Phuket Body in Bin killer Stein Dokset sentenced to nine years

Jonathan Fairfield

"For the point of this argument his 'intent' was irrelevant." - ahhhh, no, his "intent" was totally relevant.

You may wish to avail yourself of the below link.

Intent is everything in cases like these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

"The guy was a bully." - what are you basing this on?

You arnt following me.

For the point in the argument you and I are having, his intent is irrelevant, I don't need to read your link I know what mens rea is. I am saying I already accept that he might of had NO INTENT to kill her but he still GOT PHYSICAL with a Sheila. Whether he just pushed her or did something else physical he still did that which makes him a 'Bully'. Is that clearer for you.

I understand the difference between murder and other killings....I'm not interested in that.

anyway, he had two years in his own home jail followed by another 9 in a Thai jail and he will probably end up quite ill at the end of it. After which he will be deported and lose all. Still a light sentence for a life.

"I know what mens rea is." - "I understand the difference between murder and other killings....I'm not interested in that." - cheesy.gif

So, what are you interested in?

There's a very BIG difference between murder and manslaughter.

NKM,

I realise this is an Internet forum & we don't know each other but I am well aware of everything you are telling me. I spent 23 years Policing & was OIC of maa any investigations involving deaths & foul play. I understand everything exactly as you say it, far better than most.

My sole point is, it's a light sentence the court imposed, the guy got physical with a woman, a woman much smaller than himself, she didn't end up dead without that happening. He was a BULLY, simple as that.

Now whilst in the eyes of the law and the proofs to the offences will stipulate there's a big difference between Murder & Manslaughter (or perhaps other versions of death related offences in various countries) one thing that remains the same is the fact that the victim is deceased. DEAD. And that was due to an act committed by knucklehead, according to the prosecutor and the court.

IMO 9 years is very light for a death under these types of circumstances, however most likely not that dissimilar to other cases. The dead girl, her family,loved ones and friends all get a life sentence. This bully, as indicTed by livinginkata will be homebound and living the life in no time.

With a bit of luck he upsets someone inside and the dance on his skull.....bit of karma.

Stuffing the body of a girl in a bin and storing it under the house for a couple of years = Sicko !

So, if we (me and you) were in a bar, anywhere on Phuket, and we had an argument over whether the football, or the cricket, should be on the tv in the bar, and the verbal became physical, and you punched me, causing me to fall down a few stairs, hit my head, and die.

Have you committed manslaughter, or murder?

If you told the police, "I wanted to kill the bastard." - then that's murder.

If you told the police, "I only punched him once. I never ment to kill him." - you "should" (allowing for corruption on Phuket) be charged with the lesser crime of manslaughter, or the Thai equivilent, because there was no "intent" to kill.

Look at this case, compared to the Aldhouse case. Seeking out a weapon (knife) - stalking the victim - ambushing the victim - stabbing the victim - he was charged with murder, and rightly so, despite saying he never meant to kill the victim.

So, now you have killed me, does that make you "a bully." Do you have a history of violence? Do you know if Doket has a history of violence, particularly, domestic violence? How can you label Dokset "a bully" - based on one incident?

Now, why shouldn't it be considered that the same scenario occurred in the Dokset case?

Sure, not ringing the police and disposing of the body tends to prove guilt, but focusing on just the incident alone, isn't it possible he may very well have not had the intent to kill her?

We must remember, the scenario I gave you, isn't uncommon. All around the world, on Friday and Saturday nights, the same thing happens.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...