Patong is dead.

hansgruber

Plenty of new premises on the third road that can be leased or bought, which means you pay no key  money

If you have a work permit and employ Thai Staff to do all the work you would normally do yourself you would  not pay tea money

If you have successful businesses why would you publicly tell other people so they can get on the band wagon and open the same business and ruin your business

Only a mug would give out that sort of information and only a mug would expect him to 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Plenty of new premises on the third road that can be leased or bought, which means you pay no key  money

If you have a work permit and employ Thai Staff to do all the work you would normally do yourself you would  not pay tea money

If you have successful businesses why would you publicly tell other people so they can get on the band wagon and open the same business and ruin your business

Only a mug would give out that sort of information and only a mug would expect him to 

Thats a good point, lots of people with successful businesses will not be advertising the fact. As soon as you do someone will copy or setup next door, owner puts the rent up, police want tea money etc.

12 hours ago, phuketjock said:

So now you are telling us it is one guy selling all these properties/businesses then? and why can't you name

him is he a dodgy dealer? or are you now telling us your information is from a property salesman because

everyone know how honest they are, so exactly where is your information coming from? If what you say has

any truth to it surely it would be the exact opposite he would want everyone to know who he is, how else could

he possibly expect to sell something by keeping it secret?? 

The only thing sad about this thread mate is that there is one poster who thinks he is so superior to all others

that his opinion is the only valid one and anyone else's opinion means nothing, unfortunately his opinion has no

factual or credible substance, only anonymous input from second hand sources. Just because someone claims

to be very good at something doesn't mean they are.............................the proof of the pudding etc,etc,.     

The only thing sad about this thread mate is that there is one poster who thinks he is so superior to all others that his opinion is the only valid one and anyone else's opinion means nothing,”

And there we have it, this is the crux of the matter (the green eyed monster) and would appear to be driving all of this drivel. I do seem to remember from another post where you commented on the fact that, “you do think you are good don’t you” or something to that effect, whereas that was never my intention, but you did ask for some background which I gave and even then you proceeded to niggle and ridicule me.

The information I gave you was correct and all the figures I posted previously were correct, along with the running of over 40 direct staff, servicing the needs of 140 bank branches and in the last year bringing in over $18 million worth of revenue, with expenses of $4.25 million, making a nice fat profit for the bank. I thereby stated my case that I knew what running a business was about and I stick with that.

However somehow that irks you, but then again that’s your problem not mine. And nowhere on this thread have I ever belittled or denigrated any other poster by attacking them as I try to deal with the post rather than go ad hominem.

The assumptions you’ve made in your post only follow-on from other assumptions you have made and they are totally incorrect as per usual. My business friend is not a dodgy dealer and has been around here for quite a few years and has a good reputation.

As for your statement about, “anyone else’s opinion means nothing”, well again something that you have gotten into your head, because that is simply not the case. All I do is simply state my point of view and state that which I see going on around me and state that which I am told by my business owning friends.

I have absolutely no axe to grind with anybody on here and that includes you, however that doesn’t seem to be the case as far as you are concerned, so why not drop it and get on with contributing to the thread in a meaningful way rather than attacking the poster.

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

With respect madmax2, I doubt that there are any businesses in Patong which are so "unique" that no one else has thought of them. In fact if the Thai way of doing business and the local grapevine have anything to do with it once a new shop/establishment opens up that seems to be different/doing well, then automatically others will open up nearby – – that's the way it's always been here in Patong and that's why you will see loads of pharmacies in close proximity (although a few of these seem to have disappeared of late). It's the same with beauty salons, hairdressers, massage parlours, foot massages, trinket sellers, food stalls, shops selling odds and ends and so on.

Stating one's business on a thread like this will not threaten its existence one iota.

Have had several nights recently (including last night) eating and drinking in Soi Sansabai (opposite the inland end of Bangla Rd)

and definitely the quietest we have ever seen it in low season for numbers.

If you took Chinese and Indian tourists out, there are very few tourists here.

Traffic driving around the island is quite pleasant with free flowing traffic most places.

Let's face it, Patong is not a particularly cheap holiday for most people and competition from many other destinations abound for the two week holiday maker and they are the people that spend money relatively freely.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

With respect madmax2, I doubt that there are any businesses in Patong which are so "unique" that no one else has thought of them. In fact if the Thai way of doing business and the local grapevine have anything to do with it once a new shop/establishment opens up that seems to be different/doing well, then automatically others will open up nearby – – that's the way it's always been here in Patong and that's why you will see loads of pharmacies in close proximity (although a few of these seem to have disappeared of late). It's the same with beauty salons, hairdressers, massage parlours, foot massages, trinket sellers, food stalls, shops selling odds and ends and so on.

Stating one's business on a thread like this will not threaten its existence one iota.

I have often asked my Thai wife why so many similar businesses cluster in the same area. Her logic is that potentential custemers go to that area and know that there is plenty of choice ...as in barganing power ... from the Thai point of view.

When I pose the opinion that maybe a new business should open in a new area without competition next door, she say ... how would anyone know where they are... Thai logic maybe wins .

17 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

<snip>

Let's face it, Patong is not a particularly cheap holiday for most people and competition from many other destinations abound for the two week holiday maker and they are the people that spend money relatively freely.

Not so sure I agree with that. We travel around Thailand and SE Asia on short 5 day holidays. For sure we don't skimp on hotel quality but even my Thai wife comments how expensive day to day street costs are compared with Patong. So I would challange that 'Patong is not a particulary cheap holiday' . Really depends on your life style and expectations.  

Enough of the flames (personal attacks) please.

Further contributions of such nature and there will be posting suspensions awarded.

/Edit: I have removed most of the argumentative and troll posts from the past 24 hours of this thread.

If I have missed any that you members still find offensive or inflammatory, please use the report function to bring it to the attention of online moderators.

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

None of the businesses you mention are unique in any way, some people have or know of unique business ventures but will not want them to become public knowledge, if they did become public knowledge they would no longer be unique or profitable and would soon attract copy cat businesses

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

None of the businesses you mention are unique in any way, some people have or know of unique business ventures but will not want them to become public knowledge, if they did become public knowledge they would no longer be unique or profitable and would soon attract copy cat businesses

True enough, but if they are already operating in sois near a main road, then they are fairly public knowledge surely!

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

"All the business’s are on Sois just off either side of Rat-U-thit rd". 

No-one.........part of your post number 2395!!

This is not an assumption then, this is what I was referring to.

then they are fairly public knowledge surely! "

Not a part of any of my posts.

Sorry for the readers of this thread if I have to refer to an earlier post, which thankfully has now been deleted, because it was full of inaccuracies and vitriol, however I feel I need to put the record straight for my own peace of mind. Let me address the points one by one: –

– I was not one of the "bankers" who used other people's money to bail out institutions, in fact my bank in New Zealand was a conservative bank and had nothing whatsoever to do with the financial shenanigans in Wall Street or its environs and no way did we entertain things like CDOs in our portfolios which were foisted upon unwary investors in other banks/countries.

– Just like any business unit (I ran a business unit, i.e. a business within a business) we were tasked with making a profit, which we did and legally so.

– And as for this, "I have many friends who would dearly love to meet people like you face to face to tell you how absolutely

disgusted they feel about the stress and upheaval you and your kind have caused in their lives". Well I and my team caused absolutely no stress and upheaval upon your friends lives, none whatsoever. We made our clients money.

– In fact if they had been invested in the funds which we were running for clients/customers, ever since 1997, when it first started, up until now they would have made money, and those statistics are available online. This includes going through the tech stock crash of 1999 and the GFC starting around 2007.

– Two entirely different scenarios with regards to banks and investing, which you clearly know nothing about. My clients/customers are happy and have not lost money, whilst others around the world may have done, but that's of no fault of mine.

– That's because I ran my business unit (read a business within a business but with all the same structure of a stand-alone business) well and ethically.

– Contrary to what you keep quoting and even though I didn't quote this, I never, repeat, I never personally made $2 billion or even $2 million for that matter, but the investment funds I put in place reached just under $2 billion before I retired. And as another poster (Karen Bravo I think it was) tried to apprise you, some folks are paid a salary for running that sort of businesses because it is within a banking environment and that was the case with me.

So sorry to disappoint you in respect of not bringing my millions/billions of dollars to Patong, but they just didn't exist and they never did, and I never said they did, this is just a figment of your misreading/assumptions.

And as for living in Nanai road, well I choose to live there because I live in an apartment owned by friends and whenever I go away they take care of it as well as my car and my motorbike and my post etc, and I couldn't hope for an easier life. Up to me as they say here.

Now here's a suggestion for you, rather than you keep aiming your vindictive posts at me (for whatever reason), why don't we call a truce and you can press the ignore button on me and I can press the ignore button on you and then we won't have to waste time going through all this crap.

44 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Sorry for the readers of this thread if I have to refer to an earlier post, which thankfully has now been deleted, because it was full of inaccuracies and vitriol, however I feel I need to put the record straight for my own peace of mind. Let me address the points one by one: –

– I was not one of the "bankers" who used other people's money to bail out institutions, in fact my bank in New Zealand was a conservative bank and had nothing whatsoever to do with the financial shenanigans in Wall Street or its environs and no way did we entertain things like CDOs in our portfolios which were foisted upon unwary investors in other banks/countries.

– Just like any business unit (I ran a business unit, i.e. a business within a business) we were tasked with making a profit, which we did and legally so.

– And as for this, "I have many friends who would dearly love to meet people like you face to face to tell you how absolutely

disgusted they feel about the stress and upheaval you and your kind have caused in their lives". Well I and my team caused absolutely no stress and upheaval upon your friends lives, none whatsoever. We made our clients money.

– In fact if they had been invested in the funds which we were running for clients/customers, ever since 1997, when it first started, up until now they would have made money, and those statistics are available online. This includes going through the tech stock crash of 1999 and the GFC starting around 2007.

– Two entirely different scenarios with regards to banks and investing, which you clearly know nothing about. My clients/customers are happy and have not lost money, whilst others around the world may have done, but that's of no fault of mine.

– That's because I ran my business unit (read a business within a business but with all the same structure of a stand-alone business) well and ethically.

– Contrary to what you keep quoting and even though I didn't quote this, I never, repeat, I never made $2 billion or even $2 million for that matter, but the investment funds I put in place reached just under $2 billion before I retired. And as another poster (Karen Bravo I think it was) tried to apprise you, some folks are paid a salary for running that sort of businesses because it is within a banking environment and that was the case with me.

So sorry to disappoint you in respect of not bringing my millions/billions of dollars to Patong, but they just didn't exist and they never did, and I never said they did, this is just a figment of your misreading/assumptions.

And as for living in Nanai road, well I choose to live there because I live in an apartment owned by friends and whenever I go away they take care of it as well as my car and my motorbike and my post etc, and I couldn't hope for an easier life. Up to me as they say here.

Now here's a suggestion for you, rather than you keep aiming your vindictive posts at me (for whatever reason), why don't we call a truce and you can press the ignore button on me and I can press the ignore button on you and then we won't have to waste time going through all this crap.

As I recall from your post # 2176.

"Well I did start up a business with $100k in seed capital and build into just under $2 billion in 7 years, including seeing

it through the "Tech stock crash" of 1999, so at least you are right about one thing! "

I struggle to find anything in this post that says it was not your money or your business lying by omission is still lying

From another of your posts on 28/5.

"Really not interested in putting up with your drivel anymore, so will press the ignore button on you."

Please feel free to do as you please but don't come on here telling porkies about what you said previously because as

you can clearly see it is all on record on this thread.

There is nothing vindictive about the truth, you just think it is because you disagree with others points of view, so to

you they must be wrong.

If you think that Patong is such a failure what are you doing here preaching your doom and gloom incessantly? you

are free to leave whenever you wish. I happen to like where I am living and it pisses me off when people like you who 

contribute little to the well being of the place continually put a downer on it.

Take your negativity back to where you came from please.

Press any button you like who the hell cares, I surely don't.

2 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I have requested mods to close this topic as gone way way off topic.

The thread does have some interesting information so I'd rather see the mods delete the personal bickering and bring it back on topic instead of closing it for everyone.

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

The thread does have some interesting information so I'd rather see the mods delete the personal bickering and bring it back on topic instead of closing it for everyone.

If the thread closes the info will not go away eisfeld it will still be

available for viewing should anyone wish to do so.

2 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

No ... now page 165. Time to close and start again. I am surprised it's gone on so long. Needs refreshing.

Archived