid for Sergei Rebrov.

Bent said: "Tottenham have a lot of young English players and it's a young squad, it's a squad going forward and that's the direction I wanted to take.

"They seem to be getting better and better every season and I would love to be part of that.

"It helps a lot that I know a few of the lads from England internationals and I'm sure they will help me settle in. It's exciting times for me and the club, hopefully I'll show what I can do at Tottenham and we'll go on to win things."

Tottenham have been favourites to sign the England striker since reportedly agreeing a deal in principle back in the January transfer window.

Their position became stronger recently when Bent turned down a lucrative move to London neighbours West Ham, who were willing to offer a £75,000-a-week salary as well as matching Charlton's £17m valuation.

Charlton chief executive Peter Varney said that the club could not have stopped Bent leaving after they were relegted.

"He's done a great job for us here and we wish him all the best," Varney said. "But being an England international he's keen to stay in the Premiership.That's the reality when you get relegated.

"I know fans will be disappointed but I think they are also realistic. We will strengthen the squad with the money we're getting."

Spurs sporting director Damien Comolli said: "The two signings we've completed so far in Darren and Gareth Bale offer us massive improvement in terms of the squad, players with great potential whose best days are in front of them."

The transfer to Tottenham represents a huge profit for Charlton on the £2.75m they paid Ipswich two years ago, and will give manager Alan Pardew some much-needed funds as he attempts to restructure his squad after relegation.

Ipswich will also benefit to the tune of £2.7m as a sell-on fee negotiated when the Cambridge-born player left Portman Road, where he made his name as a fast and prolific young striker. He took that form into the Premier League with 22 goals in his debut season and another 13 league goals last season, despite often playing as a lone striker as Charlton struggled.

Bent's impressive scoring record has helped him become one of the most sought-after players in English football this summer. Liverpool were also interested, but have now turned their attentions to Fernando Torres.

The move to Tottenham, who have finished fifth in the Premiership in the past two seasons and are in Europe again, could also enhance Bent's chances of finally earning regular international honours after a frustrating 18 months on the fringe of the England set-up.

Bent's arrival could spell the end of fellow England striker Jermain Defoe's career at Tottenham, with several Premiership clubs alerted.

West Ham and Portsmouth have both expressed an interest in the striker, who was signed for £7m in January 2004.

Is he worth the money?

Is he better than Defoe? Why are you spending the money on a striker when there are other- more urgent-gaps in your squad?, particularly in defence. At least Charlton, especially, and Ipswich should be able to buy a few players to get them up next year. Am I resentful-no :o

Is Bent worth 16.5m ?? Absolutely NOT!

Berbatov cost 10.9m, you do the maths!!!

English players transfer fees are ridiculous but for some reason Jolly Martin is a big fan of Bent and I have complete faith in MJ so we'll see what his plans are. Surely he hasn't signed a 16.5m substitute! I reckon we're looking at a diamond with Keano in behind Berbs and Bent.

I do feel a bit sorry for Mido, 2 seasons ago he was the main reason we finished 5th and if it wasn't for a dodgy Pizza at West Ham we'd have been in the CL. He is class, but MJ obviously doesn't rate him anymore.

We do however DESPERATELY need a world class central midfielder (didn't realise we'd miss Carrick THAT much!) as well as a left back and left winger.

Roll on the new season, despite no ESPN or Star Sports coverage!!!

Is Bent worth 16.5m ?? Absolutely NOT!

Berbatov cost 10.9m, you do the maths!!!

English players transfer fees are ridiculous but for some reason Jolly Martin is a big fan of Bent and I have complete faith in MJ so we'll see what his plans are. Surely he hasn't signed a 16.5m substitute! I reckon we're looking at a diamond with Keano in behind Berbs and Bent.

I do feel a bit sorry for Mido, 2 seasons ago he was the main reason we finished 5th and if it wasn't for a dodgy Pizza at West Ham we'd have been in the CL. He is class, but MJ obviously doesn't rate him anymore.

We do however DESPERATELY need a world class central midfielder (didn't realise we'd miss Carrick THAT much!) as well as a left back and left winger.

Roll on the new season, despite no ESPN or Star Sports coverage!!!

I have to agree that 16.5 M was far to much for Bent, i just hope they've noticed something we havn't. I think at his age of 23 and scoring 39 goals for Charlton in two seasons is the signs of a very good young player, i guess only time will tell, but any idears on who will play up front? it makes me think one of are better ones may be on the way out.

I totally agree with the left back spot and hopfully Bale will fill it, lets just hope we get a winger next.

Common you spurs!!!

Chris.

Spurs have signed £8m-rated France Under-21 defender Younes Kaboul from Auxerre. The arrival is set to take the club's expenditure to over £30m this summer following the signings of Gareth Bale and Darren Bent.

Jermain Defoe, a target for several Premiership clubs, wants to stay at White Hart Lane and compete with Bent, among others, for a starting place.

Daily Telegraph

Spurs have signed £8m-rated France Under-21 defender Younes Kaboul from Auxerre. The arrival is set to take the club's expenditure to over £30m this summer following the signings of Gareth Bale and Darren Bent.

Jermain Defoe, a target for several Premiership clubs, wants to stay at White Hart Lane and compete with Bent, among others, for a starting place.

Daily Telegraph

Nice to see you on the footy forum Mobi :o

Here I am again :o :

Tottenham

At boardroom level yesterday, ENIC made a compulsory offer for the remaining shares in Tottenham but taking 100 per cent control of the club appears unlikely.

Daily Telegraph

From other rumours over the last few months, I suspect ENIC are preparing to sell on to a foreign buyer, and cash in.

• 1 month later...

Well, here's what I posted back in May:

Mobi

Looks like I was right, and my suffering will continue for a while longer yet.......

There was an eerie inevitability about what has happened in Spurs' first two games, and I almost hope that we lose against Derby so that Jol will be forced to fall on his sword.

Mobi

Looks like I was right, and my suffering will continue for a while longer yet.......

There was an eerie inevitability about what has happened in Spurs' first two games, and I almost hope that we lose against Derby so that Jol will be forced to fall on his sword.

Mobi, I got slaughtered a couple of weeks ago for suggesting that Jol would be one of the first casualties this season. It's now starting to look like a distinct possibilty.

Whilst he may be popular and has assembled a good squad, in the end at boardroom level results are what counts, and those type of people do not normally have a lot of patience. He really needs a win this weekend or it could be curtains.

Mobi

Mobi, I got slaughtered a couple of weeks ago for suggesting that Jol would be one of the first casualties this season. It's now starting to look like a distinct possibilty.

Whilst he may be popular and has assembled a good squad, in the end at boardroom level results are what counts, and those type of people do not normally have a lot of patience. He really needs a win this weekend or it could be curtains.

Oh ye of little faith , early doors and we will win today....yawn..... :D

I'll keep knocking Jol. and Spurs can keep knocking them in :D

Any complaints with 4? :o

Look out for even more Mobi doom and gloom before we play Manu - it might do the trick :D

I'll keep knocking Jol. and Spurs can keep knocking them in :D

Any complaints with 4? :o

Look out for even more Mobi doom and gloom before we play Manu - it might do the trick :D

4 will do sir !

Keep it going Mobi !

:D

The word over here is that Jol is on his last legs!! :o

Spurs chiefs 'lose faith in Jol'

Tottenham boss Martin Jol's job remains under threat because he has lost the confidence of several top officials at the club, BBC Sport understands.

Sevilla coach Juande Ramos is in line to replace Jol, although the Spaniard's agent has denied links with Spurs.

BBC Radio 5live football correspondent Jonathan Legard says some officials are not sure Jol can deliver regular top-four Premier League finishes.

Spurs lost their first two matches this season but beat Derby 4-0 on Saturday.

On Monday, Ramos' agent Alvaro Torres denied there had been any talks with Tottenham, despite Spanish press reports claiming that the 52-year-old coach met with Spurs officials at the weekend.

Both clubs said Ramos' appearance at a Spanish hotel was a private matter and Torres said the meeting was with a friend and had "nothing to do with football".

Italy's World Cup-winning coach Marcello Lippi and Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp have also been linked to the post at White Hart Lane.

Jol came under pressure after the two losses - to Sunderland and Everton - in the first four days of the season following a £40m summer outlay on players.

On Friday, one bookmaker suspended betting on Jol's departure but Spurs have insisted they are not negotiating for a new manager.

Some fans also believe it is too soon to make a decision on Jol's future after only three Premier League matches.

Daniel Wynne of the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust confirmed: "It's far too early to see how the season will go.

"Jol has taken us to fifth twice, which is better than any other manager, and has been backed in the summer with his signings."

Ramos has a contract with Sevilla until 2008 and was linked with the vacant post at Manchester City before Sven-Goran Eriksson was appointed at Eastlands.

Club update

The Club is aware that there has been much speculation over the past few days in respect of our Manager, Martin Jol. As you know, the Club does not respond to speculation, but we do feel in this instance it is important to clarify the current position. Manager Martin Jol and Assistant Manager, Chris Hughton met with the Chairman, Sporting Director Damien Comolli and members of the Board today – discussions were held re-confirming our aims for the season, the development of the full potential of the squad and taking the Club forward.

“We have had two good, progressive seasons with fifth place finishes. I am an ambitious Chairman, we are an ambitious Club and we want Champions League football at White Hart Lane,” commented Chairman, Daniel Levy. “We, the Board, owe it to the Club and the supporters to constantly assess our position and performance and to ensure that we have the ability to operate and compete at that level. We have made a massive investment in the squad and as a result we have the best squad of players this Club has had for over 20 years and they are equally hungry for success and silverware. For that we need our management and coaching standards to be of the highest quality such that players can fulfil their potential and we can compete with the best. We have discussed all of these expectations with Martin and he has confirmed to me today that he feels he is equipped with a squad and a determination to take on that challenge.”

Martin added: “We had a full and frank conversation and I fully understand the ambitions of the Club – they are the same as those of the supporters. He has put a lot of hard work into this Club and with the squad of players we have assembled, it is realistic that we should look to challenge for a top four position and I have assured him and the Board that that is what I shall aim for.

“The last two seasons we have finished fifth and this season we start with an even better team. So we should be optimistic. Yes, it is pressure to deliver, but that is what we managers should expect. Hopefully all the media will relax now – all I shall be concentrating on is each and every game.”

Ramos 'snubbed huge Spurs offer' from the bbc

Ramos (left) got the better of Jol in last season's Uefa Cup

Sevilla coach Juande Ramos says he rejected a "dizzying" offer to take over from Martin Jol at Tottenham.

Jol's future as manager was in doubt after Spurs lost their first two games of the season before beating Derby.

"They made an excellent, dizzying offer, but I'm under contract and my decision is to fulfil it," said Ramos.

But Spurs have denied making any offer and said: "No individual was or has been offered the position while that position has been held by Martin Jol."

Spurs were reported to have met the Ramos camp over the weekend before telling Jol his job was safe providing he delivered Champions League football.

"There was not the slightest possibility that I would accept it because I'm under contract. It did not interest me or the club," added Ramos.

"I wasn't in a meeting with anyone, what happened was that I met with a person and that person went on to meet other people who were surely Tottenham."

Ramos is regarded as one of the most promising coaches in European football after guiding Sevilla to back-to-back Uefa Cups.

Sevilla beat Spurs on the way to their success in last season's Uefa Cup, while Ramos also led his side to third in La Liga and victory in the Copa del Rey - Spain's top domestic cup competition.

The Andalucian club are now primed to qualify for the group stages of this season's Champions League after a 2-0 win over AEK Athens in the first leg of their third round qualifier.

Ramos has already won the club's first trophy of this season after a 6-3 win on aggregate over league champions Real Madrid.

He said: "We are in the middle of a great project with Sevilla and there is still work to do."

Meanwhile, Jol, 51, has led Spurs to fifth place in the Premier League in the past two campaigns, while going out in the last eight in the FA Cup to Chelsea and Sevilla in the Uefa Cup last season.

BBC Radio 5live football correspondent Jonathan Legard said: "It would seem to confirm his worst fears that he is living on borrowed time as Spurs manager, as if he didn't know that, after last night's board meeting."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived