Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Well..

Dissapointing against Liverpool, unlucky to not get a point though. Didn't see the Pompy game as flying to Isaan today 6 bloody am.

A look at the table and other results give cause for encouragement. We maintained league position, with the main Euro place rivals all slipping up..

Cardiff in the cup Sunday. Guess the boys could do with a distraction... :o

• Replies 31.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 points out of 12 was not good, but as you say we are still 7th and with plenty of games to go, its not too bad

But pleased with our overall performance vs Pompey and i feel on chances we should have taken all 3 points,

James made some blinding saves, his hair is :o

Looking forward to the Valleys (A) i feel we will get the draw and win back at the Lane

Happy New Year

Is the Cardiff game on telly tonight?

Not tonight....sunday on star..4 o'clock there-10 o'clock here

And by the way, you have no chance in hel_l...

There isn't a '1' in the year :D

Watch this space John.................... :o

Is the Cardiff game on telly tonight?

Not tonight....sunday on star..4 o'clock there-10 o'clock here

And by the way, you have no chance in hel_l...

There isn't a '1' in the year :D

Wrong on both counts - the game is at 11pm our time and.....

Using the Cormyr Reckoning calendar from the Calendars in the Forgotten Realms, the year is actually 1351, which actually has two "1's" in it! :o

Perhaps we are on for the double!!! :D

Check for yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendars_in_...orgotten_Realms

Twas a game lacking of skill and expertise and if there was any enterprise then it was from us,

For sure we will get stuffed in the replay, but at least we put you through the ringer.

A good game in good spirit, and a record crowd,,,,says a lot for the fans english and welsh :o

Twas a game lacking of skill and expertise and if there was any enterprise then it was from us,

For sure we will get stuffed in the replay, but at least we put you through the ringer.

A good game in good spirit, and a record crowd,,,,says a lot for the fans english and welsh :o

Terrible conditions but both sides gave a gritty performance.

Both sides have got a good 4th round draw should they progress.

Spurs v The lot you can't understand that well, apart from the occasional 'away tha lads'...

Tottenham skipper Ledley King (foot) remains on the sidelines and Jermaine Jenas is 10 days away from returning.

Robbie Keane and Aaron Lennon are in the squad but Mido (groin) is doubtful and Paul Stalteri (hip) is out.

Newcastle will have captain Scott Parker available after suspension and Emre (groin) could also return.

Nicky Butt (virus) is a doubt but keeper Steve Harper is set to be on the bench for the first time since undergoing hernia surgery.

Tottenham (from): Robinson. Cerny, Alnwick, Chimbonda, Lee, Davenport, Dawson, Gardner, Assou-Ekotto, Zokora, Davids, Tainio, Lennon, Keane, Berbatov, Defoe, Murphy, Ghaly, Malbranque, Huddlestone, Ziegler.

Newcastle (from): Given, Harper, Solano, Edgar, Taylor, Huntington, Parker, Butt, Emre, Milner, Pattison, Troisi, Gate, Martins, Dyer, Sibierski, Luque, Carroll, LuaLua.

Tottenham manager Martin Jol sees the next three weeks as a stern test of the strength of his squad - but knows it is the price to pay for success:

"The only thing I'm happy about is that we're playing all these games, because it means we are doing well and are in all the competitions.

"It's ideal because that's what we wanted at the start of the season."

BIG-MATCH FACTS:

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR against Newcastle pits a club just outside the top six against one just above the bottom six. It brings together two clubs held away from home by Championship clubs in the FA Cup last weekend, and who've both drawn their last two matches in League and Cup.

Spurs have picked up 78% of their League points at home. They've gained 18 more points at home than they have on the road - only Liverpool match that. The Londoners are hoping to register a ninth win of the season at White Hart Lane, two days before manager Martin Jol's 51st birthday.

Spurs are pursuing a fourth successive home Premiership win over Newcastle, but have lost their last two games against them - both by 3-1 margins at St James' Park.

NEWCASTLE UNITED have rallied under Glenn Roeder after an unimpressive opening to the season and are now on the same mark as they have been for each of the past two seasons - 26 points after 22 matches.

They travel to north London on a run of three successive away Premiership defeats, and as the most wasteful side in the division, having dropped 15 points from matches in which they were leading.

The Magpies have not won a match since beating Spurs 3-1 on the Saturday before Christmas on Tyneside. They are hoping to complete a third Premiership double over Spurs and the first since the 2002-03 season.

Off to Xtra Time in PP now to see the game.. :o

Just read a report on Sky Sports, that Feyenoord who were to be Spurs opponents in the next round of the UEFA cup, have been kicked out of the competition, due to the continuous bad behaviour of their fans.

It means that Spurs will either get a bye into the next round or have to play Widzew Lodz who were the 4th place team in qualifying.!!!

Biggest game if the season for Spurs tonight [ IMHO ]

Jol demands Tottenham silverware

Jol has yet to get the better of Wenger in a north London derby

Martin Jol has challenged Tottenham to go all the way in the Carling Cup and prove their worth with silverware.

Spurs host Arsenal in the semi-final and the manager does not want his squad to have any regrets after the two legs.

"They all want to play here in occasions like this. Are you potential winners or are you average? That is what we have to find out.

"Winning honours is the only thing for my team. What do we want? To be potential winners?" asked the Dutchman.

"All the players want to play for Spurs and now it's up to them to be potential winners of trophies.

"It is the only thing in football. The only thing I'm really proud of is that I was coach of the year, player of the year and won the cup in Holland as a player and a coach.

"That is the only thing you think about because what else is there.

"So my players have to win something in their careers otherwise you are sitting there in 35 or 40 years and there is nothing to come up with. The medals are not important, it's the memories of the achievements that are important."

We are in a job where only quality decides whether you play or not

Arsene Wenger, Arsenal boss

"It's our dream, it's our biggest ambition to win something and we're in a great position."

George Graham, who managed both clubs to glory in the League Cup, expects a "close call" at White Hart Lane in the first leg.

"Tottenham will be desperate for a trophy," he told BBC Radio Five Live.

"The last thing they won was this competition with me eight years ago and they want to get the club back on a winning track again.

"Arsenal will play with the majority of their squad players, although they're as good as the majority of the Premiership."

The Gunners saw off Liverpool 6-3 at Anfield in the quarter-finals with a shadow XI and manager Arsene Wenger inisists he will not change his stance in picking a reserve team for this north London derby.

HEAD-TO-HEAD

Last five meetings:

Arsenal 3-0 Spurs (Dec 06)

Arsenal 1-1 Spurs (Apr 06)

Spurs 1-1 Arsenal (Oct 05)

Arsenal 1-0 Spurs (Apr 05)

Spurs 4-5 Arsenal (Nov 04)

Tottenham last beat Arsenal in November 1999 - 2-1 at home

That is a run of 15 matches, but Spurs have lost just one of their six home fixtures in that time, drawing the other five

He said: "They deserve it. They have earned the right.

"It is very difficult to say 'Listen you are good enough to play at Liverpool, but you are not good enough to play at Tottenham'."

And Wenger is confident his young Gunners have enough ability to beat Spurs in the two-legged semi-final: "We are in a job where only quality decides whether you play or not.

"It is not how old you are, what you did before. Just on the day you have to turn up and show how good you are."

Arsenal are set to give Abou Diaby a first start of the season after injury and Wenger is delighted to see the midfielder back in action.

"I had a big doubt in my mind that he would come back," he added.

"I feel we missed him because he gives you something that the other players do not have - that kind of Patrick Vieira presence in the physical challenges.

"They are not similar sorts of players at all really - but in the style of run and behaviour and especially in the strength of the challenges he reminds me of Patrick.

"After that he is a different type of player.

Their second team is probably as strong as any other Premiership side outside of the top four

Martin Jol, Spurs manager

"Patrick at the start was more of a tackler and defensive player, but then I suppose it is strange since Diaby has come back from injury he is going into that kind of role.

"Before he was only interested in attacking. Now he uses his strength in the challenges."

Despite the presence of the likes of Diaby and a host of fellow fringe players in the visiting line-up, Jol refuses to be fooled into thinking Spurs have an easy passage into the final against Chelsea.

"Their second team, or kids, or reserves, is probably as strong as any other Premiership side outside of the top four," he added.

"Julio Baptista was transferred for 20m Euros last year. We haven't seen much of him but then he scored four goals at Anfield.

"You can go on about a kids' team all you like but they have player with lesser teams than this and won matches in the Carling Cup. This is definitely not just a kids' team.

"How many teams are there in England like Arsenal who can take a gamble and say 'okay, we don't play our best players and we still have a great chance of going for the Champions League and title'?

"We are not in the position to lend our players out and do well. The only changes I can make are up front or in positions where I have two good players, like in left-back."

COYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why oh why did we take our foot of the gas in the 2nd half , we let them play , and play they did, gutted

The game was on Channel 7 and i hope the 2nd leg is too, with Eng commentry

Lets get the sea siders out the way and its time we beat em at there place, cant do any worse than last time we were there!!

Fingers crossed

COYS

Some songs noted by Moi at the weekned....................................

Pikeys, give us a song

Wheres your caravan

Go back , to your council flat, go back..................

Whos the pikey in my seat ( as season ticket holders were moved due to 5000 SUFC in the Park Lane)

Bring on the Fulham

• 2 weeks later...

I caught the back end of an item on Spurs on ESPN yesterday in which they basically confirmed what I have been thinking for some time: Spurs have some good players, and they’ve had a reasonable cash kitty, but it’s all going badly wrong. There’s just no soul in the team, and they don’t fight hard enough when things start top go wrong; and although Martin Jol started off brightly, our Dutch Manager is getting closer to the chop with every passing match.

Even last season, when we appeared to be doing well, I felt that we had a lot of lucky, close wins, and we also gave a way a lot of points at the end of games and in extra time, because we just didn’t want it bad enough.

This season the luck has deserted us, and it is very clear to me that the manager is not inspiring the players, and they, in turn, lack passion and motivation.

O.K, Jol may be a laid back, ‘honest’ character, but to me he completely lacks the inspirational zeal that is required to drive Spurs to the top of the extremely competitive league where there’s so much money at stake. Good managers have to be a bit special and we need more than just a competent coach, who gets on well with his players, and gives an honest appraisal of why we keep losing.

I hope I’m wrong, but I’ve been feeling all this for a long time and now ESPN come along and say pretty much what I was thinking.

I fear the worst against Fulham.

Any thoughts out there?

Any thoughts out there?

Fulham didn't worry me , it's their neighbours in the QF that have done that :o

I'm glad your worried Chonabot, this is pay back time for the defeat at 3 point lane!! come on my blue boys!! :D

Any thoughts out there?

Fulham didn't worry me , it's their neighbours in the QF that have done that :D

I'm glad your worried Chonabot, this is pay back time for the defeat at 3 point lane!! come on my blue boys!! :D

Should be a cracker....... :o

Everton 1-2 Tottenham

Dimitar Berbatov celebrates his opener with Robbie Keane

Jermaine Jenas struck a minute from time to give Spurs their first Premiership away win since 17 December and dent Everton's European ambitions.

Dimitar Berbatov's cool finish from Aaron Lennon's cross 10 minutes before half-time gave Spurs a deserved lead.

Mikel Arteta levelled in controversial fashion after 42 minutes, scoring from a free-kick that had originally been awarded to Spurs.

But Spurs' greater threat brought the winner from Jenas in the dying seconds.

Everton were without Andrew Johnson, who was ruled out with a knee injury, while Spurs paired FA Cup heroes Berbatov and Robbie Keane up front.

Spurs had the better of the early exchanges, with Victor Anichebe and the recalled James Beattie ineffective.

Everton captain Phil Neville was booked for a foul on Berbatov after 16 minutes, and Pascal Chimbonda almost opened the scoring when he headed Jenas' resulting free-kick into the side-netting.

Leon Osman, back after suspension, brought a fine save from Paul Robinson with a low drive - but it was Spurs who went ahead after 35 minutes.

Osman conceded possession in midfield, and Lennon raced clear to find Berbatov at the far post, who swept an impressive finish high past Tim Howard.

Everton equalised in highly-debatable circumstances three minutes before half-time, with referee Uriah Rennie a central figure.

Rennie's assistant clearly flagged for a foul by Anichebe on Dawson - but the official not only booked the Spurs defender, he then awarded a free-kick despite lengthy consultation with the linesman.

Almost inevitably, Arteta stepped up and curled a brilliant free-kick away from Robinson.

Everton, who had posed little threat, made a half-time change, with Gary Naysmith replacing Anichebe.

Robinson was in action after 51 minutes to deny Osman again as Everton looked to put Spurs under more pressure.

Berbatov was a languid but dangerous figure, and he brought a good save out of Howard as the game finally showed signs of life.

The Bulgarian was easily the most dangerous attacker on show, and he curled another shot narrowly off target with 10 minutes left.

Keane should have done better seconds later when he raced clear, but he blazed wastefully over the bar.

Everton boss David Moyes felt the full fury of Goodison Park with five minutes to go with a substitution that was greeted by a huge chorus of jeering - replacing impressive midfield man Manuel Fernandes with defender Tony Hibbert.

It was a negative move given that the game was still in the balance, and the home crowd made their feelings clear.

And matters were made worse for Moyes and Everton when Jenas curled a fine finish past Howard - sparking a furious reaction from the crowd.

Moyes was the target for further criticism when he then took off substitute Naysmith and belatedly threw on young striker James Vaughan - all to no avail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everton manager David Moyes:

"We didn't play well in the first half. Spurs were much better. We found it difficult to get close to them.

"We got back into it in with a great free-kick from Mikel Arteta and we improved in the second half.

"We set out with two boys up front but we didn't cause them enough problems."

Spurs manager Martin Jol:

"It is never easy to come to Everton and get a result, but we are back in business.

"Hopefully things can only get better for us. We are in the Uefa Cup and FA Cup and going up the league.

"I thought it was a great win. We had a break before the Fulham game and we looked good against Fulham and fresh again here.

"You could see we were going for the win in the last 10 minutes, and it was a great goal from Jermaine Jenas, who had fresh legs as well."

Source - BBC website

• 2 weeks later...

West Ham 3-4 Tottenham

By Paul Fletcher

Stalteri struck deep into injury-time

Tottenham's Paul Stalteri scored a dramatic injury-time winner as the visitors came from 2-0 and 3-2 down to deepen West Ham's relegation worries.

A Mark Noble strike and a Carlos Tevez free-kick put West Ham in control before Jermain Defoe scored a penalty after Lee Bowyer fouled Aaron Lennon.

Teemu Tainio volleyed Spurs level from Lennon's audacious flick before West Ham's Bobby Zamora headed in late on.

But Dimitar Berbatov scored a free-kick before Stalteri struck on the break.

Interview: West Ham boss Alan Curbishly

Interview: Spurs manager Martin Jol

Interview: West Ham defender Lucas Neill

It was a dramatic and cruel end to the game for West Ham - who looked to be on the verge of their first Premiership win in 11 games when substitute Zamora headed home Tevez's free-kick in the 85th minute.

606 DEBATE: Give your thoughts on the match

What do you think? Rate the players

Victory would have moved bottom club West Ham above Watford and to within seven points of fourth-from-bottom Wigan.

But their failure to consolidate on their 2-0 half-time lead means they have not won in the Premiership since 17 December and are looking increasing certainties for relegation.

Curbishley responded to last week's disastrous 4-0 defeat at Charlton by making five changes, including the return to the side of January signings Matthew Upson and Lucas Neill, who skippered the team.

And the Hammers made a positive start, with Tevez constantly prodding and probing the Tottenham defence.

Noble forced an early save from Robinson, with a crisp strike, and, after 16 minutes, opened the scoring with a shot that went through the legs of Michael Dawson.

Tevez played his part in the goal, superbly guiding a Paul Konchesky cross into Noble's path with his chest.

But Upson limped off after 11 minutes and West Ham keeper Robert Green made a series of superb early saves as Tottenham showed their cutting edge.

Green twice denied Berbatov in the space of a minute and, shortly after West Ham scored, made a brilliant double save.

Tevez had a superb match for West Ham

The keeper parried at full stretch after Lee Bowyer diverted the ball towards his own net and then saved from Berbatov with the rebound.

Tevez was fouled by Dawson for the free-kick that he converted to extend West Ham's lead.

His floated strike went in off the crossbar close to the centre of the goal - a strike that Robinson might feel he ought to have saved.

The Argentine celebrated with a spontaneous show of joy, ripping off his shirt and jumping in the crowd - and he was engulfed amid the fans for some time.

Tottenham brought on Tom Huddlestone at the break and it was his pass that set Lennon free five minutes after the restart.

Bowyer fouled Lennon and Defoe - playing against his old club - converted from the spot with a low strike.

The momentum was with Tottenham - and their equaliser was simply superb.

Lennon guided Berbatov's cross into the path of Tainio, with a sublime backheel on the volley, and the Spurs substitute made no mistake from 10 yards.

The game lost its shape at 2-2 but Zamora's header sparked the dramatic late finish.

Berbatov struck after 89 minutes and Stalteri scored four minutes into injury time after Green had parried Defoe's shot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

West Ham: Green, Neill, Upson (Davenport 11), Ferdinand, Konchesky, Bowyer, Noble, Quashie (Blanco 80), Etherington (Zamora 83), Tevez, Harewood.

Subs Not Used: Walker, Spector.

Booked: Noble, Tevez, Bowyer, Neill, Konchesky, Quashie.

Goals: Noble 16, Tevez 41, Zamora 85.

Tottenham: Robinson, Chimbonda (Taarabt 87), Dawson, Gardner, Young-Pyo Lee, Lennon, Jenas (Stalteri 57), Tainio, Ghaly (Huddlestone 46), Defoe, Berbatov.

Subs Not Used: Cerny, Rocha.

Booked: Chimbonda.

Goals: Defoe 51 pen, Tainio 63, Berbatov 89, Stalteri 90.

Att: 34,966

Ref: M Dean (Wirral).

Nice one ! 2 UEFA matches and a FA QF against Chelski all in the next 2 weeks !

COYS!

I'm glad I didn't watch it. Might have given me heart failure.

Obviously Jol reads Thai Visa. Ever since I wrote my 'doom & gloom' piece, he has been turning things around nicely.

Come on Spurs and Jol - make me eat my words :o

Archived