Dual track railway between Prachuap Khiri Khan and Chumpon to be completed in 2017

webfact

Dual track railway between Prajuab Khiri Khan and Chumpon to be completed in 2017

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN, 28 January 2015 (NNT)-The Ministry of Transport has said the dual track railway linking Hua Hin district and Chumpon province will be completed in 2 years.

According to Transport Permanent Secretary, Soitip Traisut, the planned construction of the railway has already been approved by EIA, which indicates that it will have little impact on the environment.

However, the Ministry will have to seek approvals from the Office of National Environment Board and the Cabinet before the auction of construction contract can take place.

The construction is expected to begin as early as June if the contractor can be named in March.

Although details of the 90-kilometer long dual-track railway between Hua Hin district and the city area of Prajuab Khiri Khan are still being collected, the construction will be completed no later than 2017, Mrs. Soitip said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-28 footer_n.gif

Aye, narrow gauge is not the way to go but I'll bet that is what they are going to do. AND with (at least) two more govt bodies to get approval from and a contractor to be named I'm thinking that 2017 is going to be about 3 to 5 or more years away.

Chumpon is mentioned in the headline but that is not within the article?

Cheers!

I do wish well for the Chinese built rail as it will benefit Thailand and there can be no doubt that the Thai railroad needs serious rebuilding. But, I am also very happy to learn that Japan may well be the builder of the Bangkok to Chiang Mai rail.

• Like 1

Dual track is good BUT is this going to be 1.435 meters as all the NEW RR projects are? Other wise its a waste of money.

If it is built in the standard gauge what can run on it??

also if the guages are different doesnt that defeat the purpose of doubletrack?

We don't have information about the gauge, but of course it would be so sensible to make it standard gauge, and then the new trains from China could run on it.

And let's face it, the old trains are so crappy they need to be retired asap.

And because it would be so sensible, it will happen . . .

Actually what they need to do is build the two gauges in the same track - one rail on one side and two rails on the other side. There is room to do this given the dimensions. 1 metre vs 1.435 metres.