Suvarnabhumi van-taxis threaten to stop service

webfact

Shit them all, that's why I arrange my own car, and I would rather use public transport, they have been screwing tourist for years. grow some balls Thailand and tell these people there are alternatives, to taxis, they are trying to threaten the airport who in turn got no balls to do anything, cowards

But taxis working out of the major airports around the world have been scalping people since Ben Hur was taking tours around the coliseum.

I'm not suggesting it's a justification but it is what it is.

Like others I've never had a problem with any taxi in Thailand in over 20 years of 2 or more visits a year. My only gripe is asking them to slow down.

I've had them refuse me sometimes but similarly this is something I've experienced in the 'good old, problem free, Shangri la west'.

A licensed taxi wont leave heathrow for under the equivalent of 50000 thb.

In sleepy old Perth ( West Australia ) it will cost me over 40000thb ( probably more with the exchange rate misery ) to get to the international terminal and I live inner city.

1500 thb will get you to Pattaya or Bangkok.

Now if that is taxi drivers 'screwing tourists' you must be the sort who buys a beer with 3 straws, eats off the 'cholera carts', and other tightfisted tactics ...aka Mr Cheap Charlie .

Indulge in a bit of perspective, lose the anti thai invective, smile and open your wallet. Life may in fact start to be enjoyable

• Like 2

When I was in bangkok last november, NOT ONE taxi would turn on the meter apart from the one we got at the airport and don meung airport. In the city they all wanted 500 baht to take you 2km....It's a scam nothing more and the government needs to fix it ASAP....but doubt they will!

Never had that. From the airport I am inter province which is displayed on a card hung from the front seat. Sometimes manage to get it cheaper than the price displayed .

What does fuel have to do with cng or gas? All of them run on gas.

Who forced them to buy bigger engines?

Can only hope AOT does not give in to this scammers.

Do you know just how cheap cng is....its pennies compared to "gas"

Do you know the difference, between cng, lpg and gasoline?rolleyes.gif

What does fuel have to do with cng or gas? All of them run on gas.

Who forced them to buy bigger engines?

Can only hope AOT does not give in to this scammers.

Do you know just how cheap cng is....its pennies compared to "gas"

Do you know the difference, between cng, lpg and gasoline?rolleyes.gif

My sister who lives in the US came out to visit a few years back. Got a taxi to go to my house, on the way he said he needed more gas, my sister remarked that Thais have have the same name for petrol as the US. I kept quiet while she put him right.

This threat is funny, in other countries (developed) overcharging and not going by meter cabbies would have been banned to approach an airport.

I should think license to drive a cab would be suspended rather than just banning them from an airport.

• Like 1

All these posters saying get the rail link or get a normal taxi are missing the point - if you have a lot of luggage, these taxis are your only decent option. They're also generally newer, more comfortable and safer.

I'd gladly pay a slightly higher surcharge for them if it meant could always get one when needed and they would use the meter with no fuss.

What a greedy lot... just got a raise in fares and now they are gunning for more,

the other day I took a taxi from Thonglor to the main airport and the meter was 240

baht, where before the raise it use to cost 205 baht, this is nearly 20 % up on

the old fare under the same road conditions... what's up with that? and now they want

more??

Been here 7 years and never seen the fares go up for taix

Can you say that about your home town?

The fares were too low before and they still are

Very surprised there has not been a revolt a long time ago

They should come to an agreement on annual fare increase in line with the increase in cost of living

That said the scams and lying gotta stop as it is bad for Thailands image 555

After landing, going through immigration, walking through the meeting point you exit the building through the revolving doors and enter a queue one of two queues for taxis. The bigger taxi van taxi should have its own queue, so there is now three queues. The van taxi charge worked out, charges advertised on a board next to the queue. Problem solved.

Hopefully they sort this out. If two or three of you arrive with a fair amount of baggage, a normal taxi doesn't cut it.

If that is the case then you should use 2 taxis and pay the extra for what you have. These van taxis drivers should be given the boot and see how fast they come running back when they miss their next car payment or can't feed their families. Let them go.

I have done this more than a few times. When we come back from the States, we generally have five pieces of luggage, I go in one taxi, my wife in the other.

I understand how the Taxi drivers feel.Even though they just got an increase it's still low.They lose big time in rush hour with stop

And go traffic.Can't raise A family or pay the bills.If they hear how much taxi drivers get at JFK airport they would go crazy.

And gas is more expensive in Thailand,maintenance,tires,oil etc ,etc,etc.The only break is some of the cars use natural gas

So that helps.

Taxis use NGV at a price of 8.55 baht per kilogram.

A toyota ALTIS uses 8 kg per 100 km

A toyota INNOVA (van) uses 10 kg per 100 km

If they have to drive 100 km for 1 roundtrip to the airport the difference in cost for the driver is 2 kg NGV or 17B.

So, change the airport surcharge from 50 to 70B for vans and everything is solved.

• Like 1

How it went: Airport taxi to Rat Burana, exclusive expressway toll Bht 550... got difficulties to get the change back from 1000Bht... grrr

How i do now: Rat Burana to PhayaThai taxi - very polite and helpfull - 150 Bht + PhayaThai to Airport expressline 60 Bht in 15 minutes.... total 210Bht LOL

No traffic jam... no hassle...

In the five years of living in Bkk i learned to avoid the airport-taxi scammers... i hate it to be ripped off...

Do any of you people repeating "Use the Skytrain" realise what a pain in the rear it is if you have loads of luggage?

It's a non starter.

All people are asking for is a fixed price that's acceptable to both parties, not to be ripped off by a load of lazy, entitled gits.

Good on the taxi's.

If I had a large 6 cylinder taxi and they offered me the same money as a small 4 cylinder taxi I would move my business elsewhere. 6 cylinders and bigger taxi's cost more to maintain. Planned, unplanned and breakdown maintenance costs money. The bigger the mechanical asset the more it costs.

I don't personally use the local taxis at the airport (don't ask what use or I will be attacked as an elitist), but if I did I would help them out with a big tip if they had a large taxi. It costs more money to transport people in bigger vehicles.

If you don't agree then maybe we can argue you to be picked up in a Lamborghini. for the same price as a normal 4 cylinder taxi Not because of the size of the vehicle, but because of the cylinders...

More cylinders…More $$$ Full stop..

Happens in Australia too. Apparently that is a democracy...

Yes yes yingluck was elected.!!!

Edited by djjamie

<deleted> -em ban all taxi's and AOT set up a van service to all major hotels and keep all the money You do have Airport Link line Correct? And I found it to be cheaper than taxi and faster with out tolls being paid. So IMO no great loss. I sure private citizens with cars would be more than happy to pick up the slack.

The Airport Link has been out of service for some time and will not resume services sometime soon. The Citilink trains cannot cope.

Brisbane Airport to Annerley costs $21:80

With a maxi cab…Yes, yes it is a bigger taxi.It costs 1.5 times as much

People do not need to leave their brain at immigration when they enter Thailand, yet on this thread I have witnessed it constantly.

It happened every where people.

Bigger taxis cost more.

It aint a Junta thing. It aint a democracy thing. It aint anything…It is a bigger car uses more fuel thing….

• Like 1

It sounds like the taxi drivers are being asked to pay more to the organisation running the taxi service at the airport so that they need more than B50 to cover the fee that they pay the operators to join the queue.

I am waiting for the taxi mafia to come up with a surcharge on luggage weighing more than 7kgs like Air Asia etc.

First off, if these guys knew how to present themselves with smart looking attire it would appear they are more into their

job and appeal to the potential passengers. This, along with politeness would most often already have them set up for a respectable tip. That is, providing they don't reek of foul cigarette smoke. If I detect that the driver is an addict of this habit

he has no chance for my patronage. If it isn't visible then my nose will tell me. Also the first impression of his car works for me. If he has the windshield covered with all the voodoo stuff I avoid him because I want my driver to see, not guess where he is going. If I were a driver of a taxi I'd invest in a trip to Japan to see how it's done there. They go so far as to wear white gloves, and have clean doilies on the seatbacks and you never will encounter a schemer. As for the best ride into Bangkok I pre order a major hotel limousine for my ride. They open the doors for you and if you request them to drive slower

your request is obeyed. Once I get to the hotel I am guaranteed a pleasant stay because I've chosen an upstanding hostelry.Why not, it's only money? Too many travelers to Thailand try too hard to save small coinage rather than letting loose and

enjoying themselves! (Sorry, do I sound a bit of a snob?)

used to do the taxi craziness. No more thank you!

Brisbane Airport to Annerley costs $21:80

With a maxi cab…Yes, yes it is a bigger taxi.It costs 1.5 times as much

People do not need to leave their brain at immigration when they enter Thailand, yet on this thread I have witnessed it constantly.

It happened every where people.

Bigger taxis cost more.

It aint a Junta thing. It aint a democracy thing. It aint anything…It is a bigger car uses more fuel thing….

In California, it costs $45-$50 to go from the Sacramento Airport to Downtown Sacramento (19 kms ONLY)!

Even if you take the shared van service it's $15 fo 1st person and $11 for 2nd to same location.

Hell, give them the extra 50 Baht.

How many times does the average TV reader go to or from the airport?

Unless they're doing business it's probably less than 6 times a year.

All this commotion over 300 Baht per year?

Ah well I guess you could get a couple pints of Chang with it. Now THAT'S something to crow about! Haha!

• Like 2