Do Thailand calculate age differently?

cjchaos

On my sons Thai birth certificate it says age of father:27.

I was only 26 and 11 months at the time it was made.

Everything else like my name is right, just I don't know their method of calculating I was 27.

Can anybody shed light on this for me please?

Edited by cjchaos

Correct, Thais calculate to your next birthday , so you are in reality in your "27th" year! Another reason for checking ID cards of Thais !

Is it possible it is nearest birthday? since the mothers age was from her birthday a couple of months previous. It said 29 and she was 29 and 2 months. For her it was not her next birthday.

• Like 1

No on a day to day basis.

But there is the concept of being that age if you become that age in that year.

For instance, you become exempt from army duty in the year that you turn 30.

So if you don't turn 30 till the last day of the year, for the purposes of conscription day in April, you are scott free.

On my sons Thai birth certificate it says age of father:27.

I was only 26 and 11 months at the time it was made.

Everything else like my name is right, just I don't know their method of calculating I was 27.

Can anybody shed light on this for me please?

Why would care about some thing like that

whistling.gif It is not a rule, but many Thai/Chinese calculate a childs age to include the 9 months the child was in his or her mother's womb.

So a woman may say she is 21 years old, which can mean she is only 20 years old if you go by date of birth as a westerner would.

She would be adding 1 year for the "year" her mother carried her in the womb before she was born.

I first saw this custom many years ago in Vietnam, with a Vietnamese/Chinese family.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

• 3 years later...
On 2/6/2015 at 1:19 PM, IMA_FARANG said:

whistling.gif It is not a rule, but many Thai/Chinese calculate a childs age to include the 9 months the child was in his or her mother's womb.

So a woman may say she is 21 years old, which can mean she is only 20 years old if you go by date of birth as a westerner would.

She would be adding 1 year for the "year" her mother carried her in the womb before she was born.

I first saw this custom many years ago in Vietnam, with a Vietnamese/Chinese family.

In some circumstances in Vietnam everybody's age jumps one year at midnight 31 Dec every year.

• 2 years later...