BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Chicog

How to fix IP being revealed when using VPN

Interesting - and amazing just how many holes there are... and still to uncover.

I am running OS X and just tried the script given on the link above. I tried two different VPN services and three browsers. My real IP address was revealed using Chrome and Firefox on both VPN connections, but it was not revealed using Safari.

Using the fixes given in the link worked for both Chrome and Firefox and they no longer return my real IP address.

Thanks for the tip!

Edited by bubba

another option would be to use the TOR system with e.g. an email program, with encryption. you may also try to use Tails O.S.. It works from an USB stick uses the TOR system and leaves no traces on the computer used, it is ideal for safe use in internet-caffees.

• Like 2

you can use http://ipleak.net/ to test as well.

"

What is a "WebRTC leaks"?

WebRTC implement STUN (Session Traversal Utilities for Nat), a protocol that allows to discover the public IP address. To disable it:

• Google Chrome users: Add the WebRTC Block Extension from the Chrome Store.
  • Mozilla Firefox: Type about:config” in the address bar. Scroll down to “media.peerconnection.enabled”, double click to set it to false."

I am running OS X and just tried the script given on the link above. I tried two different VPN services and three browsers. My real IP address was revealed using Chrome and Firefox on both VPN connections, but it was not revealed using Safari.

Using the fixes given in the link worked for both Chrome and Firefox and they no longer return my real IP address.

Thanks for the tip!

I haven't tried it (yet), but as I understand it, unless a user has added WebRTC manually, the IP leak doesn't occur with IE either. By all means, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The mentioned test does not reveal my real IP address.

I am now on a Japanese VPN server (CyberGhost VPN).

Your local IP addresses:

Your public IP addresses:

• 161.202.xx.xx

161.202... is the Japanese server.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Back on my real IP. Starting with 101.108....

Your local IP addresses:

Your public IP addresses:

• 101.108.xx.xx

So I am not exposed to the problem.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Used the test in the first post and it showed my real IP as 192.168.0.100

This is what a search of that IP brings up

Definition: 192.168.0.100 is an IP address used relatively infrequently on home networks. Certain few models of broadband router have 192.168.0.100 as their own default address, while on other local networks a router can be configured to issue it to client devices.

So is that good or bad? Its not showing I am in Thailand

I use a VPN service called Anonymizer Universal. So far, it's bulletproof. Of course it's not free.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip!

I haven't tried it (yet), but as I understand it, unless a user has added WebRTC manually, the IP leak doesn't occur with IE either. By all means, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just tried it without the VPN on using IE11 and nothing shows for me either.

However in Chrome it does?

Cannot try VPN as it has decided to stop working - a free version.........

Used the test in the first post and it showed my real IP as 192.168.0.100

This is what a search of that IP brings up

Definition: 192.168.0.100 is an IP address used relatively infrequently on home networks. Certain few models of broadband router have 192.168.0.100 as their own default address, while on other local networks a router can be configured to issue it to client devices.

So is that good or bad? Its not showing I am in Thailand

Real IP 192.168.xx.xx as a real (-> public) IP is a nonsense result (by the tool/test).

Its an internal address that your router uses.

In a way its not "bad" if the test shows a private address as "real"/public.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

BUT!

ZenMate addon for Chrome fails the test.

The test reveals my real IP address instead of some "London" address, while at the same time the usual whatsmyip tests show the "London" address.

Good stuff. 5 stars!

I wonder about my torrent ip. This (checkmytorrentip.com) stopped working some time ago.

Edited by bendejo

I know my answer is not totally related to the IP issue being revealed, but is a good pratice to have the measure bellow fully working, otherwise change your IP from the internet is not enough, since you can be reached by your DNS leak.!

Be careful with DNS leak, you can always change your DNS by a public one, do not use your ISP DNS otherwise your location can be revealed easily. For a more safe approach you change the DNS in your machine and also in the router (the place where you should configure the ISP DNS).

For example: if you are using modem ADSL cable, then you need to access it and chage the DNS option there, unless you are using a modem+router (one device). The most important configuration to edit is located under LAN -> DHCP Server Config. look for Primary DNS server and Secondary DNS server then edit this information with your own DNS server or a public one like OpenDNS or Google Open DNS as you wish.

After that put the interface down and put it up again, then check your dns leak here -> ipleak dot net or dnsleaktest dot com or any other of your preference.

Then if you want to use TOR go for it... but I do not recommend, is preferable to use chained vpn than tor. (but this you need to figure out by yourself)

Good Luck!

Edited by deepcell