Rubber Tree Plantation/ Cattle Rearing

Mobi

Well the land seems a good price whatever you do with it. I don't really know anything about rubber, it seems a loooooong wait fro your return to me, but would probaly suit someone who will move out here eventually or already has an income. There is a big big difference in seeing land in the wet and dry seasons, but you asked the questions and seemed happy with the replies.

Oh you don't actually have to kill the beef yourself :o

RC

It sounds pretty good. Good prices as long as there is water. But no one knows the land as well as you. If you get a chance get the soil tested. There may be a local agricultural unit that will test it. They should be able to tell you what is lacking in the soil and then you can buy the right fertilizer, just putting in fertilizer doesn't do the job. You may be able to plant something between the trees as the rubber is growing to have some income for the relatives. Maybe more yams. A little common sense goes a long ways. A lot of pinapple is mixed in with coconut trees down south. Get an understanding on drip systems for the delivery of water and fertilizer.

I don't think that hauling water in a truck will be economical unless its just to get some trees growing....as maintenance long term its almost assuredly not worth it. If the land is high then it is less likely to get irrigation water...if there is any available.....without irrigation water you are very limited in what you can grow year round...you'll have to time everything to the rains which is difficult and not so reliable which is why Isaan farmers often don't prosper.....maybe a well?

Well, we're going ahead and buying the 16 rai, to add to the 9 rai that the wife already owns. We will also enquire about more land in the area.

I can't see why delivering water by water truck would be that expensive. I assume we would hire the truck, but even if we bought a second hand vehicle. it wouldn't require much expensive maintenace would it?

Maybe more to the point is would we be able to take water from the rivers free of charge. Do people have water rights etc?

Any one have ideas on this? I'm just a towny. :o

Mobi,

16 rai would be 6400 trees. Each tree......say 10 litres per week? for 26 weeks......3 trucks twice per week? 500/800 Baht per truck? 39,000/62,400 Baht per year.......for 6/7 years until the trees produce. Sink a well, 50/80,000 Baht + electricity bill. Lay a drip feed system 15/20,000 Baht. The well will also add value to the property. Rough figures.

Regards

Mobi,

16 rai would be 6400 trees. Each tree......say 10 litres per week? for 26 weeks......3 trucks twice per week? 500/800 Baht per truck? 39,000/62,400 Baht per year.......for 6/7 years until the trees produce. Sink a well, 50/80,000 Baht + electricity bill. Lay a drip feed system 15/20,000 Baht. The well will also add value to the property. Rough figures.

Regards

Thanks for that teletiger. I will pass on your figures to my budding farmers.

A couple of things. At some point we will buy a 2nd hand pick up for general use out there, and maybe transport workers to the fields etc. Couldn't we also buy a large tank and make it double up as a water truck? Stupid idea? Yes, I guess - how do we get the tank on and off the pick up? Or maybe just buy a 2 nd hand water truck. If they ever finally solve the water problems in Pattaya (and I think they will), there may be loads going cheap.

The well idea sounds good though, I'll pass it on.

The other plantations in the area look quite healthy - and as far as I am aware they water them from trucks - there's certainly no irrigation systems. Maybe they don't water them as often as you suggest?

How much water does the yam crop require? Beacause that seems to be the predominant crop at the moment.

I reiterate I know nothing about this, so just treat me like a dumbo. :o

Mobi,

Regards

Are you talking aboutr rubber trees? If so, then at about 80 per rai, that comes in at about 1100 trees.

Even so It is still a time consuming process to water all these trees.

Up here in Chiang Rai we`re quite lucky, we don,t have to worry about watering the rubber trees.

Chang

Teletiger has some good points on costs. You sink a well or use a pond and do a drip system that you can also fertilize with. A little bit every day is better than a bunch once in a while. Water weights a lot and when you try to haul very much by truck it can result in high maintenance costs to the truck. If the workers don't secure the tank good enough to the truck or you get the water slopping around you can not only get damage but it can be a problem with safety. Had a lot of experience hauling water during forest fires and their can be a lot of problems.