Marmite Vs Vegemite

Babies, are often intoduced to Marmite at an early age in the Uk. I certainly was, and grew up with it. My Thai son here loves it - and he's only 10 months old.

It's like anything unusual, you get used to the taste and then hooked - Beer's a good example of that. I remember my first pint, and thinking never again...it took three years and a good lady to break me of that habit :o

Yep exactly. Most people I know here in UK who do like Marmite - it is because they've been brought up on it from an early age. Like me. I think that people who try it beyond childhood or whatever are those that don't like it.

I LOVE the stuff. I think I'm actually addicted to it. I need to eat it at least once a day!!

Note - Marmite is very good for vegetarians as it's healthy and nutritious. Doesn't contain calories or fat either.

As for vegemite.... in Britain, literally NO-ONE eats it...

Edited by Krupnik

'Does not hurt the gums as marmite does'

Oh my god, 'my toast hurts' 'those jelly beans are dangerous'

Try toasted, jaffle style so the cheese does not run out, vegemite and cheddar cheese sandwhiches. Awesome.

For those that the marmite or vegemite hurts. stick to jelly and ice cream.

If you really want to know the best thing for and since sliced bread, look no further than the BRitish Embassy in Bangkok.

Rumour has it that the big slab that stands upside down on the corner of Wireless and Ploenchit roads was in the olden days the Brits supply of Marmite.

They thought it was the ants pants, however, arriving in Thailand and upon learning that the Aussies had a similiar but superior substitute they went to the old Oz embassy for breakfast one morning. (Trade mission they called it)

There they were treated to the Aussie breakfast of eggs, bacoon, tomatoes, mushies, pots of tea and thick toast. With the toast came the vegemite and butter. Applying the butter liberally and the vegemite sparingly they were astonished.

They raced back to their own embassy after they had finished all the toast and ordered the Gurkhas to grab that slab of disgusting marmite and tip it into the street. This they did but they left the slab on the corner.

To this day the big slab as it is now called is a constant reminder that VEGEMITE is the best.

• 3 months later...
I live in Pai, just up the hill from Chiang Mai, where in CM can I buy my beloved Vegemite? I know I can get it in BKK, I can also finance a friend over for a holiday on condition he brings a tub but where can I go and buy some in Chiang Mai?

Vegemite is easy to find in CM - Carre Four have it in the spreads and condements section but the best bet is to go to Rimping Supermarkets.

When you see the price though be prepared to have a minor heart attack - ฿325 for a small jar - ouch

Well, here's an old topic returning from the dead. If we go way back in time, we'll see that I started the thing. I must've been drunk or something.

Anyway, I'm an American who never tasted Vegemite until I was 37 years old and became an immediate Vegemite junkie. I wasn't raised on the stuff. As for Marmite, which I also wasn't raised on, it's crap. I bought some when I couldn't find Vegemite. Bad move.

But in defense of the British, I drink HP Sauce straight out of the bottle. I wonder how that'd taste on Vegemite...

Michael