Phuket Body in Bin killer Stein Dokset sentenced to nine years

Jonathan Fairfield

I have some reservations about this case. Everyone here is very quick to condemn him here, but the same people most likely think the 2 Burmese guys on Koh Tao were set up, and I do too. Why could Stein not have been set up. There is a lot of money to be made here for someone. I have read most of the posts over the last two years, and no one here seems to doubt what the police say. I don't trust the RTP or the legal system.

Many things to me don't add up.

I had met Stein on many occasions and he did not seem to me that he was a madman that would do what he has been convicted of. But maybe he hid it well, I don't know.

I do know he had a new girlfriend who had 2 kids and if the body was really in the house for 2 years, why did she not smell it and ask why the bathroom was locked (Not the bedroom).Thai women are normally very inquisitive the ones that look after and around the house, She also was visiting him in prison after his arrest. If she thought he was guilty, do you think she would have been doing that?

Initially when the police came to his house and they said they found the body he denied knowing anything about the body. " In an interrogation he explained the authorities that the two had an argument, during which she fell down some stairs and died. When he discovered that she was dead he panicked and concealed the body."

He would have been told that if found guilty that he could get a very long sentence or possibly even the death penalty. If he pleads guilty, the sentence would be cut in half and he would not get the death penalty. Maybe as her husband was a Phuket policeman he thought he would be convicted and made the story up, or that story was fed to him.

She had been missing for 2 years, why didn't her husband report her missing and raid his place? Why didn't he do something? Why was nothing done till Junes family in Bangkok got the Bangkok police involved to get things happening? You would think a policeman whose wife had disappeared could have done more. I believe the Phuket police wouldn't do anything.Who now will get the properties? I would guess the husband as they were in her name.

how could he live with the smell that must have been in the house

I think that is a very good question.

This is all just a possible explanation as to why he was in the house, and never ran away. When I met him, he always acted normal and not deranged or mentally ill.

Didn't you read his statement , and also what has been told to media ? He admitted he pushed her and that it was an accident. So we know he is responsible for her death, the only question is whether it was an accident or if he did it on purpose. And why would he keep the body for 2 years if he felt it was an accident ?

If it was me pushing the girl I would have called the police and an ambulance , even if it was too late to save her. No reason to hide an accidental death. No he is guilty for sure.

Yes I did, but didn't you read what I wrote? The 2 Burmese admitted killing the 2 British people in Koh Tao. Under interrogation. Under torture you could admit to anything. How about if you were told you are going to be found guilty no matter what.. Were you there when Stein was interrogated? He would have been told he may be executed or a very long sentence if he was found guilty and pleaded innocent. I have already stated this and more in my first post. Do you trust what the papers print and what the RTP say always?

I have some reservations about this case. Everyone here is very quick to condemn him here, but the same people most likely think the 2 Burmese guys on Koh Tao were set up, and I do too. Why could Stein not have been set up. There is a lot of money to be made here for someone. I have read most of the posts over the last two years, and no one here seems to doubt what the police say. I don't trust the RTP or the legal system.

I had met Stein on many occasions and he did not seem to me that he was a madman that would do what he has been convicted of. But maybe he hid it well, I don't know.

I do know he had a new girlfriend who had 2 kids and if the body was really in the house for 2 years, why did she not smell it and ask why the bathroom was locked (Not the bedroom).Thai women are normally very inquisitive the ones that look after and around the house, She also was visiting him in prison after his arrest. If she thought he was guilty, do you think she would have been doing that?

Initially when the police came to his house and they said they found the body he denied knowing anything about the body. " In an interrogation he explained the authorities that the two had an argument, during which she fell down some stairs and died. When he discovered that she was dead he panicked and concealed the body."

He would have been told that if found guilty that he could get a very long sentence or possibly even the death penalty. If he pleads guilty, the sentence would be cut in half and he would not get the death penalty. Maybe as her husband was a Phuket policeman he thought he would be convicted and made the story up, or that story was fed to him.

She had been missing for 2 years, why didn't her husband report her missing and raid his place? Why didn't he do something? Why was nothing done till Junes family in Bangkok got the Bangkok police involved to get things happening? You would think a policeman whose wife had disappeared could have done more. I believe the Phuket police wouldn't do anything.Who now will get the properties? I would guess the husband as they were in her name.

This is all just a possible explanation as to why he was in the house, and never ran away. When I met him, he always acted normal and not deranged or mentally ill.

Didn't you read his statement , and also what has been told to media ? He admitted he pushed her and that it was an accident. So we know he is responsible for her death, the only question is whether it was an accident or if he did it on purpose. And why would he keep the body for 2 years if he felt it was an accident ?

If it was me pushing the girl I would have called the police and an ambulance , even if it was too late to save her. No reason to hide an accidental death. No he is guilty for sure.

Yes I did, but didn't you read what I wrote? The 2 Burmese admitted killing the 2 British people in Koh Tao. Under interrogation. Under torture you could admit to anything. How about if you were told you are going to be found guilty no matter what.. Were you there when Stein was interrogated? He would have been told he may be executed or a very long sentence if he was found guilty and pleaded innocent. I have already stated this and more in my first post. Do you trust what the papers print and what the RTP say always?

Stop looking for lame excuses. The Burmese later retracted the statement when they had seen a lawyer. Stein never did.

Transam; is that you?

555 No it is me not him!! whistling.gif

• Like 1

Stop looking for lame excuses. The Burmese later retracted the statement when they had seen a lawyer. Stein never did.

You just don't get it do you? IF he is innocent, he didn't want to retract his statement as he didn't want to possibly be executed or spend the rest of his life in jail. There is no evidence against the Burmese except for possibly switched or contaminated DNA. The police supposedly found her body in his house. Hard to prove it was planted by the police during the raid, if that is how it got there. The whole story stinks, what ever you believe.

I wonder if he will come back and post on Thaivisa once released?

I hope not, there's enough douchebags around without him coming back.

Hopefully he croaks inside. A bully and a thug that obviously pushes women around. Good Riddance must be fun having 9 years of your life wasted inside and when he's finally released there's probably people waiting for him.

Hopefully he croaks inside. A bully and a thug that obviously pushes women around. Good Riddance must be fun having 9 years of your life wasted inside and when he's finally released there's probably people waiting for him.

Did it ever occur to you that none of this may have happened if Thailand had more secure property ownership laws for foreigners?

You make it sould like it was an abusive relationship.

From memory, there was an argument because he had put property in her name, and she was leaving him, and keeping the property.

The argument became physical, and he either hit her on the head with a blunt object, pushed her down the stairs - with no intent to kill her, or she did actually fall down the stairs.

If he could have had the land, and house, in his name, he may simply have said, "There's the door - use it" and she would still be alive today and he would not be in gaol.

I'm not justifying his actions of concealing her body, just saying, from memory, that domestic violence wasn't the cause of the altercation.

The victim may very well have been trying to rip him off.

I like your post, but think you are wrong about the timing of the argument. She was already married to the policeman when it occurred so she had already left him a fair amount of time before the alleged argument or the policeman married her and had a child with her after she was dead.

In Canada life in prison is 25yrs....the guy who murdered my sister in 1994 got 10yrs, we were all outraged,but to this day he is still in prison.

Sometimes the justice system seems.....well,unjust,however,some do remain where they deserve to be.

I doubt very much that this Norwegian dude will survive a Thai-prison for long - a farang that kills a Thai is as good as dead,no matter how much money he has....justice served.

In Canada life in prison is 25yrs....the guy who murdered my sister in 1994 got 10yrs, we were all outraged,but to this day he is still in prison.

Sometimes the justice system seems.....well,unjust,however,some do remain where they deserve to be.

I doubt very much that this Norwegian dude will survive a Thai-prison for long - a farang that kills a Thai is as good as dead,no matter how much money he has....justice served.

Do we ever really know who is with who. and when, and for what motive, here?

No, but in this case my fellow Norwegian countryman admitted he pushed her in an interview with the Norwegian press. I doubt he would do that if he was completely innocent. Do you get my point ? Also he was charged for carrying a weapon.

And since you're talking about the Burmese suspects, you have no evidence that the police tortured them. Yes they changed their statement after they realized they could get away with murder just by pleading not guilty and good lawyers working for them. Or maybe they really are scapegoats, we don't know that, butvyou can speculate all you want.

Edited by balo

Did it ever occur to you that none of this may have happened if Thailand had more secure property ownership laws for foreigners?

From memory, there was an argument because he had put property in her name, and she was leaving him, and keeping the property.

The argument became physical, and he either hit her on the head with a blunt object, pushed her down the stairs - with no intent to kill her, or she did actually fall down the stairs.

If he could have had the land, and house, in his name, he may simply have said, "There's the door - use it" and she would still be alive today and he would not be in gaol.

I'm not justifying his actions of concealing her body, just saying, from memory, that domestic violence wasn't the cause of the altercation.

What a load of waffle.

For the point of this argument his 'intent' was irrelevant. He got physical with a bird and she died. I already know that apparently he didn't mean it &!that why the charge wasn't murder.

The guy was a bully.

Anyway, he knew what the property laws were when he signed, stupid is as stupid does....putting himself in that situation.

Never invest more into Thailand than you can afford to lose ;)

• Like 2

He played the Thai justice game and got a favourable result.

Don't be angry or hateful at him, hate the system that allowed him to get the sentence.

"hate the system that allowed him to get the sentence"- that "system" also resulted in a financial windfall (by Thai standards) for the family.

Sure, their mother or daughter can never come back, but in western countries, he would have just gone to gaol - no money to the family.

I suspose there has to be a trade off, somewhere in the Thai system, for that to occur, otherwise, who would give money to the victim's family, for no reduced sentence?

It's a difficult moral and ethical issue.

Does "the system" give him 30 years, and subject the family to poverty, particularly the children, or does "the system" allow the offender to compensate the victim's family, in lieu of a reduced sentence?

The Thai system gives this option, that's why, in general, there are only poor Thai's in gaol, for lengthy sentences.

For me, with the Thai style in mind, it's about the "balance" between compensating the victim's family, and the offender's gaol sentence.

What a load of waffle.

For the point of this argument his 'intent' was irrelevant. He got physical with a bird and she died. I already know that apparently he didn't mean it &!that why the charge wasn't murder.

The guy was a bully.

Anyway, he knew what the property laws were when he signed, stupid is as stupid does....putting himself in that situation.

Never invest more into Thailand than you can afford to lose wink.png

"For the point of this argument his 'intent' was irrelevant." - ahhhh, no, his "intent" was totally relevant.

You may wish to avail yourself of the below link.

Intent is everything in cases like these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

"The guy was a bully." - what are you basing this on?

Edited by NamKangMan

He played the Thai justice game and got a favourable result.

Don't be angry or hateful at him, hate the system that allowed him to get the sentence.

"hate the system that allowed him to get the sentence"- that "system" also resulted in a financial windfall (by Thai standards) for the family.

Sure, their mother or daughter can never come back, but in western countries, he would have just gone to gaol - no money to the family.

I suspose there has to be a trade off, somewhere in the Thai system, for that to occur, otherwise, who would give money to the victim's family, for no reduced sentence?

It's a difficult moral and ethical issue.

Does "the system" give him 30 years, and subject the family to poverty, particularly the children, or does "the system" allow the offender to compensate the victim's family, in lieu of a reduced sentence?

The Thai system gives this option, that's why, in general, there are only poor Thai's in gaol, for lengthy sentences.

For me, with the Thai style in mind, it's about the "balance" between compensating the victim's family, and the offender's gaol sentence.

The difference in farang land the lawyers get the money instead of the families. Is that morally right?

Does the sentence take into account the time already spent in gaol here does anybody know? maybe 9 -3 = 6 years and deported?

For sure he gets allowance for time served. I expect he will be deported in much less than 6 years and serve the balance in a Norwegian jail. Not sure of the formula but I expect he won't be a Thai jail for much longer.

Does the sentence take into account the time already spent in gaol here does anybody know? maybe 9 -3 = 6 years and deported?

For sure he gets allowance for time served. I expect he will be deported in much less than 6 years and serve the balance in a Norwegian jail. Not sure of the formula but I expect he won't be a Thai jail for much longer.
Of course he won't but it doesn't make him less guilty. The guy is responsible for killing a local woman. His history is one of someone that is a power tripper. He was boasting in various forums about his connections and how he was able to obtain a gun. The guy got off lightly in my books
  • Like 1

"For the point of this argument his 'intent' was irrelevant." - ahhhh, no, his "intent" was totally relevant.

You arnt following me.

For the point in the argument you and I are having, his intent is irrelevant, I don't need to read your link I know what mens rea is. I am saying I already accept that he might of had NO INTENT to kill her but he still GOT PHYSICAL with a Sheila. Whether he just pushed her or did something else physical he still did that which makes him a 'Bully'. Is that clearer for you.

I understand the difference between murder and other killings....I'm not interested in that.

anyway, he had two years in his own home jail followed by another 9 in a Thai jail and he will probably end up quite ill at the end of it. After which he will be deported and lose all. Still a light sentence for a life.
  • Like 1

Ok, there have been some replies that have answered my doubts to his guilt of hiding the body. I needed to get some answers and thanks to some TV members I have. Whether Junes death was intentional or not, I don't know that, only Stein knows. I believe I was wrong with my speculation, apologies to Junes husband for my assertions that he may have been involved. wai2.gif

Edited by Aninquisitivemind

<snip>

anyway, he had two years in his own home jail followed by another 9 in a Thai jail and he will probably end up quite ill at the end of it. After which he will be deported and lose all. Still a light sentence for a life.

More like 3 years in Phuket jail, leaving 6 more to serve. And some of these 6 will be back in Norway.

I also doubt it easy an accident, but think that to prove intent would be really difficult, apparently even impossible.

i dont beleive a word he is saying and i think he should have death penalty to do a thing like that

You were there..........?..................rolleyes.gif

Edited by theoldgit
Quote fixed
  • Like 1

<snip>

More like 3 years in Phuket jail, leaving 6 more to serve. And some of these 6 will be back in Norway.

Meanwhile the girl he hoiked down the stairs is ded & didn't even get the dignity of proper burial. Disgusting. What an animal.

He's got a good deal.

<snip>

Meanwhile the girl he hoiked down the stairs is ded & didn't even get the dignity of proper burial. Disgusting. What an animal.

He's got a good deal.

The legal system gave him that. No point blaming him for the lack of severity as the laws allowed him plead and get it reduced.

Thai justice system is broken.

<snip>

He's got a good deal.

The legal system gave him that. No point blaming him for the lack of severity as the laws allowed him plead and get it reduced.

Thai justice system is broken.

I only blame him for killing the girl and being a creep.

You arnt following me.

For the point in the argument you and I are having, his intent is irrelevant, I don't need to read your link I know what mens rea is. I am saying I already accept that he might of had NO INTENT to kill her but he still GOT PHYSICAL with a Sheila. Whether he just pushed her or did something else physical he still did that which makes him a 'Bully'. Is that clearer for you.

I understand the difference between murder and other killings....I'm not interested in that.

"I know what mens rea is." - "I understand the difference between murder and other killings....I'm not interested in that." - cheesy.gif

So, what are you interested in?

There's a very BIG difference between murder and manslaughter.

You arnt following me.

"I know what mens rea is." - "I understand the difference between murder and other killings....I'm not interested in that." - cheesy.gif

So, what are you interested in?

There's a very BIG difference between murder and manslaughter.

NKM,

I realise this is an Internet forum & we don't know each other but I am well aware of everything you are telling me. I spent 23 years Policing & was OIC of maa any investigations involving deaths & foul play. I understand everything exactly as you say it, far better than most.

My sole point is, it's a light sentence the court imposed, the guy got physical with a woman, a woman much smaller than himself, she didn't end up dead without that happening. He was a BULLY, simple as that.

Now whilst in the eyes of the law and the proofs to the offences will stipulate there's a big difference between Murder & Manslaughter (or perhaps other versions of death related offences in various countries) one thing that remains the same is the fact that the victim is deceased. DEAD. And that was due to an act committed by knucklehead, according to the prosecutor and the court.

IMO 9 years is very light for a death under these types of circumstances, however most likely not that dissimilar to other cases. The dead girl, her family,loved ones and friends all get a life sentence. This bully, as indicTed by livinginkata will be homebound and living the life in no time.

With a bit of luck he upsets someone inside and the dance on his skull.....bit of karma.

Stuffing the body of a girl in a bin and storing it under the house for a couple of years = Sicko !

Edited by neverdie