Digital reception in pattaya darkside via an add on thai tv box

nitnoymoy

Hi,Just wondered if anyone has bought a digital tv add on box ,I have seen them for sale for around 690 baht in Makro,What channels are available with it and how many are there ,my subscription is due for renewal with TMN and as I never watch any of it, I am thinking along the lines of would a set top digital box do for thai tv for the girlfriend and her daughter .I use a minix x7 for all the uk tv that I require

If only I could find the right thread among the many.

Its so difficult to find a simple list of the channels.

There are 36 channels as far as I remember.

8 of them in Full HD.

All Thai language.

Should satisfy the usual needs of a Thai girlfriend/wife.

just been down to Numchai to try and purchase one, the sales assistant informs me that they don't work in pattaya yet although they have them in stock ,apparently every house will be given a voucher which can be exchanged for a free box there seems,no rush to install in Pattaya apparently as everyone have cable tv they are doing Issan first and down as far as chonburi I was told!!!

Interesting. So this means that the transmitter in Rayong is not supposed to be good enough to cover Pattaya.

apparently as everyone have cable tv they are doing Issan first and down as far as chonburi I was told!!!

The truth is a bit more complicated biggrin.png

Isan first: no. Just a few centers are or will shortly be covered.

Isan is still satellite territory mainly (dishes of different size).

Bangkok was first (of course, what else) more than a year ago.

We got the voucher and box already in Chiang Mai .My Thai wife had to go to the local Post office to collect the voucher,then it was off to Tesco/Lotus to exchange the voucher for a B690 digital TV box .It now works good after moving the small external aerial around different positions on the roof .All Thai language stations.Enough to keep the wife and daughter happy.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not looking too good for Digital terestrial TV in the Pattaya, Jomtien,Na Jomtien and darkside areas

they are right in between the Bangkok and Rayong transmitter coverage areas Bangkok a long way off 100+ KMs

and Rayong sheilded by some high elevations.

post-2109-0-88246000-1424751856_thumb.jp post-2109-0-09713800-1424751880_thumb.jp

They still have analogue transmisions on Channels 38,46,48,50 from the Pattaya Si Racha transmitter

with according to one source of info Digital on Channels 27,30,33,37,41

post-2109-0-98075700-1424753204_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-52531400-1424752173_thumb.jp

but the latest National broadcasting comittee transmitter list has no mention of the Si Racha transmitter ????

post-2109-0-11047200-1424752948_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-27191800-1424752968_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-37241100-1424752996_thumb.jp

There is a website you can check coverage for your location

http://dtvservicearea.nbtc.go.th/webpeople/

post-2109-0-58182900-1424752152_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

I went to 2 post offices today and they both said they where "out" of coupons which is a bit of a fib really.

My wife called the Office of The Nationanal Broadcasting and Telecomunications Commisision ( NBTC )

they say that they have not released coupons for the Na-Jomtien area because the signal is not "ready" ie they have not turned on the filler transmiters yet. When the signal is there they will send out coupons.

You can check if your area has had coupons released by putting in your 11 digit house number from the blue book at this webpage

http://dtvcoupon.nbtc.go.th/searchphp.php

though the error message if they have not distributed to your area is just "we don't have any information"

• 7 months later...

I who thought this was fixed nationwide already.

In Lampang had it for a year almost.

Brilliant compared to the old analog net, all channels crystal clear.

DVB-T2 that is.

Still lots of the country without DVB-T coverage.... in the above map areas in grey look like they will have to wait at least another year

for the A3 fill in transmitters to come online.

@DPGumbypgh

Did you try the BigC at South Pattaya ?

last time I went they had quite a few boxes but only 1 (brand) that they would let you have with a coupon.

Also some places are a bit strict that the paper work of the redeemer is all in order

My wife tried to get a box for her friend but although she had copies of ID and house registration

they wanted to see the actual person "in person" laugh.png

• 5 weeks later...

Just bought a Leona RV 004 digibox from Power Buy at Central Festival. Cost 990 Baht. Plugged in and tried to tune in but got 0% Signal Strength and 0% Signal Quality. Am in Jomtien near Dong Tan beach. No mention in shop that digital signal has yet to be switched on in Pattaya/Jomtien, but it looks like this is the case. As mentioned on this topic elsewhere, switch on date is set for Feb 1st.

• 10 months later...

Digi Boxes or Digital Tuner TV's work with the digital! channels your provider (i.e. SOPHON / 149 channels) provide. 

Condition for good signal and very good quality is proper wiring within your building and proper RG-6 cabling in your own place.

Needs certain range of signal strength, nott too much & not too little. I believe all main providers now have digital signals. An analogue tuner TV will work on a reduced amount of channels and at lesser quality. Sophon Digi-Boxes are  roughly 700 Baht and they are sold out right now :-).  Good night gents.  MS>

Something weird.........I'm using TMN and I do have 2 TV sets, one regular 32" LCD (7-8 years old) and a brand new 32" LED smart TV.

The LCD receives the 'analog' channels and the number is reduced to 72-73; picture quality is pretty low.

The LED Smart receives ALL digital channels (is it 150+) with perfect picture quality although the sounds 'stumbles' sometimes. 

And that with ONE TMN connection, just split indoors to the different TV's. 

http://tmncabletv.com/list of channel.php

Something weird.........I'm using TMN and I do have 2 TV sets, one regular 32" LCD (7-8 years old) and a brand new 32" LED smart TV.
The LCD receives the 'analog' channels and the number is reduced to 72-73; picture quality is pretty low.
The LED Smart receives ALL digital channels (is it 150+) with perfect picture quality although the sounds 'stumbles' sometimes. 
And that with ONE TMN connection, just split indoors to the different TV's. 

http://tmncabletv.com/list of channel.php

Sounds like your old TV does not have a digital tuner built-in, therefore only receiving analog channels. Solution is either a digital receiver (which will convert the digital signal from TMN to analogue for your TV) or buy a new TV.. I would go for the latter..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yes they send  both analogue and digital signal down the same coax cable  Banglamug cable do the same  and I believe Sophon does too

this has lead to some very confused "all new singing and dancing digital TV" owners   wondering why the picture on their new fangled super TV was all wavy and snow filed :facepalm:

Archived