What fruit is this?

breadfruit. good luck trying to eat it. pandanus tree. commercial pandanus drinks are ok. for a change. made from the leaves i think

It's not breadfruit, and it's not edible (by humans).

different segments of the english speaking world call lesser know objects different things. where i hail from that what it is called. may be spelled bredfruit i dont know as it was never a written thing always a spoken word from my youth but that is definitely how it is called

Edited by rabid old goat

It's a pandanus sp., but it's not breadfruit! Breadfruit has quite different leaves, and the fruit grows from the trunk or big branches. The fruit does look superficially like the picture, though. According to your wiki link, rabid old goat, screwpine is correct.

breadfruit. good luck trying to eat it. pandanus tree. commercial pandanus drinks are ok. for a change. made from the leaves i think

It's not breadfruit, and it's not edible (by humans).

different segments of the english speaking world call lesser know objects different things. where i hail from that what it is called. may be spelled bredfruit i dont know as it was never a written thing always a spoken word from my youth but that is definitely how it is called

No. It's not a language issue. Breadfruit is Artocarpus altilis. Pandanus is used for multiple species in the genus Pandanus.

And anyway it wouldn't make any sense to refer to the Pandanus fruit as "breadfruit" since it's not edible.

whatever. you i can call it what you like, i am still calling it breadfruit.biggrin.png

In your defence I guess you're an Aussie possibly from Queensland where this is a common sight on beaches.

Rightly or wrongly the locals call this fruit breadfruit as you say.

• Like 1