Suvarnabhumi van-taxis threaten to stop service

webfact

Suvarnabhumi van-taxis threaten to stop service
By Coconuts Bangkok

lu.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The transportation revolt continues with drivers of van-taxis at Suvarnabhumi Airport threatening to stop service if officials do not increase the surcharge.

At a training session for airport taxi drivers yesterday, about 100 drivers demanded the airport surcharge be raised from THB50 to THB100 for their larger, 2,000cc vehicles which require more fuel.

The taxi drivers also repeated last week’s demand they be allowed to collect baggage charges of THB30 to THB80 per bag, depending on how many passengers carry.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/28/suvarnabhumi-van-taxis-threaten-stop-service

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-28

Situations like this arise by the mis-management and cosy arrangements over the years then when it gets out of hand the authorities don't know how to handle it. if tough action needs to be taken they don't have what it takes to get on with it.

Then the US Embassy should send someone to visit and talk to the threatening parties.

Doesn't matter whether I'm off to Bangkok or Pattaya, I stuck two fingers up to these taxi drivers a long time ago...BTS and buses are good enough for me and better than them...I'm a light traveler but if you happen to have too many bags for that then there are quite a few taxi services that people book in advance and often mention on these forums....use them

Edited by paddyjenkins
  • Like 2

What a greedy lot... just got a raise in fares and now they are gunning for more,

the other day I took a taxi from Thonglor to the main airport and the meter was 240

baht, where before the raise it use to cost 205 baht, this is nearly 20 % up on

the old fare under the same road conditions... what's up with that? and now they want

more??

• Like 2

Large vehicles set rate 700THB airport to BKK, I've never had them turn on the meter, we have asked / refused but still they have never budged.

Things are not so straight forward when you are travelling as a family of four with luggage.

Last time we did take two taxi's splitting the family and luggage between the vehicles.

Its easy for many to say sod off, but your average tourist relies on the taxi's getting to and from BKK etc....

I see a taxi strike and road blockage coming shortly (just in time for the holidays) we are due one its been quiet for a while.

Set up a legit taxi service and pricing, I agree increase the surcharge for larger vehicles but at least set the rules and pricing to be applied.

Edited by ChangMaiSausage
  • Like 1

A few years ago, taxi drivers in Seoul threatened - and executed - a one-day strike. No taxis were supposed to go out that day - most of the taxi companies took part, but a few owner-operated ones went out.

The result? Traffic flowed smoother, there were fewer taxis parked / double-parked in places that blocked the flow of traffic, buses arrived faster since taxis weren't using the bus only lanes. Most expats I talked to (and a few Koreans) actually enjoyed the lack of taxis.

Bye bye van taxis. The free market is speaking.

• Like 2

This is the time to stand firm and send a message that ... no, you do not get paid 100 Baht to sit on your duff and wait for a fare. If the airport run does not suit your fancy, you are free to go elsewhere. And no, you do not charge by the bag ... that is absurd....it is an F'ing airport ... there will be baggage involved.

One could make a strong argument that it is less wear and tear on a vehicle, and more profitable to take long hauls at highway speeds than the grinding and punishing stop and go of the downtown.

If they cave now and double the rate, we are on track to become Phuket, where non metered mafia taxis run the island.

No, if you do not like the 200 - 500 THB runs you get at the airport ... do not go there.

Perhaps a long day i"back home" in the sun chopping rice for 100 Baht a day would remind you that driving an air-conditioned cab is not tough duty .. relatively speaking.

And yes, I have actually driven a taxi for a living, and let me tell you ... it is a lot easier than some other back breaking work I have done.

Situations like this arise by the mis-management and cosy arrangements over the years then when it gets out of hand the authorities don't know how to handle it. if tough action needs to be taken they don't have what it takes to get on with it.

Then the US Embassy should send someone to visit and talk to the threatening parties.
What?

When the airport authorities cannot handle the situation, the military would come in to solve the issue.

US Embassy should be a step ahead of the military.

Large vehicles set rate 700THB airport to BKK, I've never had them turn on the meter, we have asked / refused but still they have never budged.

Things are not so straight forward when you are travelling as a family of four with luggage.

Last time we did take two taxi's splitting the family and luggage between the vehicles.

Its easy for many to say sod off, but your average tourist relies on the taxi's getting to and from BKK etc....

I see a taxi strike and road blockage coming shortly (just in time for the holidays) we are due one its been quiet for a while.

Set up a legit taxi service and pricing, I agree increase the surcharge for larger vehicles but at least set the rules and pricing to be applied.

"Your average tourist" should make themselves aware of the cheaper and perfectly adequate alternatives. Ever heard of the BTS or even (horrors!) a bus?

Once alighting at the airport link BTS station, they can get a taxi at a far more reasonable, legal price.

Until, that is, these half-wits forego Swampy and move the Makkasan, and fleece the public there instead.

• Like 1