Air Pollution Crisis In Chiang Mai

Kan Win

:o:D:D

http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=26623

Air pollution crisis in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI, Mar 22 (TNA) – The air pollution in this northern province of Chiang Mai now reaches a critical level, prompting the province's governor to ban outdoor burnings, while the number of patients suffering from lung cancer and other respiratory illnesses has been increasing in recent years.

Chiang Mai Governor Suwat Tantipipat imposed a burning ban in the province to reduce particle concentration in the air and cancer-causing substances.

According to a research, garbage and leaf burnings were the major cause of toxic fume, the governor said.

The Pollution Control Department has detected the level of fine particle pollutants as high as 200 micrograms per cubic meter, which is above the standard level of 120 micrograms per cubic metre.

Dust, soot, smog from forest fires, toxic fume from trash burns, and construction work in Muang district spoil the scenic view of Doi Suthep, or Suthep hill, one of the province's major landmark tourist destinations, Mr. Suwat said.

(Link to a Photo below by Kan Win)

According to the statistics of the Provincial Public Health Office, 704,800 people with respiratory diseases were recorded in 2003, rising from 487,213 cases in 1994.

The incidence of lung cancer was 138.87 per 100,000 population in 2002, rising from 64.96 per 100,000 population in 2001.

A leading academic recently pointed out that Chiang Mai is surrounded by mountains, and the pollution usually gets strapped in the valley; therefore people are caught unaware that they are prone to pollution-related danger.

The situation is not different from a frog being trapped in a deadly heating pan, said the academic .(TNA) --- E004 (E001)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kan Win:-

Photo taken last week Tuesday 16th March 2004.

http://www.pbase.com/image/27181390

many more on:-

www.pbase.com/win13

also please see this one Panda-ramic "Your Zoo".

http://www.pbase.com/image/27181677

Enjoy - Happy Days in your province - Dry as h*ll from Tak up to you all.Sorry to see it in this state, made me nearly cry, to see Thailand like this :D Thinking of all of you up there. Kan, well we are lucky we have water.........

Kan Win

:D

hi'

I took a look at your picture from Suthep and compared it with the one we took with our daughter 3 weeks ago and then I looked in some "old ones" ...

oh, yes it nearly made me cry too :D

let's say that some six or seven years ago, when the weather was clear, we could see

Lamphun :D

and I do remember, that when I first came here, a friend of mine took me up, it was a great day, and he told me the old legend of a Princess from Lamphun and a Price from Chiang Mai, it was about shooting an arrow from Suthep to Lamphun, expressing love and power ...

now, in our time we can't even see Lamphun or even guess that it's there :D

so often I smell plactic burning, just a piece to set the fire up ...

yesterday, I was in central airport with my daughter, when we went out, one guy was

staying in the cool inside his car in the parking lot, with the engine running for air-cond !

there is still a long way to go for Thai people to understand what pollution means :o

I'm thinking about moving out since I noticed that my daughter was far too much

sensitive to all this pollution. Frequent coughing, "cold", running nose and so on ...

how far do we need to be to feel safe from all this, and still stay around?

could Mae Rim be a good place? it's only 16k from town ...

you're right kan, Chiang Mai province has changed a lot and not for the best :D

francois

And the situation is going to get much much worse as the city expands, the numbers of vehicles increases and the attitudes of the rural folk living in villages ringing the city think it's a joke to worry about the smoke from burning leaves and plastic bags which shroud their villages morning and evening every day. It really is a sad, pitiful situation. Meanwhile the govt has big plans to expand polluting industries and even talks of a steel industry for Pracuap Khirikhan and Kanchanaburi. Polluting industries like petrochemicals and paper mills are slated for expansion as well as further cement expansion. Car sales are soaring and smoke belching vehicles choke the streets of Chaing Mai. The whole country is going downhill so fast environmentally and my plans to stay here long term really are looking a bit uncertain I must say. The place really is filthy and getting worse. What do you reckon?

Chiang Mai province has changed a lot and not for the best :D

francois

:D:D:D

Photo taken September 2002. Same place, same camera by my brother Mike who took these and I just stitched them up.

http://www.pbase.com/image/24214942

Very correct Francios - please take time to look at the difference 1 & 1/2 years make to Chiang Mai

:o

Photo taken September 2002. Same place, same camera by my brother Mike who took these and I just stitched them up.

Very correct Francios - please take time to look at the difference 1 & 1/2 years make to Chiang Mai

I've been coming to Chiang Mai for ten plus years and of that time, living here for six years. The air is smoky like this *every* year at the end of cool season/beginning of hot season. Not to make any excuses for the smoke that we can all do without but this is not a phenomena of the past couple of years. Once some rain arrives, it'll wash the particulates out of the air and you'll be able to see Doi Suthep again. :o

The air is smoky like this *every* year at the end of cool season/beginning of hot season.

Very true. And al;so true that a photo taken in September can not be compared to this time of year.

Edited by p1p

However I have never experienced such bad pollution as we are suffering this year and have never previously had to resort to an oxygen mask or medication, as has happened this year.

I suppose I am becoming too accustomed to the annual smoke-out because my feeling has been that the pollution doesn't seem as bad this year as it has in years past. :o

However I have never experienced such bad pollution as we are suffering this year and have never previously had to resort to an oxygen mask or medication, as has happened this year.

Yes, agreed. The last few years have been considerably worse than some years ago, and the yearly stats show that. In years past, the particulate level might have reached 200ppm a couple of times, but now it's pretty much a daily occurence, and seems to be over a much larger area than years past.... Also in years past, I don't remember coughing so much or feeling my eyes sting from the smoke.

Thank god for aircon. At home, I can breath freely with the filtered air. Just like when we lived in Bangkok, I feel aircon isn't a luxury- it's a health necessity in Chiang Mai, too now- at least during the dry season.

A few evenings ago, I was cruising north of San Sai, close to sunset. From a small hill I could observe a very small trash fire below, but the smoke had drifted out for at least a couple of kilometers, completely covering, at near ground level, at least a couple of square kilometers- and this from a VERY small trash fire. If you drive into the mountains at night, you can almost always see lines of flames snaking through the forests- and never a sign of these alleged fire crews that the Post writes about....The Chiang Mai governor has made some strong statements, but no action, it seems.

Can any long term CMers say HOW MANY MONTHS of the year it can be expected in CM to be hazy, smoky, dusty? I have been seriously looking into moving to CM, but have asthma, so now I wonder. I was recently there for 10 days in early February and noticed the heavy haze and obstructed views, but I imagine it got worse than that.

Can any long term CMers say HOW MANY MONTHS of the year it can be expected in CM to be hazy, smoky, dusty? I have been seriously looking into moving to CM, but have asthma, so now I wonder. I was recently there for 10 days in early February and noticed the heavy haze and obstructed views, but I imagine it got worse than that.

In my experience, the field/forest burning starts as soon as the ground is dry enough after the end of the rainy season, starting around the middle of December, on average...

It gradually gets worse and worse until around this time, and this lasts until shortly after the rains start, when it becomes to wet to burn anything...May is among the wettest months of the year, but often Songran can signal the beginning of the rains, and some blue skies...Once the rains start, everything is beautiful again for another 6 months or so....

Some idiot on my soi in Maerim built a new house last year and every morning he would light the days garbage on fire when he went off to work! His house must of cost 1 and a half mill but he didnt want to pay the 30 baht a month for garbage pickup! After a few days of this i would wait till he left and take the water hose and drench his burning plastic pile of crap.Ignorant bastard. He soon got the message and started to get his garbage picked up. As i write this my other next door neighbour is sweeping up her yard and will soon light the pile of leaves on fire. I never say anything to her as her husband is some big police guy and she is very nice to the token farang on the block always bringing me over some strange thai food for lunch as she knows my wife works all day.Most people living around here are great even though almost everyone of them are police! Except the guy whose fire i put out! I made sure of that first!

Doesn't hurt to bring it up? Why would Thailand be different in this sense than anywhere else? Just say you have a health problem that is aggrevated by burning leaves. Or even offer to pick them up yourself and dump them somewhere. (Your own garden must have leaves as well, could do it at the same time.)

Of course you don't go yelling at them to stop burning, but bring it up in a more Thai way (or dare I say it, civilized, constructive, common sense kind of way :o ) (Not saying that you aren't any of those of course)

Some foreigners seem to have this irrational fear of people in high places, or even common police folk!

Cheers,

Chanchao

Doesn't hurt to bring it up? Why would Thailand be different in this sense than anywhere else? Just say you have a health problem that is aggrevated by burning leaves. Or even offer to pick them up yourself and dump them somewhere. (Your own garden must have leaves as well, could do it at the same time.)

Those leaves can be recycled as compost.

Most people living around here are great even though almost everyone of them are police! Except the guy whose fire i put out! I made sure of that first!

With a moniker of 'chokrai' it might pay to be careful ! :o

I really enjoy living in Thailand, but I have to admit that the SONG TAEW's and TUK-TUK's have won! It is time to move away from Chiang Mai. The pollution is out of control. The complete absurdity is the public transport mess. For the sake of the people and tourism, I hope changes are made to clean up the city.

Black Lungs

In my neighbourhood (Thapae gate) It "snows" ashes every evening.

Does it happen in your neighbourhoods too ?

How weird...I've never seen that happen- And I've always dreamed of snow in CM! :o

I live 2 km's north of the Super, just off Mae Jo road...

North has most health problems

Poor air circulation, grass-burning blamed

CHIANGMAI: People in the North have the most health-related problems, despite the region's picturesque landscape, slow pace of life and clean mountain air, a report has found.

The National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) report, released yesterday as part of its evaluation of the 9th national development plan for the region, showed 24.5% of northern people have health problems, compared to 20.9% in Bangkok and a national average of 18.7% in 2003.

Respiratory problems come first, accounting for 36.9% of health problems, followed by muscle and bone problems, at 17.9 %, and digestive illness at 9.4%.

The number of mentally-ill patients in the North has doubled in five years from 419 cases for every 100,000 people in 1997, to 807 cases in 2002.

Chiang Mai has the most cases of mental illness, with 1,800 mental patients per 100,000 people, followed by 1,400 patients in Nakhon Sawan, and 1,000 each in Phrae, Nan and Lampang.

Most doctors and nurses are in the upper part of the region. Chiang Mai has the highest number of medical personnel with one doctor per 1,800 patients, while Kamphaeng Phet and Phetchabun have one doctor per 11,000 people each.

NESDB's northern office director Suraphan Junpicharn said poor air circulation, caused by the region's mountains and valleys, and grass-burning contributed to health problems.

However, Chairat Chetviroon, social activist from Phrae, linked the health problems to excessive use of pesticide and insecticide by northern farmers, particularly on orange orchards and sugarcane farms.

Strict regulations were needed to control pesticides, he said.

The North's happy family index is lower than other parts of the country, with divorce up and marriage registrations the lowest in the country.

The region's economy, the smallest in the country, has experienced little economic growth since the economic crisis.

Average household income increased slightly from 3,076 baht a month in 1998 to 3,340 baht in 2002 but was still below the national level of 4,446 baht.

The number of poor people, however, fell from 1.4 million in 2000 to 1.1 million people in 2002.

--Bangkok Post 2004-03-28

This is some really sad stuff. :D

Sad, because we know the issues, and the majority doesn't care and would rather torch their toxic plastic bottles than... :o woops, this is Thailand.

AT LAST, there has been a ban put on burnings; but will this law be promulgated effectively?

In the last month alone, I saw virtual brush fires along the Super Highway. Huge black swaths of land now lay under a sky has turned from blue to a matrix-like canopy of greenish brown.

I think it is common knowledge that the dry season is hazy and that Doi Suthep dissapears in Feb. We all will welcome the rains. Without referring to the newspaper: Several work-mates are ill, esp. Thai's who've moved from out of the region. I'd always thought it was becasue they were kii now; but perhaps they are just as "allergic" to pollution as the rest of the world. We all are up to a point. And then, we get cancer. Some are simply more susceptible than others esp. the kids.

Let's face it, a lot of Asia is polluted. The question might not be "Is it getting worse?" but more so "What can we do to help make it better?" You might call me a tree-hugging pig, but I'm saddened by devestating affect the pollution has on the trees along the tree road. Does anyone have news on the recent trimming? (By the way, AjaanJB, the air is just as bad in Saraphi (it's region wide); but welcome to the neighborhood nonetheless. At least what you'll be burning will smell much sweeter.)

Recently, I got wind of a plan to build a recycling plant in the region to battle this scourge. Any one got word of it? I personally would invest in such a project it's worthwhile for all of us.

Chiang Mai Governor Suwat Tantipipat imposed a burning ban in the province to reduce particle concentration in the air and cancer-causing substances.

Funny no one in Chiang Mai city, much less the province at large, appears to pay any attention whatsoever to this ban. On my street here in Chiang Mai I see at least three or four fires a day, rubbish and leaves.

This year seems to be the worst since I moved here in '97. I hear, though, that the main reason it's worse this year is that the excessive dryness has led to "natural" fires in the hills.

Holy Mazoly! What incredible air pollution today! Visibility on the road was no more than 200 meters (Mae Jo road and new ring road from Mae Jo rd to Mae Rim road) Some cars even had their lights on (2pm)....I live 4km from the base of Doi Suthep, and there was not even the faint outline visible that I see on other bad days....

Back to my air con...

Does anyone care?

:o:D:D

I care, that is why I posted it in the first place. I was there 16th March 2004.

Sorry for you all folks up there. It will be getting hotter soon. Note: Tak was 42c yesterday.

Kan should be hot and hotter anon as well, but we do have a Clean River (Kwae Yai) not like The Ping.

Kan Win,

What exactly is that picture of yours?

It's really too small to appreciate.

:D:D:D

The Bridge over the River Kwae (Kwai)

Do you mean my Aviatar ? If so, then it is from the Sound and Light Show in Kan. Not my own, but then again take look at some bigger pictures of mine during these shows. Have fun. Welcome to Thailand.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/sound_and_light

Thank you for asking.

Happy Days

:o

The Khwae River 'clean'? Are you kidding?

Sabai Jai

One has to assume that you are referring to Kwae Noi in Kan Province.

Kwae Noi is normally not too clean, which most tourist visit on the Disco’s Rafts. :D

However, this week-end 2-4th April, 2004, Kwae Yai was crystal clear. (We do have two rivers in Kan, by the same name as River Kwae). Which one did you refer to in your post, as it was not mentioned? :D

Both meet in the center of Kan Town (hang a left by the main Police station and go by the Gates Of Kan down the little hill and you Kan see them joining together) and that flows into the start of Meklong River which bypasses Bangers into the Sea.

But, sure there is a Tributary some 20 klicks up from down town Kan that during rainy season gushes out muddy water that mixes into the Kwae Yai and yes, then it is not clear and clean. Further up from there, the river and Srinakarin Reservoir CRYSTAL CLEAR each day of every year. Come and see it for yourselves. :o

As far as what is in the water chemically wise ( if that was what you were relating to) I have no idea !!!!!!!!!