Beer Lao Gold

Isan Farang

Went to Savannakhet yesterday for a new visa, and while having a look around had a sample and pulled 12 bottles to bring back with me

Just checking if the following gold is available in Thailand, I drink the dark version purchased at Makro Ubon, but have never seen this one before.

The price at the Café if purchased in a sealed pack

Beer Lao Dark 195 Baht for 6

Beer Lao Gold 140 Baht for 3

post-1136-0-48189600-1422500052.jpg

I dont think the Thai govt. allow the import of 'Large' bottles of BeerLao for resale.

I find the dark beer too sweet.

BeerLao is good.

BeerLao Gold is excellent..........Looking forward to a few on my visa run next week.......thumbsup.gif..........Cheers!

I dont think the Thai govt. allow the import of 'Large' bottles of BeerLao for resale.

I find the dark beer too sweet.

BeerLao is good.

BeerLao Gold is excellent..........Looking forward to a few on my visa run next week.......thumbsup.gif..........Cheers!

I have no idea regarding the import restrictions but these bottles I purchased were the small 330m/l

The shops will have lost a lot of day time business now as the one day visa service finished today. The answer for most to kill the 6 hours waiting time was to to sample the Lao beer.

The shop next to the consulate ran out of beer and they had to phone the delivery man for new supplies.

Mate I miss the days where you could buy beer Lao everywhere it is one of my favourite drops. Funnily enough I saw an extensive selection of all the beer Laos in the Lotus at the bottom of central festival in Udon. Honestly can't remember if that exact bottle was there (i drink the normal stuff) but it's worth a shot.

7 11 now stock the small bottles of dark and blonde beer Loa. Well they do on the Eastern coast so i imagine they should elsewhere. Shame its not the gold!!

Where do they sell it at 7/11 in the region covered by this forum?

Nowhere that we know of. AND be ware you can only bring 1 liter of any alcohol into Thailand that includes beer. Unless you want to pay a serious fine.whistling.gif

7 11 now stock the small bottles of dark and blonde beer Loa. Well they do on the Eastern coast so i imagine they should elsewhere. Shame its not the gold!!

Where do they sell it at 7/11 in the region covered by this forum?

Nowhere that we know of. AND be ware you can only bring 1 liter of any alcohol into Thailand that includes beer. Unless you want to pay a serious fine.whistling.gif

I checked with the guy there and he told me 3 large or 6 small bottles per person so that is way more than 1 liter

When I returned they checked the 6 small bottles I had and no issue.

They are happy if you bring extra as it will be confiscated and shared between them.

Edited by Isan Farang

I've never seen the Gold in TH, but wish I could as it's the best beer Lao IMO.

I will be heading to Makro on Monday to pull a few boxes of the dark if there is some left, I will be asking if they have or can obtain the gold.

If its available in Ubon then Tops at Central Mall will be the likely supplier.They also have a nice selection of large bottles of premium German beer.

One said 6. One said 12. One said 1 liter. I've done 12 in Chong Mek. Just wondering what the law is.

Sorry I should have mentioned the 12 small bottles was for 2 people.

They told me 6 per person, you know the story over here everything changes by the day and location. This was at Savannakhet.

After checking it appears the official deal is One litre of wine or spirits it may be they cut some slack for beer.

Edited by Isan Farang
  • Like 1

From what I understood / heard:

1 liter wine / spirit OR 6 pack of beer.

Isan farang: any luck speaking with somebody at makro yesterday?

The Lao gold sure is delicious. smile.png

When I went yesterday for my supply of dark. I was informed they have never stocked gold and was unsure if and when it would be on the shelf.

At present they only stock the dark and standard that comes in 24 per box.

I am not done looking yet, I will now try Tops and then another outlet called The bottle shop

640ml Bottles of Beer Lao Gold are no longer produced. They stopped producing 640ml as nobody was buying (or not many) . Beer Lao has improved the taste of the Gold but is now only sold in 330ml bottles. A few Farang seem to buy the Gold but Lao people still prefer the standard. It's a price issue! The Beer Lao Girls Dressed in their Gold outfits look great too!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 2/1/2015 at 2:18 PM, Isan Farang said:

I will be heading to Makro on Monday to pull a few boxes of the dark if there is some left, I will be asking if they have or can obtain the gold.

If its available in Ubon then Tops at Central Mall will be the likely supplier.They also have a nice selection of large bottles of premium German beer.

Supplies have been good lately in the Ubon Makro and even Makro Warin (on the Kantharalak Rd just south of the Ring Road) has been seen stocking it in recent months. My guess is a lot of it is going to expats or their bars. Beer Lao dark seems to be better stocked than Beer Lao regular these days and is available in all the Ubon falang bars most of the time .. at a price. Havn't seen Beer Lao Gold on sale anywhere in cases - think I've seen it by the bottle at TOPS (Central Plaza) but not 100% sure, but they will normally have regular and dark by the bottle in the unlikely event you can't source bulk at either of the Makros.

Edited by SantiSuk

14 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Supplies have been good lately in the Ubon Makro and even Makro Warin (on the Kantharalak Rd just south of the Ring Road) has been seen stocking it in recent months. My guess is a lot of it is going to expats or their bars. Beer Lao dark seems to be better stocked than Beer Lao regular these days and is available in all the Ubon falang bars most of the time .. at a price.

14 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Supplies have been good lately in the Ubon Makro and even Makro Warin (on the Kantharalak Rd just south of the Ring Road) has been seen stocking it in recent months. My guess is a lot of it is going to expats or their bars. Beer Lao dark seems to be better stocked than Beer Lao regular these days and is available in all the Ubon falang bars most of the time .. at a price.

Observed some Beer Lao dark in Tesco/Lotus today 65 Baht per bottle.