Terminal 2 at Don Mueang ready by August

Lite Beer

Terminal 2 at Don Mueang ready by August

Terminal 2 at Bangkok's Don Mueang airport should be ready for commercial operation in seven months following its renovation.

"From the progress we have observed so far, we are confident the terminal should be up and running by August," said Nirandra Theeranatsin, acting president of Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT).

The terminal, which will raise the airport's annual passenger-handling capacity by 62% from 30 million now, should be ready for a test run in June, he added.

Contractors and suppliers for the work have also offered assurances that they will meet contractual deadlines, said Mr Nirandra.

The cost of renovation, involving 60-70 contracts for more than 20 categories of work, will be held to about B2 billion baht, lower than the 3 billion projected earlier.

The renovation is eight months behind the schedule of last December after works were found to be more complicated.

The derelict terminal was abandoned in 2006 but briefly used to shelter about 800 victims of 2011's great flood.

The August launch is welcomed by airlines and travelling public because Terminal 1 traffic has surpassed capacity.

Last year, just under 21.6 million passengers passed through a terminal that was designed for a maximum of 18.5 million passengers.

The proliferation of low-cost carriers through Don Mueang, which serves as the country's hub for budget airlines, has pushed passenger traffic through the limit.

Passenger volume surged 30.8% last year, while aircraft movements rose 19.4% to 172,681, according to AoT figures.

Continued double-digit growth in passenger traffic through Don Mueang is expected this year as no-frills carriers expand their activities and demand grows for budget travel.

Terminal 2 will be a modern-day passenger terminal with amenities that today's passengers have come to expect.

It will be used for domestic passengers, while Terminal 1 will serve international travellers.

Terminal 1 will subsequently get a multi-billion-baht improvement.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-02

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread.

Does anyone know how the newly re-opened Terminal 2 will be used? Will they split airlines between the two terminals, or say have international in one and domestic in the other?

Curious to know how it will be set up

Thanks

When I go to T-1 (that's Terminal ONE) for a meet & greet, I park there at the T-2 vertical lot and take the stroll on to T-1. Often have to park up on a high floor as sure looks like lots of other people have the same idea. But it's still better than trying to park in the T-1's area.

Mac

When I go to T-1 (that's Terminal ONE) for a meet & greet, I park there at the T-2 vertical lot and take the stroll on to T-1. Often have to park up on a high floor as sure looks like lots of other people have the same idea. But it's still better than trying to park in the T-1's area.

Mac

That bloody stroll is more like a hike. That tunnel is like a furnace.

I tried that before - that car park was full - actually closed off . There was nowhere to park.

I've had the same experience. I would never go to Don Muang in my car expecting to park it and catch a flight. For picking up passengers the best thing is to go past the terminals and that car park and look for the cargo area - a wire mesh fence on the left and a block of shipping agents including DHL on your right. Although the kerb is painted red and white (presumably no parking allowed), just park up there on the left until your passenger phones you as he/she is exiting the baggage hall. There's a one-way system whereby you can get back round to the Arrivals doors, where your passenger should be waiting. I've done that twice and never had any hassle about waiting in that area.

I tried that before - that car park was full - actually closed off . There was nowhere to park.

Its a nightmare mate, you have to drive all the way down just after T2, there is level parking there. I needed a security guard and a 100 baht note to find it. My truck was parked up for 2 days with no problems and no charge other than the guards money.

Bumping this thread.

Does anyone know how the newly re-opened Terminal 2 will be used? Will they split airlines between the two terminals, or say have international in one and domestic in the other?

Curious to know how it will be set up

Thanks

The article said:

Terminal 2 will be a modern-day passenger terminal with amenities that today's passengers have come to expect.

It will be used for domestic passengers, while Terminal 1 will serve international travellers.

Terminal 1 will subsequently get a multi-billion-baht improvement.

All they have to do now is get Thai Airways to find another storage location for the planes taken out of service.

There was some recent murmuring about this, AOT wanted them shifted to other airports like U-Tapao.

Thai could also hurry up and sell the ones that have been marked for sale.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I know it is an old thread, but could not see any other newer thread.

Have used the new terminal 2 times.

Got to say, they seem to have managed to make a decent terminal.

Spacious, lots of food alternatives, shopping.

Except for the Chinese tourists smoking in the restrooms, but that is not the airport's fault.

Archived