Cough-syrup Smuggler Nabbed At Don Muang

george

Cough-syrup smuggler nabbed

DON MUANG: An Indian national was arrested after arriving at Bangkok International Airport and charged with possessing illegal substances, an anti-narcotics officer said yesterday.

Rajesh Mishra, 32, was |arrested by waiting anti-narcotics agents with six pieces of luggage.

A search of the contents turned up 590 bottles of an unspecified drug, 320 packets of tobacco and 195 bottles of cough medicine containing codeine, a banned substance.

The items were estimated to be worth Bt95,000, anti-narcotics official Mahesak Pansanga said.

The cough medicine fetches Bt120 a bottle, Mahesak said.

The suspect was charged with possessing illegal substances with intent to sell and importing without a permit. He denied the charges. He and the seized items were turned over to investigators at the first precinct of the anti-narcotics police.

--The Nation 2004-03-23

DON MUANG: An Indian national was arrested after arriving at Bangkok International Airport and charged with possessing illegal substances, an anti-narcotics officer said yesterday.

Rajesh Mishra, 32, was |arrested by waiting anti-narcotics agents with six pieces of luggage.

A search of the contents turned up 590 bottles of an unspecified drug, 320 packets of tobacco and 195 bottles of cough medicine containing codeine, a banned substance.

The items were estimated to be worth Bt95,000, anti-narcotics official Mahesak Pansanga said.

The suspect was charged with possessing illegal substances with intent to sell and importing without a permit. He denied the charges. He and the seized items were turned over to investigators at the first precinct of the anti-narcotics police.

--The Nation 2004-03-23

Oh my my my. Goodness gracious :o Whoever put all that in my bag? My very word I'll kick his ass.

--The Nation 2004-03-23

Oh my my my. Goodness gracious :o Whoever put all that in my bag? My very word I'll kick his ass.

My dear dr., As usual , your response was clever, witty, and made me LOL. But, don't you think the man might need all that cough syrup after using all that tobacco?

--The Nation 2004-03-23

My dear dr., As usual , your response was clever, witty, and made me LOL. But, don't you think the man might need all that cough syrup after using all that tobacco?

That sounds a good defense to the cough medicine charge. The Tobacco charge might be trickier to beat, but you have an active and investigative mind. :D See what you can come up with Counsellor :D

A few years back, my ex-gf (who works in a hospital) brought back home a large bottle of cough syrup(yellowish) as I was coughing heavily. Whilst being far more effective than most other stuff I've tried, it also gives you a very relaxed feeling and would feel like one is walking on the moon. So, even after recovering totally within 2 days, I'll take a few tea-spoonfuls of it every once in a while until I finally finished up the bottle. I know, it's not right. But hard to resist. :o

A few years back, my ex-gf (who works in a hospital) brought back home a large bottle of cough syrup(yellowish) as I was coughing heavily. Whilst being far more effective than most other stuff I've tried, it also gives you a very relaxed feeling and would feel like one is walking on the moon. So, even after recovering totally within 2 days, I'll take a few tea-spoonfuls of it every once in a while until I finally finished up the bottle. I know, it's not right. But hard to resist. :o

It is time to sport yourself a six pack of cough syrup. :D

with 6 pieces of luggage too. I wonder what prompted Customs to turn him over :o The rattling bottles, the smell of 'baccy, or an Indian with 6 pieces of luggage.

All Indians have at least 6 suitcases, 18 if their wife is with them.

with 6 pieces of luggage too. I wonder what prompted Customs to turn him over  :o    The rattling bottles, the smell of 'baccy, or an Indian with 6 pieces of luggage.

All Indians have at least 6 suitcases, 18 if their wife is with them.

Goods for sale perhaps :D

• 4 weeks later...

One more Indian catched:

COUGH SYRUP: Indian man arrested at airport

BANGKOK: -- An Indian man was arrested on Friday for attempting to smuggle banned cough syrup into the country, police said yesterday.

Acting on a tip-off, anti-narcotics police intercepted Baldev Singh, 40, as he was passing through the "nothing to declare" customs channel at Bangkok International Airport.

He was carrying a large bag containing 127 bottles of cough syrup which contained codeine, police said.

The suspect had arrived on an Indian Airlines flight.

The arrest led police to discover and seize another 73 bottles of codeine-based cough syrup inside the airport compound. The seized items were worth a combined Bt30,000.

Singh was charged with attempting to smuggle the substances into the country with intent to sell.

Over the past two months, 1,100 bottles of codeine-based cough syrup have been seized, said Sublieutenant Senit Patanasiri, head of drug suppression at the Customs Department.

The item has been banned by the World Health Organisation but is secretly being produced in India, he said.

It is popular among youngsters as they can get "high" without registering traces of alcohol in their bodies.

One bottle of the syrup, which sells for Bt30 in India, fetches Bt400 in Thailand.

--The Nation 2004-04-18