Govt Suggests Security Check At First Point Of Entry

george

FM suggests security check at first point of entry

Caretaker Foreign Minister Kantathi Supamongkhon said that foreigners should have immigration and security checks at the first point they entered the Thai soil.

At present, the foreigners whose destination was Bangkok, they would have the checks at Bangkok Airport while those who took connection flights to other provinces will be checked at their final airport.

"My wish is to see all foreigners have their passports and luggages checked at the Bangkok Airport. This will help prevent any ill intentioned group from exploiting the rules to avoid the screenings at the Bangkok Airport," he said.

Foreign Ministry has been in full cooperation with securities agencies in updating the blacklists and the embassies will help by contacting foreign agencies in preventing any those in the blacklists from entering Thailand.

--The Nation 2006-08-22

Foreign Affairs Ministry is ready to support for checking visas of people, to prevent international terrorism

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is all set to inspect the visas of travelers at the airport, aimed at preventing international terrorism.

As for the news claimed by foreign countries that Thailand is the place where international terrorists are gathering, Foreign Affairs Minister Kantathi Suphamongkhon (กันตธีร์ ศุภมงคล) said that his ministry is concerned about the matter and will cooperate with other countries on exchanging related information. He also ordered international education institutes to strictly check foreign teachers’ profiles.

As for the countries that do not use visa for traveling, Mr. Kantathi said that this issue will be discussed again.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 August 2006

As for the countries that do not use visa for traveling, Mr. Kantathi said that this issue will be discussed again.

The end of the 30 day entry stamp? It has been suggested for about three years that this was "on the cards", maybe now it will happen.

The end of the 30 day entry stamp? It has been suggested for about three years that this was "on the cards", maybe now it will happen.

That may has an adverse affect on the tourist trade. One of the nice things for a lot of visitors is that they do not have to mess around getting visa's to visit the place.

can you just imagine the the delays - checking every foreigner as they arrive- maybe a good case of visa's for everyone

No matter how long the delays are, I doubt it will be as bad as Heathrow last week. Incidentally, it is not uncommon for foreigners to clear immigration on the first port of entry. It has been this way for the US as long as I can remember.

That may has an adverse affect on the tourist trade. One of the nice things for a lot of visitors is that they do not have to mess around getting visa's to visit the place.

The effect that it is most likey to have, is on those who have been living here for years on tourist visa's. The sand is gradually running out of the dolly, this place is not what it was, and will only become less and less "snook" as time goes by. On the visa issue, the US manages to vet people before they are allowed into the country, no reason why Thailand can't do the same, especially if they share the same computer system!

Edited by marquess

What could this possibly mean? Already when entering Thailand there is the most thorough checking of visa together with 2 or 3 photos with the new computer cameras. How would an immigration officer go about checking a person's background, say within 30 minutes, and this would lead to 10-20 hour queues? I wonder if any of the Thai politicians put their brains in gear before opening their mouths.

I love the daily pantomimes and just ignore all official announcements. No wonder the average Thai is not interested.

Here's proof that by the words of the Foreign Ministry that they are working hand-in-hand with TAT:

'Thailand Unforgettable' is new tourism slogan for 2007'

The Thai tourism industry is to be marketed under a new tagline, “Unforgettable Thailand”, as part of the new strategies for 2006/07 finalised at the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s annual marketing meeting here last week.

The new advertising and PR campaign will be launched soon and “focus on delivering an unforgettable experience to visitors,” said TAT Governor Mrs Juthamas Siriwan.

- Travel Daily News

Translation: "We want to give the impression that we will make it harder to get in, but in reality we have no clue how to stop terrorists. So we will do a bit of a song and dance to placate the media."

Hand-waving and hot air - politics as usual. BTW I don't think this is a Thai phenomenon at all - politicians all over the world do it.

Nothing will change, don't worry. They are definitely not revoking the 30 day visa waivers 'cause it will stop the package tourists from coming. Those nice tourists that have only 2 weeks vacation a year and therefore have to do all their spending in that time-frame...

[Edit: You would think that I could write a sentence without typos, but no...]

Edited by nikster

It will be a sad day if visas are required for all visitors to LOS. The trouble the authorities face is the protection of air passengers and the prevention of terrorist activities on Thai soil.

It seems that all law-abiding citizens are 'damned if they do, and damned if they don't' as regards wanting easy access to nations and minimal delays at airport entry and departure points.

Perhaps the British sense of 'resignation' to ever longer delays at check in and Passport Control is the attitude. After all, better a safe uneventful journey than one you might not even complete!

One wonders what might happen to the reciprocal arrangements will be where a nation's citizens suddenly find themselves no longer enjoying visa free access (for 30 days). Would all air travel, certainly to countries outside major trading blocks of North America and Europe require visa clearance first?

Edited by Laulen

can you just imagine the the delays - checking every foreigner as they arrive- maybe a good case of visa's for everyone

No matter how long the delays are, I doubt it will be as bad as Heathrow last week. Incidentally, it is not uncommon for foreigners to clear immigration on the first port of entry. It has been this way for the US as long as I can remember.

Except for baggage. I'm intrigued year after year that my bags are allowed to go straight through to the second airport, after arriving at an entry point in US, where they are picked up as routine domestically-travelled bags without inspection by Customs or the added scrutiny of an international flight arrival.

Edited by sriracha john

The announcement does not say that the controls would be tougher in Bangkok. It just says that those controls would not take place in other, relaxed, airports like Chiang Mai or Phuket. It should not change anything to the 30 no visa allowance. Am I wrong?

>Except for baggage. I'm intrigued year after year that my bags are allowed to go straight through

>to the second airport, after arriving at an entry point in US, where they are picked up as routine

>domestically-travelled bags without inspection by Customs or the added scrutiny of an

>international flight arrival.

Which US port of entry does this? Everytime that I travel back to the States, every piece of baggage must be picked up on the belt, cleared through customs, and then re-checked with the airline (at a special area just outside of customs) for the onward domestic flight.

-Jeff

Wonderful encouragement for the tourism industry, I'm sure. Why not just have competent, well trained immigration and customs officers in the main provincial airports that foreigners go to? Having to clear immigration and customs in Bangkok will no doubt make tourists miss connections and tour operators will have to eliminate certain tours which will be no longer viable. Typical knee jerk reaction from a minister appointed more for his willingness to brown nose the Great Leader than any visible signs of competence. He probably couldn't even say what percentage of Thai GDP and foreign exchange inflows comes from tourist revenues but it is very significant.

As pointed out elsewhere in Thai Visa the knee jerk crack down on foreign teachers because of one nut case, who most likely only fantasised that he committed the crime and wanted a free business class ticket back to the US, will create great problems for schools, students and foreign teachers alike. It is apparently OK for Thai teachers to continue to teach with the wholehearted support of their school after being accused of raping their under age students, a crime which carries a penalty of not less than 20 years in the Thai criminal code. Why not at least suspend them until the case is resolved? (Would it be OK for a foreign teacher with an unproven rape case pending to continue teaching in a Thai school?) Obviously the prospect of Thai children being raped by a farang paedophile teacher seems much more horrific to the powers than allowing them to be raped by Thai paedophile teachers who have all the right connections in powerful places.

What could this possibly mean? Already when entering Thailand there is the most thorough checking of visa together with 2 or 3 photos with the new computer cameras. How would an immigration officer go about checking a person's background, say within 30 minutes, and this would lead to 10-20 hour queues? I wonder if any of the Thai politicians put their brains in gear before opening their mouths.

I love the daily pantomimes and just ignore all official announcements. No wonder the average Thai is not interested.

I understood something else : immigration checks are maybe "weaker" on Phuket or Chiang Mai, than in Don Muang.

The point is : international travelers arrive in BKK, stay in transit zone, and then catch a flight to CM or Phuket. That's the main issue I guess.

>Except for baggage. I'm intrigued year after year that my bags are allowed to go straight through

>to the second airport, after arriving at an entry point in US, where they are picked up as routine

>domestically-travelled bags without inspection by Customs or the added scrutiny of an

Which US port of entry does this? Everytime that I travel back to the States, every piece of baggage must be picked up on the belt, cleared through customs, and then re-checked with the airline (at a special area just outside of customs) for the onward domestic flight.

-Jeff

Yes which Airport? Going through LAX or JFK or EWR i have to (in this order) clear immagration, clear customs, re check my bags on to their final destination.

The final re-check bag is not painful in LAX as after you pass customs you just chuck it back on a conveyor belt. I don't remember what it's like at JFK or EWR. They're usually my final destination and I don't have a connectiong flight from there.

Bangkok immigration is often a mess. Last Thursday (17/8) took me far over one hour to get my p/port stamped. A connecting flight for sure I would have.

Funny thing, even in HCMC they walk through long immigration-lines looking for passengers connecting to Hanoi and move them ahead of the queue.

-Jeff

Yes which Airport? Going through LAX or JFK or EWR i have to (in this order) clear immagration, clear customs, re check my bags on to their final destination.

The final re-check bag is not painful in LAX as after you pass customs you just chuck it back on a conveyor belt. I don't remember what it's like at JFK or EWR. They're usually my final destination and I don't have a connectiong flight from there.

Neither does SFO or SEA. And the one time I transited through SFO to Denver and didn't clear customs in SFO I had to go through customs in Denver.

Anyway, I wonder if they are going to have more Immigration officers in the new airport.

By killing a monkey you will scare the jungle. Maybe this is what they aiming towards, some sort of Scare tactict..Im not sure.

The increase airport security is very good even if it becomes a tedious process for visitors.

As for that black list, I just hope that Thais establish their own black list instead of copying blacklists from any agencies. In fear of the increased threats some of these organizations have put innocent people on these list just out of a hunch, a gut fealing.

No sufficient proof of terrorist connections were presented and and onlya after an extremely long legal process (lasting years) he was cleared.

I would love to go fast lane through customs but I rather walk into a country in control, a country that is trying to deal with a global pest.

For a starter when all the technicalities are worked out I am sure that this will apply only for specific countries. I would like to get my hands on reading material and get the full picture.

Except for baggage. I'm intrigued year after year that my bags are allowed to go straight through to the second airport, after arriving at an entry point in US, where they are picked up as routine domestically-travelled bags without inspection by Customs or the added scrutiny of an international flight arrival.

John - which entry port in the U S are you arriving at?

Barry

-Jeff

LAX, Los Angeles, every year for the last 4 years running...

All bags, except carry-on, tagged in BKK for their ultimate destination, which is AFTER, LAX.

*edit*...

say, just noticed

JGA

Group: Members

glad we got that first post outta ya finally... don't wait so long for your 2nd one, ok?

:D

:welcomeflag2:

edit #2.... sorry, forgot what the little welcome thaivisa sign was... :o

anyway... Welcome Jeff... :D

Edited by sriracha john

The announcement does not say that the controls would be tougher in Bangkok. It just says that those controls would not take place in other, relaxed, airports like Chiang Mai or Phuket. It should not change anything to the 30 no visa allowance. Am I wrong?

================================================================

Of course you're not wrong and I agree with you.

I really don't see what the fuss is all about; the man clearly stated: "Caretaker Foreign Minister Kantathi Supamongkhon said that foreigners should have immigration and security checks at the first point they entered the Thai soil."

Now; I'm no Rocket-Scientist, but like a few posters have already indicated; in the USA this has been normal practice (as it should !) for many, many moons.

It makes perfectly good sense to check all incoming travelers & their bagage & belongings, at their first point of entry.

What I would like to see clarified, is: how does this affect e.g. the twice-wekly arrival of Russian Tourist, being flown straight from Moscow into Utapao-Airport (Pattaya-International Airport), because the famous High-Tech methods sure as heck haven;t caught-up with that "Port-Of-Arrival" as yet !?! And I'm sure there are numrous International flights coming straight into Phuket & Chaning-Mai as well.

The thing I find important is, that the authorities are doing (at least) something to reduce the likelyhood of us all getting blown-up by the proverbial maniacs. I for one salute any (sensible) measure. And folks: I think we'ld better get used to the idea, because this is getting to be a pretty weird society that we live in, today !

Carpe Diem

JGK

Pattaya

I'm intrigued with your statement. Sure would like to know which USA you go to. My bags are picked off the belt, by me, and taken through customs where they can be searched if the agent feels a need and then are taken to the domestic side where they are put on the belt for the domestic check. Which airport do you fly into-I want that one.

John - which entry port in the U S are you arriving at?

Barry

geez... didn't mean to drag the thread too far off-topic with my initial comment... :o anyway, as stated ... LAX. I'm not sure why it is and just figured everyone did the same as I.

Apparently I guess from the responses it's not. I clear Imm. personally with my carry on and waltz right through all that baggage claim area/customs and go on to the domestic terminal where I catch my connecting flight. When I land at my ultimate destination, I pick up all my bags there.

Edited by sriracha john

I'm intrigued with your statement. Sure would like to know which USA you go to. My bags are picked off the belt, by me, and taken through customs where they can be searched if the agent feels a need and then are taken to the domestic side where they are put on the belt for the domestic check. Which airport do you fly into-I want that one.

sheesh... more?

:D

please refer to above...

*edit*

Gosh, now I'm concerned... have I ruined a nice deal? Will the TSA now institute new guidelines that make things more labor-intensive and bothersome?? :o

Edited by sriracha john