Benelli TNT300s

jchfriis

I read a test report where the journalist said the TNT300 was the best sounding twin cylinder bike on the planet......

really dont understand why they think that... ive heard several TNT300 with aftermarket exhaust and stock.... i dont think it sounds any better than others, maybe even a little weak..... R3 and Ninja300 sound better IMO

i do think the TNT looks good though... its a sharp bike, especially for the money and has nice features..... really the only complaint is the weight, its a pig

benelli tnt 300 - 185kg

ninja 300 - 172-175kg

yamaha r3 - 169kg

ktm duke/rc 390 - 160kg ish

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's one for conjecture? Given the size and weight of the TNT300 and its incredibly short stroke and that a CB500 is only 471cc and weighs the same as the TNT. How about TNT300 is actually a shortened stroke 450 or 500 and was designed to be able to be bigger capacity? Rather than say a stretched 250, like the Kawasaki.

I think you are right. The new Benelli 500cc (ish) adventure bike and the new scrambler are reported to have motors based on the current 300.

• 4 weeks later...

Well done lad, white looks fantastic, keep us posted.

Picked it up today and on time as promised. Had to wait a full month as ZBB in Samut Sakhon are selling them like hotcakes. All I can report back after riding it home today all of 69kms is that nothing is wrong with it, comfortable ride, handles like its on rails, pulls well but not taking it over 6000 rpm until the 1st service at 1000kms, brakes like a bitch and plenty of stopping power for the size of bike it is. As for one poster saying he had false neutrals, Ive never hit one all the way home ..gearbox is positive and smooth through the changes and every bit as good as a Jap bike (its a PDI job and has to be set up before given to the customer as discussed previously in this thread, this dealer does their job spot on).

So a bike part built in China and finished off in Thailand, yep Im happy and for the made in China is bad brigade Id think twice. Ive owned shit loads of Jap bikes from 125 to 1100 cc in my time, yep more than 25 of em and I can honestly say that this Benelli is in no way inferior that I can see. Spoke to a local in my town who owns a 300 too, done 14000kms in a year on it and he throws it round a local circuit from time to time, asked him any probs? Nope. Proof is in the pudding as they say.

Thanks for other posters on this thread in the past which helped my decision to take a leap and buy one ...I am not regretting my decision. Ty, a happy new Benelli owner.

post-253269-0-11047900-1457003054_thumb.

I had a pair of Pirelli Angel GT tyres fitted today (160/60 x 17 and 120/70 x 17 IE UK spec), I would not say the stock tyres (IRC Road Winner RX01Rs 140/60 x 17 and 110/60 x 17) are bad but they are cheap (3200 Baht/pair) and are more for wear than handling and I just did not feel confident with them on.

I will report further once I have racked up a few miles but initial impressions are they are much better, at 12300 Baht they should be.

• 3 months later...

A follow up for those interested in the Benelli 300 TNT. 3 months later and 2000km, well almost.

post-253269-0-33830700-1465203370_thumb.

Problems with the bike so far: One small screw on the nose cone worked its way loose at 600 km, 30 seconds to fix that. 1st service at 999km was ok but upon returning home some 60kms oil light was flashing on tickover ... phoned the shop and they came and picked it up, without bike for a few days. Changed the sensor, the oil, and another new oil filter. The consensus was dodgy oil filter but they did the other stuff to be safe. They then returned the bike to my house ...very happy with that kind of service and zero charge. 2000kms later and all good.

Things I dont like about the bike: The IRC tyres are dog excrement. 2000 clicks and they are hardly worn, I just reckon the compound is too hard. Have tried upping and lowering the pressures from recommended either way about 4 psi with no real difference. They just do not inspire confidence to go bailing into a corner and yep they do give way. Had a great one Saturday bailing past a car in 3rd gear pulling 10000 rpm, tilt over slightly and wheel spinning ...ok on a GSXR1100 but come on not on a 38bhp 300 (I'd already travelled 70kms nonstop so one would assume they're warmed up eh). Oh the seat is a bit fiddly to get back on, no biggy mind. And one last thing, had to adjust clutch cable 3 times (yes I've oiled it too) so appears to be not the best quality ... I reckon it will need changed sooner than later at this rate, who knows?

Things I like about the bike: Never failed to start first button push, handles well (except for the tyre probs) and straight line rides the bumps perfectly. For a 300 accelerates rather well, gear changes at 7k to 9k are marvellous. The possibility to mess around with the suspension set up ... single fork damper with a wide range and a fully adjustable rear monoshock ...think I'got it just about right now to my personal settings. Brakes are marvellous and more than enough for this size of bike. Finally, I like the look of it, its comfortable to do distance on, and sounds sweet for a standard exhaust.

On the note of 'false neutrals' never had a single one. As Garyzx6r pointed out, it has to be set up correctly for each rider. I had mine adjusted when I picked it up but have also readjusted to suit my big feet and feels even better again.

post-253269-0-05773500-1465205600_thumb.

... as you can see, on the lever you have a cam so can have this up, down, to the front, to the back ...my size 11 feet like it to the front and shifts on the base on my big toe as I like it. Also moved the gear spline part one notch anti-clockwise from factory setting and adjusted the rose bar 2 turns on the thread to make it longer. What it creates is a lower positioned gear lever along with a longer distance from peg to lever. Love that you can do this also as many rearset new bikes don't have these options of adjustability.

So lovin it as they say but those tyres will be gone before worn out. Gary zx6r recommends the Duro Taurus rosso copies at 2700 baht a pair. Yep the pirellis would be the ones but at 10k a pair ! I will give the recommendation a go first.

post-253269-0-94433400-1465205730_thumb.

Sorry if I've bored anyone but it may be of help to know the crack if you want one or thinking about it. Happy biking all love Khru Gin with too much time on his hands today.

A follow up for those interested in the Benelli 300 TNT. 3 months later and 2000km, well almost.

attachicon.gif20160606_154500.jpg

Problems with the bike so far: One small screw on the nose cone worked its way loose at 600 km, 30 seconds to fix that. 1st service at 999km was ok but upon returning home some 60kms oil light was flashing on tickover ... phoned the shop and they came and picked it up, without bike for a few days. Changed the sensor, the oil, and another new oil filter. The consensus was dodgy oil filter but they did the other stuff to be safe. They then returned the bike to my house ...very happy with that kind of service and zero charge. 2000kms later and all good.

Things I dont like about the bike: The IRC tyres are dog excrement. 2000 clicks and they are hardly worn, I just reckon the compound is too hard. Have tried upping and lowering the pressures from recommended either way about 4 psi with no real difference. They just do not inspire confidence to go bailing into a corner and yep they do give way. Had a great one Saturday bailing past a car in 3rd gear pulling 10000 rpm, tilt over slightly and wheel spinning ...ok on a GSXR1100 but come on not on a 38bhp 300 (I'd already travelled 70kms nonstop so one would assume they're warmed up eh). Oh the seat is a bit fiddly to get back on, no biggy mind. And one last thing, had to adjust clutch cable 3 times (yes I've oiled it too) so appears to be not the best quality ... I reckon it will need changed sooner than later at this rate, who knows?

Things I like about the bike: Never failed to start first button push, handles well (except for the tyre probs) and straight line rides the bumps perfectly. For a 300 accelerates rather well, gear changes at 7k to 9k are marvellous. The possibility to mess around with the suspension set up ... single fork damper with a wide range and a fully adjustable rear monoshock ...think I'got it just about right now to my personal settings. Brakes are marvellous and more than enough for this size of bike. Finally, I like the look of it, its comfortable to do distance on, and sounds sweet for a standard exhaust.

On the note of 'false neutrals' never had a single one. As Garyzx6r pointed out, it has to be set up correctly for each rider. I had mine adjusted when I picked it up but have also readjusted to suit my big feet and feels even better again.

attachicon.gif20160606_154326.jpg

... as you can see, on the lever you have a cam so can have this up, down, to the front, to the back ...my size 11 feet like it to the front and shifts on the base on my big toe as I like it. Also moved the gear spline part one notch anti-clockwise from factory setting and adjusted the rose bar 2 turns on the thread to make it longer. What it creates is a lower positioned gear lever along with a longer distance from peg to lever. Love that you can do this also as many rearset new bikes don't have these options of adjustability.

So lovin it as they say but those tyres will be gone before worn out. Gary zx6r recommends the Duro Taurus rosso copies at 2700 baht a pair. Yep the pirellis would be the ones but at 10k a pair ! I will give the recommendation a go first.

attachicon.gif20160606_162637.jpg

Sorry if I've bored anyone but it may be of help to know the crack if you want one or thinking about it. Happy biking all love Khru Gin with too much time on his hands today.

Pirelli do a special tyre for the "smaller bike" - designed for 250-300cc range, Called "Sport Dragon" - http://www.rapidbikes.com.au/post/2014/09/11/Pirelli-announce-new-Sport-Dragon-Tyre-to-suit-250300-LAMS-Motorcycles-in-Australia.aspx

I had a CRF250M fitted with the standard IRC tyres, which as you said weren't much cop....

Changed to the sport dragons - the results were gobsmacking.....

And just 3,900 Baht the pair, fitted ,,,,,,

post-95864-0-97828300-1465213088_thumb.j

Pirelli do a special tyre for the "smaller bike" - designed for 250-300cc range, Called "Sport Dragon" - http://www.rapidbikes.com.au/post/2014/09/11/Pirelli-announce-new-Sport-Dragon-Tyre-to-suit-250300-LAMS-Motorcycles-in-Australia.aspx

I had a CRF250M fitted with the standard IRC tyres, which as you said weren't much cop....

And just 3,900 Baht the pair, fitted

Thanks for the heads up and 3900 a fair price for proper pirellis... luv pirellis me does. Do they sell them in Bangkok? May try asking Eric Contona that one or if you have info where properperson many thanks too.

Thanks for the heads up and 3900 a fair price for proper pirellis... luv pirellis me does. Do they sell them in Bangkok? May try asking Eric Contona that one or if you have info where properperson many thanks too.

no prob getting them in bkk...

My German buddy, lifelong biker, has had his over a year.

Very likes.

Reports that the fan blowing hot air on him when stopped is only negative.

Maybe will try reversed fan blade.

White, red, black looks nice.

in another TV thread 29tire.com at Rama 9 Ekkamai is recommended

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/799017-stock-irc-tires-for-cbr250r/

Sport Dragon

http://29tire.com/product-en-1100566-5917899-Pirelli+++Sport+Dragon+rims+17+inches.html

they also have the Diablo Rosso II for 5,500 the pair

http://29tire.com/product-en-1100566-6303512-Pirelli++Diable+Rosso2+Radialino+rims+17+inches.html

but i am leaning (sorry!) towards the Michelin Pilot Street Radials for 5,500 the pair

http://29tire.com/product-en-1098323-5555882-Michelin+Pilot+Street+Radial.html

• 2 weeks later...

I think all that range come with the same or similar IRC's. The CBR150/300/ninja300, not sure about the R3, but I hope not.

To answer that happy, in the Yam dealer yesterday, New R3 had Michelins on it ...good move me thinks.

BTW Happy (from way back) it is 300cc not 302 for the Benelli ...afaik 302 = 300cc 2 cylinder just as 604 = 600cc 4 cylinder. Some countries use this as opposed to TNT, I think India does/did.

• 1 month later...

Just done a Kanchanaburi trip 880kms bike never missed a beat ...Ban I-tong, Sangklaburi, Sisawat and Mueng Kan. Great roads up here and a great bike for the twisties. Here's a video going up part of the I-Tong road to the 1st viepoint you come to. Handles good and sounds rather nice on a stock exhaust eh.

3450km's done so far and no other problems to report, and dare I say the IRC's seem to have just broken in lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

About a 1000kms done on pair of new tyres, Metzeler Sportec's. Transformed the bike over those excrement IRC's and nice now to have tyres that dig in under braking and that can lean further than my old age confidence. Fitted 3,200 Baht for the pair and recommended.

13K and 2 years 5 months old, no more issues at all. Great bikes for the money.

received_10212262243658310.jpeg

received_10212262250418479.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2018 at 2:20 PM, alx123 said:

Awesome  bike for its price. Does the lack of ABS bothered you somehow? Or do you find it not essential in using the TNT? 

Sorry for the delay getting back, hardly on TV. TBH I have no problem braking without ABS but then I'm not really qualified to make a comparison as I have never owned a bike with ABS. Rode a bike with ABS once for 10 clicks but never got right into it to find out. As a guess, I think if you are an experienced rider then non-ABS bikes are fine, but I've heard with ABS if yer a bit jumpy on the brakes then it may well keep you out of trouble. So to answer yer question: lack of ABS doesn't bother me at all on the Benelli 300.

Over to someone with more experience of the two that can maybe comment. Cheers.

Thank you for the feedback.

I haven't owned any ABS bikes yet as well but im thinking that my next upgrade should include this feature as I believe it is very useful.

I've been planning to visit the Benelli dealer at Rama 2, very near my place, but haven't find the time yet. 

But the lack of ABS might be the reason why the TNT is fairly priced. 

• 1 month later...

Archived