What's the average income for white-collar Thai in Bangkok?

LetsTryThis

Difficult to answer as wages vary so dramatically. A English speaking manager working for a foreign company will make bucket loads more than a Thai speaking software developer or a government office worker. The engish speaker for a foreign company can make 50k per month but the government worker will likely be getting under 20k. The guys at 20k are a lot more common than those at 50 or 60, so I'd say that is closer to an 'average' in Bangkok. Unless you are only looking at managers or other higher end jobs.

Difficult to answer as wages vary so dramatically. A English speaking manager working for a foreign company will make bucket loads more than a Thai speaking software developer or a government office worker. The engish speaker for a foreign company can make 50k per month but the government worker will likely be getting under 20k. The guys at 20k are a lot more common than those at 50 or 60, so I'd say that is closer to an 'average' in Bangkok. Unless you are only looking at managers or other higher end jobs.

Gov jobs kinda throw a wrench in the discussion. B/c yeah, I know tons of Thais that have been working for the gov for years and are still hovering around 20K. And somehow the gov is able to sidestep the minimum wage, as many teachers, police officers, and other public servants start out at under 10K. That aside, salaries are definitely a bit higher than I initially suspected. I mean, someone's gotta be buying up all those condos they're building.

• Like 1

Gov jobs kinda throw a wrench in the discussion. B/c yeah, I know tons of Thais that have been working for the gov for years and are still hovering around 20K. And somehow the gov is able to sidestep the minimum wage, as many teachers, police officers, and other public servants start out at under 10K. That aside, salaries are definitely a bit higher than I initially suspected. I mean, someone's gotta be buying up all those condos they're building.

A lot of government workers I know have jobs or small businesses on the side and under the table.

I mean yeah, someone is buying up those condos. And look in the parking lot at a government office or school and it's usually filled with new cars.

A lot of government workers I know have jobs or small businesses on the side and under the table.

I mean yeah, someone is buying up those condos. And look in the parking lot at a government office or school and it's usually filled with new cars.

Isn't that a product of Yingluck's 'first-time car buyers' program? I see a lot of gov officials on the bus too.

Pennny pinching retirees, English teachers dont want to believe the fact that educated thais make decent money, they feel better thinking 15-20k salary is the norm just because they get paid peanuts. White collar workers make good money here, last girl I met works at KPMG, she pulls in 70-80k at least because her rent is 30k. I didnt ask her salary. But she probably even makes more than my guess. Went to her flat, very decent 1br fully serviced high end condo.

Amazing opportunities here for a decent English speaking educated local.

Just had a look at Adeccos report, its on par with my observation.

• Like 1

on top of that, i bet there are many small-to-medium business owners. From my recent extended trip to Jakarta, I noticed how well-off the small business owners are over there.

Of course all this pales in comparison to what you can make as a policeman in Thailand. Easily a few mil baht per year. Why bother with white collar jobs when brown collar work is so much more lucrative?

You can even become Prime minister----- and own a UK football team.....like our (Thai) home grown policeman.

--

The chart was interesting, I was in Bumrungrad Hospital 2 years ago & the nurse there told me her wage was just 18K a month, as usual the sometimes most important people are the lower paid ones.

Maybe some people remember, during the last election, PTP had a second wage related campaign promise in addition to their 300 baht per day minimum wage. That was a minimum wage of 15,000 baht per month for university graduates. This was aimed at Thai white collar workers, particularly those just graduating. Fluent English speakers working for big corporations are a tiny fraction of the population, and because of their skills are highly paid. The average, non English speaking Thai office worker has a low wage and would have to work a long time and rise high to get the kind of wages some people think are average here.