Tamarind Village Hotel

Minburi

A couple of years ago I was checking places out for my father who was coming to visit. I went to Tamarind Village, explained the reason for my visit & asked to see a room. I should mention that I'm a white, 37 year old from the USA & on that day I was dressed casually but decently since I was planning on visiting a few nice hotels. Well, the staff at Tamarind Village were quite rude to me. The basically told me abruptly that they were full & couldn't show me a room. When I asked about rates they pushed a brochure at me & then ignored me completely. I really had the impression that they decided with one glance that I wasn't their type of guest & so naturally my father couldn't be either. In contrast, on the same day I was treated very nicely at the Imperial Mae Ping, for example . Of course, I could've got the wrong idea at Tamarind Village, maybe I just caught them at a bad time. But still I left with a bad feeling about the place. It is beautiful though.

I like the place. Excellent location in the old town, which is an interesting and relatively quiet area. Brilliant traditional style architecture and nice garden grounds.

On the negative side, the rooms are rather small and don't include a bath tub (shower only) which is strange for a relatively new hotel in this price range.

Walk in rates are best defined as 'amusing', as they are for most hotels in that range. 'Realistic' rates (around 1500 baht) can be found for example on www.precisionreservations.com

I would recommend it. Especially for the location and traditional, low-rise construction.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chedi is much better and also the Rajamka near Wat Pra Singh,both really good.cheers :D

Same price range? :o

Probably near same if you shop around on the internet for the room rate. :D

Also check out Yang Come Village, I really liked it there. Very friendly, peaceful and in the center of town. Probably also cheaper than Tamarind.

> Probably near same if you shop around on the internet for the room rate.

Nowhere even remotely close.

The Chedi: THB 8,603

Tamarind Village: THB 1,289

.............You were saying.....? :o

So yeah, I don't really doubt The Chedi is much better.. It's currently THE most expensive hotel within the city area.

Cheers,

Chanchao

> Probably near same if you shop around on the internet for the room rate.

Nowhere even remotely close.

The Chedi: THB 8,603

Tamarind Village: THB 1,289

.............You were saying.....? :o

So yeah, I don't really doubt The Chedi is much better.. It's currently THE most expensive hotel within the city area.

Cheers,

Chanchao

While mentioning the Chedi, whats with the architectural design of that place? Coming up the street from Changklan and getting the first view of the Chedi, one could be forgiven for thinking that it was a deserted steel works factory. The facade looks to be rusty and rotting siding.

Am I the only one who thinks the place looks like an eyesore?

Walk in rates are best defined as 'amusing', as they are for most hotels in that range. 'Realistic' rates (around 1500 baht) can be found for example on www.precisionreservations.com

You mean : "obscene" ?

:o

check it out on their website :

http://www.tamarindvillage.com/rate.html

5000 THB ! Against 1500 on all hotel booking websites.

Oh i forgot : on their webiste, breakfast costs 300 THB. But it's included with internet booking sites...

And with 10 % service charge on top of it, and of course VAT.

I love this hotel.

Yup.. I wonder why this remains 'business as usual' in the hotel trade.. To me this sounds like utter contempt for your customers, but hey...

And again, all hotels that consider themselves somewhat up-scale (4 -5 star) do this. Budget hotels by and large don't.

---

> While mentioning the Chedi, whats with the architectural design of that

> place? Coming up the street from Changklan and getting the first view of

> the Chedi, one could be forgiven for thinking that it was a deserted steel

> works factory. The facade looks to be rusty and rotting siding.

> Am I the only one who thinks the place looks like an eyesore?

I agree, it's hideous. I always imagened it would look nicer from the other side (river side) but I never bothered to go have a look.

Then there's the room design/furnishing.. Check out their web site, it all looks very somber and functional.. Kind of Japanese-ish in style, and not exactly cheerful...

Cheers,

Chanchao

Haven't seen the Chedi's rooms but if you make it past the ugly facade the inside is really very nice. It's a modern, Asian design - a friend of mine called it "Zen style" & really the atmosphere in the lobby & the restaurant in the house that used to be the old British consulate is great. Check it out, I was impressed. Best Indian food I've had in Chiang Mai too.

One of the attractions of CNX is the range of accomodations from THB 200 to USD 1000 or more. You basically get whet you pay for and as the zeros increase, I'd expect facilities and service to rise accordingly. Tamarind Village and the Ratchamanka (same architect owners) are trying to revive Lanna culture and style through both boutique hotels. Nothing wrong with that but Tamarind V staff were 'aloof' when I walked in asking their rates/brochure. No security at all as I did a quick self tour all over their manicured lawns. The front office at the Ratchamanka were professional, polite and welcoming and answered all queries. The security guards even took care of our mountain bikes while we were showed some rooms. The sizing up of potential guests by what they're asking or wearing is a sure way to lose business. Havent stayed at the Chedi (yet) One thing's for sure, it was closed for some months for renovations due to last year's flooding. Dont want to splash out US 250 and get Ping river water in my pool! The ultimate place to stay at these days is the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi out in Sankamphaeng. At USD 800++ for a mid range Thai style villa, staff and management here work hard at making sure you'll be back again. 2 floors, 2 TVs, 2 jacuzzzis, a living room with a piano, dining room, in villa sauna, kitchen with microwave, coffee machine complete with coffee beans. Thank God, it was a Press trip.