Govt Suggests Security Check At First Point Of Entry

george

Security check for passenger and hand carried bags at first point of entry is ok.

But one should not have to worry about the bags checked through to the final destination.

I was always irritated in the US, having to find my bags, carry them through customs and than hand it back to the airline, which is also time consuming and might make you miss a tight connection flight.

The European system I do prefer. The airline handles your checked bags up to your final destination where you than will have to face a customs officer, even arriving on a domestic flight.

For customs easy to identify, EU-domestic tags are in different color.

I don't understand why so many of you give Thailand such a flaming over tightening of visas. I've lived here more than five years, I've always followed the rules - B Class Visa, etc, and never had any problems.

You're not supposed to live here and work here on a tourist visa - ok?

I'd like to speak up, in defence of Cistoms & Immigration at Chiang Mai International Airport, whom I find to be just as professional and thorough as in Bangkok, but who are often more efficient and hence quicker. Thank You ! :o

I only wish that international-transit to CNX was possible with ALL airlines into BKK, not just restricted to TG and their special friends, The point being that my feet do NOT touch Thai soil until I reach the last international-airport on my journey.

TAT should change their slogan from "Amazing Thailand" to "Amazingly Delayed Thailand" - if the minister's suggestion is ever seriously considered !

I don't understand why so many of you give Thailand such a flaming over tightening of visas. I've lived here more than five years, I've always followed the rules - B Class Visa, etc, and never had any problems.

IT is time for all Asian countries to stop the racist crap and let normal people get normal jobs.

As far as following paper work and laws...did you just arrive? All of asia is based on finding decent ways around the laws. If people tried to follow the laws nothing would ever get done...

IT is time for all Asian countries to stop the racist crap and let normal people get normal jobs.

As far as following paper work and laws...did you just arrive? All of asia is based on finding decent ways around the laws. If people tried to follow the laws nothing would ever get done...

Sorry, breaking the law is just that, nothing decent about the way you do it.

Foreign Ministry has been in full cooperation with securities agencies in updating the blacklists and the embassies will help by contacting foreign agencies in preventing any those in the blacklists from entering Thailand.

The absurdity in this story as written, is the implication that the powers-that-be don't bother to keep these blacklists up-to-date on a regular basis. There is also the implication that the touted omniscient immigrations computer is perhaps not quite as all-knowing, all-seeing as the public has been led to believe.

When they talk about tightening up things it usually just means that people will, at least for a while, do what they are supposed to do. Then in a month or so, they can go back to sleep on the job. It's the blacklist that is a bad idea, it's the lazy guy who doesn't delete incorrect information from it that is the problem!

I can't help but think that this matter is not a simple one and is tied to other political considerations.. My theory will not be popular and for many not plausible. I feel this move is about the Urban Professional trying to reclaim his rightful place in the Thai Socio-economic pecking order.

The lesser educated foreign Englich Teacher is pulling down a wage that most better educated Thai Urban Professionals can't. A major bone of contention that is always on the burner. ManyEnglish Teachers can step off the boat and pick up 30,000 month whether they are educated or not.

I have a close friend who is Thai with a masters degree who can't land a job paying over 20,000.

IMO the political mess in Bangkok regarding Thaksin and his party are connected to this Urban Professional and his/her rightful place in the Thai socio-economic pecking order.

Thaksin and many of his political maneuvers to get Foreign investment after the crash of the late 90's have empowered both the rural Thai and the foreigner at the expense of those Urban Professionals.

Kind of like when the Americans (1975) were asked to leave forfeiting their roughly $10 billion a year investments. The Americans were empowering the rural poor.

Why would the Urban poor have a problem with Forieginers buying resort homes in Phuket, Pataya, etc...? Kind of a No Brainer to me. The Urban Probessional has again been priced out of the market and the Foriegner and his rural poor GF have bought up the real estate.

Thailand is both Nationalistic and Class conscious to an extreme.

I understood something else : immigration checks are maybe "weaker" on Phuket or Chiang Mai, than in Don Muang.

I don't know about Phuket but EVERY time I flew into Chiang Mai from an international flight, my bags have been openeds and checked. They have never been checked in Bkk unless they opened them behind the scenes and did not put any customs tape on the bag.

================================================================

Of course you're not wrong and I agree with you.

I really don't see what the fuss is all about; the man clearly stated: "Caretaker Foreign Minister Kantathi Supamongkhon said that foreigners should have immigration and security checks at the first point they entered the Thai soil."

Now; I'm no Rocket-Scientist, but like a few posters have already indicated; in the USA this has been normal practice (as it should !) for many, many moons.

It makes perfectly good sense to check all incoming travelers & their bagage & belongings, at their first point of entry.

The last time I flew to the USA they had us go through security right after we cleared customs. Taking our shoes off and the whole bit. I am no rocket scientist either so maybe that is why I am confused by this. Now if i (which i am not) was a phsycho suicide bomber and I managed to get on a flight in bangkok with explosives or whatever I do not think that I would wait until I got to the USA to get on a domestic flight to blow it up or hijack it. I would thank ALLAH that I did not get caught in BKK and take out the plane I am on over the ocean. So checking peoples luggage after they got off an airplane seems kind of stupid to me.

geez... didn't mean to drag the thread too far off-topic with my initial comment... :o anyway, as stated ... LAX. I'm not sure why it is and just figured everyone did the same as I.

Apparently I guess from the responses it's not. I clear Imm. personally with my carry on and waltz right through all that baggage claim area/customs and go on to the domestic terminal where I catch my connecting flight. When I land at my ultimate destination, I pick up all my bags there.

Very, very surprised by this comment.

Yes, bags are tagged for final destination, but in all the years (past seven) that I have been traveling between the US and Asia at the airport that is my point of entry into the US, I have always had to go thru immigration, pick-up my checked bags, lug them thru customs, and then set them back on a belt to be then loaded on to my connecting flight. Have been thru Seattle, Detroit, Minneapolis, LAX, San Fran, and NY. Always have had to take my own checked bags thru customs.

As far as Thailand is concerned, I think clearing immigration in Bangkok is a decent idea.

Thailand may review their policy in regard countries that do not require visa for travel, but I doubt they will start to require US or EU countries to get visa’s – too much of a potential effect on tourism.

geez... didn't mean to drag the thread too far off-topic with my initial comment... :o anyway, as stated ... LAX. I'm not sure why it is and just figured everyone did the same as I.

Apparently I guess from the responses it's not. I clear Imm. personally with my carry on and waltz right through all that baggage claim area/customs and go on to the domestic terminal where I catch my connecting flight. When I land at my ultimate destination, I pick up all my bags there.

Very, very surprised by this comment.

Yes, bags are tagged for final destination, but in all the years (past seven) that I have been traveling between the US and Asia at the airport that is my point of entry into the US, I have always had to go thru immigration, pick-up my checked bags, lug them thru customs, and then set them back on a belt to be then loaded on to my connecting flight. Have been thru Seattle, Detroit, Minneapolis, LAX, San Fran, and NY. Always have had to take my own checked bags thru customs.

As far as Thailand is concerned, I think clearing immigration in Bangkok is a decent idea.

Thailand may review their policy in regard countries that do not require visa for travel, but I doubt they will start to require US or EU countries to get visa’s – too much of a potential effect on tourism.

I fully agree with your comments above.

One of the many things I learned being in London two weeks ago was that standard scanning equipment used on checked in luggage is much more sensitive to explosive devices than the scanning equipment used on carry on luggage. It sounded like all commercial airlines using global airports had to use similar scanning equipment for checked in luggage (which makes me wonder why TG required hand inspection of luggage prior to checking it in on their Bangkok - New York flights when I took this flight last year - do they still do this?).

I understood something else : immigration checks are maybe "weaker" on Phuket or Chiang Mai, than in Don Muang.

I don't know about Phuket but EVERY time I flew into Chiang Mai from an international flight, my bags have been openeds and checked. They have never been checked in Bkk unless they opened them behind the scenes and did not put any customs tape on the bag.

We met a relative at CNX who had flown in from LAX via Taipeh and Bangkok. She was one of about 4 international passengers on this flight. Her baggage had missed the last connection and was delivered to her apartment next day with no checks whatsoever and profuse smiles and apologies.

This was in sharp contrast to a similar experience I had in Burma in 1999: flying Vientiane-Bangkok-Yangon. Again baggage missed the connection, and I was ordered out to the airport next day to unpack the entire caboodle watched by grim SPDC guards, who examined all my books, notes and book marks, and forced me to sign a declaration form.

suggest there is a happy medium between these two extremes...and acknowledge the need for security checks.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is all set to inspect the visas of travelers at the airport, aimed at preventing international terrorism.

I don't understand this.

Surely the Immigration Police are part of the Foreign Affiars dept and are doing the necessary checks already.

How many terrorists have sneaked into Thailand under the current system??

The end of 30 day on arrival visas will kill tourism dead!!

Malaysia is lax with bags checked to an outstation point.

I flew in from India to KL.

I cleared immigration in KL, but my bags went straight to Penang, where there was no customs check as I had arrived in an internal flight.......

Malaysia is lax with bags checked to an outstation point.

I flew in from India to KL.

I cleared immigration in KL, but my bags went straight to Penang, where there was no customs check as I had arrived in an internal flight.......

The issue in Thailand relates more to Immigration than Customs. In the past Bangkok was well known as the place where terrorists would meet to plan their dirty operations to be carried out in other countries. It was, sadly, considered a safe haven and perhaps just as sad, many of us considered ourselves safe reasoning that terrorists wouldn't bomb their own safe havens. With the problems in the south and elsewhere, all bets are now off. Thai authorities are now being much more vigilant than in the past and further changes are to protect us all.

As it relates to Customs, I would think you had to fill out Customs forms when flying into Malaysia, similar to most other countries. These days Customs are more focused on drug smuggling than bringing in consumer items, hence, while you normally have to clear Customs at the first port of entry (maybe not Malaysia), you simply go through the "Nothing To Declare" line. As it relates to security, your bags would have already been screened for explosives by the airports at departure.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is all set to inspect the visas of travelers at the airport, aimed at preventing international terrorism.

I don't understand this.

Surely the Immigration Police are part of the Foreign Affiars dept and are doing the necessary checks already.

How many terrorists have sneaked into Thailand under the current system??

The end of 30 day on arrival visas will kill tourism dead!!

I thought that the Immigration Police were an agency of some other Ministry, such as Interior. That's why the MoFA issues visas at overseas embassies and consulates, but when you are inside the Kingdom, the entirely separate Imm. Police rule our life. They can refuse a visa if they wish, probably.

Hello,

I don't understand this.

No not at all, as I know.

The Immigration Police is under the belt of the "Office of the Prime Minister"! :o

And if I not remember it wrong, this Office makes the Immigration Laws with the friendly assistance of the Immigration Leaders. :D

Good wishes,

thai-klaus.

can you just imagine the the delays - checking every foreigner as they arrive- maybe a good case of visa's for everyone

No matter how long the delays are, I doubt it will be as bad as Heathrow last week. Incidentally, it is not uncommon for foreigners to clear immigration on the first port of entry. It has been this way for the US as long as I can remember.

Except for baggage. I'm intrigued year after year that my bags are allowed to go straight through to the second airport, after arriving at an entry point in US, where they are picked up as routine domestically-travelled bags without inspection by Customs or the added scrutiny of an international flight arrival.

What are you talking about????????? This never happens.

Agreeing with cutter007: I think each time I come through to BKK en route to CNX, I never see Immigration until CNX, and my bags do see Customs, when I arrive in Chiang Mai. If they change it to where I have to go through Immig. & Customs in BKK and then fly domestically to Chiang Mai, okay.

can you just imagine the the delays - checking every foreigner as they arrive- maybe a good case of visa's for everyone

No matter how long the delays are, I doubt it will be as bad as Heathrow last week. Incidentally, it is not uncommon for foreigners to clear immigration on the first port of entry. It has been this way for the US as long as I can remember.

Except for baggage. I'm intrigued year after year that my bags are allowed to go straight through to the second airport, after arriving at an entry point in US, where they are picked up as routine domestically-travelled bags without inspection by Customs or the added scrutiny of an international flight arrival.

What are you talking about????????? This never happens.

Reader's attention is directed to Post #25, Post #28, and Post #30 of this thread... :o

Agreeing with cutter007: I think each time I come through to BKK en route to CNX, I never see Immigration until CNX, and my bags do see Customs, when I arrive in Chiang Mai. If they change it to where I have to go through Immig. & Customs in BKK and then fly domestically to Chiang Mai, okay.

My post was in reference to flying the "other" way, PB... from BKK to USA...

Edited by sriracha john

Since 9-11 I've traveled from BKK to the USA in excess of twenty times and entered the USA through SEA, SFO, LAX, MSP and ORD. EVERY TIME I have had to claim my checked bags and go through immigration, even though only one of those is my final destination airport. On three of those occasions my bags were searched, allbeit rather routinely and not delaying me more tham 5-15 minutes. IF you are entering the USA from Bangkok and NOT subject to inspection/search I don't want to be on the flight with you to your final destination because we all know inspection of the bags is pretty lax at BKK. Yes, the checked bags are x-rayed and carryon generally is. Except once last year when the machine apparently wasn't working by the gate and everyone was largely going through without any hint of security! A few wands passed and the odd bag opened and given a quick inspection was all that was going on.

Perceptions of improving security is good IMO.

"The issue in Thailand relates more to Immigration than Customs. In the past Bangkok was well known as the place where terrorists would meet to plan their dirty operations to be carried out in other countries. It was, sadly, considered a safe haven and perhaps just as sad, many of us considered ourselves safe reasoning that terrorists wouldn't bomb their own safe havens. With the problems in the south and elsewhere, all bets are now off. Thai authorities are now being much more vigilant than in the past and further changes are to protect us all."

I agree and if it causes a few delays and lines I can live with it.

~WISteve