The Search for the Missing Spitfire of Phrae

Johpa

Go into Google and check out: David Cundall

Yes, I have a close friend, a Burmese American, who has been following the saga of the search for the buried Spitfires and sends me all his links.

Phrae and its surrounding region is a great place if you speak Thai, but does not have a very large ex-pat community. It reminds me of Chiang Mai 30 years ago with bustling modern main streets but just off those main avenues it quickly becomes quiet and more traditional. Alas, the last I heard was that Carl returned to the UK. The highlight of a visit is the road west of the river heading north towards Song (the site of the last major rebellion up north against the forces of Bangkok) where there are many large traditional Lanna style wood homes, the style that have largely disappeared from Chiang Mai as the wood has been repurposed for newer homes.

But relative to the story, it is best to remember that Phrae was a relatively isolated provincial capital until fairly recently. It's isolation was the reason the Allies chose that region as a base for the Seri Thai forces. When I first arrived in CNX it was a full day's journey to Phrae. That is why I think it is plausible that perhaps the plane was forced to land in Phrae in the late 1950s, just as the plane was being taken out of RTAF service, and just abandoned at the nearby airfield as the cost of repair and retrieval was just too great.

It takes some very serious money to purchase and restore a WWII warbird. Google shows only 53 airworthy Spitfires worldwide. Ironically, US-Pete is acquainted with the owner of the Flying Heritage Museum which does have one of those airworthy Spitfires in the collection.

The photo from Suwankhalok probably shows the condition the Phrae aircraft was in if and when they may have decided to sell it for scrap.

post-9366-39481_thumb.jpg

post-9366-68886_thumb.jpg

Restoring the old airplane would be a worthwhile effort for local expat veterans. Maybe they can get together and join in with some Thais and get the job done. I would not be surprised if there are more than one or two competent men in Thailand. This would be a great project and be building bridges by returning a piece of history to life that connects many people.

Great story and i hope one day the Phrae Spitfire turns up in someone's collection or a Museum previously unknown.

Living close to RAF Hawkinge during the early 50's it was fairly common for Spit's to be flying around the Folkestone area above my school until they were finally retired from service. The Merlin has a very distinct sound and can be heard and recognised from quite a distance. The Lancaster Bomber has four of them fitted and makes the best sound of all when at Airshows or performing flypasts together with a Spitfire and Hurricane of the 'Battle of Britain Flight'.

This year i will hopefully be in England in time for the Biggin Hill Airshow at the end of May and once again hear that wonderful sound.

• 7 months later...

Unforunately karl has had a few personal problems as of late and so contacting him here in Phrae has become difficult! I live in Phrae so I'll start my own search and see what I can come up with.....always good for a giggle? thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Archived