Suvarnabhumi van-taxis threaten to stop service

webfact

I have been surprised at the proliferation of larger taxis in Bangkok. Vehicles like Toyota's Fortuna costing near 1.5 million baht competing with the Toyota Corolla's at about half the cost. What were the owners of the big cars thinking about their return on investment ? Get yourselves a smaller vehicle (Or two of them for the same price) and you may well make some money.

Pirate taxi service...pays better than those with green plates.

I want more money too. I am going to stop working if they do not give me more money. Well, being an entrepreneur, you know what my clientele would tell me? Blow me. we do not need you, if you are not offering a good value. That is what they would tell me. Many in the world are looking for jobs. I realize this is not the most pleasant of jobs, but at least you are employed! Stop kvetching. Just work an honest day, and earn an honest days wage. And you know what, if you are kind, courteous, and do not try to cheat your passengers, you might earn some good tips too. NOBODY forced you into this job. You were not brought over from Africa, and forced into taxi slavery. Man up. Just do your jobs.

I have never seen those larger taxi's at the airport. I bet they would get more customers then the Altis cabs with a huge lpg tank. They can't load much luggage anyway.

What i do still see is yelling cabdrivers when i go out for a smoke, very annoying. Bet they also won't use the metre.

HEY YOU!! YOU!! HEY BOSS, BOSS..... Come on man, at least they can yell "Hello Sir, do you need a taxi?"

I don't pay any attention at all to Thai yelling to me that way. Even somtam vendors like to do so, Get lost.

When I flew through last year (before they put the machines in), I had a load of bags and asked for a People Carrier. They got me one. He put the meter on.

No big deal.

Edited by Chicog

Doesn't matter whether I'm off to Bangkok or Pattaya, I stuck two fingers up to these taxi drivers a long time ago...BTS and buses are good enough for me and better than them...I'm a light traveler but if you happen to have too many bags for that then there are quite a few taxi services that people book in advance and often mention on these forums....use them

Wow I can't believe everyone is so down on the taxis service , I have never had a bad experience with the taxis out of the airport so what if they don't turn theiri meters on , my god 1500 baht from airport to Pattaya for Christ sake quit your whining !!

Shit them all, that's why I arrange my own car, and I would rather use public transport, they have been screwing tourist for years. grow some balls Thailand and tell these people there are alternatives, to taxis, they are trying to threaten the airport who in turn got no balls to do anything, cowards

Doesn't matter whether I'm off to Bangkok or Pattaya, I stuck two fingers up to these taxi drivers a long time ago...BTS and buses are good enough for me and better than them...I'm a light traveler but if you happen to have too many bags for that then there are quite a few taxi services that people book in advance and often mention on these forums....use them

Wow I can't believe everyone is so down on the taxis service , I have never had a bad experience with the taxis out of the airport so what if they don't turn theiri meters on , my god 1500 baht from airport to Pattaya for Christ sake quit your whining !!

But we are not just talking about Pattaya

What an opportunity for some entrepreneur to start a real airport taxi service also using mini buses to take groups into town with a meter showing the fair price. So let the existing guys cut there own nuts off and then BINGO oh oh yah.

• Like 1

I do not know what the problem is with taxis at airport. During the day they are happy to take you there cost around 250-300 baht including tolls.Evenings we pay this 50 baht booking fee and in most cases ends up in an argument with the driver not wanting to put the meter on.Personally I think they should extend the sky train hours to after 1am which would make life easier for most.

It is not good these arguments with taxi drivers after we been flying for 12 hours and just want a bed.Can anybody explain why the difference between day and night fares?

• Like 1

Situations like this arise by the mis-management and cosy arrangements over the years then when it gets out of hand the authorities don't know how to handle it. if tough action needs to be taken they don't have what it takes to get on with it.

Then the US Embassy should send someone to visit and talk to the threatening parties.
What?

When the airport authorities cannot handle the situation, the military would come in to solve the issue.

US Embassy should be a step ahead of the military.

What? blink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes allow them to charge more.

The price of oil has halved in the last few months. Are they going to pass this saving onto their customers ?

these editors don't understand the root cause of their prom for having lower income. is not the cost of low fare, its their service that gone to hell

I always give good tip for a good taxi driver and refuse getting taxies that want to charge off meter

These same van drivers were charging an excessive flat fee of 700B into the city before they were forced to use the meter. They screwed the tourist for an age whilst they were allowed to get away with it.

I avoid these vans as a matter of principal now, regardless of whether they now use the meter under duress. And I always tip a good cab driver well from the airport as it's always appreciated after a long flight.

Way to go with the cab drivers. They always get a good tip from me if they just play it decent and honest. As I recall some of those nice van folks also sometimes used to try to charge an "import tax".

If they provided a half way reasonable service i wouldn't mind so much. But after the taxis that drive like psychopaths, tailgating and speeding, the one that made a huge detour to buy gas and asked me to pay, the time the taxi allowed his friend to jump in and they played loud music on the radio till i made them stop, after the ones who start cheating on the tolls, the ones whose cars aren't roadworthy, the ones who stick their hands out for a tip at the end, the ones who have been drinking...and the stories of violent attacks because of some minor dispute plus all the other stories of scams and tricks that left people stranded or hospitalized...after all that id rather just take the bus... Edited by paddyjenkins

Situations like this arise by the mis-management and cosy arrangements over the years then when it gets out of hand the authorities don't know how to handle it. if tough action needs to be taken they don't have what it takes to get on with it.

Then the US Embassy should send someone to visit and talk to the threatening parties.

Yeah, that'll cut it! How about napalm, drone strikes etc?

One of the greediest groups in Thailand. I say let them cancel service to the airport. By my estimate, there's probably a 1000 more taxi's more than willing to provide the service. Oh...this group is the ones the airport taxi mafia threatens to stay away. A new coup, the taxi coup is in the air. Hilarious, the circus just keeps rolling along...

Edited by jlwilliamsjr18

Yeah, that'll cut it! How about napalm, drone strikes etc?

Airport taxi's are the same in most countries. Had to go back to UK a couple of years ago without thinking about getting where I needed to go. Asked a black cab how much to go about 100 k and was quoted 17,000 baht with no meter .

Yes allow them to charge more.

The price of oil has halved in the last few months. Are they going to pass this saving onto their customers ?

I'm not siding with the taxi drivers but, while the reduction in oil prices has meant petrol/benzene and diesel have come down in price a lot both LPG and CNG, which the taxis use have gone up in price by about 1.5 baht in recent weeks.

Ask me they are bitching because people arent using them as they once did because of the rip-off's. They are finding alternate means, whether it be Uber/train/bus and they dont like it. In true mentality here they are now spitting out the dummy!!

Do a good job and play fair, the customer will do the same, and usually tip anyway, stop being greedy and just do the job you are paid for properly.