What do you need for a medical certificate to apply for a work permit?

Too

Hello!

I'm waiting for my teacher's license to be mailed to me from The Teachers' Council Of Thailand

in Bangkok. And then I'm going to apply for a work permit with it, which is one of the documents

that I need for the work permit.

I know I need a medical certificate, too, but the secretary of my school told me I'd only need a piece

of paper from a doctor, not a blood test. She didn't even mention a X-ray.

What exactly do you need for a medical certificate?

Thank you.

• Like 1

Hello Arthurwait!

Thank you for your info.

I've already had my pulse and blood pressure taken. So all the other thing I'll have to do is

take a blood test for STDs / HIV, right? Don't I need a X-ray?

Thank you.

Don't go to a small clinic. Go to a hospital tell them that you need a health check for a teaching job. Every hospital knows what you need. They will check your lungs. (some hospitals will do an xray but most will just use a stethoscope) You cannot get it piece meal, You need to get everything done at one time on one form.

Blood test is a VDRL for 3rd stage syphilis. They don't require HIV. However, I am a propenent of getting tested for HIV and Hepatitis especially if you have ever had unprotected sex.

The health check is a piece of pie and shouldn't cost more than 250 baht.

Hello zeichen!

Thank you for your info.

I DID go to the local government hospital yesterday with a memo written in Thai that

said, *I'd like a medical certificate for a work permit. Do I need a blood test, too?* One

of the receptionists gave me a memo written in English, *What do you want?* Then

I called my secretary for my school and had her talk to her.

The receptionist took me to one of the desks where a nurse made a medical

examination only by interviewing with me, to another desk where I weighed myself,

had my pulse and blood pressure taken and then to a room where a doctor only

interviewed with me about my medical history and signed the certificate. I paid 100B

for only one piece of paper in the end and this took me as long as 3 hours!.

No stethoscope or X-ray was done!

I just talked with an English woman who is teaching in my town. She said that she had

to take a blood test and a X-ray but did both at the local government hospital.

Thailand Amazes You...

I had a work permit for 6 years and always go to a small private clinic, government hospitals will always have long queues.

The medical has always been the same blood and pulse check by nurse before (which they do for whatever reason you use a doctor anywhere here) then the doctor looks at you to see if you are alive and that's good enough for him. Followed by the syphilis blood test which was introduced about 3 years ago. It's aimed at workers from neighbouring countries where it is supposedly high. Syphillis can be cured if detected within a year so it's a good thing I suppose, although I hate needles.

Um that's it.

Never had an x-ray for this reason and no they don't check for HIV as many barstool/forum geniuses will tell you as most places don't have the facilities.

Use a small clinic during the day and you will be done within 40-60 mins usually (most is waiting for the result of the blood test).

Hello arthurwait!

Thank you for your info again!

Is it possible to go to a clinic for a blood test and submit the result along with the medical certificate

issued by the local government hospital to apply for a work permit, OR would it be better to go back to

the local government hospital for a blood test, too, OR to go to a clinic for a new medical certificate and

a blood test?

I DID wait for 3 hours for only a piece of medical certificate at the local government hospital yesterday.

I'll probably end up having to wait for more than 3 hours to take a blood test and get the result there.

I'd love to avoid this and go to a clinic instead, to be honest.

Thank you.

Edited by Too

This tests I was asked to do for WP!

Please apply your medical check-up indicates following results of;

1.โรคเรื้อน / LEPROSY

2.วัณโรคในระยะอันตราย / TUBERCULOSIS IN DANGEROUS STAGE

3.โรคเท้าช้าง / ELEPHANTIASIS

4.โรคติดยาเสพติด / CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM

5.โรคพิษสุราเรื้อรัง / DRUG ADDICTION

6.โรคซิฟิลิส ในระยะที่ 3 / TERTIARY SYPHILIS

If you are in Bangkok, please do yourself a big favor and go to BunRunGrad hospital. Go to the walk-in clinic building, go to floor 15, and tell the receptionist you need a medial certificate for a work permit. You will meet a doctor who will ask you a few questions, sign a form, and you will be out with a medical certificate for 900 baht. No tests, no blood work, nothing. The most hassle free medical certificate in BKK.

I'm still waiting for my teachers licence also in order to get work permit and therefore need extension of stay until they sort out but need medical certificate- went today to local hospital - took height, weight, blood pressure, doc listened to my heart with stethoscope- signed cert in and out in 20 minutes cost 50 baht

Edited by phil2407

Better check with the Work permit people.. they will ultimately stamp your paper work.. it is funny.. The people in the offices....thumbsup.gif have no shame..

They especially like to call out.. BE SURE to GET your SPHYLLIS TEST.. One of the senior female teacher thought this was a hoot.

OP you already have the certificate from the govt hospital you went to the other day.

You need to remember this is Thailand corners are cut, the hospital you went too cut corners and did not do everything, but gave you the

certificate.

I have always just used a small clinic. They have never taken any blood. just the standard stuff (check weight, blood pressure, etc) then the doc asks if you have syphilis or any other diseases you tell him no and it's done. Typically takes me 5-10 mins and costs about 100B.

I usually go mid afternoon as then the clinic has slowed down from the morning rush. Post a picture of the cert you have and we can confirm you have the right one.

Most of the department of labour offices don't really care what you get checked, so long as it's got a doctor's signature on the certificate.

However, I've heard that there are some offices which check.

imo just submit the certificate you already have, it should be fine. If it's not, then the school will come back to you and say that it wasn't the right one, and for you to do another test before they re-apply.

For my driver's licence test, the photocoping vendor at the testing office had a stack of pre-signed medical tests available for anyone who needed them, 50 THB and the photocopier would fill in your name. The medical certificates really are just a formality (Although if you "look" sick, then they might require them).

Hello!

I went back to the local government hospital the next day. I got there past 3 pm, by which time it had slowed down. The staff and the nurses still remembered me

and I told them I'd also need a blood test (VDRL). Then one of them took me straight to a room where I got my blood collected. I waited half an hour and was taken to another room where a doctor interviewed with me, said I had been tested negative and signed the certificate. I paid only 50B for it.  I took it back to my school where the secretary checked it out, but she told me she couldn't find anything about the blood test on the paper so I got back to the hospital again and saw the doctor going back home. I told him I needed to have the result of the blood test on the certificate, and he started to complain to the staff and the nurses about not doing it for me. He finally put down on the paper, *VDRL Negative!*

Amazing Thailand...

• 3 years later...
On 2/14/2015 at 10:17 AM, Too said:

Hello!

I went back to the local government hospital the next day. I got there past 3 pm, by which time it had slowed down. The staff and the nurses still remembered me and I told them I'd also need a blood test (VDRL). Then one of them took me straight to a room where I got my blood collected. I waited half an hour and was taken to another room where a doctor interviewed with me, said I had been tested negative and signed the certificate. I paid only 50B for it. I took it back to my school where the secretary checked it out, but she told me she couldn't find anything about the blood test on the paper so I got back to the hospital again and saw the doctor going back home. I told him I needed to have the result of the blood test on the certificate, and he started to complain to the staff and the nurses about not doing it for me. He finally put down on the paper, *VDRL Negative!*

Amazing Thailand...

If the labor department asks you how much you paid, it has to be more than 500 baht, otherwise they get it. 

On 11/02/2015 at 4:33 PM, timendres said:

If you are in Bangkok, please do yourself a big favor and go to BunRunGrad hospital. Go to the walk-in clinic building, go to floor 15, and tell the receptionist you need a medial certificate for a work permit. You will meet a doctor who will ask you a few questions, sign a form, and you will be out with a medical certificate for 900 baht. No tests, no blood work, nothing. The most hassle free medical certificate in BKK.

Not quite as hassle free as one of the clinics on Silom. In, out in 5 minutes. Signed medical certificate 100 baht. Accepted at Labour office. 

• 1 month later...

When I was using my Non-B visa and working directly as MD of my companies, and therefore needed a Work Permit, it DID require a blood test for Syphilis on a few occasions, which did require me to go to the hospital that could perform the blood test.  Other times, it was the simple 50-100 baht "check pulse, blood pressure, stethoscope" and basic medical background questions that were all done at a small clinic.  

Just now, PunkRockerGuy said:

When I was using my Non-B visa and working directly as MD of my companies, and therefore needed a Work Permit, it DID require a blood test for Syphilis on a few occasions, which did require me to go to the hospital that could perform the blood test.  Other times, it was the simple 50-100 baht "check pulse, blood pressure, stethoscope" and basic medical background questions that were all done at a small clinic.  

I have NEVER encountered the chest x-ray requirement for any Work Permit I had from 2002-2015 or so.