12 Tourists Injured in Samui Island Road Accident

Lite Beer

12 Tourists Injured in Samui Island Road Accident

By Khaosod Eng.

SURAT THANI — At least 12 tourists were injured after their tour bus veered off a road on the southern island of Koh Samui.

The incident took place yesterday afternoon a hilly road near Na Nim waterfall in Mueang district, police say.

One of the tourists is in critical condition, according to medical workers at Koh Samui Hospital. The driver, Wanich Sridon, 29, fled the scene before police arrived.

Police have not identified the nationalities of all the tourists, but say some of them appear to be from Romania and Hungary.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1423380063

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-02-08

'Police say the vehicle ... was chartered by a company called "Funny Day Safari" '

Ouch. The tragic irony.

A grimace, a sigh and a sad shake of the head is all one can do after reading this. Our words here in this forum and wishful thinking all come to naught - except to ensure we issue stern words of warning to loved ones coming to visit.

• Like 1

Another nail in the Thai tourism coffin!

You might think so but I doubt this and all the other completely avoidable road traffic injuries and fatalities will make the slightest dent in the tourist numbers.

Regarding the fleeing driver, and given his age and the way he was driving, I would wager there is over a 50% chance he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

• Like 2

"The driver, Wanich Sridon, 29, fled the scene before police arrived."

Thainess. wai2.gifwai.gif

"Niran Klodsuwan, an eyewitness, told police he saw the vehicle driving "at a high speed" before it veered off a bend in the road."

Quality hosts.

Another thai-lunatic driving at high speed - what else is new ....

12 injured in safari 4 x 4 accident in Koh Samui

SAMUI: -- 12 tourists were injured yesterday when their tour bus veered off a hilly road near Na Nim waterfall.

safari-accident-2.jpg

One of the tourists remains in a critical condition in Koh Samui Hospital. The 29 year old driver, Wanich Sridon fled from the scene of the accident according to news reports.

Although the police in Koh Samui are yet to confirm the nationality of those injured it is thought that they are from Romania and Hungary.

safari-accident-1.jpg

Local police reports suggest that the large 4 x 4 pickup truck had been converted into a sightseeing bus and had been chartered by a company called Funny Day Safari, a visit to the waterfall was part of the day trip agenda. Eye witness reports suggest the vehicle was traveling at high speed but this has not been confirmed.

Local police are now looking for the driver of the vehicle.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-02-08

Another bus crash, another driver flee's. It's about time that Thailand sorted out the companies. The drivers should be licensed, the company should

be licensed and if a driver flees after an accident he should be band for life.

excellent !

Continue dreaming biggrin.png

You thinking one motor accident all tourism stopping? clap2.gif

What that island they kill people one times every month? Koh tao? tourists shipping there every day stills

Yea, this will not remotely dent tourism. My first week in Samui I saw- was actually present- at 2 accidents and 3 deaths. I have never seen such numbers of injured on a lazy stretch of road. The ring road is far more dangerous and hard to manage. I think they can address the 4x4 problem with an overwhelming choice to reign in negligent driving up there. The roads? Not so easy.

• Like 1

like many others on samui we see these idiots all the time

mostly speeding and overtaking into on coming traffic or forcing you off the road

take a close look at their number plates and you will see that they are not legally allowed to carry passengers of any type , which means they carry no insurance

foolish tourists and hotels/agencies selling these trips need an attitude adjustment

whens the general sending the troops to samui ?

mostly speeding and overtaking into on coming traffic or forcing you off the road

take a close look at their number plates and you will see that they are not legally allowed to carry passengers of any type , which means they carry no insurance

foolish tourists and hotels/agencies selling these trips need an attitude adjustment

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you tell from the number plates whether they are insured to carry passengers, or not?

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you tell from the number plates whether they are insured to carry passengers, or not?

Different coloured letters and backgrounds mean different things.

Black letters on white background = private car.

White letters on green background = taxi.

You get the idea.......

Different coloured letters and backgrounds mean different things.

Black letters on white background = private car.

White letters on green background = taxi.

You get the idea.......

Green letters on white background = truck for commercial purposes (different tax rate to private cars/trucks).

Blue letters on white background = vehicle in company name

Black letters on yellow background = commercial vehicles licensed to carry paying passengers (eg safari trucks, mini buses etc)

Black letters on red background = trade/temporary plates for new vehicles

Whilst I am not 100% sure about my classifications, you get the picture.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

Another bus crash, another driver flee's. It's about time that Thailand sorted out the companies. The drivers should be licensed, the company should

be licensed and if a driver flees after an accident he should be band for life.

These "sightseeing pickups" have seats on top of the roof (no joke), I really doubt you can get a license for that :-)

And of course, jacking up a standard pickup truck and putting people on the roof is not good for the trucks center of gravity,but I highly doubt these drivers even understand what that means.

Edited by monkeycountry

It is clear that this activity need regulating, I am not a kill joy but surely these vehicles need taking off the road and modifying to make them safer and need also insurance.

Surely this comes under the jurisdiction of the local police and DLT (Department of Land Transport), if the police can not or will not deal with it due influential pressures on the Island then they need to send in the army (or navy).

Action required:

1. Modify them so all seats within roll bar cadge.
  2. Seat belts fitted and mandatory wearing of.
  3. protection against arms or other limbs "frailing" outside the roll bar cadge.
  4. Limiting them to suitable roads, maybe on certain tracks or roads ban and provide alternative paths for walkers.
  5. special operator licences.
  6. Mandatory special training for their drivers.
  7. Routine monitoring of their activities, and suspension of operator licences for infringements.

Not rocket science.

• Like 1