Patong is dead.

hansgruber

It's quiet everywhere.

Kata streets aren't bustling with people, I can even park at the orbortor car park without being hassled by a tuk tuk driver and still spaces to spare.

Roads are clogged with tour buses though spewing out diesel plumes of smoke.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come February it has become a bit busier again, due to flight prices being cheaper than in January. Also notice the tourists have less money to spend, eating and drinking in mom and pop stores, small Chang beer 55 Baht and Khao Pad 45 Baht.

Maybe people are finally realizing that the place is a s&%#hole! After years of being "the place to go" in Thailand, word is getting out about the horrible crime and general nastiness of that place. My last time there was my last time there. There are so many better places to go in Thailand.

The Russians are broke. As are the Americans, the Brits, the Chinese, and most everyone else. (Except for the Nordic nations).

The dollar is doing just fine. There is just nothing in Patong that has any interest for me. With the exception of beaches, everything I need and like is north of Bangkok. If I do want beaches, I head to Khao Lak. Much more relaxed.

David

The Russians are broke. As are the Americans, the Brits, the Chinese, and most everyone else. (Except for the Nordic nations).

The dollar is doing just fine. There is just nothing in Patong that has any interest for me. With the exception of beaches, everything I need and like is north of Bangkok. If I do want beaches, I head to Khao Lak. Much more relaxed.

David

People usually don't stay in Patong to "relax".

People usually don't stay in Patong to "relax".

Not so sure you can paint with such a broad statement. Some do holiday in Patong to relax as they just look at the holiday brochure and have no idea on the differences between say Patong/Kata/Karon/Kamala/Bang Tao/etc. The more knowledgeable know they can relax/party/whatever in Patong.

...low prices are one thing...

...but 'value for the dollar' is another....

...being gouged at every turn reduces 'good value' after a while....

...and then there is the treatment....and attitude......

...it all adds up.....besides the world economy....

...so many murders, beatings and 'suicides' this past year it seems.....

...and oftentimes it seems that the victims are somehow to blame......and the perpetrators get off scott-free......if ever caught at all....

...horror story after horror story...just walking down the street...or going out for a drink....God forbid you want to sing a karaoke song......

and yet Britain is the strongest economy in Europe, manufacturing and service industries picked up even more in January, house prices soaring etc and according to recent studies. Inflation 0.5% domestic growth 2.6%.. we're doing okay! Can't say the same for the other countries unfortunately but the UK is moving along

To the OP - I find the top level of Jungceylon always quiet in comparison to the rest of it - I'm not sure most people know there's even arcades/pool tables/bowling up there! Jungceylon is busy every day for shopping and eating.

It has been a quiet High Season compared to last year for obvious reasons, but it's not dead by any means.

Murican and I aint broke

Me too. The US is the bright spot in the world financial recovery. But the thing is that Americans are not a large percentage of tourists to Thailand in any case. About 10%.

Even the TAT shouldn't be able to deny that tourism is down

You STILL don't know these guys (and gurls....): They will readily report a fantastic increase for Dec.14 plus Jan.15 (2 months) combined figures over Jan.14 (one month) single figure...or some other cheap gimmick like this

incorrect info the BRITS are not broke another 2 years will prove your suppositions incorrect when the BRITS again will rule the waves and along with the CHINESE the money markets

Murican and I aint broke

Me too. The US is the bright spot in the world financial recovery. But the thing is that Americans are not a large percentage of tourists to Thailand in any case. About 10%.

And why do you suppose that US nationals are only 10% of tourists here (or whatever the low number really is)? Americans virtually created the Thai tourist industry as a result of the Vietnam War. Now Americans are unemployed, underemployed, or, if employed, get pitiful vacation time.

incorrect info the BRITS are not broke another 2 years will prove your suppositions incorrect when the BRITS again will rule the waves and along with the CHINESE the money markets

What are you smoking? While I agree China is taking over, the Brits are the poor step-child, once the hegemon of the world, the Brits are now the number 10 GDP country in the world based on PPP, and number 6 based on the economic fallacy of current prices.

http://knoema.com/nwnfkne/world-gdp-ranking-2014-data-and-charts

and yet Britain is the strongest economy in Europe, manufacturing and service industries picked up even more in January, house prices soaring etc and according to recent studies. Inflation 0.5% domestic growth 2.6%.. we're doing okay! Can't say the same for the other countries unfortunately but the UK is moving along

11.5 m Britons are jobless. 2.5 m of them actively seek employment. Many of those in work are part-timers who would gladly work longer hours. Both the manufacturing and construction sectors are still more than 10% below their 2008 peaks. The housing market is hot due to off-shore money and low interest rates, as low a 1.5%. A classic bubble is inflating. The "strength" of the economy is a delusion and the people know this.

Murican and I aint broke

And why do you suppose that US nationals are only 10% of tourists here (or whatever the low number really is)? Americans virtually created the Thai tourist industry as a result of the Vietnam War. Now Americans are unemployed, underemployed, or, if employed, get pitiful vacation time.

Guy are you serious?? Hahahahah your arguments are so wrongggggg.....

The reason Thailand does not have a big US tourist base is simple. The logistics of getting to Thailand are too difficult. Too far taking too much time and costing too much money. Many other cheap tropical places just south of our border.

And Americans did not creat the thai tourist industry. Where did you get that crazy idea?

Dont worry, America is just fine. There is an indicator of how well we are doing....its the amount of hate that TV people have anytime the word American in mentioned. And trust me its pretty damn high. :)

Even the TAT shouldn't be able to deny that tourism is down. Economical situation in Europe, Euro depreciating a lot, no more Russians. They're all complaining: taxi drivers, tour operators, you name it. Places where a room was hard to find last high season, you can have your pick now.

TAT will never admit rather might say they forecast 2 million tourists arrival by Chinese new year in Phuket.

Brits?...I’m not skint and neither are many of the quality Brit tourists I know that visit Lalaland. No Sir, I think there are many and varied reasons why folk are not going there...kop some of NKM’s sermons for the unfortunate low-down. Arh, the good old days... coffee1.gif

Quality Brit Tourists ???.......best joke giggle.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ..E V E R !!!

Brits?...I’m not skint and neither are many of the quality Brit tourists I know that visit Lalaland. No Sir, I think there are many and varied reasons why folk are not going there...kop some of NKM’s sermons for the unfortunate low-down. Arh, the good old days... coffee1.gif

Quality Brit Tourists ???.......best joke giggle.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ..E V E R !!!

You're French.........right?

11.5 m Britons are jobless. 2.5 m of them actively seek employment. Many of those in work are part-timers who would gladly work longer hours. Both the manufacturing and construction sectors are still more than 10% below their 2008 peaks. The housing market is hot due to off-shore money and low interest rates, as low a 1.5%. A classic bubble is inflating. The "strength" of the economy is a delusion and the people know this.

What decade are you living in? At this moment there are 1.97 million unemployed which equates to 5.8%, the lowest since 2008. Construction is the highest in 10 years mate, you're talking nonsense

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2618649/Housebuilders-enjoy-busiest-period-recession-sector-experiences-slowdown.html

Archived