Flora & Fauna To Avoid

spectrum

I did read about the earthquake danger :o but some other person's question about getting rid of a cobra (in another sub-forum) started me thinking ...

Are there any dangerous varieties of flora or fauna we should be aware of in Chiang Mai ?

Any local reptiles, insects, plants, flowers etc. that are harmful to people or pets ?

Edited by spectrum

We had a quite big snake in our road last week (about 8ft long and about 4 inches in diameter) Not sure if it was dangerous or not but we kept the cats and dog in. A passing tuk tuk driver caught it rather expertly with a stick and popped it in a bag , no doubt to take home for dinner!

There are snakes around but you don't often spot them. There are also the wolves, hyenas and other wildlife that reportedly escapes form the night safari which is probably best avoided :o

Edited by miltonbentley

We had a quite big snake in our road last week (about 8ft long and about 4 inches in diameter) Not sure if it was dangerous or not but we kept the cats and dog in.

You're not a fisherman by any chance are you? :o The only snake I've seen here that approached 4" in diameter was a 15 foot long jungle Python.

Chiangmai gets plenty of snakes, but naturally depends on where you live. I get Cobras, Keelbacks and Whipsnakes where I live quite regularly, and the odd Scorpian, but pretty small.

Tastes quite nice with a salad and some crusty bread or even better as snake and chips... :D

I would have thought too many small bones would be an issue?

The ones in LOS are all a bit small and never tried them whereas the West African variey/species can be real giants and are are big enough for a feast. :D

Taste just like chicken..... :o

And don't forget the centipedes. I found a big one (maybe 10 inches long, don't know about the girth) in my bathroom one morning. Not sure how it got there, but I'm glad I didn't stumble in there in the dark...

Eek ! Can these hurt you or just give you the major creeps ?

And don't forget the centipedes. I found a big one (maybe 10 inches long, don't know about the girth) in my bathroom one morning. Not sure how it got there, but I'm glad I didn't stumble in there in the dark...

Eek ! Can these hurt you or just give you the major creeps ?

Depends if it was a centipede or a millipede.... the millipedes are usually black and have a roundish body and they are harmless, the centipedes are flatter and red in colour..... and they hurt. I've never been bitten myself, but I know people who have and they say that it is like being hit hard with the round end of a hammer.

Edited by Thaddeus

Speaking of snakes.....

In Maryland, they have an incredible amount of Cottonmouths which aside from being very venomous are also very aggressive.

The locals use hydrated lime to circle their yards and a snake will not cross this barrier...... I hear that it burns them.

I was told by a farmer up in Roi Et that they plant lemon grass around their houses and snakes will not cross the line.

I wonder, lime is calcium, and a lemon contains calcium, do you think lemon grass is citric also?

Just a thought.