Silver Jewelry Wholesellers In Chiang Mai?

Maui John

G'day,

Where are the silver jewelry wholesale companies concentrated in Chiang Mai? Is there a section of town where serious and experienced buyers go (as oppose to tourist retail buyers)? Would prefer it to be an area with many wholesale outfits so we can peruse them in a quick and efficient manner without having to bop all around town.

Thanks!

G'day,

Where are the silver jewelry wholesale companies concentrated in Chiang Mai? Is there a section of town where serious and experienced buyers go (as oppose to tourist retail buyers)? Would prefer it to be an area with many wholesale outfits so we can peruse them in a quick and efficient manner without having to bop all around town.

Thanks!

"Serious and experienced buyers" don't buy silver in Chiang Mai. The pros go to Kao San Road in Bangkok. Better prices, better selection. :o

G'day,

Thanks!

"Serious and experienced buyers" don't buy silver in Chiang Mai. The pros go to Kao San Road in Bangkok. Better prices, better selection. :o

There are "experienced buyers " that buy in Chiang Mai Georgie.They deal direct with the hilltribes etc. I know of at least one, but she is not the most honest person that I have ever met.

Last year she was selling silver at THB13/gram if you purchased over half a kg or more.I have no idea what the price is like now.

There should be many more people like her.

If you consider Hill Tribe items, they are obviously cheaper in CNX than in BKK. All other items are slightly more expensive in Chiang Mai. There are a few wholesalers in Chiang Mai though, which offer interesting stuff and at correct prices. Of course the choice and selection is not that big as in BKK. I used to buy a lot in Chiang May, several years ago. Still know where the shops are located (one of them is at Tha Pae Road) - but I can't remember the names. I can go through some invoices if you really need to know...

Edited by Abrasol

Hi Abrasol,

It would be a great help if you could provide the names of a few of the best wholesalers in CM for hill tribe jewelry. If it's too much trouble, don't worry about it.

We want to avoid getting to CM and having to rely upon the advice of the tourist industry folks we encounter as it's likely to have us wasting time at their "uncle's" shop. I've tried Google searches but it's a needle in the haystack situation.

Having recommendations from knowledgeable people like you is invaluable.

Thanks,

John

I pesnally know of a mexican buyer that comes to CM to buy 50 kilos at a time. he then returns to sell the silver as "mexican silver" in the US. :o

Khao San Rd does have some good deals on Silver but an astute buyer can buy factory direct (at better prices) around Chiangmai.

There are several types of silver jewelry available if you are looking to buy genuine "hilltribe silver" then Chiangmai is absolutely the best place to begin your search. You will not be buying sterling silver but a purer alloy of silver in the 95 - 98% range. The quality is usually cruder but has a market inthe US, Europe and the UK.

Then there is the sterling rendition hilltribe designs in Sterling. The finish and fitup of the pieces is somewhat more uniform and finer. The prices for the two are the same.

If you are interested in silver jewelry of a more modern design Khao san rd will have almost the same selection and price as Chiangmai wholesalers, but if you are looking to buy more than 4 - 5 kilos of jewelry it is worth your while to buy in and around Chiangmai, factory direct. The dealers at the Saturday market in Vientane buy in CM.

I only know of one

http://www.isaanimports.com

Ignore the isaan bit, it is in Chiang Mai

Have top agree with Chuchok the prices do seem a bit high if you are in Thailand or expecting to purchase large amounts. The site is priced and focused towards the western retail market with some decent discounts and free world-wide shipping the prices are quite good. If you are looking to start a business selling silver in your home country, can't hurt to drop them a line. They may be able to help you get started.

If this a one time thing and you want to buy less than a few kilos, no reason to head up to CM. The savings of 1 - 3 baht per gram is hardly worth the expense of the trip. if you are looking to start up a business featuring "hill-tribe silver" long-term, the savings then becomes worth it. There just aren't that many hill tribe folk making jewelry down Bangkok way there are villages that are a couple hours out of chiangmai and you can buy directly from the makers at their home as the pieces are finished. There are also several factories, co-ops and individual artists in the North. better selection and no middle man

Hi John,

It would be a great help if you could provide the names of a few of the best wholesalers in CM for hill tribe jewelry. If it's too much trouble, don't worry about it.

Sorry, I realised that all those invoices are in EU together with my tax declarations :o

But if anybody can't point you in the right direction, I can always drive over there and check it out.

Wholesalers are not difficult to find in CM anyway, shops with standard designs are located mainly at Tha Phae road and Hill Tribe items at Loy Khroh Road (spelling?) More heavy silver items are at Wualai Rd. - but this is a strange place I never really liked... don't ask me why.

Ive seen "White Hmongs" selling at those shops and I've seen some Hill Tribe (streeet sellers) buying their stuff at the night bazar. To find Hmong who manufacture without any connection, seems difficult to me. Your "connection" will probably get commission or/and not guide you to the cheapest guys ... and though buiseness men who know, will not tell you easily.

PS: you probably know that silver prices are extremely high at the moment..

Edited by Abrasol

Thank you Abrasol and Blackbart!

We're going to be in CM anyway, thought it would be interesting to see what was available. For many years we have dealt with a wholesaler in Honolulu who sells a lot of Thai silver. We're using the opportunity to see how much we can save by buying directly from the Thai's.

Thanks again,

John

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice. We're going to Khao San Road as well, just wondering what Chiang Mai had to offer. Sounds like, "not much".

Hi John, there is a lot in Chiang Mai,

Most Silver shops are concentrated around Wualai rd., driving along the moat (on the "outside") passed Chiang Mai gate take a left at the next traffic lights.

In San Kampaeng, on the road to Bo Sang there are a few big stores, that in my opinion are too expensive, as is Khao San.

edited, sorry, didn't see Wualai was mentioned before, it's worth having a look though, whether you like it or not :-)

Edited by cnxpat

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. We're going to Khao San Road as well, just wondering what Chiang Mai had to offer. Sounds like, "not much".

Hi John, there is a lot in Chiang Mai,

Most Silver shops are concentrated around Wualai rd., driving along the moat (on the "outside") passed Chiang Mai gate take a left at the next traffic lights.

In San Kampaeng, on the road to Bo Sang there are a few big stores, that in my opinion are too expensive, as is Khao San.

edited, sorry, didn't see Wualai was mentioned before, it's worth having a look though, whether you like it or not :-)

Some of the shops along the road to Sankhamphaeng will give 50% off which might bring it closer to what it's worth in the first place. Just a thought...........