Thai National Parks ordered to charge foreigners tenfold

webfact

So on this basis. if a Thai visits London, for example, and the cost to enter Madam Tassauds is £10 a Brit, should a Thai be charged £100 entry fee ? cheesy.gif

Dual pricing is illegal under English law,all foreigners and visitors,pay exactly the same prices,as an English person!

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The increase there and at other parks was made in response to an announcement from the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department that admission fees for foreigners should be made consistent throughout the country as of Sunday.. should read as.. admission fees for people should be made consistent throughout the country. Seriously is there any other country in the world where foreigners are required to pay more to visit an attraction than residents ??

Yes Vietnam does the same.

I will not visit any place that charges me more than anyone else. If anything I would expect a senior discount below the local price. Anything over that I will not pay.

I have started withholding giving tip in all but the most extreme situations. Trying to fit in with the culture.wai2.gif

Madagascar does also, in the national parks the entree fee for a local is 5000A, for a tourist its 25000

It's some time since I posted on this forum and it seems everybody nowadays ignores the facts of the situation and wants just score points or be sarcastic or generally have a moan.

I posted earlier and know one is interested in trying to resolve the actual situation

I hope this is not typical of forum contributors

It is typical unfortunately, look on any topic in the news and most in general and you will see that most are just on here to have a bash at Thailand and the Thai people.

I suspect in this instance that the national parks will be better of without them, if they even have any idea where they are, for they would only be looking for something to whinge about.

By the way... It doesn't seem that national parks are the attracting facilities in thailand... Less than a hundred... Makes u think what most people do come for...;)

This is rubbish My friends and I visit more than 100 times per year birdwatching just locally

By the way... It doesn't seem that national parks are the attracting facilities in thailand... Less than a hundred... Makes u think what most people do come for...;)

This is rubbish My friends and I visit more than 100 times per year birdwatching just locally[/quote

Good for ur friends, but if u would read the article that we are are referring to.. Than u will see they state its for that particular park less than a hundred a year... So, if u mean that they lie on their figure, than lets stop discussing meaningless topics

What a bunch of crying cheapskates. If you don't want to pay the price, don't go. It is common practice in the Western world to charge less for locals than for imports--even Disney does it.

Aaah...the apologists' favourite reference: Disneyland. Now I might be wrong, but the lower fees are for residents of the state (including people that work in the state). Also I don't think foreign nationals or people from the other 49 states pay 900% more. If I am wrong, I apologise and retract my statement.

When the weird announcements first started coming from this

government, it was a bit sad to see Thailand changing, and

not for the better. However now, they are becoming so bizarre

it is bordering on amusing...... So tourism is down , and you

jack up the prices to insult the remaining tourists . Always

thought that was an urban myth on Thai Visa, but I guess

not. I wonder what is next....I suppose anything a farang buys

is now fair game for the attitude of charging more because the

farangs are rich.

This is rubbish My friends and I visit more than 100 times per year birdwatching just locally[/quote

Good for ur friends, but if u would read the article that we are are referring to.. Than u will see they state its for that particular park less than a hundred a year... So, if u mean that they lie on their figure, than lets stop discussing meaningless topics

I have already posted about this inconsistency no one has reacted do the increased costs relate to all national parks or just the one mentioned

Read through about half the posts.

I'm guessing for all of those who said they won't go visit the National Parks after hearing of this rule, probably haven't gone anyway.

I do go to them.
I have now been to 70 of the 76 provinces, and we like to camp out every other night when traveling.
My wife likes cmping in the National Parks best, so, that's normally where we go.

I've found that the farang getting in with the Thai drivers licence works in about 70% of them.
It seems to be up to the head guy. But if you laugh and joke with the money guy, it usually works.
If you get mad, it doesn't.

By the way, there are wild animals in some of the parks.
We got false-charged by an elephant up in Nam Now in Issan a few years ago.
I've seen wild elephants at Pook-a-ding also.

Boars, monkeys, deer, elephants,......yes they are out there.
But, you guys will only see them in a book I imagine.

Many of the parks are well taken care of.
A lot of money is spent sweeping leaves, and dirt off of walkways, keeping restaurants and bungalows for rent open and clean.
But hardly any people using them.

I'm sure they don't make any profit.

But provide a lot of jobs.

Stay home folks. Please.
We will continue to enjoy the quiet and beautiful parks.

I'm guessing for all of those who said they won't go visit the National Parks after hearing of this rule, probably haven't gone anyway.

I do go to them.

I have now been to 70 of the 76 provinces, and we like to camp out every other night when traveling.

My wife likes cmping in the National Parks best, so, that's normally where we go.

I've found that the farang getting in with the Thai drivers licence works in about 70% of them.

It seems to be up to the head guy. But if you laugh and joke with the money guy, it usually works.

A lot of money is spent sweeping leaves, and dirt off of walkways, keeping restaurants and bungalows for rent open and clean.

Stay home folks. Please.

At last a wonderful true honest sensible post

Can't possibly be true they are not that stupid here are they!

"Additionally, Suwan predicted the increase would not affect the number of tourists who visit the park as fewer than 100 foreigners visited the park last year."

I was one of those 100 but I won't be going again - not at those prices.

I do go to them.

Stay home folks. Please.

So just accept the prejudice and discriminatory pricing?

Hmm, no, no, don't think I will.

Discrimination should always be exposed, chastised and mocked.

[quote name="LuckyLew" post="9023993"

You can count me out on visiting a national park ever again ... all double pricing rules me out

I'm with the "never again" crowd.

The omnipresent litter and general mismanagement have always been a disappointment anyway.

Not really even worth the Thai price.

I pay 5 to 10 times the Thai price, even though I make a Thai wage, pay taxes to the government that funds these parks, and hold a Thai driver's license.

The last dozen times or so I have visited national parks I brought along Thai visitors who had never been there before and paid their way as well.

Fine, let someone else do it--like the "quality" tourists that TAT is so infatuated about.

I do go to them.

Stay home folks. Please.

great go ahead and pay the xenophobic prices fool... good I hate Pseudo Thais the most

I do go to them.

Stay home folks. Please.

great go ahead and pay the xenophobic prices fool... good I hate Pseudo Thais the most

Comments like this are so sad and unfortunately make me angry......ow how the forums have depreciated during the 11 years since I joined

I do go to them.

Stay home folks. Please.

Would you like a list of all the wonders, wildlife and beautiful parks ive been through and anyone can go to for the same price or free in other places ? well done for noticing theres animals in them.

The parks may be nice n all that, Either I get in for the same price as the locals or dont go.Personally having been through most and always paying the same as a Thai imo they dont warrant x10 or x5 the price re the colour of of someones skin or where they come from.

Personally racism and xenophobia I wont support, my principles are worth far more to me than accepting that type of treatment.

Since I'm not sure I'm allowed to post a link to The Phuket News on here, this may give an answer to some :-

Google "Tax-paying foreigners not entitled to local price at National Parks" - Whilst mentioned in the above it applies nationally according to the spokesman.

(PS. Siam Paragon's Aquarium charged 900Baht for me (the foreigner) and about 400Baht for the Thai woman I was with. If anything the Thai price was about all it was worth to see.)

I do go to them.

Stay home folks. Please.

Comments like this are so sad and unfortunately make me angry......ow how the forums have depreciated during the 11 years since I joined

Indeed I concur as have the posters... go be "angry" elsewhere as here most of us hate discrimination and xenophobia

Since I'm not sure I'm allowed to post a link to The Phuket News on here, this may give an answer to some :-

Tax-paying foreigners not entitled to local price at National Parks

PHUKET: Foreigners who possess a valid work permit and pay tax to the Royal Thai Government through a Tax [payer] Identification Number (TIN) have no legal entitlement to the “local rate” at any of the National Parks throughout the kingdom, a National Parks tourism promotion officer has confirmed.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/tax-paying-foreigners-not-entitled-to-local-price-at-national-parks-50333.php#sthash.vTMx1mQQ.dpuf

Archived