Certified copies - best place in Sansai or mae Rim?

TravelerEastWest

Certified copies - best place in Sansai or mae Rim?

First, I know that for about $50 per notarization I can go to the American consulate.

I have a number of documents such as birth certificates, passports, drivers licenses etc so at $50 each it would be expensive.

I have heard that Thai law offices can notarize documents which would probably be cheaper, but any other ideas?

I went to check at the local amphur today just before noon and it was empty like a ghost town.

Thank you!

Thai government offices on road to Mae Rim do certifications of Thai documents, not expensive. First floor right next to the PP office.

Translations can be had at an private office nearby, headed toward town from the government office, pass the ring road about ?? 50 metere on the left. Signed: Translations. Recommended by the govt office staff. Not expensive.

Any ideas for certifications of non Thai documents in English?

The certified copy is signed by a person nominated by the person or agency asking for it.

So, who do you need to do the certification?

Apologies if I was not clear but in this case (and all cases that I have heard of) a certified copy is a copy certified by local authorities or those who are clearly authorized to do so. In this case a bank in Europe is asking for documents.

The American consulate is clearly authorized to notarize the documents but expensive when numerous copies are needed. I have used them in the past and it was easy effective. In Thailand I have heard that some lawyers can certify copies but I have not personally done this so I am not certain and not sure of the cost.

If a local amphur can certify copies it might be at a low price - again not sure.

Any ideas for certifications of non Thai documents in English?

The certified copy is signed by a person nominated by the person or agency asking for it.

So, who do you need to do the certification?

Apologies if I was not clear but in this case (and all cases that I have heard of) a certified copy is a copy certified by local authorities or those who are clearly authorized to do so. In this case a bank in Europe is asking for documents.

The American consulate is clearly authorized to notarize the documents but expensive when numerous copies are needed. I have used them in the past and it was easy effective. In Thailand I have heard that some lawyers can certify copies but I have not personally done this so I am not certain and not sure of the cost.

If a local amphur can certify copies it might be at a low price - again not sure.

Sometimes a lawyer is acceptable, other times it must be a government officer. So again, who do you need to do the certification? Perhaps should ask the bank what they require.

You need to be aware that any document that you may have notarized inside Thailand by any Thai attorney for a legal usage in the west may not be accepted if the western legal authorities are aware that Thailand is not a signature of the Apostle Convention Hauge Conference on Private International Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention .I personlat know of individuals that have had a document motorized in Thailand and having it rejected in a US Court or a UK court for this very reason. Documents that are to be used inside Thailand are ok to be notarized by a Thai attorney but for outside Thailand only your embassy or consulted is acceptable.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

You need to be aware that any document that you may have notarized inside Thailand by any Thai attorney for a legal usage in the west may not be accepted if the western legal authorities are aware that Thailand is not a signature of the Apostle Convention Hauge Conference on Private International Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention .I personlat know of individuals that have had a document motorized in Thailand and having it rejected in a US Court or a UK court for this very reason. Documents that are to be used inside Thailand are ok to be notarized by a Thai attorney but for outside Thailand only your embassy or consulted is acceptable.

What is acceptable is up to the party requesting the certification. There are occasions when embassy or counsel stamp is required but that is not always the case based on several experiences.

Right. Swiss banks for example, will not accept any "certification" by a Thai lawyer or government officer. But they will accept a notarized document that was notarized by a bonded, American Notary Public.

Edit: You will find that any "certified" document done in Thailand by a Thai lawyer or government officer is useless in Europe or North America. I'm sure the same applies in Australia, Japan, etc.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

Interesting information about Europe - thank you.

The certification is for a bank in Luxembourg not for legal/court purposes, only as ID.

The request was very vague as far as certification goes - more likely than not a Thai lawyer or Amphur official will be fine.

The question is where in Sansai or Mae Rim - and how much do they cost and the time needed to get the certification...

Right. Swiss banks for example, will not accept any "certification" by a Thai lawyer or government officer. But they will accept a notarized document that was notarized by a bonded, American Notary Public.

Edit: You will find that any "certified" document done in Thailand by a Thai lawyer or government officer is useless in Europe or North America. I'm sure the same applies in Australia, Japan, etc.

BTW. Do not get a notarization done in Canada as they did not sign this.w00t.gif

Edited by khwaibah

Sansai and Mae Rim are unlikely places to find what you are looking for,

Just go to the US Consul, it is cheap considering a Luxumburg bank account and they surely will be happy to pass the info onto IRS and Treasury.

Sansai and Mae Rim are unlikely places to find what you are looking for,

Just go to the US Consul, it is cheap considering a Luxumburg bank account and they surely will be happy to pass the info onto IRS and Treasury.

Dante99,

Thank you for trying to help but as mentioned earlier the American consulate is too expensive.

I will start looking again at local government offices and law offices.

Apologies if I was not clear this has nothing to do with a court case or opening an account etc. so any official looking notary etc will be fine.

I just went today to the mae rim govt office for the legalisation of my divorce certificate.

It had to be translated into Thai but that can be done by anyone.

The wife did mine.

So i just took the two documents and copy of my passport.

They charge 200bt per document to stamp it.

For me it was two documents for 400bt.

A big difference from the Bripoff Embassy who charged me 3080bt to confirm my decree absolute was genuine.......and then had the gaul to put a rider at thr bottom saying they have no jurisdiction on the legality of said document.

I just went today to the mae rim govt office for the legalisation of my divorce certificate.

The wife did mine.

A big difference from the Bripoff Embassy who charged me 3080bt to confirm my decree absolute was genuine.......and then had the gaul to put a rider at thr bottom saying they have no jurisdiction on the legality of said document.

Was that the Mae Rim Amphur office in the town of Mae Rim or the big offices of th e province of Chiang Mai on the road to Mae Rim?

Thanks for your reply.

Notarization is a scam. A document is other legitimate or it is not.

A stamp from a "Notary Public", what is that all about, really now

other than fleecing people with outrageous fees?

It's not a scam. It's about witnessing a person's signature by a licensed, bonded, Notary Public. Absolutely necessary in the event of a court case over a title deed/quitclaim deed or something. My friend is a Notary Public in the USA. In about 30 years he's been called into court 2 or 3 times and each time he remembered the face of the person whose signature was in question - once it was 10 years previous. The plaintiff/defense lawyers were grateful that he was a pro and could recall the person.

The wife did mine.

Was that the Mae Rim Amphur office in the town of Mae Rim or the big offices of th e province of Chiang Mai on the road to Mae Rim?

Thanks for your reply.

The big Govt offices along the road and just after the Lanna golf club.

Its the first office on the left when you go in through the main entrance.

• 1 month later...