Benelli TNT300s

jchfriis

It will be later this year, when I get back from my work/holiday stint, when I make a decision to buy one of these bikes. In the meantime I will try to hire both bikes for a few days as there is nowhere in KK when they have demo bikes.

My feeling is that I will prefer the Benelli, but if there are any reliability issues, I will buy the Honda, as this will be my touring bike for a few years to come, so will watch this space.

My best company car ever was a Boxer-engined Alfa (slated by the press but 100% reliable) and every trip in it for 3 years was a smile generator, I want that feeling again, if I can.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be later this year, when I get back from my work/holiday stint, when I make a decision to buy one of these bikes. In the meantime I will try to hire both bikes for a few days as there is nowhere in KK when they have demo bikes.

My feeling is that I will prefer the Benelli, but if there are any reliability issues, I will buy the Honda, as this will be my touring bike for a few years to come, so will watch this space.

My best company car ever was a Boxer-engined Alfa (slated by the press but 100% reliable) and every trip in it for 3 years was a smile generator, I want that feeling again, if I can.

You may get lucky and find another Boxer engined Sud...there has to be some in LOS.

You may get lucky and find another Boxer engined Sud...there has to be some in LOS.

Mine was a 33 green cloverleaf, but would have another, any Alfa tomorrow....in my mind.

There is something about Italian design, perhaps it is the way they shout at each other, gesture and wave their arms about excitedly. The Japs just sit on the floor and are extremely polite.

Look at the way they drive in Italy, regardless of the car's cc, everything is on the rev limiter, in Japan the only guys who drive fast are kids in sportscars and drunks.

This thing is made in Chain though, has that had a sobering effect?

Mine was a 33 green cloverleaf, but would have another, any Alfa tomorrow....in my mind.

There is something about Italian design, perhaps it is the way they shout at each other, gesture and wave their arms about excitedly. The Japs just sit on the floor and are extremely polite.

Look at the way they drive in Italy, regardless of the car's cc, everything is on the rev limiter, in Japan the only guys who drive fast are kids in sportscars and drunks.

This thing is made in Chain though, has that had a sobering effect?

Brings back memories of my Alfasud 1.5ti Cloverleaf with the twin headlamps. Way ahead of its time and cornered like a dream. Those boys in the Ford XR2s and XR3s never knew what hit them.

• 2 months later...

3 mths on since buying the Benelli and well happy with it. Had the 1000 km service ,cost 1400 bht ,3litres oil ,filter,labour etc. Took 2 hrs and left no finger marks after. Only upgrade so far is a louder horn which cost 350 bht ,fitted in the old ones place and is much louder. The forks have loosened up and are not as stiff as when new. All in all a fine motorcycle.

Thanks for the report.

It's a great looking bike. If in the market for a 300, I'd definitely go for one.

As another note, the black one with red frame just looks superb.

BLACK-LIFT.jpg

non-chopstick forks, dual brake rotors, a fantastic bike.

Thanks for the up-date Gary . Any plans for any up-grades such as smaller rear sprocket , adjustable levers etc ? .

Not really into coloured levers Jeff ,but they are available from a new K-Speed shop which has opened in town or on Ali Ba Ba express. The only upgrades i want to do in time are replace the IRC Roadwinner tyres(still have the knobbly bits on the front!) with either Pirelli Sport Dragons or try the Quick taurus brand from 29tire.Also maybe change the front pads to Brembo or Ferodo. The standard ones are really dusty,after a mornings ride the silver calipers have a coating of brake dust, maybe thats why the US models have now dark grey calipers ?

Still selling shed loads here, another 4 bikes went out yesterday. The shop owner organises runs out and gets many riders for his day trips all posted on Facebook.

One thing i just remembered is ,I would like to get a GI PRO gear indicator fitted, as i still sometimes get caught out changing into that missing 7th gear..lol

Alls well in the Benelli camp..

Still selling shed loads here, another 4 bikes went out yesterday. The shop owner organises runs out and gets many riders for his day trips all posted on Facebook.

Well done Benelli.

thumbsup.gif

• 2 months later...

Well done Benelli.

thumbsup.gif

just been doing some digging on the internet to try to find out more about this Benelli TNT. found this. It was originally produced in Europe as Keeway 300. amazing what the Chinese do. call it a keeway Chinese bike but in asia, call it a European Benelli. damn cunning, those Chinese.......http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/04/bikes/benelli-tnt-300/benelli-tnt-300-also-keeway-rkx-300/

I thought that everybody new it was designed and R+D'd in Italy and then manufactured in China.

Like KTM being designed in Austria and manufactured in India, a Honda designed in Japan and manufactured in Thailand, or your iPhone, designed in America and manufactured in China too.

This is an interesting read on motorcycle manufacturers in China.

http://www.chinamotorrider.com/5-top-chinese-motorcycle-manufacturers/

Interesting pieces:

"Loncin was founded in 1993 in Chongqing. Loncin is the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for some of BMW’s engines (the engine for the G650GS for example).

Loncin was the second largest producer of motorcycles in China for 2012, making over 1.5 million units. The manufacturer is the largest exporter, exporting 45% of its production, including more than 35,000 BMW engines.

An up and coming motorcycle from Loncin is the Loncin CR9 (also known as the LX650), which uses the licensed G650GS engine, unveiled at the CIMA exhibition in October 2012."

"The Zongshen Group has already set up factories in developing countries such as Thailand and Brazil, and is considering buying a developed motorcycle manufacturer in the United States in order to gain a strategic foothold before other Chinese manufacturers get the first mover advantage. Like the other major motorcycle makers, Zongshen plans to make the production of higher value, larger displacement motorcycles a more prominent focus in their business strategy.It is currently in strategic partnerships with Piaggio (2004) and Harley Davidson. "

"Qingqi is OEM for a number of international companies, including Suzuki, Mercury Marine and Peugot (started in 2006)."

That the Benelli 300 (302 actually, think of Honda as an 286) is manufactured at the Qianjiang plant (under Italian supervision), having been designed and R+D'd in Italy wouldn't bother me in the least.

Happy Grumpy , you give far too much credit to "Honda" . The CBR 500 has absolutley no links to Japan whatsoever . It was concieved ( for the Chinese / Asian markets ) , designed , developed ! , had the prototypes made , and then put together (using parts from Thailand . India China etc ) 100% in Thailand . Only the small Benelli,s are assembled it China , using Italian designed parts and equipment (with Italian style) . The larger ones are completly designed and built in Italy . As some of us know they are sold under the Keeway brand in countries that dont ( yet ) reconise the Benelli brand . Although "Hondas" are made by many people , in many countries , using parts from many countries , they must always have a Honda sticker put on them ( even though they are not made by Honda Japan ) . KTM are like Benelli , as in only their small bikes - 125 , 200 etc - are assembled in India , but all are designed in Austria . Loncin and Zongshen are world leaders in many automotive fields . No problems if they are involved at any stage IMO .

Been looking at the stats, specifically size and the Benelli is a slightly bigger bike, which for 6 foot me is a plus, in addition to the superior looks and great sound. Since we ride 2 up a lot the 174kg payload is a good too and the pillion seat looks more comfortable too, though that would be a simple mod.

So there is only two questions for me, would I get bored with the Honda, before I get trouble with the Benelli? The answer to that question is yes, unless the Benelli breaks down on the way home from the dealership...and where can I get one in Khon Kaen?

They say it is an Italian bike built in China..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlvX_MYCpqI ....?

If you ride two-up, I would go for a CBR500.

Used for as low as 130k now, no problem finding one for 150k and less.

For 2 up riding I wouldn't even think twice about it, and 250 or 300 wouldn't enter the equation when there are nearly new 471cc Hondas available for the same price and cheaper!

Papa , I understand your concern about soon getting bored of the Honda - as many have - but what makes you think you will have any trouble with an Italian bike . I have rode Italian biker for many years , often going 15,000 - 18,000 per year on them , and never had any problems with any of them , although the riding positions of the supersport bikes arent perfect for touring ! . A 300 ( Kawasaki , Yamaha or Benelli twin ) wont be underpowered when two up . Consider a 150KG 150cc 22BHP bike ( Papa,s CBR 150 ) with a 90 (?) KG rider on it . Total weight about 240KG . Now consider a 185KG 300cc 37BHP bike ( Benelli ) with an additional 50-60 ? KG pillion . Total weight about 325KG . Nearly twice the power and torque , but not twice the weight . Loaded up , the Benelli wont be slow .

We (85kg me, 60kg 'er indoors and 15kg luggage) rode around Vietnam, including some mountains, early this year on a 110 Wave clone and I image that four times any many horses will be fine for my particular riding style.

In Europe I would be more than happy buying/driving a secondhand car, but a bike and in Thailand, too many ifs...like why are

they selling..and who serviced it? I bought our Wave more than 5 years ago and know the history, most reassuring.

Plus as I have said before the 300 Honda is boring, why would the 500 be any less so for slow rider. I do get why people like the thrill of speed, it just isn't for me, so what's left,.... sound and style/looks? The Italians have it, the Japs didn't only miss the boat they didn't know there was one sailing.

The only thing I would be wary of with the Bennelli is the fact it does not have ABS, for me that is a showstopper but I realize for others it is not an issue, as for the power and quality I think they are absolutely fine for such a low budget bike

The thing is that people, investors like companies that have cash over credit, you talk about VW being maybe 70% bigger, and that is probably true. But you have to look how much is owned by financial companies.

For Benelli compared to Ducati, it has a much healthier financial environment, less of 20% is financed by banks and financial instituted. While, for the moment Ducati is still working on credit from VW.For the production of mobile semiconductor production, you not need to wait long, pretty soon Huawei the 3th largest manufacturer of smartphones will announce the deal. Huawei is also the only Chinese manufacturer that challenges Samsung for the fastest processor from China being the first any only to produce a big-little processor that is faster than what Samsung currently offers.

But Dave_Boo you will not believe a word I say so why say it. Download the list of your motorcycle and compare it to how much Honda replaced on your bike.

By the way, the wheel bearings used by Honda are from the same manufacturer as used by Lifan, and by no surprise have similar problems But you can look that all up on Internet search part numbers and see replacements and wonder if you ever get them

Thanks Richard.

Your penchant for making spurious claims whilst providing no supporting information continues to inspire the rest of this forum.

The Huawei processor you speak of Is not better than Samsung note 4 cpu from a year ago never mind the note 5 cpu which is faster again

Huawei are not known for innovation, more like Blatent copying

They have just copied a case by HTC for their new smartphone FYI but that's only the latest in a long line of them copying

A lot easier to copy the best CPU of last year and reproduce it on the cheap than do the actual R+D to make it

The thing is that people, investors like companies that have cash over credit, you talk about VW being maybe 70% bigger, and that is probably true. But you have to look how much is owned by financial companies.

For Benelli compared to Ducati, it has a much healthier financial environment, less of 20% is financed by banks and financial instituted. While, for the moment Ducati is still working on credit from VW.For the production of mobile semiconductor production, you not need to wait long, pretty soon Huawei the 3th largest manufacturer of smartphones will announce the deal. Huawei is also the only Chinese manufacturer that challenges Samsung for the fastest processor from China being the first any only to produce a big-little processor that is faster than what Samsung currently offers.

But Dave_Boo you will not believe a word I say so why say it. Download the list of your motorcycle and compare it to how much Honda replaced on your bike.

By the way, the wheel bearings used by Honda are from the same manufacturer as used by Lifan, and by no surprise have similar problems But you can look that all up on Internet search part numbers and see replacements and wonder if you ever get them

Thanks Richard.

Your penchant for making spurious claims whilst providing no supporting information continues to inspire the rest of this forum.

The Huawei processor you speak of Is not better than Samsung note 4 cpu from a year ago never mind the note 5 cpu which is faster again

Huawei are not known for innovation, more like Blatent copying

They have just copied a case by HTC for their new smartphone FYI but that's only the latest in a long line of them copying

A lot easier to copy the best CPU of last year and reproduce it on the cheap than do the actual R+D to make it

It depends on which processors you're talking about.. Samsung processors are Exyonas and Huawei are HiSilicon.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't get this experimenting with Chinese bikes, if they are super-cheap yes, but at 139k it costs more than the Honda CB300, why would you do that? Even if I was seduced by the styling, which I am not, or the twin cylinder, which I think offers very little, if anything, it's a Chinese bike FCS and "no reported problems", what's that all about? Honda is Honda, Bellini is What??

It seems that by the time these Chinese bikes get close to being as good as proven makes, they get as expensive, so why bother?

Autocar think the Benelli is great:

this shop is doing some very "interesting" things with the benellis.... kind of like a cafe/steampunk sort of thing..... personally i kinda like the white one... id ride that.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Custom-BIKE-Design/620436164676260

11782502_919142941472246_181976727725884

10850015_1574205252811822_38885902090165

11143556_905549022831638_823646459115268

11752460_920812237971983_716499168676183

11665775_903821099671097_155201083422333

A forward facing exhaust, okay I give up what's that for? To poison the rider, to blow the smoke back into the engine, perhaps there has been a mod to the gearbox... reverse?

If that is Thai original thought in action, they should stick to copying. Perhaps the guild wheels are a clue to his age?

Archived