Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport ready for international flights

webfact

Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport ready for international flights

PNECO580130001001201_30012015_032035.jpg

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT, 30 January 2015 (NNT) – The Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport has been upgraded into a customs airport and is prepared to receive international passengers for direct international flights.

The ministerial directive from the Ministry of Finance had pushed for the upgrade of Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport into a customs airport since 1 July 2014, according to the Governor of Nakhon Si Thammarat Peerasak Hinmuangkow.

This upgrade will be beneficial to the province, allowing the import and export of goods to be made directly at the airport’s customs service. The existence of a customs airport which will accommodate province's trade, investment, transport, and tourism.

International tourists on chartered flights can now land directly at the Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport, while the airport's area is now being enlarged from 2,100 meters to 3,000 meters. The extended runway will allow the accommodion of larger aircrafts. The expansion plan also includes an additional passenger terminal, said the Nakhon Si Thammarat Governor.

The Nakhon Si Thammarat Governor has said that the province's air transport demand has been steadily increasing with two airlines, Air Asia and Nok Air. Airlines fly along the Nakhon Si Thammarat - Bangkok route up to 10 flights daily.

He has said the new Thai Lion Air, also requests to operate in Nakhon Si Thammarat. Additional airline's operation in the province marks a good opportunity for the development and the convenience in accessibility of the province.

According to the information form the Department of Civil Aviation, there are 725,858 passengers arriving and departing at the Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport in 2012. This number has continued increasing to 950,133 in 2013, and 1,018,616 during the first 11 months of 2014.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-30 footer_n.gif

I remember when only Thai flew there with little prop planes that landed in the middle of the army golf course! saai.gif

Yes!

I remember being weighed on what looked like an old Victorian set of scales under a lean-to with my baggage before getting on the plane at the old army airport!

It will work if some one can coordinate and execute the smooth transition from the airport to Samui.

A complete package so there are no problems with luggage, bus, ferry. Just get on the flight in Bangkok and pick up your luggage in Samui, or on to your hotel.

Tourists will pay for this service and it will give them a better idea of normal Thai life as they will see a lot more on the Bus and Ferry.

What won't work is to plop them at Surat Airport and leave them to figure out how and where to go and what to do.

A smart company would set up this service and cater to there "Guests of The Kingdom".

Get the Samui Hotels involved, people will pay for these services, few Services are offered by the hotel on Samui.

No one seems to take care of the guest once they are checked in. They need some one like the annoying , happy go lucky person on a Cruse ship, who is always organizing things.

Most people would love this attention and direction, remember most Tourists are followers , not adventitious, organize things lead them and they will follow.

The quickest way to rune the whole thing is as most have done in the past. Take them to shops and areas where Touts screw them.

I see it every day with various vans, stopping at restaurants and see who will pay the highest commission to the driver.

It seems there is no service provided any more, like personal guides, you all know what I mean.

At the pier fighting over where the passenger will stay, ie what hotel. Don't we have a hotel association, they should have a representative at the airport to meet the Guests, before the Touts get to them, License and train these Thailand representatives to take care of tourists, agian 90% are followers, we just need to make sure they follow with out getting screwed.

Service, Service, Service none provided here or else where for that matter, unless 5star hotel.

No one seems to care , so they constantly bitch instead of doing something to help the situation!

• Like 1

It will work if some one can coordinate and execute the smooth transition from the airport to Samui.

A complete package so there are no problems with luggage, bus, ferry. Just get on the flight in Bangkok and pick up your luggage in Samui, or on to your hotel.

You mean like Nok Air and Air Asia's fly and ferry service? The only thing that they don't do is collect move the baggage for you but at least you have a single ticket from BKK to Samui via URT or NST (I did via URT last week).

The only problem is: there is absolutely ZERO demand for international flights to and from NST.....

reality check please whistling.gif

The plan, apparently, is to make it a cheaper and less restricted alternative to Samui airport. They already have a transfer service to Samui through Sichon which is being expanded. Surat airport, being a military airport, has to many restrictions hence the expansion of Nakhon Si airport. The planned/proposed airport for Donsak has been dropped. Now some of the budget and charter airlines are planning a Samui service through Nakhon. Extending the runway is going to allow much larger planes.

Also they want to push Khanom as tourist area.

There's also the fact that most of the oil/gas business has moved up to Thasala from Songkhla. It's a happening area.

To the fellow who talks about zero demand, we're not talking flights to Tokyo or London. More like KL and Singapore, much like Hatyai now.

• Like 2

Wow. Nakhon Si Thammarat to London.

Thai Airways are looking for new International Routes which are totally unprofitable. They are experts at this with their track record.

Seriously, what Airline could justify flying just 1 route internationally from to and from there!

On exception, Macau! Sin City.

There's also the fact that most of the oil/gas business has moved up to Thasala from Songkhla. It's a happening area.

To the fellow who talks about zero demand, we're not talking flights to Tokyo or London. More like KL and Singapore, much like Hatyai now.

yes right.....I don't know much about the oil/gas, but this helicopter base is always busy. Never saw once that there wasn't a heli in the air, considering what the heli-hour costs they must be busy.

As well the NOK airplanes are always full with people.

Seems NST gets the new hub in Hubcountry smile.png

The only problem is: there is absolutely ZERO demand for international flights to and from NST.....

I'd take international flights from Nakhon over anywhere else, and sure I'm not alone in that..

Do they still announce that the flight will be a Gate Nr. 1?

(there is no Gate Nr. 2).

Speak for yourself, I happen to live in NST and it would be so much better if I can miss out BKK.

Well you have Krabi.

That's not entirely accurate. NST is very popular with Malaysians who visit NST in bus loads as Pilgrims from all over Malaysia to visit the famous Buddha relic there. Air Asia could make a small fortune out this new development not least because bus journeys from Malaysia are tedious at best. I lived in NST for over a year recently and was surprised to see so many Malaysians going there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd take international flights from Nakhon over anywhere else, and sure I'm not alone in that..

They have 2 doors in departure lounge 1 & 2 biggrin.png

The plan, apparently, is to make it a cheaper and less restricted alternative to Samui airport. They already have a transfer service to Samui through Sichon which is being expanded. Surat airport, being a military airport, has to many restrictions hence the expansion of Nakhon Si airport. The planned/proposed airport for Donsak has been dropped. Now some of the budget and charter airlines are planning a Samui service through Nakhon. Extending the runway is going to allow much larger planes.

Cheers!!

Hey Sean,

What's new in NST?

Cheers,

Ajarn Ron

They have 2 doors in departure lounge 1 & 2 biggrin.png

Maybe 1 door for Nok and one for Air Asia?

I am sorry that Orient Thai doesn't fly anymore. I liked them, but from all people I spoke with, I was the only one.......I just like vintage things, cars, airplanes, etc....

• Like 1