Benelli TNT300s

jchfriis

If you plan to keep your bike for very very long, I'd suggest at looking for something with proven reliability.

If that is your criteria, no one would buy a Ducati, MV Agusta ... I could go on.

Want something that lasts a long time - buy a HD, or a Honda Cub 50 or 90 ...

Triumph Bonneville (pre unit), Norton Commando ...

All still on the road for over 50 years.

Never seen an old Ducati - except in a museum or a Sunday ride in the sunshine. Honda CB750 getting close.

I buy bikes with my heart, not with my head.

And the ability to fix it myself - not having to rely on some adolescent zit-picker with a laptop.

Relatively speaking, the chineese POS will have a lot shorter life span than the Honda, for example.

I had hoped this would not turn into a Chinese bashing. I've got a fantastic Olympus OMD-EM10 "POS" made in China, designed in Japan, an iPhone "POS" made in China, designed in California, various other Apple products all made in China and I'm sure if we look around at our cherished possessions we can find many more examples. Tata (India) owns Jaguar and Land Rover and Volvo is owned by a Chinese company, all premium brands. If the Chinese can rescue the traditions of a great brand like Benelli, all the more kudos to them, and maybe a motorcycle designed in Italy and made in China is not any lower quality than a motorcycle designed in Japan and made in Thail.

I have just read up on the history of Benelli mmmm...and maybe you have a point, so I guess I should wait and see, one question.

Does the bike feel like an "Italian", because in my view that matters a lot? I had a Boxer engine'd Alfa years back and when I drove it, it always had my pulse racing....oddly enough it was ultra reliable too.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AllanB , i tour Europe - solo camping - most years on a Factory Aprilia RSV 1000 race bike. I do up to 12,000 each year. .Never had a problem. I also own a Benelli , i was at their centenary in Pesaro 2011 , but that bike has never been riden , so i cant comment on reliability !. Ive only sat on and inspected the TNT 300 so far , but yes , it does feel special , if that makes sense. Like your Alfa. Only the big Benelli,s are still made in Northan Italy , but all bikes are designed there , with style and passion . Thats what i think this silly biking hobby is all about - passion. The 600,s and 300,s are created on American and German machinery , under supervision , in China , but not at the same factory as Keeway which is also owned by the massive QJ company that is involved in many engineering companies.Servicing centers wont be as common as say Honda , but neither will the bike. Lets be honest , the Honda isnt a bad bike , but its still built to a budget same as everything. For a similar price i would rather have an eye-catching Italian beauty than a common same old same old. Its all about individual choice and taste.

What bothers me about these Chinese bikes threads is that the arguments made on both sides come from subjective factors.

The Chinese lack QC! The bike has an Italian pedigree! Blah, blah, blah.

Let's consider objective facts. Low cost competition forces established forces to reconsider their positions. Honda's CBR250 did that to Kawasaki. They brought out the excellent 300 as well as a reasonably priced 250 single (with abs!). Would Kawasaki have done that without Honda? Correlation does not imply casuality, but sure looks that way. What about Kawasaki bringing out their 650s, then that Chinese inline 4....wasn't long after that Honda brought out their 650 inline four series.

So let the new models come. Hope that they spur innovation in your favourite brands that lead to more, better, cost effective models for US!

And btw, I wouldn't buy one of these bikes (I believe the stereotypes), but will provide information to all who are considering it so they can make an informed choice. After all, if we all jumped ship to the cheaper stuff, how would the established manufacturers fund development?

I am old enough to remember when everyone was saying that the stuff coming from Japan was crap. Early 1960s mainly. Now many people talk about the Chinese stuff the same way. I have many things that were made in China and the majority of these items are first quality. Not junk. I have no doubt that the "haters of all things made in China" also have many things made in China that they are perfectly happy with.

That being said, my Keeway TXM200 is a very nice bike with a very nice finish and has given me no problems at all. I ride it very hard and broke it in hard. Keeway is a subsidiary of Benelli.

If you plan to keep your bike for very very long, I'd suggest at looking for something with proven reliability.

If that is your criteria, no one would buy a Ducati, MV Agusta ... I could go on.

Want something that lasts a long time - buy a HD, or a Honda Cub 50 or 90 ...

Triumph Bonneville (pre unit), Norton Commando ...

All still on the road for over 50 years.

Never seen an old Ducati - except in a museum or a Sunday ride in the sunshine. Honda CB750 getting close.

I buy bikes with my heart, not with my head.

And the ability to fix it myself - not having to rely on some adolescent zit-picker with a laptop.

Relatively speaking, the chineese POS will have a lot shorter life span than the Honda, for example.

I had hoped this would not turn into a Chinese bashing. I've got a fantastic Olympus OMD-EM10 "POS" made in China, designed in Japan, an iPhone "POS" made in China, designed in California, various other Apple products all made in China and I'm sure if we look around at our cherished possessions we can find many more examples. Tata (India) owns Jaguar and Land Rover and Volvo is owned by a Chinese company, all premium brands. If the Chinese can rescue the traditions of a great brand like Benelli, all the more kudos to them, and maybe a motorcycle designed in Italy and made in China is not any lower quality than a motorcycle designed in Japan and made in Thailand.

yeah maybe and maybe.

I dont like maybes or dont want to fork out my money to maybes too. Nobody is bashing anything here but just expressing our humble opinions.

And i am sure a Japanese or American product is better quality than a Chinese one just bc countries like Japan or USA has centuries of industrial evolution and standards.

That Olympus is a Japanese product and iphone is American.

They are made in China but under certain Japanese or American standards. Parts etc they use have certain standards as well.

But for Benelli - or shall we say Keeway -, what type of standards they have? Italian or Chinese - funny both are well known for their low reliability levels.

Moreover, its price is also expensive at 140 k thb. Again, If they sell it at 90 k thb or at least less than 100 k thb, i am sure there should be many people buy it.

And if someone here wants to buy it, please just go buy, no problems. This way you can write a review here but noone is buying a Benelli here somehow!

Speaking of upside down forks and being old, am I the only one who remembers in the early-mid 60's (I think) when motocross bikes had the super high tech upside down forks, with the slider on the bottom, for extra rigidity and blah blah blah. All bikes at that time had pogo style sliders at the top, tubes at the bottom.

Now any bike with the sliders at the bottom is an ancient piece of junk, and all the cool bikes have the sliders at the top for "upside down" forks.

Upside down is now right side up!

For extra rigidity and blah blah blah.

Sheeesh

If someone wants to compare the phones, compare your IPhone to truly Chinese phone like iPhone copy or an Oppo or something, then tell us about its quality.

Japan has improved in everything from the 60s and China is still a banana country with the exception of some larger cities.

I am old enough to remember when everyone was saying that the stuff coming from Japan was crap. Early 1960s mainly. Now many people talk about the Chinese stuff the same way. I have many things that were made in China and the majority of these items are first quality. Not junk. I have no doubt that the "haters of all things made in China" also have many things made in China that they are perfectly happy with.

That being said, my Keeway TXM200 is a very nice bike with a very nice finish and has given me no problems at all. I ride it very hard and broke it in hard. Keeway is a subsidiary of Benelli.

But the history of both countries is very different. If you listen to interviews with the Japanese Motogp bike engineers, they talk about the restrictions to certain engineering i.e. aerospace industry after WW2, that resulted in some of the best engineers going into the automotive industry along with investment. One of them talks about how riding race bikes is the closest experience to flying a plane. The brains and passion went into motorbikes.

You look at the some of the bikes the Japs were making in the 60s like the Honda RC166, an engineering and design masterpiece. Sorry to say, but the Japs are innovators when it comes to motorbikes, the Chinese are not.

In terms of this thread I don't think the comparison between China and Japan is relevant, in saying Jap stuff was crap for X numbers of years and then they got better.

Japan copied designs (even defied patents) from other countries and improved the product on their own until they became as good as the real thing, then eventually better. They made such progress because all of their development money was spent on production improvements, and of course cheap and a obedient labour force.

The Chinese have come down a different path, making stuff for other country's companies and then making their own versions. They didn't need to steal ideas from the west, we gave it to them and like.

That leads us to a question of whether this bike is an Italian bike made in a foreign factory, or whether it is a Chinese bike masquerading as an Italian.

But, as someone said biking is all about passion when it comes to bikes of this size, if not we would all come to our senses and buy a car. Undoubtedly all the Jap competition is as boring as watching paint dry, so it this does have something about it, as with my Alfa, it will be something worth considering.

I took a big risk choosing the Alfa as a company car during the mid 1980's and it really paid off, ever minute behind the wheel was a joy to behold, I am tempted to do the same again, if some of the magic is there with this.

Shurup, on 07 Feb 2015 - 17:15, said:

Not saying it's a bad bike but agree with the earlier comment that it should be cheaper, coming from China.

Actually the Honda should be cheaper, coming from Lat Krabang, Bangkok.

OK... if you think a Thai assembled (Jap designed) brand name bike should cost less than the Chinese...

Shurup, on 07 Feb 2015 - 18:35, said:
Andrew Hastings, on 07 Feb 2015 - 18:12, said:
Shurup, on 07 Feb 2015 - 17:15, said:Shurup, on 07 Feb 2015 - 17:15, said:

Not saying it's a bad bike but agree with the earlier comment that it should be cheaper, coming from China.

OK... if you think a Thai assembled (Jap designed) brand name bike should cost less than the Chinese...

Actually it was a bit of a play on terms.

I presume that you mean the Benelli should be cheaper because it built in China, ie, meaning inferior.

I mean that the Honda should be cheaper because it is assembled (produced) a few km down the road. Just look at the global prices to see that Honda in other markets half way around the World sell it for almost the exact same price.... after shipping and taxes are applied. Price gouging by Thai Honda. not pleasant for their customers.

So yes, the Honda should be cheaper than it is sold for here.

But okay, you think that a Thai assembled bike, assembled from Chinese parts - pls list the parts and where they are assembled (with evidence of such) if you disagree, should be more expensive than a bike assembled in China with Chinese parts (both assembled under Western/Japanese guidance), in Thailand.

I personally don't put such faith in the hands of Thai competence.

but to go back to the price, perhaps people should be questioning Thai Honda about their poor pricing structure.... why are they selling their product for almost the same as regions such as America and Europe when the product is produced in Bangkok and they have to pay no shipping and no taxes.

Shurup, on 07 Feb 2015 - 18:35, said:
Andrew Hastings, on 07 Feb 2015 - 18:12, said:
Shurup, on 07 Feb 2015 - 17:15, said:Shurup, on 07 Feb 2015 - 17:15, said:

I presume that you mean the Benelli should be cheaper because it built in China, ie, meaning inferior.

I mean that the Honda should be cheaper because it is assembled (produced) a few km down the road. Just look at the global prices to see that Honda in other markets half way around the World sell it for almost the exact same price.... after shipping and taxes are applied. Price gouging by Thai Honda. not pleasant for their customers.

But okay, you think that a Thai assembled bike, assembled from Chinese parts - pls list the parts and where they are assembled (with evidence of such) if you disagree, should be more expensive than a bike assembled in China with Chinese parts (both assembled under Western/Japanese guidance), in Thailand.

but to go back to the price, perhaps people should be questioning Thai Honda about their poor pricing structure.... why are they selling their product for almost the same as regions such as America and Europe when the product is produced in Bangkok and they have to pay no shipping and no taxes.

honda made in thailand bikes are cheap here and also prices at each country depend on the tax.

there are many factors that makes a bike cheaper or more expensive. r&d, labor, quality of parts, standards, power rates in that specific country etc. not only where they are made.

and dont have faith in the hands of Thai competence yet both your bikes are made in Thailand by Thai people. maybe you do a bit then? be honest to yourself.

if honda can sell better quality bikes at similar prices with Benelli, i wonder who is gauging the prices?smile.png

The Thai pricing structure for locally assembled bikes is what it is. Yes is not fair, comparing to US market, but we aren't in US. The imported bikes and cars are even worse (with up to 300% import tax) but it is what it is, take it or leave it.
Yes local manufacturers are making fat profits but such are local market prices, if their product is sold then why sell it for less? Again, can't compare to the US prices, but within this local market, Chinese bikes were always cheaper due to the inferior quality and performance. They were only selling because they were cheap. Some people couldn't afford to pay for a brand name bike, others buy it, play with it till it falls apart and throw it away, but the price was the only incentive.
And here we have a Chinese bike for as much as the brand name one?? Maybe, just maybe it's that good, maybe not. I don't want to find out and I would advise others to spend their hard earned money on something proven (at this price).

Why is it only you and richardbkk that insists that Honda makes bikes here in Thailand from parts from China?

I don't know where the parts come from, but your assertion that they do come from China and then a challenge to prove you wrong is odd....

ll2, on 07 Feb 2015 - 20:19, said:
Andrew Hastings, on 07 Feb 2015 - 19:07, said:
Shurup, on 07 Feb 2015 - 18:35, said:Shurup, on 07 Feb 2015 - 18:35, said:
Andrew Hastings, on 07 Feb 2015 - 18:12, said:Andrew Hastings, on 07 Feb 2015 - 18:12, said:

honda made in thailand bikes are cheap here

'Cheap' is subjective.

Compare the price to Honda in other regions, after they ship the product and pay import duty and taxes, and Thai Honda products are not cheap here.

"and dont have faith in the hands of Thai competence yet both your bikes are made in Thailand by Thai people. maybe you do a bit then? be honest to yourself."

I am perfectly honest with myself. I cannot trust the Honda dealerships here to even put air in the tires correctly. laugh.png

I bought two toys at reasonable prices. 60k for the Honda and 135k for the Kawasaki. Cheap and cheerful. Nothing else really.

if honda can sell better quality bikes at similar prices with Benelli, i wonder who is gauging the prices?

Where are you getting your better quality info from? Can you show links and info for unreliabilty with Benelli since they began their revival with these bikes compared to Thai made Hondas?

I have seen that most (or mnay at least) of Honda's Thai made products have required recalls and whatnot over issues with parts failing.

I'm not on anyone's bandwagon, but I don't consider Thai manufactuing and production to be above Chinese in anyway whatsoever.

The Benelli is a great looking little bike, with better parts than their competition. :)

dave_boo, on 07 Feb 2015 - 20:41, said:
Andrew Hastings, on 07 Feb 2015 - 19:07, said:

Why is it only you and richardbkk that insists that Honda makes bikes here in Thailand from parts from China?

I don't know where the parts come from, but your assertion that they do come from China and then a challenge to prove you wrong is odd....

I don't know who the poster Richard is, but I like to throw down a gauntlet when people make statement I believe they cannot back up, especially when I think they don't even know themselves. biggrin.png

People say that parts of the CBR aren't manufactured in China, okay, then prove it, tell us all where every part is made with a link to your source.

If people cannot, then they are talking out of their a$$ because they don't know. biggrin.png

It is reasonable to presume that many parts are. So I do. I would like to be proven wrong. If people can do so, please please do..... if people cannot, then they cannot argue against it, can they.

smile.png

I don't know who the poster Richard is, but I like to throw down a gauntlet when people make statement I believe they cannot back up, especially when I think they don't even know themselves. biggrin.png

People say that parts of the CBR aren't manufactured in China, okay, then prove it, tell us all where every part is made with a link to your source.

If people cannot, then they are talking out of their <deleted> because they don't know. biggrin.png

It is reasonable to presume that many parts are. So I do. I would like to be proven wrong. If people can do so, please please do..... if people cannot, then they cannot argue against it, can they.

Let's look at your post, but change things up a bit.

People say that you do not make a living selling coat hangers and abortion manuals outside of high schools whilst accepting sexual favours as payment, okay, then [sic] prove it, tell us exactly where all your money comes from with a link to your source.

If people cannot, then [sic] they are talking out of their <deleted> because they don't know. biggrin.png

It is reasonable to presume that the bulk of your money does come from that. So I do. I would like to be proven wrong. If people can do so, please please do.... if people cannot, then they cannot argue against it, can they.[sic]

The fact the Italian designed / engineered 300 cc Benelli has fancier components , such as a twin cylinder engine , better susspension , fancy twin front disc brakes , and a host of other special parts , is then built using international equipment , and components , then is shiped from China ( excesive taxes paid ) , and is still priced similar to a much more basic single cylinder bike , also built from international components , but assembeled by Thais ( feeling lucky - punk ) with a honda sticker on the tank , speaks volumes as to who is overpricing. The thing is , we now have a better choice , at better prices , than ever before . Thats good news .clap2.gif

dave_boo, on 07 Feb 2015 - 21:49, said:dave_boo, on 07 Feb 2015 - 21:49, said:dave_boo, on 07 Feb 2015 - 21:49, said:
Andrew Hastings, on 07 Feb 2015 - 21:38, said:Andrew Hastings, on 07 Feb 2015 - 21:38, said:Andrew Hastings, on 07 Feb 2015 - 21:38, said:

If people cannot, then they are talking out of their <deleted> because they don't know. biggrin.png

youtube video edited out

Let's look at your post, but change things up a bit.

People say that you do not make a living selling coat hangers and abortion manuals outside of high schools whilst accepting sexual favours as payment, okay, then [sic] prove it, tell us exactly where all your money comes from with a link to your source.

If people cannot, then [sic] they are talking out of their <deleted> because they don't know. biggrin.png

It is reasonable to presume that the bulk of your money does come from that. So I do. I would like to be proven wrong. If people can do so, please please do.... if people cannot, then they cannot argue against it, can they.[sic]

All I asked for was information on where parts for a motorcycle are manufactured. Backed up. A reasonable assumption would be China, IMO.

If you do not know, then just say so, or maybe say nothing. Such as the exhaust thread where the company you paid money too gave you a non-road legal exhaust that went through no R+D and gave you no information of performance (but did sent it to you within 24hrs, for the same price a UK manufactured blah blah blah). smile.png

But anyway, if you or anybody can knowledgeably educate us with backed-up sources of where different parts of the CB300 are manufactured then please do. It is the main competition to the bike that this thread is about and is on topic.

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately it seems like no-one on the forum actually owns a Benelli, so that means we all can only know what we read about it and visit a dealer, look at it and take it for a ride. I did and really like what I saw. The fact that Benelli is owned by a huge Chinese corporation and that this model is built in China doesn't bother me so much. (As far as I've been able to ascertain, the other Benellis are made in Italy. Now is that a guarantee for better quality?) We live in a global world and so much of what we use is made around these parts of the world, phones, appliances etc. What I'm worried about is the after sale service, availability of spare parts etc.

I've looked at all the alternatives suggested here, but none of them sing to me as much as this one. As to secondhand value, I don't care that much, it will probably be the last bike of my life.

Have not made up my mind, maybe I don't want to be the front runner on this one.

Thank you all.

Yes it seems nobody wants to be the frontrunner. Some REALLY like it but that's where it stops..,

Im prety sure - and no , i dont have facts , and Honda will certainly not tell anyone , that many components , on many bikes , come from China in order to keep the costs down. Based on the quality of the many Chinese items we all use daily , i dont see this as a negative point . I dont see it as a particular problem where the bikes are built - China for Keeway , and India / Brazil / Thailand for Honda. The cost of Chinese products , in this case bikes , cant be much cheaper than other bikes , as all manufacters now use the "cheaper" labour from various countries. Lower prices will come from larger scale production , more efficient importing , lower running cost dealerships and no price gouging.

Nickymaster, on 07 Feb 2015 - 22:19, said:
jchfriis, on 06 Feb 2015 - 15:22, said:

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately it seems like no-one on the forum actually owns a Benelli, so that means we all can only know what we read about it and visit a dealer, look at it and take it for a ride. I did and really like what I saw. The fact that Benelli is owned by a huge Chinese corporation and that this model is built in China doesn't bother me so much. (As far as I've been able to ascertain, the other Benellis are made in Italy. Now is that a guarantee for better quality?) We live in a global world and so much of what we use is made around these parts of the world, phones, appliances etc. What I'm worried about is the after sale service, availability of spare parts etc.

I've looked at all the alternatives suggested here, but none of them sing to me as much as this one. As to secondhand value, I don't care that much, it will probably be the last bike of my life.

Have not made up my mind, maybe I don't want to be the front runner on this one.

Thank you all.

Yes it seems nobody wants to be the frontrunner. Some REALLY like it but that's where it stops..,

It was a no brainer for me. As I buy in cash it was both a CBR250 and Ninja650 for 195k rather than just one 300cc bike for 130k or whatever. If I had come across one for the same price as the used CBR250 I would have bought it, but my purchases were done quickly without much searching. Did they copy the latest Er6n or did the latest Er6n (2013?) copy it?

Archived