What to do with my dogs for 1.5 years?

ChaangNoi

Hi all,

We have two rottweilers here in Thailand one who has been with us for 8 years and the other for about 3 years. In 3 to 4 months we will need to leave the country for about 1.5 years and we are not sure what to do with the dogs. We could leave them at the house and have someone come by twice a day and feed them but we feel this would not be in the best interest of the dogs. They very much like interacting with people. They play great with my 1 year old son and never bite.

We looked into taking them outside of Thailand and then back with us but this seems pretty costly. I did look at the boarding site that advertises here with the forum but the costs will be over 300,000 baht. That is more than shipping them out and back in.

Are their any other options? The male is of breading age so if anyone wants some Rott pups that might be the way to go.

Just looking for some ideas, this is a problem I don't want to have to solve at the last second.

Thanks.

It is very, very difficult to get vets to "put down" even cancer ridden, crippled dogs let alone healthy breeding capable animals.

I suggest contacting some of the plethora of Thailand breeders and see if the will give them a home.

I wouldn't hope to get them back though.

Breeders are best found in one of the many "Sat Liang" magazines available in newsagents. Most, from recollection, are in the Pattaya/cholburi area.

Sorry but we just have too much dog to help you ourselves.

One of the difficulties is that anyone who takes the dogs is going to be a dog lover. Looking after them for that period of time, you can't help but become very close to the dogs, and there will be a reluctance to return them. Plus the dogs will have gone through a difficult period of readjustment, and then would have to go through another when you return. I think you might have to consider losing the dogs for good.

I possibly could take the older dog at a pinch, but not both. But you would not get him back :). I looked after a friend's dog for a week, and a year later still miss the gorgeous little thing.

Why not leave it right where it is so that CR residents can more readily see it & give the op helpful comments? The sleepy CR forum could certainly use some postings that prove to be helpful. Isn't that why we have it? In any event I wish the op good luck in homing the pets he loves.

As I said in the earlier forum, either sell/give away both dogs and lose them permanently, or pull together the necessary cash to take them with you.

You're not going away for a weekend or even a month's vacation. In that period of time, anything can happen.

Resign yourself to being without the dogs, or some money. Personally, I'd choose the latter.

Put the older dog down - sell the other one. The older dog is unlikely to be around by the time you get back due to it's age. Do the compassionate thing and don't have it living out it's last spell with a stranger.

Put a healthy dog down?

You'll be lucky in Thailand unless he does it himself, they're reluctant to put a dog down when it can't walk, blind, no bladder or intestinal function and crying in pain all day.

Put the older dog down - sell the other one. The older dog is unlikely to be around by the time you get back due to it's age. Do the compassionate thing and don't have it living out it's last spell with a stranger.

Put a healthy dog down?

You'll be lucky in Thailand unless he does it himself, they're reluctant to put a dog down when it can't walk, blind, no bladder or intestinal function and crying in pain all day.

Where did I mention using a vet?

Just in case, things do not work out and you still would like to take the dogs with you.

Assuming you are going to the States or Canada:

If dog travels with owner as accompanied luggage, the gross weight will be calculated.
If dog travels as cargo, the volume weight is calculated. This is often 2 to 3 times higher than the grows weight.

Assume dog weighs 40 kg and crate weighs 10 kg. Gross weight 50kg.

Per accompanied luggage:
Flight CNX-BKK 40B/kg = 2,000 baht
Flights BKK-SFO 50X 318b/kg = 15,900
Total say around 20,000 baht per dog.

Per cargo:
If crate is: 102x69x76.5cm Volume weight 90kg
CNX-BKK:
90 x 40 = 3,600 baht
If send by cargo agency, there will be their fee as well, which quickly can up to 4 to 5,000 baht.
BKK-SFO
Airfreight:90 x318 = 28,620 b
Fuel charge: 90 x 39 = 3,520 b
Crisis surcharge 90 x 4 - 360 b
Servoce charge cargo agency 4,000 b
T/L + AWB fee
Customs fee
Total fee sending 1 big dog to SFO or YVR by cargo between 50 and 60,000 baht.

If you have big rotties, the dimension of the crate mentioned will most probably be too small. There are crates even bigger than the one I mentioned, but with that the volume weight and, thus, the costs will go up.

Fingers crossed things will work out well for you and the dogs. :)

Put a healthy dog down?

I'm not putting the dogs down. We need to drop this line of thought. Thanks.

Anyone who thinks 'Rotty's' 'Staffies' or 'Pitties' are anything other than dangerous breeds is deluded, the less of them the better. An answer on another place to are 'Rotty's' dangerous:

i work at a veterinary hospital, and a few weeks ago, a three year old rottweiler was put down for attacking the children in the family. he was a sweet loving family dog, and one day out of the blue, he attacked. five minutes later, he was back to normal. the explanation for this is that rottweilers are prone to a genetic defect that can be hereditary, which is similar to bi-polarity in humans. something triggers the dog's brain to attack instead of act gentle, and the dog may not even realize. this is more common in rottweilers than any other breed, and little is actually known about this "disorder." it may be due to the lack of certain chemicals in the dog's brain, or something else. but gentle dogs with no past history can become brutal in an instant, then back to normal. the sad thing is that once a dog does something like that, you can't really trust them again. in other cases, it is the owner that determines the dog's behavior.

Do the world a favour and have them put down.

An update on this JoeyDaRench is not going to be able to host the dogs because they have a cat. Our dogs have never been around or seen cats before and I feel that the risk to their cat might be too high.

That being said Joe is a really nice guy and a new friend.

So please any other options other than killing them are welcome.

Thanks.

Dragonfly94, the quote you use and your statement show your fear. You fear something you don't know and are relying on an opinion of someone you've likely never met.

I fear people like you. Closed minded. I suspect you fear most things that are different than you.

As to 'Staffies' or 'Pitties' I can't attest. I've seen owners raise these dogs, as well as Rotts, Dobeys, etc. to be vicious. But I've known far more people who have raised these into loving pets. Myself included.

I would strongly guess that there are FAR more "humans" that have had their brain "triggered" to violence and murder than has ever happened with Rotts. My statement is only a guess, but really....look at the prison populations.

I feel that I can better "read" a Rott than a human. I'd probably trust them more also.

As to breeds I'm scared of.....Those tiny little Chihuahua's seem far more violent and "schizoid" than any Rott I've known. I'd bet they'd tear you up if they had the chance. Glad they're not very big.

I met these two dogs today and they're awesome. Very kind and loving. Clearly raised in a wonderful family. I'm not certain that can be said about some of the posters I've seen on just this thread. Very sad. We could learn a lot from the dogs.

I hope these two wonderful dogs find a good home. They deserve it.

Anyone who thinks 'Rotty's' 'Staffies' or 'Pitties' are anything other than dangerous breeds is deluded, the less of them the better. An answer on another place to are 'Rotty's' dangerous:

i work at a veterinary hospital, and a few weeks ago, a three year old rottweiler was put down for attacking the children in the family. he was a sweet loving family dog, and one day out of the blue, he attacked. five minutes later, he was back to normal. the explanation for this is that rottweilers are prone to a genetic defect that can be hereditary, which is similar to bi-polarity in humans. something triggers the dog's brain to attack instead of act gentle, and the dog may not even realize. this is more common in rottweilers than any other breed, and little is actually known about this "disorder." it may be due to the lack of certain chemicals in the dog's brain, or something else. but gentle dogs with no past history can become brutal in an instant, then back to normal. the sad thing is that once a dog does something like that, you can't really trust them again. in other cases, it is the owner that determines the dog's behavior.

Do the world a favour and have them put down.

Dragonfly, who gave you this explanation? Was an autopsy done? And did it show a tumor in the brain? As that could explain a sudden change in behavior of a dog and an unprovoked bite.

Healthy dogs do not bite 'out of the blue'. That's a myth.

It is much more likely that the parents/care-takers and the children were ignorant of the dog's language, needs and his many requests of being left alone, which the dog undoubtedly has been giving, until that day when the tolerance level was reached. The highest number of dog bites occurs with familiar dogs, and primarily because the dog's subtle language went unnoticed.

Where were the parents/adults when this incident happened? Were the dog with the children supervised by an adult when the incident happened?

I invite you to watch this vdo with an extremely tolerant rottie who is just begging the adults to have them stop the interaction, incredible ignorant parents, an innocent child and an accident waiting to happen. And if it happens, it's the dog who will have to pay with her life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaxCYgqh2ao

Here's another one, where the rottie clearly shows s/he's uncomfortable with the child's interaction: yawning, lip flicking, whale eye, looking away, head turns. And these 'kisses' aren't signs of affection, it's an appeasement signal as in "please, stop": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LWB7SYhzGQ

In both clips you can clearly see the dog asking for help from the owner.

Put a healthy dog down?

Just thought that might be your first port of call.

Joey and Chang Noi , if I may.

I have both dogs and cats live in peace with no problem.

Put the cat/s in the cage and leave in the room with dogs. 1-3 days , cats would not be scared of the dogs and dogs would be familiar with the cats.

I now have 10 cats, came at all different times but introduced the same way and all get along well.

Give it a go, as it sounds like it might be a winner for both of you

Nienke, those are scary videos. Pretty stupid parents, but awfully good/tolerant dogs. That's what I've known in Rotts.

Konying, that's an interesting way of introducing them. I'm not sure I'd want to put my cat through the trauma though. Also, our "mutt" 9 month old was pretty scared of the dogs. That would probably work out. The cat, not so sure.

But, thanks for the tip. Very creative.

An update:

We have an a couple of offers from people down in southern Thailand with about a 20 to 24 hour drive each way for us. I am thankful for these offers but we are going to try to find a more local solution first. The logistics of transporting the dogs, even for a trial run is going to be difficult at that distance.

We have also had a local offer depending on if they are able to get the house they are wanting to buy in time. So that is a potential but not sure solution.

We are open to the idea of paying someone to live in our house and watch the dogs but this is something we would do if there are no other options.

Thank you all.

• 1 month later...

I am very pleased to hear you have changed your mind. I am sure your dogs will be better off for it.

I'm sure they will, but I'm not sure how happy my wife is I picked them over her. Oh well...

Your dogs are the helpless and dependent ones so I admire your decision. Dealing with disappointment is an important life lesson and I am sure you will find a way to make it up to your wife, anyway.

Archived